HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs/Flames

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 09:25 AM
  #26
DBU
Gotta Go Fast
 
DBU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,056
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
so let me get this straight as a Leafs fan

you hand Calgary TC AND eat up a bunch of his salary TO GET a possible 3RD RND pick if he plays X number of games

and why as a Leafs fan would you do something this kind and charitable for the Calgary Flames

unless of course you were thinking of flipping that "conditional 3RD RND pick for a conditional 1ST RND pick"

then it would make sense
Please don't make it sound like you're doing the Flames a favor here. The Flames could have had Connolly for free a week ago, why on earth would we shell out a pick for him now?

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:35 AM
  #27
LEAFMAN99
Registered User
 
LEAFMAN99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ur mom
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
so let me get this straight as a Leafs fan

you hand Calgary TC AND eat up a bunch of his salary TO GET a possible 3RD RND pick if he plays X number of games

and why as a Leafs fan would you do something this kind and charitable for the Calgary Flames

unless of course you were thinking of flipping that "conditional 3RD RND pick for a conditional 1ST RND pick"

then it would make sense
Right now Connoly's value is in the negatives, if he had any positive value whatsoever, someone would have picked him up when he went through waivers. From the original post, it said that Calgary would be aquiring TC because they need someone who can play on the top 6, so obviously he would be playing x number of games assuming he was to not get injured. The leafs arent using TC right now nor do I see him getting a call up, he is taking a roster place (and first line minutes) away from someone on the marlies, in my books that hurts the leafs more than it helps us. If we took half his salary, it would bring TC's value up just enough for us to gamble on his health and potentially get a probable early 3rd in a deep draft, yeah, il definitely take that for a guy who we wont see in a leafs uni again and some cap space that we wont use until this summer anyway (technically by taking half his salary in the trade, we gain half his cap hit -900k in cap room).

LEAFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:58 AM
  #28
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,255
vCash: 50
Don't want anything to do with this guy. Stajan is much better and we have other options better than Stajan. It would be terrible asset management for the Flames to make this move. We didn't claim him on waivers, we obviously have zero interest in him.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:47 AM
  #29
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs
 
Brewsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: King County
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,077
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Calgary Flames, the place where all bald/ing guys go.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:49 AM
  #30
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,971
vCash: 500
hehehe

connolly plus cash for a 3rd
now thats worthy of a thread

throw in komisarek?

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:52 AM
  #31
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Calgary Flames, the place where all bald/ing guys go.
I hope so that means we get Getzlaf next year

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:59 AM
  #32
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
Please don't make it sound like you're doing the Flames a favor here. The Flames could have had Connolly for free a week ago, why on earth would we shell out a pick for him now?

hmmm never thought about that?????

you're right why would they shell out a pick when they could have had him for free

excellent thinking

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:01 AM
  #33
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK
 
therealkoho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: the Prior
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFMAN99 View Post
Right now Connoly's value is in the negatives, if he had any positive value whatsoever, someone would have picked him up when he went through waivers. From the original post, it said that Calgary would be aquiring TC because they need someone who can play on the top 6, so obviously he would be playing x number of games assuming he was to not get injured. The leafs arent using TC right now nor do I see him getting a call up, he is taking a roster place (and first line minutes) away from someone on the marlies, in my books that hurts the leafs more than it helps us. If we took half his salary, it would bring TC's value up just enough for us to gamble on his health and potentially get a probable early 3rd in a deep draft, yeah, il definitely take that for a guy who we wont see in a leafs uni again and some cap space that we wont use until this summer anyway (technically by taking half his salary in the trade, we gain half his cap hit -900k in cap room).

May I ask you why it is important for the Leafs to save this half of 900k in cap....there must be a logical reason

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:04 AM
  #34
weaponomega
Registered User
 
weaponomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,566
vCash: 500
The flames are already way too soft a team with

Bouwmeester
Stajan
Backlund
Hudler
Tanguay
Stempniak
Butler

They don't need another pansy on their team.

weaponomega is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
  #35
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Don't want anything to do with this guy. Stajan is much better and we have other options better than Stajan. It would be terrible asset management for the Flames to make this move. We didn't claim him on waivers, we obviously have zero interest in him.
Stajan is not better i've watched his entire career from day 1 and matt stajan isn't worse but he's no better.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:15 AM
  #36
IWD
...
 
IWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Spain
Posts: 5,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Would rather play Stajan then trade for Connolly atleast Stajan can play defense like we need him.
Connolly's defensive play hovers just above average. He's just soft and gets neutralized very easily. Ridiculous skill, but he's fragile and really belongs in a non-contact league given the way he plays.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 10:21 AM
  #37
LEAFMAN99
Registered User
 
LEAFMAN99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ur mom
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
May I ask you why it is important for the Leafs to save this half of 900k in cap....there must be a logical reason
the cap hit doesnt really matter, my argument was that if this deal was offered up that it SHOULD be a no brainer for us to take it, TC will never play for us again, we gain a little more cap room that in reality doesnt really matter, but its still something we gain, and we get the distinct possibility of getting the conditional pick based on games played since the offer stated that they would be getting him because he could play in the top 6. I dont see where the leafs lose in the deal, thus i would do it from a leafs perspective.

Also, i dont think this trade would work out as in order to play in the NHL, TC would need to clear re entry waivers.

BTW trading him to CGY right now would save us 1.475mill in cap. (4.75mill cap hit / 2 - 900k that we already saved in having him in the minors)

LEAFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:13 PM
  #38
TheSilencer
Registered User
 
TheSilencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,814
vCash: 500
Please take him

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:19 PM
  #39
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post

Tim Connolly


Conditional 3rd round pick, depending on how many games Connolly plays. Leafs also retain a portion of Connolly's salary.

Flames need a center that can play in the top-6.
Is that even legal under the CBA? Have teams ever retained a portion of salary in the cba era? I remember the Leafs paying Larry Murphy's salary in Detroit for that year back when but first, Im not even sure you can do that anymore, and you certainly cant split the salary cap number between teams.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:19 PM
  #40
DBU
Gotta Go Fast
 
DBU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,056
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
hmmm never thought about that?????

you're right why would they shell out a pick when they could have had him for free

excellent thinking
Huh?

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:27 PM
  #41
flameaholic
Registered User
 
flameaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFMAN99 View Post
Also, i dont think this trade would work out as in order to play in the NHL, TC would need to clear re entry waivers.
There's no re-entry waivers in the new CBA. The Leafs could call Connolly up right now and insert him straight into the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Is that even legal under the CBA? Have teams ever retained a portion of salary in the cba era?
Retaining salary has been added to the new CBA. As a matter of fact the Leafs retained a portion of Matthew Lombardi's salary before trading him to the Coyotes.

You guys need to brush up on your CBA.


Last edited by flameaholic: 01-31-2013 at 04:27 PM.
flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:16 PM
  #42
LEAFMAN99
Registered User
 
LEAFMAN99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ur mom
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
There's no re-entry waivers in the new CBA. The Leafs could call Connolly up right now and insert him straight into the lineup.
Interesting, thanks for the info

LEAFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:26 PM
  #43
Skobel24
#Ignited
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,243
vCash: 50
Good god no. Marlies can keep him for the 10 games he'll be healthy for.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:28 PM
  #44
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs
 
Brewsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: King County
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,077
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Knowing CAL and TOR trades it should be

TOR: Bartschi
CAL: Komisarek, MacArthur, Fraser

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:35 PM
  #45
Stryker Island
Registered User
 
Stryker Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 293
vCash: 500
Calgary should never, ever trade with the Maple Leafs again.

Ever.

Stryker Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:07 PM
  #46
Skobel24
#Ignited
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,243
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Knowing CAL and TOR trades it should be

TOR: Bartschi
CAL: Komisarek, MacArthur, Fraser
No.

Baertschi, Kiprusoff, Glencross

Komisarek, Connolly, Orr, MacArthur

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:24 PM
  #47
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,129
vCash: 500
Basically... this is a rental-type deal. The Leafs weren't prepared to retain part of Connolly's salary to get rid of him at the beginning of the season, and there doesn't seem to be much urgency in doing so right now, and if we lose a centre or two to injury, Connolly could be quite valuable to our NHL team.

They're probably best served waiting until the deadline when draft picks get valued the lowest relative to players who can provide immidiate help.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
  #48
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
no no no no no, just no...... he was on waivers no Way we pay to have this guy on our roster
No one was intrested in him at 4.5 million. I'm not saying you'd pay a 3rd for him but I bet there would be takers if Toronto retained 3.5 million. Something along the lines of ...

To Calgary : Tim Connolly at 1 million

To Toronto: 4th 2013

Sounds pretty fair to me. He did put up 36 points last season in less games.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:59 PM
  #49
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
No one was intrested in him at 4.5 million. I'm not saying you'd pay a 3rd for him but I bet there would be takers if Toronto retained 3.5 million. Something along the lines of ...

To Calgary : Tim Connolly at 1 million

To Toronto: 4th 2013

Sounds pretty fair to me. He did put up 36 points last season in less games.
You can't you can only take at most half his cap hit and Connolly at 2.75 is still not interesting for any pick.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:59 PM
  #50
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
No.

Baertschi, Kiprusoff, Glencross

Komisarek, Connolly, Orr, MacArthur
Still our best trade with Toronto

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.