HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Hawks 2, Red Wings 1 (OT) - PK (Not Subban) Rules Edition

Old
01-27-2013, 11:45 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Oduya +8, Jammer +6.

Lead the hawks, just sayin'.

How may here wanted them gone?
Being on the ice with the top six rather than the bottom six more often will do that.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:14 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Being on the ice with the top six rather than the bottom six more often will do that.
Good point, but those numbers are still impressive considering the Hawks have 15 ESGF (+7 powerplay) and 11 ESGA (+1 while on the powerplay and while shorthanded).

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:56 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

yep, Oduya and Hjammer are impressiv this year and when they are on the ice, we score a lot of goals without goals against.

What did Datsyuk do to be the #2 Star of the game? KrŁger had a hell of a defensiv game. You rarely see a player being awarded for the PK after the game.

b2b and the PKs took it's tall but we still managed to end up with the W. This team is legit

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:59 AM
sup bro*

Kruger is making me a believer

sup bro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:24 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Yeah i was a little shocked at Dats getting the 2nd star too. Its only a "Star of the Game" award but i thought Keith could have gotten it. Huge goal to set the tempo of the game early on and played great defense the entire night. Glad to see Kruger and Craw get recognition though. Should be a nice confidence boost for them

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:53 AM
clydesdale line

I was at the game. Hell of an atmosphere and time. Kruger was definitely impressive and Saad was all over the ice. Great games for both.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:50 AM
Azilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Since I would say 90 percent of us posters were fans through the dark days, this is as fulfilling as it gets, eh?
I guess I'm joining the other 10% then. Never gave hockey much of a chance growing up (it was just never easy to watch on TV, especially with no HD) and I watched plenty of other sports. Lost interest in all sports except soccer (always my #1 sport), and then I happened to catch the start of the 2011 playoff series against Vancouver. That series turned me into a hockey fan (after completely ignoring the Stanley Cup run and the following regular season). I guess that means that for me, the dark days are that brutal losing streak last February.

Anyway, it was pretty obvious that after that physical game in Columbus and having to kill 6 penalties in the first 2 periods tonight, the team was exhausted by the 3rd period. I was fully expecting a loss after Detroit tied it. I'd have been ok with a point, but somehow it turned into 2.

Azilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:36 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

The team is literally blowing my mind right now. Besides maybe Bickell(way to trip over your feet and crash into Howard's net last night), everyone is pulling their weight.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:37 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

just imagine what Saad will do when he found his confidence at the NHL level. Guy will be a great option on our team BEHIND Toews, Kane, Sharp and Hossa.

Is it just me or do they want to keep Stalberg in the bottom 6 until he extended his contract? We can roll 4 lines with this too, but Stalberg in the Top 6 would have more points than he has

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:57 AM
CS85
Tell 'em, Mean Gene!

Send a message via AIM to CS85
I thought Saad was going to get #1 when he was screaming to the net in OT. That being said, what the hell is going in with Frolik and Kruger? These guys are EVERYWHERE in PK and Frolik looks like a totally different player.

Kruger's still undersized, but he's got this quiet confidence to his play that wasn't there before. In fact, the confidence has permeated the entire roster.

Keith is day and night from this year to last season. He had no balls at all in 2012, and was terribly indecisive and hesitant in his play. Kane is puck-handling and scoring like a son of a *****, passing is at an all-time best, defensive stickwork and fundamentals are just off the charts, etc, etc.

This can't last, which sucks, because there's still one major problem, and that's goaltending. Crawford's had some decent games so far this season, but he still radiates zero confidence, and we all saw what Emery is in his god awful start. The scoring can't always come, and the defense surrounding Craw won't always bail him out with stellar play.

That being said, amazing start.

CS85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:35 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
The team is literally blowing my mind right now. Besides maybe Bickell(way to trip over your feet and crash into Howard's net last night), everyone is pulling their weight.
So because he fell he isn't playing well. I could list 3-4 people who are playing much worse then Bickell. Bollig is useless unless he is fighting someone, Shaw has been pretty inconsistent and looks lost at times, Brookbank looks like he isn't worth the paper his contact is printed on and Emery is no better then some beer leaguer ATM. Plenty of other guys to go after then Bickell.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Kruger is making me a believer
Compared to last season, Kruger's ice time is down, his face-off % is worse, his offensive stats project to be less...

I am certainly a believer, that Kruger is a smaller, weaker, slower, less offensive player and cheaper version of Frolik.

We NEED another C.

Marotte Marauder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:01 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Compared to last season, Kruger's ice time is down, his face-off % is worse, his offensive stats project to be less...

I am certainly a believer, that Kruger is a smaller, weaker, slower, less offensive player and cheaper version of Frolik.

We NEED another C.
Yes if this where fantasy hockey Kruger might not be your best pick.

Anyone watching the game can see Kruger is a much better player compared to a year ago.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:13 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Yes if this where fantasy hockey Kruger might not be your best pick.

Anyone watching the game can see Kruger is a much better player compared to a year ago.
I saw him clearly lose the draw to Z which resulted in us running around in the D zone, the Kruger weakly attempting to clear the zone from above the circle-fail, ending with him holding Z's stick to start the 2nd period parade to the box.

His one point came on an uncontested pass to Frolik.

He is faster than last year and does get in passing lanes, I'll give him that.

Give me specifics of his improvement.

If he could learn to win draws, he could be a very effective PKer for a long time in this league, that's his upside max.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Quote:

We NEED another C.
You can not be serious??

Kruger is stronger, faster and plays with more confidence than last year. Yes, we need another center but not at Kruger's expense, he is without a doubt one of the organization's top 12 forwards.

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:24 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra View Post
You can not be serious??

Kruger is stronger, faster and plays with more confidence than last year. Yes, we need another center but not at Kruger's expense, he is without a doubt one of the organization's top 12 forwards.
Stronger? Yes, but still well below NHL average. Thrown to the ice at least 3-4 times per game.

Faster? Yes, he now has perhaps NHL average speed. Before you argue, think... ever seen Kruger catch anyone? Anyone?

He can replace Frolik on 4th line wing right now for my money but we still NEED another C.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:25 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
I saw him clearly lose the draw to Z which resulted in us running around in the D zone, the Kruger weakly attempting to clear the zone from above the circle-fail, ending with him holding Z's stick to start the 2nd period parade to the box.

His one point came on an uncontested pass to Frolik.

He is faster than last year and does get in passing lanes, I'll give him that.

Give me specifics of his improvement.

If he could learn to win draws, he could be a very effective PKer for a long time in this league, that's his upside max.
Really, a bad play, good way to judge his whole season.

I didn't realize players can't develop anymore after the age of 22. Good to know.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Really, a bad play, good way to judge his whole season.

I didn't realize players can't develop anymore after the age of 22. Good to know.
Would you like more examples? I could try and remember at least one from each game.

He can certainly develop at any age, however give me an innate ability of his other than reading the ice? Will he develop a shot? Doubt it. Will he become a fast player? Doubt it? Will he become a stronger than average player? Doubt it. Will he improve at the dot? I hope so.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:44 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Would also like to see Hayes here, but don't mess with success. Rozy does need to play over Brookbank. I assume Q is just switching them out to keep Rozy fresh for the playoffs.
The success has not come from Shaw. He is now playing like the late round draft pick he was .. and it has been going on for a while (he was no better than that in the AHL). Q needs to put him back on the wing or sit him. As someone said, you canít teach size and without it he canít seem to play the game he wants to (and unfortunately for him probably needs to to stay in the league).

Back to our success: The 4 points over the weekend was nice Ö.. I just hope that the teamís performance for the past 7 periods or so has been compromised more by fatigue of a very difficult schedule, than anything else. They were anything but sharp.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:50 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
If you watched the replay, it was a sneaky and dangerous knee shot by Eaves Ö.. I hope BB will remember that cheap shot that could easily have blown out his knee.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Kurtosis
Win it for Theo

Quote:
Would you like more examples? I could try and remember at least one from each game.

He can certainly develop at any age, however give me an innate ability of his other than reading the ice? Will he develop a shot? Doubt it. Will he become a fast player? Doubt it? Will he become a stronger than average player? Doubt it. Will he improve at the dot? I hope so.
He skates pretty well so I do not know what you are talking about there.

He is a depth forward that has been pretty amazing on the penalty kill, something this team needs. If anything he allows Toews, Sharp, Bolland (your boy!) et. al to see less ice time killing penalties which is a huge positive.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Before you argue, think... ever seen Kruger catch anyone? Anyone?
I have seen him bust his ass to get back and bust up plays. His defense is his strength right now. His play is exactly what this team needed.

Toews' avg PK time is down about a minute from last year.

Oh, his points are down because he is playing 4th line instead of 2nd/3rd like last year.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Good thing he already excels defensively and on the PK.

You're missing the forest for the trees.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:26 AM
hockeydoug

Thrilled with the 2pts. Thought the schedule would have caught up with them. I wasn't happy about Q starting Crawford, thought with a tired team in front of him the mistakes would rack up and I didn't want to see his confidence rattled. Turned out to be a very good move by Q. Hawks were out of gas and Crawford had a solid game.

Seabrook certainly looks like he hasn't played, he's had some bad shifts this year. Keith looks a little sharper, and I think that will be easier to see soon. Oduya playing very well, and I think most have noticed how nice of a start Hjalmarsson is having. I hope the bottom pair can log more minutes than the last 2 games when they go on the road trip.

Kruger is double or nothin' on the dot. Looks great for a few draws and then he looks like a dman with somebody else's stick for a few.

Never would have imagined 6-0 start given the schedule, nice to see them rack up the points now. So early in the year, I'm still not sure how much credit to give the pk and how much to pin on a bad opposing pp units. Either way, I'm enjoying the results.

hockeydoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:27 AM
sketch22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS85 View Post
That being said, what the hell is going in with Frolik and Kruger? These guys are EVERYWHERE in PK and Frolik looks like a totally different player.
I think it is just confidence. Both Kruger and Frolik played during the lockout (AHL and overseas respectively) and both did quite well in their time away from the NHL.

The most improved player (to me at least) is definitely Hammer. Going to Italy and pretty much dominating (I can't remember off-hand, but I'm pretty sure he was at a PPG pace at one point) seems to have him playing better than ever.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote