HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 08:03 PM
do0glas

vCash: 500
I have a question about sharpening.

Since day one I've been running with 1/2" hollow. Lately it's felt to have too much bite, and I find my skating to be a lot better as it dulls to it's next sharpening appt.

I'm 5'10 145 and I have good leg strength, my forward stride is faster than most on the ice a lot of games.

Am I ready for a more shallow hollow? If I am overestimating my skating ability, will I lose too much turning ability to cope?

I'd love some thoughts from experience!

Old
01-27-2013, 08:11 PM
AIREAYE

It does sound like you could benefit from something like a 5/8ths. Doesn't hurt to try. In the past, I've switched between the two to find the best hollow but I settled for the 1/2" (100/50).

There are a few customers now and again who ask if they should get the hollow that will last them but be awkward the first few times around, given that they will be comfortable after a length of 'break-in' time. For those people with easy access to a good sharpener, that should never be a consideration. Why hamper yourself? Just get the right hollow immediately.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:38 PM
filth e mcnasti

Ok, so tried on a pair of reebok 7ks today, and still had the same issue, it was a D width boot, and it felt great initially but after skating for 5 minutes it hurt the outside, and top of my foot. BLEH.

Also, I think my weight is shifting to the outside of the foot...supination? My ankle tends to shift towards the outside of the boot... I'm thinking the superfeet are not helping this either.

Any ideas?

Old
01-28-2013, 01:24 AM
Ted Black

Hey guys, I'm through reading the first 12 pages and I'll continue through the rest of the thread tonight or in the next couple of days. I'm trying to get as much "intel" as possible now that I'm in the skate market.

Background on me:

I saw another poster on here describe himself as skating for just three years, but that that fact surprises people; I'm in the same boat. I would consider myself a strong skater for my level at least. I've attended an adult skills camp that's ran by an ex-NHLer the last three summers . So I've got the basics down pretty well.

My first pair of skates (and the skates that I still own) are Reebok 5k. Can anyone tell me what year these were made or which years they were available? I think at the time there were 7k, 9k, and probably 11k above it in Reebok's line at the time, but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me out with this? I bought them in March '10, but I think they were at least a year old when I bought them new. I'm curious what level of skate I had and what the equivalent would be in this years RBK line.

I had great luck with my 5ks, but they're worn (at least I think). I've skated 3-4 times a week the last 3 years of them and I'm about 220lbs. I'm hoping to get into a new skate with better technology that can help me get up to the next level. From everything I've read, I think the right skate can provide me the opportunity to do so.

My 5ks fit great. I did a lot of reading before I bought them initially so I knew what to look for and we have one good LHS here in Omaha. I might stick with RBK again but I tried on a pair of 14k or 16k skates a year ago (whenever they came out) and to me it felt like Reebok had totally changed the shape of the boot? I'll have to try again. I plan on trying on lots of different skates but of course I'd love some insight from the pros in this thread too.

I did the pencil test last night on my skates and the pencil barely touched, so I guess I passed. If I could have it my way I would pick a skate that was SLIGHTLY wider in the midfoot (is this the forefoot? lol) and maybe slightly deeper than what I'm in now. When I first got my 5ks my left skate pinched a bit on the midfoot, but it went away very quick. In fact, I don't know that it ever bothered me on the ice, possibly just when I first got them and wore them around the house a bit; can't remember for sure.

So, here is where I stand:

I love my RBK skates that I've had and common sense would say to go RBK again, but after trying them on last year, I don't think it's going to be this easy. From what I've read, similar lines that might work are CCMs and Supreme. Is this correct?

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I'm probably going to end up getting the second best pair in whatever brand I end up getting. The top of the lines are just a bit too expensive.

Thanks for the help in advance. Look forward to some helpful comments! :fingers crossed:

Old
01-28-2013, 01:26 AM
Ted Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I have a question about sharpening.

Since day one I've been running with 1/2" hollow. Lately it's felt to have too much bite, and I find my skating to be a lot better as it dulls to it's next sharpening appt.

I'm 5'10 145 and I have good leg strength, my forward stride is faster than most on the ice a lot of games.

Am I ready for a more shallow hollow? If I am overestimating my skating ability, will I lose too much turning ability to cope?

I'd love some thoughts from experience!
Try 9/16ths. 1/2 to 5/8 is a pretty big jump.

I change my hollow often depending on ice conditions and the time of year.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:04 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Black View Post
Try 9/16ths. 1/2 to 5/8 is a pretty big jump.

I change my hollow often depending on ice conditions and the time of year.
To be perfectly honest with you, there will be many a sharpener who will give you either 5/8 or 1/2 because the perceived difference when going to 16ths is very inconsistent. Ice conditions, fatigue and such like you mentioned will play a bigger factor.

I stay with my recommendation of 5/8ths. If anything, go to the in between 9/16ths or try FBV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Black View Post
Hey guys, I'm through reading the first 12 pages and I'll continue through the rest of the thread tonight or in the next couple of days. I'm trying to get as much "intel" as possible now that I'm in the skate market.

Background on me:

So, here is where I stand:

I love my RBK skates that I've had and common sense would say to go RBK again, but after trying them on last year, I don't think it's going to be this easy. From what I've read, similar lines that might work are CCMs and Supreme. Is this correct?

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I'm probably going to end up getting the second best pair in whatever brand I end up getting. The top of the lines are just a bit too expensive.

Thanks for the help in advance. Look forward to some helpful comments! :fingers crossed:
5Ks...originally a mid end skate from 2008/2009. I do firmly believe that the Reebok fit has changed over the years. The newer models are slightly wider and slightly deeper I find from fitting people. They've repositioned the Pump a couple of times since that generation as well as altered the heel on some models.

Your mindset is sound; try on different pairs because what fit you back then (and that you've broken in over time) might not fit you well now.

In Reebok, see if you can find some 8Ks or 10Ks from 2010/2011 on clearance. The current lineup of 16K and 18K are great boots as well; given that you said you were looking at one or two down from the top; excellent value.

Give CCM a shot next. The U+10 and 12 are phenomenal boots. You'll have to bake them to get the true fit story.

Bauer's Supreme and Nexus should be tried as well. The first page or two should outline some models to look for.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:04 PM
esidebill

So I've been skating in my Reebok 12Ks for about 5-6 months and I'm finding the same problem I get with every skate I've tried. There is not enough depth in front of the ankle. I mostly get pain and trouble around the 3-4th eyelets from the bottom. I'm almost considering custom boots because nothing is working for me.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:51 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
So I've been skating in my Reebok 12Ks for about 5-6 months and I'm finding the same problem I get with every skate I've tried. There is not enough depth in front of the ankle. I mostly get pain and trouble around the 3-4th eyelets from the bottom. I'm almost considering custom boots because nothing is working for me.
I also prefer a deep footing skate as i have a high foot/high arch. Could be the boot is not deep enough, or that the tongue is too stiff. Did you try a deep boot from graf?

Old
01-29-2013, 11:45 AM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
I also prefer a deep footing skate as i have a high foot/high arch. Could be the boot is not deep enough, or that the tongue is too stiff. Did you try a deep boot from graf?
I haven't been able to get my hands on a graf boot like that, no. There's an authorized graf dealer down the road, but they always have crappy selection. What are their deeper models?

Old
01-29-2013, 04:37 PM
newfr4u

what's the general advice on buying roller skates? do you recommend using a ice-skate boot, or from a specialized roller producer? what's the closest fit to Easton synergy?

Old
01-29-2013, 11:26 PM
AIREAYE

I assume you're using this for roller hockey indoors or on a specialized outdoor court?

Ice-style boot, forget the softer fitness style boots. I would go with whichever fits best. I have only experience with Reebok, CCM, Bauer and certain Mission lines of boots. Out of those, none are close to a Synergy fit. Check out Alkali or Revision.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:27 PM
newfr4u

i am not likely to actually play roller. just need a new pair for rollerblading workouts, and figured i'd get something that would let me skate more like on ice.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:41 PM
AIREAYE

Then my advice still stands. If you're skating outdoors, lower end boots come with harder (more durable for outdoor surfaces) wheels than mid or high end boots, so I would start in that range. Be sure to rotate your wheels every now and then!

Old
02-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Duck Paddy

What are your thoughts on the 8k vs 12k? Both available for $200.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:51 AM
AIREAYE

The 8K (2010) is a mid-high end boot, 2 steps down from the top end 11K. The 12K is a mid end boot, 4 steps down from the top end 20K.

The 12K doesn't have the lacelock, in addition to being downgrades in every area (I outlined this in the first 2 pages). The Pump for this generation (2012) has been moved back and down, effectively moving the air bladder to push in and down on your heel/ankle more so than previous years'.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:31 PM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
deleted

Last edited by SUBdrewgANS: 02-04-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 12:18 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I have a question about sharpening. Since day one I've been running with 1/2" hollow. Lately it's felt to have too much bite, and I find my skating to be a lot better as it dulls to it's next sharpening appt. I'm 5'10 145 and I have good leg strength, my forward stride is faster than most on the ice a lot of games. Am I ready for a more shallow hollow? If I am overestimating my skating ability, will I lose too much turning ability to cope? I'd love some thoughts from experience!
I'm 5-10 164, and use 11/16ths. I could get away with 5/8ths if I had to, but the 11/16ths work perfectly. As soon as the skates are sharpened I can get on the ice with no chatter when initially stopping, no need to grind them down a little, but with massive glide and speed. I've found I am much faster in straight aways with this rather flatter hollow than before, not that I could be considered fast by any means.

I tried each cut from 7/16ths up and have found my perfect cut, so I'd recommend doing the same until you reach yours.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:33 AM
djkev

wow this is a great thread! I just started reading it and plan on finishing it, but I thought I'd ask my question in the mean time.

I'm a goalie in Bauer One100 skates, size 7.5EE. I'm gonna start playing out again and I had a pair of Bauer One60 in 7EE about a year ago before I got rid of my gear (big mistake.) Well I got the itch again so I'm looking for another pair of skates. I wan't a big fan of the One60s so I'm thinking of trying something else. Seeing that I'm probably only going to skate out in lower division leagues and a few pickups, I'd like to keep price in the mid to low range, most of my $$$ goes towards my custom goalie gear..... That being said, I like finding deals if they work for me. I found a pair of Bauer Flexlite 3.0 in 7.5D for under $100 which seems like a decent price. From what I gathered, the flexlite skates are wider than Supremes and have more volume so sounds like they would work. But I also found a pair of CCM U+12 in 7.5E for $200. I haven't tried on CCM skates before, but for the price, it's very tempting. I'd like to have the best skate possible for my $$$. Can anyone tell me how these two skates fit compared to the one60s?

Old
02-06-2013, 09:22 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieFlyersFan View Post
Hey guys, I recently changed from Bauer x2.0 because i had arch issues, I tried every skate in the shop and changed to the CCM U+10's which have been a fanstatic skate apart from the incredibly painful pressure that i get directly on the ankle bone. I've had them baked twice and tried to DIY punch out the skate in the ankle area but neither has really helped. I've been skating in the ccm's for about 3 months, about 3-4 days a week so i would've thought they'd be broken in by now. I don't really want to have to change skates again because the CCM's did fit me the best.Is this a problem that can be fixed? Or has anyone else had this problem and fixed it? Thanks
do you mean the ankle balls on the side of your feet? if so i had this exact problem with my graf G65's. the irritation of the muscles around my ankles got so bad i havent played in 3 weeks. I went to a custon hockey shop to get them stretched and the person was very helpful. we tried various paddings and other supliments in the skate. then they put in a kind of wedge bauer makes under the heal under the superfeet insole. it brought my foot up approx 3/4". as soon as i put them on it was like a giant relief of the pressure. i couldnt beleive it. they cost me $10 and I am pumped up to finally get back on the ice.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:23 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkev View Post
wow this is a great thread! I just started reading it and plan on finishing it, but I thought I'd ask my question in the mean time.

I'm a goalie in Bauer One100 skates, size 7.5EE. I'm gonna start playing out again and I had a pair of Bauer One60 in 7EE about a year ago before I got rid of my gear (big mistake.) Well I got the itch again so I'm looking for another pair of skates. I wan't a big fan of the One60s so I'm thinking of trying something else. Seeing that I'm probably only going to skate out in lower division leagues and a few pickups, I'd like to keep price in the mid to low range, most of my $$$ goes towards my custom goalie gear..... That being said, I like finding deals if they work for me. I found a pair of Bauer Flexlite 3.0 in 7.5D for under $100 which seems like a decent price. From what I gathered, the flexlite skates are wider than Supremes and have more volume so sounds like they would work. But I also found a pair of CCM U+12 in 7.5E for $200. I haven't tried on CCM skates before, but for the price, it's very tempting. I'd like to have the best skate possible for my $$$. Can anyone tell me how these two skates fit compared to the one60s?
What didn't you like about the One60?

As with almost all skate advice, try them on and pick the one that fits best...

Old
02-06-2013, 11:14 AM
esidebill

Got to try out my new GRAF 709s in a pickup game. I think I tied the bottom laces just a tad tight and the new sharpening was a pain, but besides that they were very comfortable. They didn't get loose at any time during the 20+ minutes I was out there. The heel was glued to the back of the skate. No hot spots, but just a tiny bit of ache from the tightness.

If you have a big instep and a wide heel, these are heaven sent. I wish I could buy 10 of them so I'd have them for the future.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:35 AM
djkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
What didn't you like about the One60?

As with almost all skate advice, try them on and pick the one that fits best...
they felt cheap, and weren't stiff enough for me. As much as I would like to try them on, I don't live near a store that has both in stock.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:58 AM
thedonger

Quote:
they felt cheap, and weren't stiff enough for me. As much as I would like to try them on, I don't live near a store that has both in stock.
if the one60's weren't stiff enough for you, then flexlite 3.0's will definitely not be stiff enough for you as flexlites in general tend to have a pretty soft boot throughout the line...with the exception of the 4.0 pro.

the u+ 12's are a really stiff boot so that may be what you're looking for...but as always, fit is king.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:18 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
Got to try out my new GRAF 709s in a pickup game. I think I tied the bottom laces just a tad tight and the new sharpening was a pain, but besides that they were very comfortable. They didn't get loose at any time during the 20+ minutes I was out there. The heel was glued to the back of the skate. No hot spots, but just a tiny bit of ache from the tightness.

If you have a big instep and a wide heel, these are heaven sent. I wish I could buy 10 of them so I'd have them for the future.
lucky for you the 709's havent really changed over the last 10 years, also my 709's lasted me from 2004 until a few months ago, they are still usable and i did replace the cobra once and many eyelits but they are awesome skates.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
In that case, I would gamble on the U+12. They're amazing skates, but to get the optimal fit, you really do need to get them baked properly. You can pay your LHS to do that.

Closed Thread