HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Will we be sustainable down the road

Old
01-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Edgar

vCash: 50
Will we be sustainable down the road

With such a young team and so many entry-level contracts, will our team be able to survive in a few years down the road while holding onto the majority of our guys, or are we going to have to deal our core away to fit the cap

Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Alklha

The cap isn't our problem, it is our internal budget. As of next season, someone is probably going to be the odd man out. A choice between McDonald and Stewart probably.

People like to say "we are competing, we aren't going to deal roster players for futures", and while I agree with that midseason it changes in the offseason. To sustain the way we play, we are going to have to deal proven players for prospects/picks when the proven player prices himself out of staying here.

The biggest test comes in a couple of years, when the players will feel we should be spending the cap.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:48 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Any good team is going to need to have contributors who are on ELCs. As the Blues' young core all move up to veteran contract status, not all will be able to stay with the club. A couple guys will have to be traded or move on, and young guys like Rattie take their place (with the ELC and low cap hit). But I think the Blues will increase their internal budget, raise ticket prices and rake in some post-season revenue as they continue to play well over the next few years.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Mike Liut

Going to need guys like Cole, Ponich, Jaskin and Rattie to step in the next few years. Every first round pick needs to be a top 6 F or a top 4 D. Need to find some solid players throughout the draft too. It can be done with the great nucleus that the Blues currently have.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:20 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
We need a few deep playoff runs and hopefully a cup to become a cap team. With success comes money.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:33 AM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
We need a few deep playoff runs and hopefully a cup to become a cap team. With success comes money.
This is my hope as well. I believe this year the second game was the all time highest rated regular season games in terms of fsmw ratings. This means that marketing has generated enough buzz to get people watching and the on ice performance seems to be producing. If the blues can go deep in the playoffs ,not be the perennial tease they have been in the past, old fans will start flying out of the woodwork. People that had heard of the blues will be fans of the blues. I think with the cap inflation slowed from the lockout dealings the blues have a chance at spending money in a few years.

You also have to consider some of the poor long term deals that checketts signed with the concessions and parking will also expire in the coming years.

...hopefully

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:32 AM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Winning a cup can really put this team in a good place.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:27 AM
moolah3i4
Long Live The Note.

vCash: 500
This team is due for a cup win! I think its ganna be this year!

moolah3i4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:33 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Question from me:

The concessions, parking, and the lease at scottrade is the albatross for the ownership(s) of the Blues? I am sure someone knows if there is any way current Blues owner Stillman can buy out the horrible deal checketts made concerning concessions and parking?

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Question from me:

The concessions, parking, and the lease at scottrade is the albatross for the ownership(s) of the Blues? I am sure someone knows if there is any way current Blues owner Stillman can buy out the horrible deal checketts made concerning concessions and parking?
Not sure on the parking, but the concessions deal...that one can be bought out but is very cost prohibitive.
That, of course, is true if my understanding of the figures is accurate.

Speaking of that though, I was under the impression that once the opera house was done the Blues were supposed to either have a very healthy reduction on the entertainment tax, if not an all out absolution.
Yet, that does not seem to be so...can anyone shed any light on this? Or am I looking at the wrong thing?

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:16 AM
puckerdude10

I think we will be sustainable because we have replacments for players starting to fall in line. I think Andy Mac will be here this year and probably one more then schwartz takes his place and other examples can be found like this. I also have faith in Armstrong getting guys to sign great contracts that favor the team more than that individual player. I think this team will be together for 2-3 years without any major changes other than a possible trade for an upgrade and possibly retirment/moving on of McDonald. I think after that there will be one or two names that move on/ are moved to make way for other prospects and clear cap but I would bet that group would also be together for 2-3 years before a similiar cylcle would happen again. We just have to keep drafting and developing well and keep getting the most out of our free agent signings. Having Armstrong at the helm keeps me calm.

I was speaking about our core not all the extra pieces guys like dags and langs will leave during that time but should be able to be replaced from within or cheap signings

puckerdude10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:20 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Do you guys think Jaskin, rattie and one of edmundson, ponich, and hakanpaa will be on the team three years down the road? i'm thinking mcdonald, d'ags, langs, redden, Stewart(maybe), and Jackman(maybe) could be out of the picture.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:25 PM
sh724

Quote:
As long as whoever owns the Blues wants to make a profit the Blues will never spend to the cap. STL is way to small of a market with too small of a national fan base to ever bring in the kind of money it takes to be a cap team.

The 10 teams with the highest payroll are all huge markets with the the exception of Buffalo and Minnesota. Buffalo has an extremely rich owner that is not trying to make a profit he just want to win the cup (kind of like when Laurie owned the Blues). The only reason Minnesota is that high is because Suter and Parise cap hit is over $15 million.

The Blues are currently dead last in salary in the league and the only team spending less than $50 mil on salary. While that will change next year with all of the RFAs, it will not put the Blues anywhere near the cap.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Tarasenko becoming a superstar and his jerseys flying off shelves would certainly help as well.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:10 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
Tarasenko becoming a superstar and his jerseys flying off shelves would certainly help as well.
and to the average person who may not know much about the blues but is trying to get into it or something could buy his jersey for the fact that his last name is TARASENKO and that it's #91 which is rare and pretty cool lookin for a jersey number

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:55 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
I just think this team will have to spend around $60 million/per year to be a legitimate contender over the next 5 years...Anything more would be for serious cup runs, like a good rental.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Quote:
I just think this team will have to spend around $60 million/per year to be a legitimate contender over the next 5 years...Anything more would be for serious cup runs, like a good rental.
Quickly sign Hossa

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:12 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
My friend said he went into a sports store in the mall the other day. only one lonely Tarasenko jersey left on his rack.

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Alklha

Quote:
This is the thing, if we want players to take discounts to stay here (which they certainly would do), then they are going to want to see a commitment to winning from organisation. Which means working our way to spending the cap.

The cap is going to stay steady, around $65m, until the summer of 2016 in all likelihood. We don't get the financial breaks that the Cardinals or Rams get from the city, and I'm not sure how much of a chance we'd have of forcing their hands. Winning a Cup would certainly help, it gives a platform.

But ultimately, our roster needs turnover to be competitive anyway. Even with discounts, if we want to maintain depth then we are going to have to deal proven players for futures and have our own prospects ready to walk into the team. Stewart and Polák are probably good examples of guys who are going to get dealt down the road (not necessarily this offseason or next).

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote