HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 6: Wild at Blues 1/27/13 at 7:00 CST

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 10:02 PM
  #426
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 17,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Anyone have a good review of Granlund's play? I don't think I noticed him once all game (good, bad, or otherwise), which disappoints me slightly because I was eager to get a viewing.
He was pretty darn invisible. The box score had him playing 11:42, and I was shocked it was that much. That said, after the first I didn't really even notice Tarasenko that much.

Vladys Gumption is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 10:07 PM
  #427
Fred Murtz
Registered User
 
Fred Murtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 6,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Sobotka is Czech
I know but Bobby Plager called him the "lil Russian guy" one night and that's one nickname for Sobe now.

Fred Murtz is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 10:14 PM
  #428
Stang
Registered User
 
Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 4,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Murtz View Post
I know but Bobby Plager called him the "lil Russian guy" one night and that's one nickname for Sobe now.
If bobby said it, then it goes!

Stang is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 10:18 PM
  #429
asmarks18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Gotta love this squads motor and heart. Never gave up. Awesome win.

asmarks18 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 10:35 PM
  #430
bluesfan94
#PetroforNorris
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 20,274
vCash: 500
Sobotka is Czech but he was born in Russia.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was thinking of Jaskin

bluesfan94 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 10:36 PM
  #431
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,111
vCash: 500
Looks like The Blues might be grooming Redden for a Top 4 role after all. He played 21+ minutes, just short of #2, Shattenkirk. He's looked really solid in all phases of the game, and in all zones. And his shot is still hard as a howitzer, and accurate, too. I think he'll be playing the point a lot on either the #1 or #2 PP unit. Looks like a great steal for only $800,000. Glad Army didn't trade one of the young talents plus draft choices for Bouwmeester and his $6.8 million salary!

Redden seems to be in very good shape, as well. They have the defensive depth to keep Jackman and Redden fresh for the playoffs, and to outlast most of the other teams, who don't have nearly as much quality depth.

Remember how hard it used to be for The Blues to enter the offensive zone? One of the keys to their puck possession game is unimpeded entrance into the opponent's zone. And one of the main reasons for that is that MOST of The Blues' defencemen are VERY mobile, and can carry the puck in when the forwards are being covered.

Because Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Russell, Cole, Polak, Redden and even Jackman can do that with skill, The Blues have a tremendous advantage. Then, with their youth, speed, puckhandling skills, forechecking tenacity, they keep the puck in the zone.

With the puck in the zone much more of the game than not (they outshoot their opponents by an average of 15 shots per game), they can score more. Now that Tarasenko has been added, and Perron and Oshie and Berglund and Backes are improving at finishing their shots, The Blues have a good scoring advantage.

Robb_K is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 10:42 PM
  #432
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 14,018
vCash: 868
I know it is very early, but we are third in the League in goals per game just now, behind only the Sharks and Lightning.

Alklha is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 10:45 PM
  #433
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler
 
Falco Lombardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 15,357
vCash: 103
Faceoffs tonight:

Backes: 60%
Berglund: 62%
Steen: 38%
Sobotka: 55 %

Those are pretty good numbers for a game.

I still want to see someone force Steen back out to the wing where he can be more effective.

Falco Lombardi is online now  
Old
01-27-2013, 10:47 PM
  #434
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex
 
TheOrganist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I know it is very early, but we are third in the League in goals per game just now, behind only the Sharks and Lightning.
From a numbers perspective, the Blues really could only improve two things in the PK and faceoffs.

Top 5 in G/G, GA/G, PP, Shots/G, and SA/G.

From a player perspective, Backes and Russell seem to be the only noticeable guys that need to pick it up.

TheOrganist is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 11:15 PM
  #435
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 14,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
From a numbers perspective, the Blues really could only improve two things in the PK and faceoffs.

Top 5 in G/G, GA/G, PP, Shots/G, and SA/G.

From a player perspective, Backes and Russell seem to be the only noticeable guys that need to pick it up.
I agree about Backes offensively, but he's still been the usual Backes in the neutral zone and his own zone. It's a great thing that he doesn't have to carry the offense like he has had to the last couple of seasons.

MattyMo35 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 11:35 PM
  #436
Terror91
Lets Do It.
 
Terror91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,983
vCash: 500
I think Langenbrunner really needs to be used sparingly. He's becoming more and more ineffective. Pitiful to watch.

Terror91 is online now  
Old
01-27-2013, 11:35 PM
  #437
sbet1998
Registered User
 
sbet1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,504
vCash: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I agree about Backes offensively, but he's still been the usual Backes in the neutral zone and his own zone. It's a great thing that he doesn't have to carry the offense like he has had to the last couple of seasons.
Agree. Seems like Backes can step up if needed, but if not... he just plays a solid game. But he always starts slow and didnt play anywhere in the off-season. He'll get his points by season's end. He's not a PPG player, but when he gets hot he can carry a team and thankfully, it seems the Blues have a lot of players like that.

Perron is on another level right now. Contract-wise, the Blues are in a perfect storm. Never have they had so many good players as motivated as they are right now, at least in recent terms. A Cup seems like an actual possibility.

sbet1998 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:36 AM
  #438
BlueDream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,577
vCash: 500
Wow what a win. Exciting game, fast and physical and lots of action. Love watching these two teams play.

My thoughts (all positives pretty much):

-- Perron is on fire. He's playing with confidence and dominating with his stick-handling. Awesome to watch.

-- Watching Backes, Oshie, and Sobotka continuously demolish guys is freakin' awesome. Man they can hit. They are all wrecking balls. And Sobotka has just been tremendous all around this season; what a start!

-- Shattenkirk is playing absolutely amazing. He's in tremendous shape.

-- Is it possible for Pietrangelo to be underrated on this board? I think he is so far. Yeah his defensive game isn't as good as usual but he's not been horrible, and he has 7 points. He's still very good. Never once was I worried about him.

-- Barret Jackman is playing GREAT. He's really been one of our better d-men so far this season...Underrated play, I like it.

-- Wade Redden is really impressing me. He's reliable defensively and can produce offensively. Rocket of a shot tonight. Keep him in the lineup. I'd like to see Cole in over Russell though...Russell has been fine but nothing special.

-- Nice to see Berglund heating up...he's playing really well so far.

-- 4th-line of Langenbrunner-Sobotka-Reaves is really good. As long as Sobotka and Reaves stay on that line it will be good. Langenbrunner/Nichol are pretty interchangeable as they bring similar characteristics. Just don't insert D'Agostini and I'm fine.

-- Stewart is really playing well. He's fast and playing a power game. Great screen and tip in tonight! Solid start for him.

Only negatives:

-- Goaltending has been pretty weak so far and is benefitting from the team in front of them (except for the Chicago game). But I'm sure they will turn it around...That's probably the only negative from not facing many shots.

-- Schwartz continues to be the worst forward on the team. Gush about his "hockey sense" all you want, he's easily the least productive forward on the team right now IMO (not counting the guys who are usually scratched).

All in all though, awesome to see a 5-1 start...team is good and fun to watch. I liked their battle tonight.

BlueDream is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:46 AM
  #439
Wiems35*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,132
vCash: 500
How cool is this:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

Wiems35* is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:50 AM
  #440
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Anyone have a good review of Granlund's play? I don't think I noticed him once all game (good, bad, or otherwise), which disappoints me slightly because I was eager to get a viewing.
I was thinking the same thing. I only noticed he was on the ice like 2 or 3 times, and never because of anything interesting he did.

2 Minute Minor is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:51 AM
  #441
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 14,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Wow what a win. Exciting game, fast and physical and lots of action. Love watching these two teams play.

My thoughts (all positives pretty much):

-- Perron is on fire. He's playing with confidence and dominating with his stick-handling. Awesome to watch.

-- Watching Backes, Oshie, and Sobotka continuously demolish guys is freakin' awesome. Man they can hit. They are all wrecking balls. And Sobotka has just been tremendous all around this season; what a start!

-- Shattenkirk is playing absolutely amazing. He's in tremendous shape.

-- Is it possible for Pietrangelo to be underrated on this board? I think he is so far. Yeah his defensive game isn't as good as usual but he's not been horrible, and he has 7 points. He's still very good. Never once was I worried about him.

-- Barret Jackman is playing GREAT. He's really been one of our better d-men so far this season...Underrated play, I like it.

-- Wade Redden is really impressing me. He's reliable defensively and can produce offensively. Rocket of a shot tonight. Keep him in the lineup. I'd like to see Cole in over Russell though...Russell has been fine but nothing special.

-- Nice to see Berglund heating up...he's playing really well so far.

-- 4th-line of Langenbrunner-Sobotka-Reaves is really good. As long as Sobotka and Reaves stay on that line it will be good. Langenbrunner/Nichol are pretty interchangeable as they bring similar characteristics. Just don't insert D'Agostini and I'm fine.

-- Stewart is really playing well. He's fast and playing a power game. Great screen and tip in tonight! Solid start for him.

Only negatives:

-- Goaltending has been pretty weak so far and is benefitting from the team in front of them (except for the Chicago game). But I'm sure they will turn it around...That's probably the only negative from not facing many shots.

-- Schwartz continues to be the worst forward on the team. Gush about his "hockey sense" all you want, he's easily the least productive forward on the team right now IMO (not counting the guys who are usually scratched).

All in all though, awesome to see a 5-1 start...team is good and fun to watch. I liked their battle tonight.
I strongly disagree. If he wasn't stuck with Scottie Brickhands, and over-the-hill Langs, he would have at least 4 points. He's spent almost no time with skilled forwards. When he does get a chance with some talent on his line, he's been great. He's been good in his own zone too.

MattyMo35 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 01:12 AM
  #442
BlueDream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I strongly disagree. If he wasn't stuck with Scottie Brickhands, and over-the-hill Langs, he would have at least 4 points. He's spent almost no time with skilled forwards. When he does get a chance with some talent on his line, he's been great. He's been good in his own zone too.
What in the world are you talking about? He has spent minimal time with them. He's usually with Berglund and Stewart (who are producing). Schwartz isn't. He has not been anywhere close to great. At least 4 points? C'mon now.... Just no. Who has been worse than him? Yeah obviously guys like Nichol won't score as much as him but Nichol is filling his role very nicely.

The other two though...very good. I've seen Stewart backcheck more in these past 2 games than I did the entire 2011-2012 season. He's been stealing the puck from guys; he's improved for sure.

BlueDream is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 01:30 AM
  #443
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
What in the world are you talking about? He has spent minimal time with them. He's usually with Berglund and Stewart (who are producing). Schwartz isn't. He has not been anywhere close to great. At least 4 points? C'mon now.... Just no. Who has been worse than him? Yeah obviously guys like Nichol won't score as much as him but Nichol is filling his role very nicely.

The other two though...very good. I've seen Stewart backcheck more in these past 2 games than I did the entire 2011-2012 season. He's been stealing the puck from guys; he's improved for sure.
Who do you suggest playign 3rd line with Berglund and Stewart then? I think you aren't looking at Schwartz's whole game. He has flashes of Perron's agility with the puck. As long as Berglund and Stewart continue to produce I don't see why you would change that line up.

Inserting Dags into Bergs-Stew line is that Dags will take a lot more shots than Schwartz will which could possibly hinder the amount of shots Berglund or Stewart can take. Jaden Schwartz can create open ice and has a great work ethic. I say continue to let him play wing for Bergy and Stewy, let him get NHL experience. If it's not broken don't fix it.

Bluesman91 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 01:50 AM
  #444
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man
 
rumrokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,799
vCash: 500
Not all rookies look like Tarasenko. Schwartz has been good, especially defensively. He's also set up guys for very good chances that they haven't finished. The Blues are better with Schwartz in the lineup. In the games they played, Langenbrunner and D'Agostini have been clearly worse. Schwartz belongs, and "worst" forward on the team can still be good - in this case, he is.

rumrokh is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:58 AM
  #445
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,741
vCash: 500
I agree. I've liked what I've seen from Schwartz in his limited time. It's no crime that he's not replicating what our other wingers are doing, given the circumstances. The 10-12 minutes of ESTOI that he's getting is plenty for developmental purposes.



As an aside, I'm going to start locking old GDTs after the new one is put up. Any ongoing discussions can spill over into the new GDT or stickied season discussion thread.

Many posters don't go back to check old GDTs after a few days, and I think there's a lot of quality discussion that's being missed by the community at large. I'm hoping this will help bring those conversations back into the spotlight a little bit.


Last edited by EastonBlues22: 01-28-2013 at 04:21 AM.
EastonBlues22 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 07:39 AM
  #446
halaktarasenkofan
Registered User
 
halaktarasenkofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Wow what a win. Exciting game, fast and physical and lots of action. Love watching these two teams play.

My thoughts (all positives pretty much):

-- Perron is on fire. He's playing with confidence and dominating with his stick-handling. Awesome to watch.

-- Watching Backes, Oshie, and Sobotka continuously demolish guys is freakin' awesome. Man they can hit. They are all wrecking balls. And Sobotka has just been tremendous all around this season; what a start!

-- Shattenkirk is playing absolutely amazing. He's in tremendous shape.

-- Is it possible for Pietrangelo to be underrated on this board? I think he is so far. Yeah his defensive game isn't as good as usual but he's not been horrible, and he has 7 points. He's still very good. Never once was I worried about him.

-- Barret Jackman is playing GREAT. He's really been one of our better d-men so far this season...Underrated play, I like it.

-- Wade Redden is really impressing me. He's reliable defensively and can produce offensively. Rocket of a shot tonight. Keep him in the lineup. I'd like to see Cole in over Russell though...Russell has been fine but nothing special.

-- Nice to see Berglund heating up...he's playing really well so far.

-- 4th-line of Langenbrunner-Sobotka-Reaves is really good. As long as Sobotka and Reaves stay on that line it will be good. Langenbrunner/Nichol are pretty interchangeable as they bring similar characteristics. Just don't insert D'Agostini and I'm fine.

-- Stewart is really playing well. He's fast and playing a power game. Great screen and tip in tonight! Solid start for him.

Only negatives:

-- Goaltending has been pretty weak so far and is benefitting from the team in front of them (except for the Chicago game). But I'm sure they will turn it around...That's probably the only negative from not facing many shots.
-- Schwartz continues to be the worst forward on the team. Gush about his "hockey sense" all you want, he's easily the least productive forward on the team right now IMO (not counting the guys who are usually scratched).

All in all though, awesome to see a 5-1 start...team is good and fun to watch. I liked their battle tonight.
jaro said it's hard for him to have only 12 shots! he like 50 shots better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

halaktarasenkofan is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:39 AM
  #447
rrude
Registered User
 
rrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Had a rare chance to go to the game last night. A few thoughts:

--The refs were awful. Not just the chintzy calls weighted heavily against the Blues, but they were constantly in the way of the play in a way I don't ever remember seeing at a game before. The Russell 'interference' call that led to the goal had a lot to do with the ref being in the way and Kris having to work around him.

--The Wild were pretty dominant, the Blues were lucky their offense is so good right now. 10-20-91 were dominated physically and weren't helped by Steen trying too much hero play. A lot of passes and chips that weren't smart. Tarasenko doesn't have much impact without the puck on his stick.

--The chemistry between Bergland and Stewart this year is obvious. Stewart looking great in the offensive zone and has cut down on the weak passes and chips without purpose in the other zones that led to so many chances for the other team last year. He looks much more like a part of the team and not just someone floating on the perimeter.

--Perron woke up, huh? Really played his game and might have been the best player on the ice. When he and Oshie do their spin and grind on the offensive boards for a whole shift, good stuff happens.

--Redden looks good in a lot of ways, but he does not hit or play physically. One reason he couldn't play for Tortorella. He's a pure finesse player. I suppose if the coach game plans for that it can be ok, but I wonder about using him in big situations. Plus, I thought Cole was looking pretty good.

--I agree with the post above, both goaltenders looking a little weak.

--After saying before the game that I thought Schwartz maybe needed some more time in the minors, I thought he was pretty good. He needs the right linemates, thought giving him some time with Backes late in the game was a good move.

--Last point, I promise. It's not so much what Langenbrunner does that is the issue ,because I thought he looked decent last night. It's that the players he gets subbed in for provide better stuff. After the Blues gave up their second PP goal last night I said to my brother, "I don't think we'll see Nichol sitting much more this year."

rrude is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:11 AM
  #448
Fred Murtz
Registered User
 
Fred Murtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 6,243
vCash: 500
Sobotka the Eastern European Tank blowing up Suter.

Clang clang!! stay off them trolley tracks.




Fred Murtz is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:43 AM
  #449
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Mike Liut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 9,295
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Murtz View Post
Sobotka the Eastern European Tank blowing up Suter.

Clang clang!! stay off them trolley tracks.





Great play by Schwartz at the 27 second mark

Mike Liut is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:53 AM
  #450
Harley83
Registered User
 
Harley83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrude View Post
--Redden looks good in a lot of ways, but he does not hit or play physically. One reason he couldn't play for Tortorella. He's a pure finesse player. I suppose if the coach game plans for that it can be ok, but I wonder about using him in big situations. Plus, I thought Cole was looking pretty good.
He does a good enough job for Western Conference hockey as far as protecting the goaltender. In my opinion the big difference between Western and Eastern is that many Eastern Conference teams (the competitive ones) crash the net so the defensemen are expected to be aggressive and put themselves between the goaltender at all times. In the Western Conference there seems to be more Offensive-Defensemen or Two-way as opposed to the stay-at-home, fight-to-the-death, crease-clearing, protect-the-net breed in the Eastern Conference. St. Louis needs more of those in my opinion.

Harley83 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.