HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#05 | New York Islanders vs. Winnipeg Jets | Jan 27 | 8:00PM | OT/L 4-5

Old
01-28-2013, 06:20 AM
luki here

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
The Jets aren't either. Although it seems to be turning around this year. There are definitely positives to your team. Board work seems excellent, and your PK is absolutely killer. I love how your PKers just keep skating and moving around. Miles better than the Jets, who seem to just play passive in the middle hoping for a mistake.

You guys seem to need depth past the first line, and defense needs work. I don't know if it's systems or individual talent.
just finished watching the game and i saw two bad hockey teams out there. No blame on nabby, he did what you could expect.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:39 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
ill give capuano one thing. he is honest. during traing camp he said that he wouldnt be as patient with his line combinations. either show that you can play together or not......
and against the jets, he proved to be a man of his word. either late in the second or early in the third, he put ullstrom on tavares line. they looked like crap and the next thing you know, ullstrom is taken off tavares line. AFTER ONE ****ING SHIFT!!!
there is a happy medium between being impatient and too patient. and one shift is no where near it.
I'm thinking there is some heat on Cappy, with Thompson and Weight on the bench.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:42 AM
bigd

Nabby played great in the first half of the game when the rest of the team looked like an ECHL team. He stopped some quality chances and kept the Isles in the game. They were lucky to get the point.
Hickey looked good but a more experienced player would have pealed back after Aucoin flubbed that first pass attempt. By the time he made the pass Jets players were in position and three of our players where in too deep.
The Jets are a BIG team. They came out hitting and we lost all the 1 on 1 battles in the first half of the game. Instead of being agressive they were being passive and just letting them take the puck away.
This Islanders team is a good team but they are not consistant in their play. Hopefully that will come sooner rather than later.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:46 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Cappy and crew have to go. And I was a huge Cappy fan. Since Wanger isn't going anywhere (statute of limitations ran out and Jesus hates the Isles) and Snow is thus safe, I think our only hope is if Snow can convince Wang to hire a real coach.
As IF anything like that is happening this season.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:51 AM
Tavaresfan91

as per staple, Hamonic injured ankle....

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:52 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
You were ok with MacDonald? I saw him make any number of bad plays, not limited to very poor decisions in bad clears that a second more of thought could have been intelligent first passes out. In general though the defense sucked. Carkner was really pathetic. It was like watching Finley in Carkner's sweater at times.
Ya, I was OK with MacDonald.

I know his limitations and when you take that into account, he's been by far our best overall defenseman in this short season. In fact, he's about the only one I'm not seeing big flaws in (even Hamonic has had some TERRIBLE positioning on occasions in this young season, i.e. the first goal against tonight).

AMac is just the most effective all-round guy we have. I found myself thinking that time and again in this game as well.

In general, I've been really unimpressed with the defense to date. Streit, Strait and Hamonic have simply been 'swimming' to this point. MacDonald is the only one playing a generally solid, effective two-way game in which - for his profile - he's had very few errors. The rest has been below the average necessary to compete.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:22 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

A few thoughts:
Hickey...I like him. Rookie mistakes, but what do you expect? The Hammer needs to spend tons of time with him. I can see Hickey being quite a bit like TH.
KO...meh.
Ullstrom...KO needs to watch what he does.
Canker Sore...GET OFF THE ICE!

I'm tempted to, and am probably going to, make this its own thread....but breaking out of our own zone.
I was watchin the Rags and the Leafs the other night, and the annoucners were talking about how the Rags break out of their own zone. Another game I watched, the annoucners were talking about break out passes and schemes. I was helping coach a 12-14 year old team, and that night was break out passes and schemes.

So...that being said, is the Isles break out scheme, "Just wing it and see what happens?"

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:53 AM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
A few thoughts:
Hickey...I like him. Rookie mistakes, but what do you expect? The Hammer needs to spend tons of time with him. I can see Hickey being quite a bit like TH.
KO...meh.
Ullstrom...KO needs to watch what he does.
Canker Sore...GET OFF THE ICE!

I'm tempted to, and am probably going to, make this its own thread....but breaking out of our own zone.
I was watchin the Rags and the Leafs the other night, and the annoucners were talking about how the Rags break out of their own zone. Another game I watched, the annoucners were talking about break out passes and schemes. I was helping coach a 12-14 year old team, and that night was break out passes and schemes.

So...that being said, is the Isles break out scheme, "Just wing it and see what happens?"
I disagree. With the exception of last night, their brakeouts have been WAY better than last year! With the exception of last night, they have made good clean passes in there own zone and quickly moved the puck into and thru the neutral zone. They have LOOKED before they passed/cleared out of their zone and as a result have not been caught in their own zone as much.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
I disagree. With the exception of last night, their brakeouts have been WAY better than last year! With the exception of last night, they have made good clean passes in there own zone and quickly moved the puck into and thru the neutral zone. They have LOOKED before they passed/cleared out of their zone and as a result have not been caught in their own zone as much.
Okay. Fair enough.

I didn't catch the first two periods of the Boston game, but, I didn't pay much attention to the breakout passes/schemes in the previous games, so, maybe I was a little heavy handed in my assessment after only truly paying attention to last night's game.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Islanderfan17

I was so mad that Kane scored the OT winner. That guy comes off as such a ********* in every game I see him in, and I also wasn't a big fan of his turning to the boards last second to draw a penalty with Carkner. I wish the refs let him and Hamonic go so he could have gotten a beating.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I was so mad that Kane scored the OT winner. That guy comes off as such a ********* in every game I see him in, and I also wasn't a big fan of his turning to the boards last second to draw a penalty with Carkner. I wish the refs let him and Hamonic go so he could have gotten a beating.
As much as the guys a ***** he's a decent fighter

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Yeah go YouTube the kane / Cooke fight. I'm kind of glad Hammer didn't go with him.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:04 AM
blinkman360
Norris

As bad as the Islanders were defensively this entire game, I think it all came down to the Burmi goal where Moulson set a pick on JT and Nabokov flubbed the glove-save. Had that not happened, I'd like to think we would have won.

Unfortunately for us that soft penalty gave them the momentum prior to that goal.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:07 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Yeah go YouTube the kane / Cooke fight. I'm kind of glad Hammer didn't go with him.
Hammer wanted to. Kane kinda pissed me off when the refs had Hamonic tied up and he was throwing punches over them. I know he probably thinks of himself as a tough guy because he can box, but how tough is it to throw punches at a guy who's being held by referees?

BTW, even though it's probably a big reason why we allowed that first goal, I'm glad that Hamonic went after Burmistrov after he laid that cheap shot on Tavares. He was mauling him.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Our only win came from Tampa Bay when we were winning 4-0 and they made a serious come back and in the end we won 7-4. We cant even hold a 4-0 lead. This team lacks discipline.. This team needs a new coaching staff. Doug Weight is not the answer either!!

Anyone have Terry Murray's #?? Ill even settle with Paul Maurice at this point. Just give me someone who has experience in coaching and taking there teams to the playoffs.

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Our only win came from Tampa Bay when we were winning 4-0 and they made a serious come back and in the end we won 7-4. We cant even hold a 4-0 lead. This team lacks discipline.. This team needs a new coaching staff. Doug Weight is not the answer either!!
Almost... TB came back and we eventually won 4-3.

In Toronto we won 7-4. That was a game where our boys came back. Down 3-1, they then scored 5 unanswered goals before the teams exchanged a late goal a piece.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:29 AM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post

They have fought before...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDZ2TwcEITw

Last edited by Homeland Security: 01-28-2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Embed YT
goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Almost... TB came back and we eventually won 4-3.

In Toronto we won 7-4. That was a game where our boys came back. Down 3-1, they then scored 5 unanswered goals before the teams exchanged a late goal a piece.
sorry i got the games mixed up.. i completely forgot about Toronto. With that said the Islanders still have a long way to go and need a new coach. Last nights game was a complete mental collapse and those were 2 points we needed.

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
sorry i got the games mixed up.. i completely forgot about Toronto. With that said the Islanders still have a long way to go and need a new coach. Last nights game was a complete mental collapse and those were 2 points we needed.
I think Garth is secretly (or not so secretly?) playing for the hockey prize known as Seth Jones...

Old
01-28-2013, 10:51 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post

I would KILL for Evander Kane to skate alongside John Tavares on the Island. He's a special player and one tough hombre.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:21 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I would KILL for Evander Kane to skate alongside John Tavares on the Island. He's a special player and one tough hombre.
I remember arguing with someone on the main board about Kane's "failure" in Europe, he was somehow making the point that Kane wasn't good enough to play there. This kid can really play. He reminds me of Taylor Hall, great size, tremendous speed, great hands.

Tavares has never had that level of talent around him, which is a shame because he makes those around him so much better that it creates the illusion that "Tavares has good linemates". Yes, they are a dominant first line, compared to the OTHER LINES on the team. (Although, this year, there's much better balance, compared to the last two years. The secondary scoring has been excellent, thanks mostly to two guys: Grabner and Aucoin)

But I was watching some of the TAMPA game against Philly yesterday, St. Louis had four assists. The passing and offensive opportunities when you can throw out Stamkos, Lecavalier, St. Louis - wow. You wonder how they can bring guys like Conacher and Purcell and soon, Connolly along and be successful.

Tavares does everything for Moulson and Okposo (and PAP last year). He's got nobody that can feed him, make HIM better.
And he hasn't been great this year. In fact, watching both Tavares and Seguin this season I'm seeing two guys that are trying too much, they are trying moves that worked in Switzerland but don't work against NHL players. Seguin has 1 assist in four games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Nolan would have them playing like a good team. Demanding it.

If anyone was happy with our effort, I would like to know why. And what. This was the worst hockey I have seen any team play in a long, long, long, long time. And we're covering the late 1990's.

Ullstrom, Nabby and Carkner had to shower in another room due to gender disparity. (yes, I included Tavares and Martin).

Cappy and crew have to go. And I was a huge Cappy fan. Since Wanger isn't going anywhere (statute of limitations ran out and Jesus hates the Isles) and Snow is thus safe, I think our only hope is if Snow can convince Wang to hire a real coach.

The basic fundamentals are all gone. Obliterated. The collective group should be far better on ice and just suck save for individual efforts and dumb luck.
The inconsistency on this team is a bit mind boggling. Within the SAME GAME they are getting completely dominated, then they wake up and score some goals, then they struggle to protect the lead, all, seemingly at random. I know Cappy was outcoached in BOS with two line matchups that led to two goals. But the team plays with ZERO discipline and structure.

I think the KEY reason is they lack TALENT. Truth is, they are NOT GOOD ENOUGH. BUT, you can mitigate problems with hard work, with discipline and a team focus. The PK has been stellar, the PP is hit and miss, but 5on5 they are terrible.

I do believe a better coach can mean a better team. The Isles have enough good players, veteran players that they can play with more structure and consistent effort. But until you upgrade the talent, there will be more losses than wins.

It's surprising that Wang/Snow wouldn't spring for a proper coach. At first, I felt Snow wouldn't hire a great coach for fear of losing his own job. But years later, Snow's solidified his spot in Wang's pocket so why NOT hire a coach? It doesn't costs as much as getting a #2 C, a #1 Winger, a #1 defenseman.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:

Anyone have Terry Murray's #?? Ill even settle with Paul Maurice at this point. Just give me someone who has experience in coaching and taking there teams to the playoffs.
This is so not about coaching. It's really not that hard to explain. Or quick guys are small and our big guys are slow and our medium-sized guys are average skaters. Hence, when we get to the puck first (hello Frans! hello Streit! hello Grabner!) we get outmuscled, and when we don't (hello Carkner! hello Finley!) we don't have the puck *and* we're out of position. Our medium sized guys are fine, sometimes, except when they get tired and hemmed in by the slow biggees or the quick softees (hello everyone else!).

Once we have some big fast guys or (at least) big medium-quick guys, we'll be much better. It's really not that hard. Compound that by the fact that guys like Strait, A-Mac and Streit (at this point) are playing far more minutes than they can handle, especially considering the condensed schedule. You flub pucks when you're tired. Ditto for Okposo and Moulson. Ditto for Grabner and Nielsen. (Anyone who thinks 20 minutes per game is going to be a good thing for Grabner long term... Wow. There's going to be a rude awakening).

The coach has no choice. The bottom-six are scrubs (McDonald, Reasoner), limited players (Martin, Aucoin), and Ullstrom. And the D? Pathetic.

The sad reality is that we may be seeing some of the best Islanders performances we can expect this year. Just wait till the team is tired and hurt.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Hell, I'm not greedy - I'll take Blake Wheeler!

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:48 AM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
This is so not about coaching. It's really not that hard to explain. Or quick guys are small and our big guys are slow and our medium-sized guys are average skaters. Hence, when we get to the puck first (hello Frans! hello Streit! hello Grabner!) we get outmuscled, and when we don't (hello Carkner! hello Finley!) we don't have the puck *and* we're out of position. Our medium sized guys are fine, sometimes, except when they get tired and hemmed in by the slow biggees or the quick softees (hello everyone else!).

Once we have some big fast guys or (at least) big medium-quick guys, we'll be much better. It's really not that hard. Compound that by the fact that guys like Strait, A-Mac and Streit (at this point) are playing far more minutes than they can handle, especially considering the condensed schedule. You flub pucks when you're tired. Ditto for Okposo and Moulson. Ditto for Grabner and Nielsen. (Anyone who thinks 20 minutes per game is going to be a good thing for Grabner long term... Wow. There's going to be a rude awakening).

The coach has no choice. The bottom-six are scrubs (McDonald, Reasoner), limited players (Martin, Aucoin), and Ullstrom. And the D? Pathetic.

The sad reality is that we may be seeing some of the best Islanders performances we can expect this year. Just wait till the team is tired and hurt.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Really well put. On your last point I would add that once the other teams settle in and find a groove our team's issues will correct our record to below 500. This happened the the past several years. The record starts out with promise while our opponents are still adjusting to getting back, new players, etc., and the games are more of an even crap shoot. Then the record dives after game ten or so.

I expect that to happen, particularly while the Isles experiment with tweeners in the lineup.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Che vy Teemuchuk

I had never heard of Ullstrom before last night. But what a player! You guys have a beaut in that guy. Good luck the rest of the season. It'd be awesome if both our clubs could beat out some of the big boy teams in the East for playoff spots.

Che vy Teemuchuk is offline   Reply With Quote