HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Leafs: Discuss the current team (not a tank thread)

Old
01-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
A top draft pick this year and maxing out on Ryan Getzlaf in unrestricted free agency - assuming he gets there - would change this franchise around in a few short summer months.
I feel like getting Perry or Getzlaf is contingent on the Leafs kicking ass and making noise this year, I doubt they come to a 30th place team or something like that.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:30 PM
buntek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Burke banked his job on Kessel and Wilson, 2 are gone now. Only one left, for how long, who knows?

Kessel is a talented player and he is contributing when he is scoring, unlike true franchise players he offers little when he is not producing, he doesn't scream follow me, he doesn't have the leadership intangibles a player like Toews has.

When Burke made this deal, I was ok with it, but as we see Seguin and Hamilton contribute to the Bruins and wonder what if. For me it is better to deal him and forget this spectre looming over Leafs nation heads. Wrong player, at the wrong time for this franchise.

We have to max out his value in a trade and recoup our losses so we can rebuild properly. April trade deadline hopefully.

He will score soon, and I am sure some posters will say, yeah but we want to trade our best scorer. This would be shortsighted.
I always enjoy reading your posts. You took the words right out of my mouth.

buntek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:43 PM
AuGsY

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Are you being serious right now Commentators even highlight this every Toronto and Boston game.
Ok so lets say Toronto slips into 8th and faces Boston 1st round, and our top goal scorer Phil "the thrill" Kessel scores 1 goal if that, you will be perfectly fine with that because he's keeping Chara busy.

AuGsY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:51 PM
DaveT83*

For the first time in I don't know how long I'm starting to see light at the end of this tunnel. I actually beleive this team is so much closer to being competitive today than they were a few weeks ago. Were still a year away from making significant gains but we should all be feeling pretty optimistic regardless of what some of our VET's are doing on the ice.

1. Kessel is gone. If he scores 50 in 48 thats really the only thing that will save him. But he's going to be traded you can bank on it. I'm hoping for a Goalie - a winner thats ready for primetime + a POWER Forward

2. Dion - as much as he should be moved - there's simply no options available. Good teams can't give up signifcant assets to afford him. Rebuilding teams can't introduce him to their locker rooms - he's cancerous. That means he's going to have be demoted. 2nd pairing. No 'C' I'm hoping he can swallow his pride - but more than likely he's going to be a real problem until his contract expires. But like Komi who cares ... bury him on the 3rd pairing - introduce him to the press box. Let them both rot there for as long as it takes.

3. Were drafting a STUD C/1D in this draft.

4. Eakins will be the Head Coach next year - A Fresh Modern Approach to the New NHL is exactly what the doctor ordered.

New ownership/New Management/New Coach to go along with a completely overhauled lineup full of young promising players that will Grow/Gel together ... The Future is bright.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:57 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I feel like getting Perry or Getzlaf is contingent on the Leafs kicking ass and making noise this year, I doubt they come to a 30th place team or something like that.
I agree, that could be part of it. Hence suggesting we'd pay top dollar for Getzlaf here. I would do it anyway and maybe the money talks? Who knows? What's the most we could offer? 7 x 8? 7 x 9?

It's not that bad of an option for the guy. Come play with one of the leagues best snipers in Phil Kessel, all-star winger Joffrey Lupul, make league maximum or close to it in the leagues biggest market. Not to mention we have a stable of nice young assets that will help this team contend in the coming years.

Jake Gardiner
James van Reimsdyk
Nazem Kadri
Morgan Riley
Seth Jones/Drouin/Mackinnon, etc.

Joffrey Lupul _ Ryan Getzlaf _ Phil Kessel
... heck it wouldn't even be a 22 million dollar line.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:02 AM
goonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
... heck it wouldn't even be a 22 million dollar line.

you have to admit.... the 22 mil line is a godly line. worth watching everynight for NYR fans.

SJS top line is also wicked hot right now.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:07 AM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post
you have to admit.... the 22 mil line is a godly line. worth watching everynight for NYR fans.

SJS top line is also wicked hot right now.
uh yeah....

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:16 AM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntek View Post
I always enjoy reading your posts. You took the words right out of my mouth.
Thanks Buntek.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:22 AM
I Believe

I can't understand why Kostka is getting so much icetime and is on the 1st PP unit. I just can't wrap my head around it.

I don't hate the guy but why is he getting played so much?

I Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:21 AM
leafspring*

This is a good enough team to make the play-offs if they strengthen their game away from the puck. Defense first,and use their speed to transition other teams mistakes would go far to being very good.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Oh, i'm not sure about that Stephen.

Lets take the price/term of contract out of the picture for the moment and assume we would offer max term , top yearly per and the perks,ntc/nmc.

Parise or Suter, unsure who it was, did comment on Minnys youth and how that bode well for the future and the choices made.

They could see the leafs in a positive light.

For arguments sake, We add a top 5 pick this year to go with ,Reil,Gards,Kadri,JVR , thats 5 young pieces that could change the fortunes of the team , down the road.

A team with a top 6 of

JVR-Getz-Perry

Lups-Kadri/Bozak-Kessel -------------- That top 6 can compete with anyone in the league.

On D we would have Reils,Gards,Dion,Gunner not a horrid foundation to build a contender out of, during the life of Getz/Perry contracts.

Guys like Mclem,Kuli,Kamor,Brown,Frattin,Orr,Steckle have the makings of a useful bottom 7.

With really 1 big question to be answered, who's in net?.

Along those lines, we open up names like Grabo,Kadri/Bozak,Liles,Franson.Mcarth,Komi, to tweek the roster or possibly fill the hole in net.

4.25--8----8
JVR-Getz-Perry

5.25--3----5.4
Lups-Kadri-Kessel

2.8--1.5----1/1.5
Kuli-Mclem-Kamo/Frat

1----------------1-----------1
Orr/Brown-Steckle/Colb-Kamo/Frat

Dion-----6.5
Gunner---3
Gards---1
Reils---1

Luo/Thomas ?
Reims---1.8

Is this not pretty close to a contending roster?

Is that a roster that would have a UFA look at and say, hell no i ain't going there?

And not in cap hell either, would be about 58.1m cap with 5 players to sign.(This does not have Lou or TT on team) i would suppose both Kuli and Reim contracts would have to be off the books to fit a Lou/Thomas type contract.

Last edited by Faltorvo: 01-28-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:31 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Believe View Post
I can't understand why Kostka is getting so much icetime and is on the 1st PP unit. I just can't wrap my head around it.

I don't hate the guy but why is he getting played so much?
Ive got to think its to create value for a potential trade. If nonis is able to move him for anything he's essentially manufactured an asset. Ive got to think that's a win in some sense. Otherwise it makes no sense. He was a huge unknown, whereas other tweeners like Fraser and holzer were pretty well known to be bottom pairing low value guys.

Just my take/hope. Manufacturing a trade chip where one never existed.

donkeyy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Dark Knight
Mitch.

All I want to say is that if this is the squad we would have taken to the Winter Classic, then it would be an utter embarrassment.

We clearly lack star power up front. A clear example was how the opposition's top lines dominate against us on a regular basis.

We have to play out of our minds to contain the likes of Malkin and Crosby. This is where the problem lies.

01-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
MacKinnon/Seth Jones this year.

Connor MCDAVID NEXT YEAR!

Honestly, I don't care if we get **** this year, as long as Connor McDavid is in a Leafs uni come next year, it will all be worth it, that kid would go 1st in this draft.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
Ive got to think its to create value for a potential trade. If nonis is able to move him for anything he's essentially manufactured an asset. Ive got to think that's a win in some sense. Otherwise it makes no sense. He was a huge unknown, whereas other tweeners like Fraser and holzer were pretty well known to be bottom pairing low value guys.

Just my take/hope. Manufacturing a trade chip where one never existed.
Kostka has 3 points in 5 games, whats wrong with that?

Old
01-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
MacKinnon/Seth Jones this year.

Connor MCDAVID NEXT YEAR!

Honestly, I don't care if we get **** this year, as long as Connor McDavid is in a Leafs uni come next year, it will all be worth it, that kid would go 1st in this draft.
Question,

Would you sacrifice a shot at McDavid if Getz and Perry wanted to sign here?

Old
01-28-2013, 12:24 PM
donkeyy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Kostka has 3 points in 5 games, whats wrong with that?
Nothing. The point i was making is that if he can establish himself as an nhl player (nvm top pairing), nonis/burke/whoever will have taken a career ahler and turned that into a valuable trading piece. Play kostka more and see if he can establish himself. I don't think he's talented enough or physically up to playing 25-30 mins tho (just my opinion).

Im simply speculating on why kostka is getting the time he gets over komi or gunner or especially liles (on the pp)

donkeyy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:26 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 126
I see a team lacking any net presence. JVR is a good addition but I don't think Lupul can take the beating that comes from playing around the goalie's crease. We need that net presence on our #1 PP unit or another playmaking forward (Bozak isn't good enough). I see a team with decent depth at the forward position but not enough diversity up and down the top-9, we need skilled guys with defined roles on this team. I see a team lacking a true #1 defenseman or maybe a guy who compliments Phaneuf so well that they could form a formidable top pairing. Most importantly, I see a team with some real shoddy goaltending which amplifies every single one of our deficiencies

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
Nothing. The point i was making is that if he can establish himself as an nhl player (nvm top pairing), nonis/burke/whoever will have taken a career ahler and turned that into a valuable trading piece. Play kostka more and see if he can establish himself. I don't think he's talented enough or physically up to playing 25-30 mins tho (just my opinion).

I'm simply speculating on why kostka is getting the time he gets over komi or gunner or especially liles (on the pp)
Well my take on why he is getting bigger minutes right now, he is in better game shape then the others, thanks to the time in the AHL.

What was this game 4 in 7 nights? Maybe he is one of the few that have the gas in the tank, right now.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Question,

Would you sacrifice a shot at McDavid if Getz and Perry wanted to sign here?
Depends who we draft this year.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote