HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 11:19 AM
  #101
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Also a great LW. He was the last defenceman on our list we would of felt comfortable to have as a #1, but he didn't fit the style of game we want the Nordiques to play.

------

I have Hockey Town 18 pick, but I want to be sure he's up.


Thanks my thought as well. 1 gm left who had 2 upcoming picks before mine without a defenseman. Thought for sure he'd get scooped.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:19 AM
  #102
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Also a great LW. He was the last defenceman on our list we would of felt comfortable to have as a #1, but he didn't fit the style of game we want the Nordiques to play.

------

I have Hockey Town 18 pick, but I want to be sure he's up.
You're good to go. Trade is fine, processed and everything. Go for it.

vecens24 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:25 AM
  #103
Stoneberg
Bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Stoneberg traded the pick to mark. Can you guys actually make that evident when you pick in the future please?

Thanks.
I thought that was the point of the trade thread.

I'll post in both if I trade another OTC pick.

Stoneberg is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:27 AM
  #104
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Thanks my thought as well. 1 gm left who had 2 upcoming picks before mine without a defenseman. Thought for sure he'd get scooped.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with Gerard as a number 1 because of his lack of longevity (he really only played D for 6 years), but I do really like Gerard a lot. One of the best defensive defensemen ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
I thought that was the point of the trade thread.

I'll post in both if I trade another OTC pick.
Yeah the point of the trade thread is to make sure trades go through and are accepted as legal.

Some people don't check the trade thread though if they aren't on the trade committee/making trades. It just cuts down on the confusion for everyone if you post trades in the draft thread as well, that way everyone knows what's going on.

vecens24 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:29 AM
  #105
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Doug Gilmour, C
Yeah... he's alright, I guess.

BraveCanadian is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:36 AM
  #106
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,256
vCash: 500
Gilmour is awesome.Even if he was too old with Montreal to really contribute he still found his way to awesomeness by breaking the glass of the penaltys box door

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:37 AM
  #107
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with Gerard as a number 1 because of his lack of longevity (he really only played D for 6 years), but I do really like Gerard a lot. One of the best defensive defenceman ever.
Looks like modo should be nervous with Orr then..

markrander87 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:41 AM
  #108
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,238
vCash: 500
Ooh... Neely was Bubba's first forward?

Yeah, you need a guy who can run the offense and not just finish.

seventieslord is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:41 AM
  #109
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Looks like modo should be nervous with Orr then..
...Orr played 9 seasons, plus 3 others with Chicago/Boston at the end of his career with low game totals. Injury ended his career. Gerard legitimately only played 6 seasons at D and that's it.

I think the two are different, don't you?

vecens24 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:41 AM
  #110
Hawkman
Moderator
 
Hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Also a great LW. He was the last defenceman on our list we would of felt comfortable to have as a #1, but he didn't fit the style of game we want the Nordiques to play....
Agreed I was thinking of picking him as a LW.

Hawkman is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:44 AM
  #111
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
Agreed I was thinking of picking him as a LW.
To select him at LW is one of the dumbest things someone could do this early in the draft. Four seasons there, one 9th place in goals? Sure, I bet he was a good defensive forward but....selecting him in the top 150 with that offensive resume? Bad idea. He's a fourth line LWer at best in this thing. But he's a top pairing D I think because his peak was that good.

vecens24 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:45 AM
  #112
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
...Orr played 9 seasons, plus 3 others with Chicago/Boston at the end of his career with low game totals. Injury ended his career. Gerard legitimately only played 6 seasons at D and that's it.

I think the two are different, don't you?

So his other seasons mean nothing? I have to read up on him but he didn't missed games due to injury it was due to a position change (lw) how can that be held against him? He clearly proved what he can do as a number 1 for a cup winning team.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:46 AM
  #113
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,592
vCash: 500
I think you are confusing the two...

markrander87 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:46 AM
  #114
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
Gilmour is awesome.Even if he was too old with Montreal to really contribute he still found his way to awesomeness by breaking the glass of the penaltys box door
Doug Gilmour will always be reminded as a Leafs legends, but he proudly wore the CH jersey. It was a pleasure to have him for a few seasons, even if it was the trail end of his career.

EagleBelfour is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:48 AM
  #115
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
So his other seasons mean nothing? I have to read up on him but he didn't missed games due to injury it was due to a position change (lw) how can that be held against him? He clearly proved what he can do as a number 1 for a cup winning team.
I mean, what do those seasons at LW mean as far as defense? They're....something. I'm not sure what though, and I'd certainly feel a lot more comfortable with someone who has more experience there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
I think you are confusing the two...
Which two do you mean?

vecens24 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:53 AM
  #116
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I mean, what do those seasons at LW mean as far as defense? They're....something. I'm not sure what though, and I'd certainly feel a lot more comfortable with someone who has more experience there.



Which two do you mean?
Missing games to injury. Or missing games to being asked to play another position.

Clearly two different things.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:55 AM
  #117
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Doug Gilmour will always be reminded as a Leafs legends, but he proudly wore the CH jersey. It was a pleasure to have him for a few seasons, even if it was the trail end of his career.
yeah thats true.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:26 PM
  #118
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Missing games to injury. Or missing games to being asked to play another position.

Clearly two different things.
Sure they do mean two different things. But really, how much can you ascribe to Gerard's time at LW that applies to his skill at D? Sure it gives him four years of longevity somewhere.

Do I see a difference in how it went down? Sure, there's a difference between Orr playing D for his whole career (3 years in junior - not saying they count for something as far as actual career value, 9 year prime, 3 year end of a career) and being cut down by injury before his time vs. Gerard playing D for six years at the end of his career (where he was clearly transcendent defensively). But does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? I think that Orr definitely has a longevity edge as a defenseman over Gerard. Orr played as a relatively healthy D 150% of the time Gerard did. The LW years add "something" towards Gerard's longevity, but I'm not sure how much, and it's certainly not a big amount considering we're talking four years.

vecens24 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:36 PM
  #119
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,592
vCash: 500
Curious to why you didn't have such an issue with sidney crosby being a first line centre.

markrander87 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:39 PM
  #120
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,592
vCash: 500
Great bio done by Overpass on Gerard...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=54

markrander87 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:40 PM
  #121
overpass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Sure they do mean two different things. But really, how much can you ascribe to Gerard's time at LW that applies to his skill at D? Sure it gives him four years of longevity somewhere.

Do I see a difference in how it went down? Sure, there's a difference between Orr playing D for his whole career (3 years in junior - not saying they count for something as far as actual career value, 9 year prime, 3 year end of a career) and being cut down by injury before his time vs. Gerard playing D for six years at the end of his career (where he was clearly transcendent defensively). But does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? I think that Orr definitely has a longevity edge as a defenseman over Gerard. Orr played as a relatively healthy D 150% of the time Gerard did. The LW years add "something" towards Gerard's longevity, but I'm not sure how much, and it's certainly not a big amount considering we're talking four years.
Do you consider Dit Clapper to have had a short career for ATD purposes? If so that seems a bit off to me.

overpass is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:42 PM
  #122
BubbaBoot
Registered User
 
BubbaBoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mission Hill
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 10,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Also a great LW. He was the last defenceman on our list we would of felt comfortable to have as a #1, but he didn't fit the style of game we want the Nordiques to play.

------

With the 91st pick, the Chicago Shamrocks are proud to select:


Doug Gilmour, C
Ah ya bastid.....that was my CTR......sigh*

BubbaBoot is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:43 PM
  #123
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Curious to why you didn't have such an issue with sidney crosby being a first line centre.
I don't think I never said that I didn't. Hell, two drafts ago I was the person that was comparing Crosby's resume to another modern center for these purposes who I had as my second line C and got called stupid.

Plus, EB had him pretty well insulated as the second best player on his line last year. Either way, I don't think EB's strength last year was offense. I think I had him 4th or so in his division?

vecens24 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:43 PM
  #124
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,595
vCash: 500
Bentley and Lach at this point just scream great value.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:43 PM
  #125
BubbaBoot
Registered User
 
BubbaBoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mission Hill
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 10,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Ooh... Neely was Bubba's first forward?

Yeah, you need a guy who can run the offense and not just finish.
I still think there's a few of these quality guys left.....believe me, it was a real decision for me.

BubbaBoot is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.