HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumour Thread I: Post-Lockout Madness

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 11:34 AM
  #776
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Ryder is a UFA to be.

could be a nice addition.

I hope I am wrong, I hope he proves me wrong, but Stepan needs to be more assertive with his abilities.

Not sure if it's a lack of confidence with him, but we all know he has talent, he just needs to be alot more assertive with it.

Getting a 2nd line scorer to go with a timid center may not be much of a help at all.

But if we are adding secondary scoring, Ryder could be a good fit.
Stepan needs to get his game together. He has looked very shaky. But this is not me advocating to send him on the next bus packing in a trade like some here are ready to do. The kid has good playmaking ability, he is smart, and has leadership qualities that will be useful in the future. For now he just needs to make smarter plays, better passes, and a little more aggressive.

I also like Ryder. He'd be a good addition for the PP. But for me personally, he would not be my first choice. Given that teams have to get down to $64 million for next season anyways, there should be more players available than last year because teams will make the decision to get something back for their potential UFAs. I am of course going to advocate Iginla, but that's because he's always been a favorite of mine.

RGY is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:36 AM
  #777
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think the main piece of a Gaborik trade would be a young blue-chipper. If Gaborik were to be traded, it's not as if the team is suddenly devoid of talent and heading towards a rebuild. We'd need a piece coming back who can ease the loss of a 40 goal scorer and keep us competitive. Unless the Rangers see a guy in the top half of the draft who can step in and make an impact next season, we'll need something more significant in the deal.

The real issue is that contenders aren't going to want to part with those kinds of players, and they're likely the ones who will have a need for Gaborik.
I don't know...i mean we just just made that kind of deal, and we are a contender (should be anyway).

If we got back a package like Columbus did for Nash, would you do it?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:37 AM
  #778
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
In theory, I agree, but its really not that simple. The team has a few year window here with Lundqvist, Gaborik, Richards, and Nash in their primes (Richards is slowly moving out of his right now).

Gaborik is a huge piece to the win-now puzzle. They need to proceed with caution, because too much of an eye on the future could adversely effect a squad thats ready to make a run right now.

Also, besides cap relief, Im not convinced Gaborik brings back a hefty return.
And I totally understand that this is the supposed "window", but if I am Sather, I have to look at the core of the team and realize Hank will be in his prime for 5+ years, Nash is the same way. Keep the defense together and the team is VERY strong.

I guess I just realize that the Rangers will never be able to draft a superstar. There options are either to sign them via UFA or trade for them. Gaborik to me, was a great signing. But if the Rangers can turn Gaborik (UFA) into multiple very good assets that is the marker of a good business. Free assets. The Gomez trade is a good example of that.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:38 AM
  #779
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Which is exactly what CBJ fans thought about Nash.

Trading Gaborik is by most respects a backwards move. Flip Stepan and Girardi/Staal for an top young center on his ELC, and we can delay cap problems for a year. This of course will depend on the development of Mr. McIlrath or the potential recovery of Mr. Sauer.
That's a big IF, though, on McIlrath. And i like him a lot.

I'm hesitant to want to trade any of our top four defensmen. And i know Girardi is starting to get up there in age. He's still in his prime though.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:40 AM
  #780
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I don't know...i mean we just just made that kind of deal, and we are a contender (should be anyway).

If we got back a package like Columbus did for Nash, would you do it?
I don't think you can use the Nash deal as the barometer of that kind of trade. Nash is younger and signed long-term. Gaborik is older, only has 1 year left, and has plenty of IR time to his name. He might potentially return a value closer to that of a rental, than what Nash fetched.

If they offered Dubi, AA, Erixon and a 1st for Gabby, I'd say no. But that's more to do with my opinion of those players than anything else. The same sort of package from another team might change my mind.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:41 AM
  #781
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,938
vCash: 500
I have faith in Sather. If he gets a line or lead on someone. Also depends on what we get back. If we get picks and lesser players, then no. If we get some nice players to make the team better, then yes.

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:42 AM
  #782
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't think you can use the Nash deal as the barometer of that kind of trade. Nash is younger and signed long-term. Gaborik is older, only has 1 year left, and has plenty of IR time to his name. He might potentially return a value closer to that of a rental, than what Nash fetched.

If they offered Dubi, AA, Erixon and a 1st for Gabby, I'd say no. But that's more to do with my opinion of those players than anything else. The same sort of package from another team might change my mind.
I would be looking for a return similar to that of Brent Burns who was a UFA in a year when he was traded to SJ.

Coyle + 1st + Seto I believe it was.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:44 AM
  #783
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Wouldn't be surprised at all if they kicked the tires on Weiss. I think it's been known that the Rangers like him and his family is tight with Graves.

Championship* is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:45 AM
  #784
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,494
vCash: 500
Sather said there was the possibility of bringing over Fast and Lindberg when the SEL season is over. That should add some depth to the bottom 6. Especially Lindberg as he was known as a good FO man, responsible center whos added offensive production this season. We don't need a savior just players capable of solid 10-12 minutes.

ecemleafs is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:45 AM
  #785
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would be looking for a return similar to that of Brent Burns who was a UFA in a year when he was traded to SJ.

Coyle + 1st + Seto I believe it was.
That would be my asking price as well, I think, but you might have to settle for 2 out of 3 given Gaborik's age.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:47 AM
  #786
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
That would be my asking price as well, I think, but you might have to settle for 2 out of 3 given Gaborik's age.
Yeah, possibly. Depends on who else is available. If Getzlaf, Iginla and Perry make it to UFA and Lecavalier is bought out along with some other players there may not be a market for him....

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:48 AM
  #787
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Ryan O'Reilly rumored to be available....


There has been no resolution with the contract dispute between Colorado F Ryan O'Reilly and Avalanche GM Greg Sherman. Since the two sides haven't been able to get anywhere, there are whispers the Avs have been offering O'Reilly, 21, who had 18 goals and 37 assists last season, around to see what they can get in return. The asking price is a young forward and a second-round pick ... Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has been busy working the phones. With the club devastated by injuries, the Flyers have been looking for help just about anywhere -- including in the net because Ilya Bryzgalov hasn't gotten the job done. Some are starting to wonder about coach Peter Laviolette's shelf life if it doesn't turn around ... The Kings have been sniffing around for a blueliner with Matt Greene out after having back surgery.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/01/26/...ter-slow-start


would Stepan and 2ed and one of the NYR 3rd be enough????

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:53 AM
  #788
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,595
vCash: 500
Derek Stepan
51 points in 82 games as a 21 year old

Ryan O'Reilly
55 points in 81 games as a 20 year old

I would say they are comparable players in terms of offensive ability and Stepan fits in well in this locker room. I would hang onto Stepan for a long time.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:53 AM
  #789
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Ryan O'Reilly rumored to be available....


There has been no resolution with the contract dispute between Colorado F Ryan O'Reilly and Avalanche GM Greg Sherman. Since the two sides haven't been able to get anywhere, there are whispers the Avs have been offering O'Reilly, 21, who had 18 goals and 37 assists last season, around to see what they can get in return. The asking price is a young forward and a second-round pick ... Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has been busy working the phones. With the club devastated by injuries, the Flyers have been looking for help just about anywhere -- including in the net because Ilya Bryzgalov hasn't gotten the job done. Some are starting to wonder about coach Peter Laviolette's shelf life if it doesn't turn around ... The Kings have been sniffing around for a blueliner with Matt Greene out after having back surgery.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/01/26/...ter-slow-start


would Stepan and 2ed and one of the NYR 3rd be enough????
And at 21 last year Stepan had 51 points. At 20, he had 45 points. Yet we will trade him and a draft pick for a guy who is producing the same as him right now plus he obviously must want a decent amount of money if Colorado can't lock him down.

Not to mention for as much as he has struggled out of the gate he still has 4 points in 5 games.


Think guys. Think.

RGY is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:53 AM
  #790
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,018
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Ryan O'Reilly rumored to be available....


There has been no resolution with the contract dispute between Colorado F Ryan O'Reilly and Avalanche GM Greg Sherman. Since the two sides haven't been able to get anywhere, there are whispers the Avs have been offering O'Reilly, 21, who had 18 goals and 37 assists last season, around to see what they can get in return. The asking price is a young forward and a second-round pick ... Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has been busy working the phones. With the club devastated by injuries, the Flyers have been looking for help just about anywhere -- including in the net because Ilya Bryzgalov hasn't gotten the job done. Some are starting to wonder about coach Peter Laviolette's shelf life if it doesn't turn around ... The Kings have been sniffing around for a blueliner with Matt Greene out after having back surgery.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/01/26/...ter-slow-start


would Stepan and 2ed and one of the NYR 3rd be enough????
Would Stepan, a 2nd, and say a mid level prospect get it done hypothetically speaking?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:53 AM
  #791
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,540
vCash: 500
Still waiting for another source to confirm the ROR speculation. Garrioch speculates just for the sake of speculation.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:56 AM
  #792
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Derek Stepan
51 points in 82 games as a 21 year old

Ryan O'Reilly
55 points in 81 games as a 20 year old

I would say they are comparable players in terms of offensive ability and Stepan fits in well in this locker room. I would hang onto Stepan for a long time.
Steps is more proven offensively, though not by much, but O'Reilly is a true shut-down caliber center. Very solid on faceoffs, good skater, and will probably win a Selke someday. I love Stepan, but he's a step behind ROR at this point. (Ha. Puns are fun.)

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:56 AM
  #793
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Why trade Stepan for O'Reilly? Lateral move right now and IMO Stepan could be the better player.

I don't think we have the young roster forward to give them.

I wouldn't be POed if it happened, though.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:57 AM
  #794
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Steps is more proven offensively, though not by much, but O'Reilly is a true shut-down caliber center. Very solid on faceoffs, good skater, and will probably win a Selke someday. I love Stepan, but he's a step behind ROR at this point. (Ha. Puns are fun.)
I agree he is a step behind, but knowing what Stepan brings I would keep him and deal someone else. I doubt the Avs would be looking for a center considering they have Stastny and Duchene anyways.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:57 AM
  #795
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Would Stepan, a 2nd, and say a mid level prospect get it done hypothetically speaking?
Why? Why? Why? Did you look up the stats on these two? If not they're in the posts above yours.

RGY is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:57 AM
  #796
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
In theory, I agree, but its really not that simple. The team has a few year window here with Lundqvist, Gaborik, Richards, and Nash in their primes (Richards is slowly moving out of his right now).

Gaborik is a huge piece to the win-now puzzle. They need to proceed with caution, because too much of an eye on the future could adversely effect a squad thats ready to make a run right now.

Also, besides cap relief, Im not convinced Gaborik brings back a hefty return.
the concern I have is losing Gaborik for nothing.

Kreider and MDZ are RFA's / Callahan, Girardi and Lundqvist are all UFA's during Gabroik's walk year.

A decision will be made to allow Gaborik to leave via free agency not getting anything in return for the player, or move him and continue to feed the pipeline and get replacement players in the system and further on the pro roster.

I say those are the 2 decisions as I do not envision a scenario in which we have the Cap space to retain him unless he takes a sweet-heart of a discount to stay (under 5 per) which I doubt.

Also, I think that there may be a team that is prepped to push for contention that would make a play for Gaborik as opposed to just focusing on teams that are already contenders.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:58 AM
  #797
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,826
vCash: 500
ROR is looked at as a future, probably even current, Selke Trophy type player. I think you guys might be overvaluing Stepan in this kind of conversation.

That being said, I don't see where we'll be fitting him into our cap situation for next season.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:00 PM
  #798
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
ROR is looked at as a future, probably even current, Selke Trophy type player. I think you guys might be overvaluing Stepan in this kind of conversation.

That being said, I don't see where we'll be fitting him into our cap situation for next season.
Anything is possible. Trade for O'Reilly now and trade Gaborik over the off-season would be 1 way.

It's not going to happen. I doubt Satehr wants to shake up the team any more than he already has.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:04 PM
  #799
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,699
vCash: 500
I'd love ROR on this team. Future Selke winner, IMO. However, with Duchene and Stastny, Colarado is definitely not looking for centers. They are looking for a LD to pair with Erik Johnson, most likely. They could also be looking for wingers. Stepan makes no sense for them what so ever.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:05 PM
  #800
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yeah, possibly. Depends on who else is available. If Getzlaf, Iginla and Perry make it to UFA and Lecavalier is bought out along with some other players there may not be a market for him....
That's why any trade HAS to be at the draft.

In order to maximize the return, the deal has to be done before the league gets to that period in time where teams can start talking with potential UFA's.

If you wait until after 07/01 then you just killed any leverage you had not to mention that you pass on a pick that could have been used on a player you wanted in the up coming draft.

pld459666 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.