HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

The Visitor's Guide to Boston

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2012, 07:46 PM
  #151
Btown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
The Omni Parker House is on Tremont Street, a seven to ten minute walk to Boston Garden.
You'll pass many a good bar along the way. A popular Bruins hangout is "The Fours" on Canal Street.
Thanks for the info I went to the fours and had some great bar food...
Man Boston is really easy to get around what a walking town. It was great and can't wait to get back and enjoy the area again.

Btown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 08:06 PM
  #152
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 12,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
The Omni Parker House is on Tremont Street, a seven to ten minute walk to Boston Garden.
You'll pass many a good bar along the way. A popular Bruins hangout is "The Fours" on Canal Street.
mmmmm what I would give for a Larry Bird or Bobby Orr right now.

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:15 PM
  #153
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,524
vCash: 500
Great thread guys. Heading to boston in March with my girlfriend. Looking to get floor tickets for the celtics any poster have any advice? Online I can get a corner lodge row B. What side are the benches on?/would the players be in the way?

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:16 AM
  #154
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,524
vCash: 500
Best transportation in Boston

Lifelong B's fan here. Planning a trip in March to see two Bruins games and a Celtics game. We will be there for 6 days, just checking around for the best mode of seeing the entire city? Is it the T'line? also checking out the Trolley option or any other tyoe of "tour".

Some advice from locals would be very appreciatted. Thanks

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:18 AM
  #155
chuckdobbins
Moderator
 
chuckdobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 22,917
vCash: 500
http://mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

chuckdobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:20 AM
  #156
Tuukka Time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
We will be there for 6 days, just checking around for the best mode of seeing the entire city?
Back of a police car. Best way to prove you had a really good time.

Tuukka Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:23 AM
  #157
northeastern
Registered User
 
northeastern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,729
vCash: 500
The t will get you everywhere. There are tour trolley things that you can get on/off as you please for a day if you pay for it so if you spend a day touring not a bad option.

If you break up your days and see part of the city a day the t or even a cab would be fine.

northeastern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:31 AM
  #158
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 11,420
vCash: 500
In 6 days you could walk the city twice.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:35 AM
  #159
Salem13
Registered User
 
Salem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Salem,Mass
Country: United States
Posts: 2,593
vCash: 500
The T will get you anywhere, provided you want to be home by 11pm...

...last thing you want is to step off the blue line and find out the only place you can get to from there is Central Square Lynn

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:51 AM
  #160
Tuukka Time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem13 View Post
The T will get you anywhere, provided you want to be home by 11pm...

...last thing you want is to step off the blue line and find out the only place you can get to from there is Central Square Lynn
I'd take that over getting stuck around Ruggles Station late at night on foot.

Tuukka Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
  #161
markrander87
Registered User
 
markrander87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
The t will get you everywhere. There are tour trolley things that you can get on/off as you please for a day if you pay for it so if you spend a day touring not a bad option.

If you break up your days and see part of the city a day the t or even a cab would be fine.
The trolley has a promotion for 7 straight days of use for the cost of one. Just not sure if it is tough to catch one or if there are multiple trolleys.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:33 PM
  #162
Son of Marshmont
Moose Replacement
 
Son of Marshmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Meff
Country: United States
Posts: 7,547
vCash: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
The trolley has a promotion for 7 straight days of use for the cost of one. Just not sure if it is tough to catch one or if there are multiple trolleys.
There are a few "trolley tours" to choose from if you're looking at it from the touristy piece. Thing with those tours is that you can get off at a stop and spend as much time as you need at certain destinations, then pick up the trolley again. I sent my family on it and they used it over a three day span, could pick and choose which spots they wanted to spend more time on and which they could just pass on by.

If the Garden is your primary destination, just stay downtown and walk. Grab a copy of the MBTA link that was posted here. Most of what you'll want to see is downtown and in the Back Bay/Fenway area anyway, all accessible by the Green line, unless you wanna see the rows of empty warehouses and yuppies in South Boston (Red Line, Broadway/Andrew stops).

Son of Marshmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:50 PM
  #163
Salem13
Registered User
 
Salem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Salem,Mass
Country: United States
Posts: 2,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka Time View Post
I'd take that over getting stuck around Ruggles Station late at night on foot.
So I take it you dont know Lynn?

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:50 PM
  #164
Tuukka Time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem13 View Post
So I take it you dont know Lynn?
I know it well enough. Doesn't crack my top 5. From my experiences, I'd put it behind Roxbury, Chelsea, Lawrence, Brockton and Fitchburg.

Tuukka Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:55 PM
  #165
Myzie19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Hey Guys,
On Thursday a couple of my friends and myself are flying into Boston. Coincidentally, the bruins play the jets in Winnipeg on Sunday and I was wondering what the most popular sports bars are in Boston to watch the game?

Cheers,

Myzie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:01 PM
  #166
LoneWolf54
Relocated.
 
LoneWolf54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzie19 View Post
Hey Guys,
On Thursday a couple of my friends and myself are flying into Boston. Coincidentally, the bruins play the jets in Winnipeg on Sunday and I was wondering what the most popular sports bars are in Boston to watch the game?

Cheers,
Any of the bars or restauraunts listed in the original post. Sports grille. Fours. Sullivans

LoneWolf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:12 PM
  #167
Myzie19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf54 View Post
Any of the bars or restauraunts listed in the original post. Sports grille. Fours. Sullivans
Thanks a lot

Myzie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:09 AM
  #168
BigBadBruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 364
vCash: 500
Finally it is our turn to ask for some help in this thread as we are planning on heading to Boston from wintry Saskatoon! We are planning on being there for over a week during the Easter Break. families, totally of 7 people and looking for any advice such as what to do, where to stay and get around, best method to buy tickets, etc. So far this thread has been great for ideas, but so much of this is new to me a a first timer that it is over my head. Plan on doing lots of research over the next month.

A couple of questions off the top of my head:

- anything I should be aware of buying tickets from one of the resell sites? Have never used stubhub or ace before.
- any good, affordable hotel suggestions? We are not yet sure about having a car while there(is it necessary??), but were thinking about staying somewhat close to the Garden
- want to do the ducktours and the Fenway tour. I assume both are available in early April
-Was wondering if the B's doing anything special for out of town guests? This is a once in a lifetime trip for us and would like to do something special as a die hard Bruins family.
- Redsox tickets. Since we are there, thinking about trying to take in a game. I realize it is the Yanks that week and opening week, but I was wondering if there are any good ways of getting tickets and how much $$ we could expect to pay.

thanks.

BigBadBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:01 PM
  #169
Saxon Eric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mendon/Greenfield NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,026
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
I have to give a to Antico Forno on Salem St in the North End, had a simply outstanding meal last Saturday night, definitely will hit that place again soon

Saxon Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:05 PM
  #170
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 8,503
vCash: 500
Any concert goers got advice on the House of Blues as a venue?

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:38 PM
  #171
schmautzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin View Post
Finally it is our turn to ask for some help in this thread as we are planning on heading to Boston from wintry Saskatoon! We are planning on being there for over a week during the Easter Break. families, totally of 7 people and looking for any advice such as what to do, where to stay and get around, best method to buy tickets, etc. So far this thread has been great for ideas, but so much of this is new to me a a first timer that it is over my head. Plan on doing lots of research over the next month.

A couple of questions off the top of my head:

- anything I should be aware of buying tickets from one of the resell sites? Have never used stubhub or ace before.
- any good, affordable hotel suggestions? We are not yet sure about having a car while there(is it necessary??), but were thinking about staying somewhat close to the Garden
- want to do the ducktours and the Fenway tour. I assume both are available in early April
-Was wondering if the B's doing anything special for out of town guests? This is a once in a lifetime trip for us and would like to do something special as a die hard Bruins family.
- Redsox tickets. Since we are there, thinking about trying to take in a game. I realize it is the Yanks that week and opening week, but I was wondering if there are any good ways of getting tickets and how much $$ we could expect to pay.

thanks.
The Sox are away that first week. Their home opener is the 8th.
You wont need a car.

schmautzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:00 PM
  #172
SAVEBYTHOMAS
Registered User
 
SAVEBYTHOMAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: boston
Country: United States
Posts: 854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Any concert goers got advice on the House of Blues as a venue?
Awesome venue. It's impressive.

Just don't get tickets in the mezzanine, unless you manage to be leaning right over the railing, it's impossible to see the stage. Other than that no complaints, pricey drinks are expected.

SAVEBYTHOMAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:03 PM
  #173
Metroid
Registered User
 
Metroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SR388
Posts: 337
vCash: 162
I've read 1st couple of pages but could not find anything about the punk/metal scene in Boston, anyone would be able to help me out? I'm going to be heading down to Boston March 15-19th (staying for st.pattys) the other days I would love to go check out some local punk rock and or metal shows, anyone know which bars have that sorta thing?

Metroid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:32 PM
  #174
SuchADangerous
Registered User
 
SuchADangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
I've read 1st couple of pages but could not find anything about the punk/metal scene in Boston, anyone would be able to help me out? I'm going to be heading down to Boston March 15-19th (staying for st.pattys) the other days I would love to go check out some local punk rock and or metal shows, anyone know which bars have that sorta thing?
The Boston punk scene rules.

March 16 Dropkick Murphys are playing "The Gang's All Here" in it's entirety at Brighton Music Hall. Dunno what the ticketing situation is yet, last year they did "Do or Die" at the same venue and it was insane. Waited overnight for tickets and it was completely worth it.

As for other shows, I'll check my calendar and let you know.

SuchADangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:05 PM
  #175
tragos
Registered User
 
tragos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Camberville
Country: United States
Posts: 455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
I've read 1st couple of pages but could not find anything about the punk/metal scene in Boston, anyone would be able to help me out? I'm going to be heading down to Boston March 15-19th (staying for st.pattys) the other days I would love to go check out some local punk rock and or metal shows, anyone know which bars have that sorta thing?
(Unfortunately) Ticketmaster's usually pretty helpful for checking out area shows.

Best overall venues IMO: Paradise, Middle East, Sinclair, TT's, O'Briens, Great Scott, Radio

tragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.