HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh Needs Two Top Six Wingers

Old
01-28-2013, 10:22 AM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheris View Post
I'm honestly amazed how many Penguins fans are watching this team and thinking that offense is the problem. Also, does no one remember where the Pens ranked in goals scored last year?

While it would be nice to add a top six winger unless that player completely changes their puck management in their own zone it won't mean much. Also, please stop playing Lovejoy.
Have you ever watched the Penguins try to move the puck up ice? Watched Kunitz and Dupuis with Crosby this year? Care to venture a guess who's playing with Malkin and Neal? Don't confuse offense with just scoring goals. A winger for Crosby is an absolute must. A winger for Malkin and Neal is a need. Nothing has changed since last year in that regard.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Thesensation19

I also dont see San Jose giving up anyone like Clowe now

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:48 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
It is hard to acquire top end talent in free agency without having to overpay. I don't know what the PENS needs are. What I do know is they have had little success drafting forwards in later rounds in recent years like the majority of teams. NHL scouting has become better than ever and its becoming more and more difficult to uncover the late round gem.
This is why I understand the OP feelings. I really don't think the Penquins would be wise to sell the farm for UFA's and aging but talented vets.
Perhaps the Pens could try for Dustin Penner or Simone Gagner from the Kings.
There has been talk about Victor Stallberg and Sam Gagner (C)
I could see the Leafs selling at the deadline but asking for way too much.
Its going to be slim pickings this year because of the condensed 48 game schedule.
Could Semin be a viable option?
Im sure the PENS could get Leino for cheap.
WHat would the PEns trade for Keith Aucoin or Josh Bailey?
Pass on penned. He is worrthless in every sense.

Pass on Sam gagner. We have our centers and he would be our fourth. He can't win face offs and shoots his load as in scoring in a 10-day period

semin is too moody. Great talent, but lazy. Pass.

Leino ... No

Victor stahl berg I like. Not sure Chicago will trade him. You can sign him in the offseason as he is a pending free agent.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:57 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
That is too much. So, our top forward prospect ... First rounder from three years ago along with a first rounder in a deep 2013 draft and another piece?
Propose a better and realistic offer?

You'll need to overpay for a player who they have no interest in trading.. He's captain Calgary and the face of the franchise for over a decade...

The package will have to wow them.. I think Calgary will get better offers elsewhere because Shero likely doesn't have the cap to resign him... Whoever pays a premium will want to squeeze every ounce of hockey he has left in him..

I'd love to see Iggy in Pittsburgh, but I don't think it'll happen..

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Fire Shero*

I'm sorry, but after Shero failed to sign Parise, why did he not offer Semin a one year deal? Did he really think Eric Tangradi and Pascal Dupuis would suffice?

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:07 AM
OLUSAF

Kulemin for Pitt 1st is very reasonable for both sides.
Possibly with additional picks going to Toronto based on placement of the 1st.

OLUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Sterling31
YNWA

They should really pony up for Iginla. Something the Flames will be okay with.

Iggy on Sids wing would make the NHL more fun to watch.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:15 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
They should really pony up for Iginla. Something the Flames will be okay with.

Iggy on Sids wing would make the NHL more fun to watch.

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:18 AM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:32 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

isnt it tough when a you have a team with two superstars who they prefer to play on separate lines?

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:43 AM
LetangInTheSO

This thread falls into TL;DR territory for me.

In terms of the Penguins' needs, the club desperately need a top-6 winger (or two). They don't need a stud, but they do need a guy who can play in the top 6 today, not next season or the one after.

In terms of assets, the Pens have a logjam of prospects on D. The most NHL-ready ones are Despres and Bortuzzo (both of whom have looked OK in their limited time on the big club). Guys currently in the system with the highest upside - listed in order - are Morrow, Pouliot, Maatta, Harrington, Dumoulin.

In terms of expendable roster players, on forward the Pens could likely only part with Kennedy or Cooke (the loss of anybody else would create a gaping hole in the top 12). On D, there seems to be chatter that the Penguins would move Martin or Orpik in the right deal, though I'm not sure about that.

In terms of picks, the Penguins would part with a 1st/2nd.

So, the ideal package from the Pens would include blue chipper (Morrow being the best one), roster player (Kennedy most likely) and a pick (1st/2nd). If that package sounds appealing to anybody with an expendable top-6 winger, let's chat!

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:44 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
As a Pens fan, I personally get quite annoyed with the majority of other Pens fans. Could we use a top 6 winger or two? Most certainly, but making it seem as if that's the only way we can win is a joke. I'm sure just about every team would take our top 3 forwards over theirs (Crosby/Malkin/Neal) and Kunitz is no slouch either. As much as I'm not a huge Dupuis fan, he's done great in a top 6 role here. We have 2 franchise players, 1 all star, 1 good top 6, and a decent filler, Pens fans need to realize that we can't have it all. Are we struggling to score? Yes. Should we be? No. I put more on the coaches than the players at this point.
The thing is, 20 goal scorers aren't THAT hard to acquire. There's no reason that Pittsburgh doesn't have a Setoguchi, or a Stempniak, or a Ryder. They've only got two wingers that can score 20 outside of Pittsburgh which is terrible. Pittsburgh would have to give a lot to get a 30+ goal scorer but a 20 goal scorer isn't that expensive. It's the one glaring hole in Pittsburgh's system, I see no reason why they can't address it.

As I said, Iginla is off the market most likely, but Calgary would possibly be open to dealing Cammalleri or Stempniak if the price is right. They're a lot better and more complimentary than any winger not named Neal or Kunitz. Those are the type of players Pittsburgh should be eyeing, to give their top 6 a much needed boost.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:46 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

stempniak a top 6 forward?
how long has this been going on

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Black Label

The Penguins don't need more wingers, they just need the wingers they have to stop playing like crap. If Kunitz, Dupuis, and whoever they stick with Malkin/Neal can just play smart hockey and not turn the puck over they will be fine. Just keep your stick on the ice and stop making no look passes.

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:19 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
stempniak a top 6 forward?
how long has this been going on
He scored 28 goals a few seasons ago. He scored 19 on the Flames third line, only because wing depth is Flames main strength. On Pittsburgh's top two lines he would no doubt be a consistent 20 goal scorer, with a good bet that he scores 25+. This season he's been lights out so far so his stock is on the rise. He's a great player but he's never had an elite center to pass to him.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:33 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
And 35 year-old power forwards typically don't age like Catalan wine. We're not acquiring circa 2006 Jarome Iginla, so I don't care how many years in a row he's hit a statistical milestone, his best days are firmly in the rear-view mirror.
It's funny because that's the exact same thing people said in 05-06, when he got 35G 35A for 67 P (exact same stats as last year). He came back with two monstrous years.

Again in 09-10 he had a 69 point season, and again people declared that him old and on the way down. He followed it up in 10-11 with 43G and 43A for 86 points (6th in scoring, 3rd in goals).

He's always had 60 point seasons sprinkled throughout his career, and people consistently say it's all downhill from there. They just don't understand the cyclical nature of his seasons.

Granted he's not getting younger, but if you want to look at his last season as strong evidence of a regression you'd be repeating the same folly all over again.

It should also be noted that the team as a whole has really struggled the past 3 seasons and was under a defensive Brent Sutter system.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:34 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Have you ever watched the Penguins try to move the puck up ice? Watched Kunitz and Dupuis with Crosby this year? Care to venture a guess who's playing with Malkin and Neal? Don't confuse offense with just scoring goals. A winger for Crosby is an absolute must. A winger for Malkin and Neal is a need. Nothing has changed since last year in that regard.
I still maintain that a winger for Malkin is not a need, because solving the problem on Sid`s wing will automatically solve the one on Malkin`s too, when he gets Kunitz back.
Duper isn`t the problem. Could he ideally be upgraded? Sure. But he is still fast enough and not a defensive liability, so I`d rather conserve resources and get 87 an actual scoring threat than get two more borderliners the likes of Kulemin.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:27 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
I still maintain that a winger for Malkin is not a need, because solving the problem on Sid`s wing will automatically solve the one on Malkin`s too, when he gets Kunitz back.
Duper isn`t the problem. Could he ideally be upgraded? Sure. But he is still fast enough and not a defensive liability, so I`d rather conserve resources and get 87 an actual scoring threat than get two more borderliners the likes of Kulemin.
Agree

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:30 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
I don't think Kunitz will magically get his head out of his ass by being moved to Malkin's line

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:30 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
isnt it tough when a you have a team with two superstars who they prefer to play on separate lines?
Wouldn't it suck being the 4th line centre on the Penguins?

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:34 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Joe Vitale, the greatest player who ever played, has a bigger cult following than Sid and Geno combined... I think he's doing OK for himself

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Joe Hallenback

Hemsky for Despres and 2013 2nd

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Vitale is god incarnate. how could it suck to be god?

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Hemsky for Despres and 2013 2nd
I wouldn't trade Despres for Hemsky, period. I don't think dealing arguably our best defense prospect/trade chip for an LTIR regular coming off an unproductive season is a prudent use of our assets.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheris View Post
I'm honestly amazed how many Penguins fans are watching this team and thinking that offense is the problem. Also, does no one remember where the Pens ranked in goals scored last year?

While it would be nice to add a top six winger unless that player completely changes their puck management in their own zone it won't mean much. Also, please stop playing Lovejoy.
You are? Our offense has looked like total dog**** the past 3 games. We can't keep sustained pressure in the offensive zone and are scoring most of our goals off the rush. The Crosby line looks terrible 5 on 5 unless Sid is dangling. Geno and Neal look great, but there is an obvious black hole on the left. The defense has been solid in the early going so I'm not sure your point.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote