HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Laurent Brossoit - G Edmonton Oil Kings (CGY pick)

Old
11-15-2012, 01:41 AM
flameaholic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Between the pipes is easily Calgary's biggest strength with Irving, Ramo, Brossoit, Ortio and potentially Taylor who has been putting up nice numbers with the Heat this year. Calgary will have a pretty nice problem and luxury when it comes to finding a replacement for Kipper.
Don't forget Gillies, who's tearing up the NCAA this season. Calgary has maybe the best stable of goaltending prospects in the NHL.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:45 AM
flameaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
They've also got Ramage in the NCAA - looks like he could be a solid 4-6 stay-at-home type in the long run.

But you're right - it seems like most of their picks are from the WHL and NCAA. They did take Granlund from Europe last year and he's had a solid year as well. And they did pick Erixon in the 1st a couple of years ago (although we all know how that turned out).
Quite well actually, we got Horak in that deal (amongst others).

Calgary has been quietly building up their prospect pool over the last 2-3 years.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:08 AM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Quite well actually, we got Horak in that deal (amongst others).

Calgary has been quietly building up their prospect pool over the last 2-3 years.
Horak, Wortherspoon and Granlund.

You're absolutely right.

Baertschi, Janko, Sieloff, Wortherspoon, Gaudreau, Brossoit, Gillies, and Granlund all in two drafts!

Last edited by Money Baer: 01-28-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:58 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Brossoit has really rebounded from his slow start. 2nd in the league in GAA and 3rd in SV% not to mention he can chuck 'em pretty good for a goalie:

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocen...1325&id=196604

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
Brossoit has really rebounded from his slow start. 2nd in the league in GAA and 3rd in SV% not to mention he can chuck 'em pretty good for a goalie:

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocen...1325&id=196604
Brossoit has had a great season, but has been LIGHTS OUT since team Canada evaluation camp.

Big, athletic goaltender, with promising upside. Hopefully we see him with the Heat next season!

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:40 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Brossoit has had a great season, but has been LIGHTS OUT since team Canada evaluation camp.

Big, athletic goaltender, with promising upside. Hopefully we see him with the Heat next season!
And a terrible mental game that could have impacts on his future career.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
I feel like the biggest problem is that age gap group. Flames have good roster players around 30 and above. They have some nice prospects that I think will be NHL'ers, Arnold, Reinhart, Baertschi, Nemisz, Bouma, etc. Leach, Wotherspoon, Ramage on D.

What they seem to be missing is that age gap of 22-27, I think that's sort of what they plan to use the college FA signings for.
Ummmm... Leach is no longer Flames property. He wasn't resigned. Feaster also strongly hinted Ramage isn't in the future plans. The organization is very high on Gaudreau and Horak is an NHL lock.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:17 PM
GetThePuckOut

Damn Broissoit is a beast! I wonder if he's had any boxing training? He had great head movement dodging those punches and his uppercuts were nasty! I was really surprised by that.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:11 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
And a terrible mental game that could have impacts on his future career.
Whats this based on? He got cut and didn't let that get him down.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:42 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Whats this based on? He got cut and didn't let that get him down.
My two years of viewing him.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:43 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Right, so you can tell how he his weak mentally how?

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:46 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Right, so you can tell how he his weak mentally how?
Gets rattled after letting weak goals.
Lets in weak goals at consistent bases.
90% of goaler is mental game.

There is a lot of talent there, so I am not calling him a bad player. Just needs to improve on mental game to succeed.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:47 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
No offense but that doesn't tell you about his mental toughness at all and having seen him for 2 years as well I wouldn't say he is mentally weak. He does get down on himself when lets a bad goal I agree but he doesn't do it that often.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout

Quote:
No offense but that doesn't tell you about his mental toughness at all and having seen him for 2 years as well I wouldn't say he is mentally weak. He does get down on himself when lets a bad goal I agree but he doesn't do it that often.
I would say he is prone to letting in bad goals pretty often tbh. The kid has a lot of talent no doubt but I think S E P H's evaluation is relatively fair.

Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:38 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
I would say he is prone to letting in bad goals pretty often tbh. The kid has a lot of talent no doubt but I think S E P H's evaluation is relatively fair.
I have seen him 10-15 times in the last 2 years and the Memorial Cup, I can only remember 2 bad goals and he did look rather shaky afterwards but I would not say he is mentally weak must young goales look shaky after a bad goal. I could be wrong but I haven't seen much to say he is mentally weak.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:13 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
No it really isnt.

I wasnt a Brossoit fan two years ago, but he made me one last year. He didnt start off the year well but has picked up his game.

Any goalie who plays like he did during the playoffs (winning the mvp) is NOT mentally weak.

Mentally weak is Luongo flopping around on his belly, letting in soft goals and collapsing in the playoffs and playing like a skitterish cat in the Olympics.

You guys are too much sometimes.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:14 PM
GetThePuckOut

Goalies are a neurotic lot by nature. It's true that Brossoit can self-destruct at times, but that can also be said about many top starters in the NHL. A goalie with an unshakable mental game is a very rare thing.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:51 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No it really isnt.

I wasnt a Brossoit fan two years ago, but he made me one last year. He didnt start off the year well but has picked up his game.

Any goalie who plays like he did during the playoffs (winning the mvp) is NOT mentally weak.

Mentally weak is Luongo flopping around on his belly, letting in soft goals and collapsing in the playoffs and playing like a skitterish cat in the Olympics.

It's also easy to play in front of Gernat, Pysyk, Reinhart, Lowe, and Corbett.

Nobody has called him a bad goaler, I am just stating what his main weakness is and how it could impact his career.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:02 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
It's also easy to play in front of Gernat, Pysyk, Reinhart, Lowe, and Corbett.

Nobody has called him a bad goaler, I am just stating what his main weakness is and how it could impact his career.
Not so much when you are playing against Sven Bartschi and Ty Rattie. He was outstanding. That cant be overstated. You could have said that about him before that maybe, but not anymore. He has really grown in the last couple years. I think Ive seen him pulled once in the last two years. That doesnt sound like a goalie who is weak mentally.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:09 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
I have seen him 10-15 times in the last 2 years and the Memorial Cup, I can only remember 2 bad goals and he did look rather shaky afterwards but I would not say he is mentally weak must young goales look shaky after a bad goal. I could be wrong but I haven't seen much to say he is mentally weak.
Sam Consentino often mentionned that Team Canada questionned the mental aspect of his game as well. That's why they sent him to play the 2nd game in the Subway Super Series to see how he'd respond to a great performance. He had a tough start and TC saw what they feared for.

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:15 AM
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No it really isnt.

Maybe we have a different definition of mentally weak. When Brossoit is on his game he is fantastic. He will have games where he lets in a softie and has a rough night. You can say this is common in young goaltenders but this doesn't mean he is free from criticism from it. Elite goalies have the ability to shake off a bad goal, I question this about Brossoit.

Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:21 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Maybe we have a different definition of mentally weak. When Brossoit is on his game he is fantastic. He will have games where he lets in a softie and has a rough night. You can say this is common in young goaltenders but this doesn't mean he is free from criticism from it. Elite goalies have the ability to shake off a bad goal, I question this about Brossoit.
You can also call it inconsistency, which I personally consider it to be part of the mental game (for players and goalers).

Old
01-29-2013, 12:24 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Sam Consentino often mentionned that Team Canada questionned the mental aspect of his game as well. That's why they sent him to play the 2nd game in the Subway Super Series to see how he'd respond to a great performance. He had a tough start and TC saw what they feared for.
Judging by how their goalies and team performed I think it is safe to say their choices are questionable.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:50 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Right, because Subban and Binnington never let in bad goals. Hockey Canada put Kevin Prendergast in charge of the WJT. That says all you need to know about them.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:51 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Mentally weak means consistently folds under pressure.

Pretty hard to say that about a guy who was the WHL playoff MVP.