HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GAME 5: Jan. 28th | Avs @ Oilers | SNET-W | 7:30 MST

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Unless we're featuring Potter for a trade, I have no idea how starting him over Fistric can be justified at this point.
We're showcasing Potter and Whitney and piling up losses in the meantime.....

01-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Expect Landeskog to feast on our defense tonight unless Smid and Petry bring their A games.
This would be true regardless of who was in the lineup.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:35 PM
tv14

I keep waiting for Hall and RNH to break out. They have put up decent numbers so far, but have looked well below what we know they are capable of. Its clear that Eberle is the one driving the line (and team for that matter). Hoping this is the game, decent chance they could have a huge game as we are playing another young team that could be prone to mistakes.

5-3 Oilers.

Hall
Eberle (x2)
Gagner
Yakupov
3 assits for RNH.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Krueger!? Didn't he say the Oilers were going to be different and offer up a tougher response to teams running over us. Talk is cheap for these morons. Against LA, Eberle gets run by a goomba, Smid almost has to pay with a concussion to back him up and this management group just smiles and ignores it. And the only toughness we possess will sit in the stands and watch tonight. Some days Id just like to punch some of these idiots right in the face and ask them "well, how do you like it?" Because thats what they send these kids out to face every game. Keep your heads up kids, we refuse to protect you in any way shape or form. I don't understand it. I think its almost criminal. And I don't think there is another team in hockey that throws such a small talented group over the boards every night and does absolutely nothing to watch their backs.

rant lol again lol ongoing forever with this team lol
So what's the answer? Dressing useless scrubs like Hordichuk and Eager?

Old
01-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
I like that Paajarvi and Hartikainen are reunited and while some people might say that the Horcoff line is the 3rd line and that Petrell got "promoted" IMO Belanger got promoted and Horc/Smyth got demoted.
That's the way I see it as well. Smyth is a liability at even strength, and I doubt there will be much difference in 5x5 ice time at the end of the night as between these two lines. I expect Horcoff and Belanger will continue getting extra shifts due to faceoffs and special teams.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Smytty has the lowest TOI this game, and right now should be the healthy scratch when Jones is ready to come back.

Looking forward to seeing what Harski and Paajarvi can do playing with Belanger.

Quote:
That said WTF is the matter with Krueger playing Potter over Fistric? Hell over Peckham for that matter? We have zero team toughness tonight, none, zilch, nada. If there's a softer team than tonight's lineup you'd have to point it out to me, there are probably women's teams that have more balls than this group.
Potter isn't as soft as you're making him out to be. Having said this, it should be Whitney coming out, not Fistric. Potter skates better than Whitney at the moment.

Not giving up on Whitney, but the fact of the matter is with his injuries he may be in for a lengthy period of rehab before he gets his full mobility back (if he ever does).

Old
01-28-2013, 01:37 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Unless we're featuring Potter for a trade, I have no idea how starting him over Fistric can be justified at this point.
This is the only thing I can think of. We have to be showcasing him. Potter over Fistric makes no sense otherwise.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Hey, at least Hordichuk is out.

Old
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

I got it Kreuger! He's scratching Whitney and playing Fistric-Peckham as the ultimate bruise line!!! Because, obviously, you wouldn't actively play Corey Power Potter Play over an actual decent defenceman, right?

Potter and a prospect for Bishop. Please.

Let there be an honest reason for this happenstance.

Old
spot

On come on guys, potter is t exactly small! Plus we are playing against the avalanche. Not the old stars team with the hatcher boys, or heck even last years star team. These "kids" better learn how to keep there head up and make the opposition pay on the power play. Fistric or potter does not really make that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things. I would however like to substitute guys like Horcoff and smyth for a Prust type player or a ott type.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Who cares if he wants to get Potter in for Fistric for a game, they are #6 d-men. The problem with this team is constant penalties, defensive breakdowns, puck-watching, no 5 on 5 offense, and a whole bunch of guys who have done nothing offensively yet this season. Fistric, Potter, whatever. There are 10 things that are more important.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Seems like we're doing 1 good game and 1 not so good game. Tonight should be the good game.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:42 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Hordichuk is hilarious though. He always talks a lot before the game and says the right things, but then he does nothing in the game and usually something stupid.

The Oilers need to stop being so fancy and throw the puck into the other teams end and go get it. Huge weakness on this team. When the other team throws it in, the other team usually takes it and breaks out. We have a very hard time starting a cycle game and retrieving the puck.

Throw it into our end and I get scared every time that it will take a while to get the puck out. It's like nobody knows where the support players are. You watch the good teams and it's bang bang. D retrieves the puck and makes a very quick pass knowing where his teammate is already.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
So what's the answer? Dressing useless scrubs like Hordichuk and Eager?
Yes it is. Look around the league. Everybody does it. Except us. LA won the cup with a whole bunch of second tier big bodies that helped set the tone. And instead of ignoring the problem you start with an Eager and a Hordichuk and go from there. Spend some time scouting these kinds of players and upgrade them as you go. Getting bigger and tougher isn't the hardest thing in the world to do. But instead of talking about it every year it may actually help if you do something about it.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:43 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
i dont know who saw what happened in the flyers tampa game yesterday but it is exactly what we need on our bench, and i think Eager can be that guy. Basically schenn took a runa dn then went after Lecavlier. the next shift crombeen went right after giroux, face washed hinm mid play, tried to goad him into fighting, he dumped giroux on his dome a few times and ended up taking a penalty but the message was very clear, dont come at our stars.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Alex87

I would like to see a statement game tonight, with few penalties, production at evens, and at least one goal from our third or fourth line. Such an effort following the Calgary game would go a long way to assuring me that this team has the maturity to compete for the playoffs this year.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:44 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Who cares if he wants to get Potter in for Fistric for a game, they are #6 d-men. The problem with this team is constant penalties, defensive breakdowns, puck-watching, no 5 on 5 offense, and a whole bunch of guys who have done nothing offensively yet this season. Fistric, Potter, whatever. There are 10 things that are more important.
Fistric is even on the season. Potter is -3 in 2 games. Potter is a much worse option.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:46 PM
GatoradeG*

I just want to see a lead.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:48 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganORiellyFan View Post
This would be nice. We've got to get one at some point.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Fistric is even on the season. Potter is -3 in 2 games. Potter is a much worse option.
Well that 2 game sample says it all then.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:50 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganORiellyFan View Post
I agree this could build some confidence.

I would also like to see Hemsky and Yakupov switch sides. Hemsky can have the puck die on his stick on the left side and let Yakupov play his more familiar position. In fact why the hell don't we put the 3 vets together? Belanger is the only vet doing anything productive this year. Finally accepting his role and excelling!

Old
01-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
Hemsky, RNH, Gagner, Yakupov and Hall need to get it going.

Outside of garbage points and PP points, none of these guys has been any better than the other.

Eberle is the only offensive top 6 player that should be immune from criticism at this point.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:51 PM
#ualberta

Comments from coach K

@dantencer: Looks like Potter is back in for Fistric. Mark is skating with Theo Peckham in the drills.
@dantencer: Krueger says the decision to play Potter is to keep everyone in the mix, keep guys fresh with 4 games this week. Nothing against Fistric.
@JasonGregor: "We want to keep the players that are here active. Corey (Potter) coming back in is not a reflection of Mark's (Fistric) play." Kreuger
@JasonGregor: "Overall he's worked well. I'd like to see him create more on the 2nd PP. Defensively he's been better than last year." Kreuger on Whitney
@dantencer: Ralph Krueger says they'll look closely again at Khabibulin tomorrow and see if he's able to start backing up.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:52 PM
alphahelix

I think we're being a little rough on Hordichuk boys, when have we EVER given him a chance to get his legs under him and play some hockey? He's spent years now not playing hockey, but we expect him to have his crap together first shift out there? There is something to be said for earning ice time, but I think we should let him have a shift or two to figure it out.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, we really need another stabilizing presence on the D. When one guy is out of position, that is bad enough and can lead to quality scoring chances. When both guys are out of position, its absolute chaos and we will get ribbed all day long. This is what is happening. We wind up with 2 or 3 or 4 players out of position consistently. There has to be a veteran, stable, intelligent defender on every pairing, period. At least they can ATTEMPT to cover rookie mistakes, and should prevent continuous breakdowns from occurring on every single shift.

Bare minimum you must have at least 1 rock solid veteran (or 2-3 elite prodigies) on each forward line and each D pairing.

I have liked Potter, generally, but he should be with a vet. Potter - Nick Schultz would be a quality 3rd pairing IMHO.
Fistric - Whitney might be decent. Petry - Schultz - Smid ... We really need to make a trade and get a rock in here to stabilize things.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Hordichuk is hilarious though. He always talks a lot before the game and says the right things, but then he does nothing in the game and usually something stupid.

The Oilers need to stop being so fancy and throw the puck into the other teams end and go get it. Huge weakness on this team. When the other team throws it in, the other team usually takes it and breaks out. We have a very hard time starting a cycle game and retrieving the puck.

Throw it into our end and I get scared every time that it will take a while to get the puck out. It's like nobody knows where the support players are. You watch the good teams and it's bang bang. D retrieves the puck and makes a very quick pass knowing where his teammate is already.
It's tough to do a lot when you play a total of one minute and eleven seconds in the game. Even if Hordichuk buggers up on his first shift I think he should be given a chance to redeem himself in the game. I'd rather see him get a discussion on the bench and then a second chance. If he continues to suck, then sure bench him.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:53 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
This is the only thing I can think of. We have to be showcasing him. Potter over Fistric makes no sense otherwise.
It makes no sense to "showcase" Potter. Any team with half decent pro scouts will know that Potter has played horribly ever since November 2011. Nothing that he does tonight is going to change their opinion of him. He could have a good game and it would still only be one good game in a sea of garbage

Closed Thread