HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread IX: 'Try to make this one last longer than a day' Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Swarez

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Several people have said (include Bobby Mac in Team 690 for example) that other teams are not going to offer sheet him because they know it is a waste of time since the Habs will match anything offered.

I think it has to do more with that than anything else. Now if the Habs start shopping him, that might be a different story.
That's what I don't fully understand. If habs are willing to match a higher # or longer term, why not just up there offer a bit during these negotiations.

There are some teams I think wouldn't really care about perception, Philly, Boston and NYR all come to mind. if they think it will put them over the top why not make a move, especially if the Habs do match, he will get a lot of heat for letting it get this far as opposed to just giving PK a better offer all along.

I agree its doubtful, but Meehan has pull to, I don't think they have looked at trying to acquire offer sheets yet but I wouldn't say there is no chance. I've said it before somewhere here, people always forget the Free Agent part of RFA.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:33 PM
FlyingRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
I think he could go out look for a offer sheet too. Say he finds one at the 4 year 4-4.5 year range does Berg match considering how adament he is about not doing more than a 2 years at a low number.

Media would be all over him saying why not just do that in the first place, he would lose some credibility really early in his tenure if he matches.
For 4M to 4.5M, Bergevin matches before PK finishes signing his name.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by skule123 View Post
I believe we retain the cap the cap hit for this year, but have long deferred to your expertise on these such matters if my recollection is incorrect.
Ah yes, of course you are correct. Got carried away there.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
For 4M to 4.5M, Bergevin matches before PK finishes signing his name.
This seems to be the crux of the issue for me, 4-4.5mil gets matched in a sec, but you don't offer above (reportedly) 2.55mil?

Not a Habs fan, but trying to get a grip on this one.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
This seems to be the crux of the issue for me, 4-4.5mil gets matched in a sec, but you don't offer above (reportedly) 2.55mil?

Bergevin doesn't want to sign him to a contract worth 4+. An offersheet is a different story but why would a team attempt to sign Subban to an offersheet when they know it will be matched? Why piss off another GM and open yourself up for something in the future?

And as of right now PK seems to want to stay in Montreal, so maybe he's not out seeking an offersheet?

Old
01-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Bergevin doesn't want to sign him to a contract worth 4+. An offersheet is a different story but why would a team attempt to sign Subban to an offersheet when they know it will be matched? Why piss off another GM and open yourself up for something in the future?

And as of right now PK seems to want to stay in Montreal, so maybe he's not out seeking an offersheet?
So is there an understanding on this board that Bergevin might be playing hardball to the team's detriment?

To see Hedman and Carlson get paid, and then to offer Subban 2.55 seems ridiculous from a non-Hab fan's perspective (and big PK fan).

Old
01-28-2013, 01:39 PM
FlyingRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I'm not sure about the rules, but I think I read/heard somewhere that a RFA can't contact other teams looking for offer sheets, they can only receive them.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:40 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:

Maybe Bergevin's argument is that if no one offer sheets him for $4M, then there is no reason for him to go that high. He will match an offer, but until such an offer is made, there is no reason to offer such money.

As they say in The Wire: seniority sucks!

Realistically, Bergervin doesn't want to sign Subban too early because we would simply be too good for the league. For the health of the NHL, we have to control our utter dominance.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
I'm not sure about the rules, but I think I read/heard somewhere that a RFA can't contact other teams looking for offer sheets, they can only receive them.
Yeah it'll be interesting if we see PK hit up his old buddies at Sportsnet to start spreading the news that he's looking around.

What a frenzy that will become.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:

Dont even try.. there is no logic behind these move outside trying to break subban wich in itself should be enough for many to just want to be traded instead.

If we lose subbam over such a ridiculous reason and we dont get PREMIUM return i will lose lottts of respect for the organisation.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
That's what I don't fully understand. If habs are willing to match a higher # or longer term, why not just up there offer a bit during these negotiations.

There are some teams I think wouldn't really care about perception, Philly, Boston and NYR all come to mind. if they think it will put them over the top why not make a move, especially if the Habs do match, he will get a lot of heat for letting it get this far as opposed to just giving PK a better offer all along.

I agree its doubtful, but Meehan has pull to, I don't think they have looked at trying to acquire offer sheets yet but I wouldn't say there is no chance. I've said it before somewhere here, people always forget the Free Agent part of RFA.
Habs would match and either keep Subban or trade him once CBA requirements/delays are met. One way or another, the offering club gains nothing, they force the Habs to pay more for Subban, they can expect the same treatment when they sign an RFA, and there's still some stigma associated with offer sheets that might hinder deals in the future. Deep pockets of the Habs can cause another franchise more trouble than cash-strapped Nashville.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
no news?

Old
01-28-2013, 01:56 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Don't know why but I really expect Subban to sign today.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
no news?
Details will be known tonight. It's been reported as of Friday that there were no talks over the weekend and they'd meet again on Monday. Tonight, we know what went down.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
01-28-2013, 02:02 PM
HomaridII

Luc Gelinas ‏@LucGelinasRDS
Non. En partant, prendre 48 h pour analyser l'offre, c'est déjà une farce. RT @profts: As-tu des nouvelles de la réflexion de PK?

Old
01-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Mats NAslund

If Montreal is to trade Subban trade him to Colorado.

Ryan O'Reilly Height 6.00 -- Weight 205 -- Shoots L - Centre - 21 years old
Erik Johnson - Height 6.05 -- Weight 227 -- Shoots R - Def - 24 years old

for

PK Subban, Desharnais, Eller and 2nd

Old
01-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Luc Gelinas ‏@LucGelinasRDS
Non. En partant, prendre 48 h pour analyser l'offre, c'est déjà une farce. RT @profts: As-tu des nouvelles de la réflexion de PK?
Right. Talks were had on Friday, the 48 hours covers the weekend. Today, they met back and will discuss it further. I hope they come to an agreement, I don't think the Habs fans can take it for much longer. I fear eventually, this fanbase may turn on P.K..

Old
01-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Right. Talks were had on Friday, the 48 hours covers the weekend. Today, they met back and will discuss it further. I hope they come to an agreement, I don't think the Habs fans can take it for much longer. I fear eventually, this fanbase may turn on P.K..
I'm almost surprised given his popularity that fans aren't turning on Bergevin.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Well with Galchenyuk staying and making so much money this year I'm sure the PK situation is going to be resolved one way or another. I'm a little surprised that Galchenyuk got all that money when the easy move would have been to send him down...but obviously that didn't happen.

I can't see how they can pay him less than Galchenyuk on his entry level deal...as much as I believe in a hometown discount that would be difficult to swallow for PK. I think the habs are going to move him.
Galchenyuk is only making like 850k unless he makes bonuses...which are not easily attainable.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post

for

Are we getting Landeskog and Duchene or O'reilly and Johnson? That would be a horrible trade for the Habs. Just DD PK and Eller for those two is overpayment.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post

for

Of course, O'Reilly has his own contractual issues similar to that of PKs... and Johnson's ankle is hamburger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Eventually? I know he hasn't won himself any favors with me that's for sure.

We'll see if he can put his mouth where his wallet is, or if his will to cash in is stronger than his will to play with us, wait two years making a meager 2.5 millions a year, and then maybe becoming the best paid defenseman in the NHL. If he can make that amazing sacrifice and not disrupt the great locker room we have now when he comes back, they should give him Doughty money + in two years.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Craig71

Subban must not want to go the same route as his friend Carey Price did, take a bridge deal then sign for a longer term. He knows what he wants and seems to be willing to sit it out until he gets it. You either have to admire his guts or condemn his stupidity. He is a wonderful talent but I keep hearing about the locker room stuff(could be false) that makes me wonder just ho bad they want him back. If Kaberle is getting 4 million then I guess PK should be able to get 6million and maybe thats the way he looks at it. I realize we did'nt sign Kaberle to such a contract but we are paying for it so lets do the same for PK.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Galchenyuk is only making like 850k unless he makes bonuses...which are not easily attainable.
Curious to know what the bonuses are? Do you know by any chance?

Old
01-28-2013, 02:15 PM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Of course, O'Reilly has his own contractual issues similar to that of PKs... and Johnson's ankle is hamburger.
O'Reilly wants minimum 5m/year

Old
01-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Wasn't aware of Johnson's ankle but I love O'Reily

How about Landeskog and O'Reily for Subban Desharnais Eller and a 1st

I know wishful thinking....but If Montreal has to trade Subban then teams should overpay or no deal!

Closed Thread