HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you like to see Ullstrom on the first line?

View Poll Results: Should the Isles try Ullstrom on the first line?
Yes 34 38.64%
No 37 42.05%
Maybe 17 19.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-28-2013, 01:39 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Would you like to see Ullstrom on the first line?

It has been suggested by some, so I thought a poll would be a good start. I am evenly divided over it.

And yes I left an L out of his name.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:43 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
It has been suggested by some, so I thought a poll would be a good start. I am evenly divided over it.
Give it a try.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:46 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Why not? I do like Okposo, I just don't know if he's the best fit on that line. Moulson is a ghost and they need someone of the other side who can skate well and work hard along the boards. Ullstrom fits, not to mention he has confidence with the puck on his stick. I see this line being much, much more effective with Ullstrom instead of KO.

Moulson - Tavares - Ullstrom
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo

Reunite the Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo line for the time being, at least until Bailey comes back. If they have success keep them together. If not, play KO with Bailey and hope they can continue from where they left off last year.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:47 PM
bigd

Why, do you think the coach reads this forum for lineup recomendations?

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Renbarg

WHY? He's scoring on the third line. Why mess with success? If the second and third line are contributing anything at all that's a positive. You know JT will start scoring sooner or later (and he has). We need secondary scoring real bad, and thus far we have been getting it. Let's let it be.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Veteran journeyman

What happens to the productive third line then? I think there's other tweaks they could try with the top two lines before breaking up the line that's working exceptionally well right now as a back-to-the-basics unit.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
WHY? He's scoring on the third line. Why mess with success? If the second and third line are contributing anything at all that's a positive. You know JT will start scoring sooner or later (and he has). We need secondary scoring real bad, and thus far we have been getting it. Let's let it be.
Beat me to it by a couple of seconds

Old
01-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Isles Junkie

Sure, why the hell not. Kid has busted tail every shift and is getting some results. If our first line doesnt get it iin gear, then a change should be made.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Why not? I do like Okposo, I just don't know if he's the best fit on that line. Moulson is a ghost and they need someone of the other side who can skate well and work hard along the boards. Ullstrom fits, not to mention he has confidence with the puck on his stick. I see this line being much, much more effective with Ullstrom instead of KO.

Reunite the Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo line for the time being, at least until Bailey comes back. If they have success keep them together. If not, play KO with Bailey and hope they can continue from where they left off last year.
And bump Grabs to the third line? I think he looks better than anyone else on his line so far.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:12 PM
macleod50

Nope. Leave him where he is for now.

I'd rather see Bailey on the first line when he comes back and Okposo bumped down to the 2nd.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Sure, why the hell not. Kid has busted tail every shift and is getting some results. If our first line doesnt get it iin gear, then a change should be made.
I think they're somewhat in gear. JT has 7 points in 5 games, MM with 5 in 5, and KO with 3 in 5. They're not really stinking up the joint out there. If anything, I'd like to see Frans and Boyes pick it up a bit on the second line. I know their point totals are comparable to KO, but five of their combined six points came in the same game in Toronto.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:30 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
And bump Grabs to the third line? I think he looks better than anyone else on his line so far.
Not necessarily. I have a feeling Bailey is going to play center when he gets back. That'll bump Nielsen to 3C, Aucoin to 4C and Reasoner out of the lineup, where they all belong.

I would love to eventually see these lines tried:

Moulson - Tavares - Ullstrom/Nino
Nino/Ullstrom - Bailey - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Joensuu
Martin - Aucoin - McDonald

In that scenario I think every single line is improved. Send Cizikas back to Bridgeport and use two of Boyes/Reasoner/Boulton as healthy scratches. Maybe even all 3 if you can somehow move Finley to Bridgeport(although I think the Isles would rather keep around as many defensemen as they could). Grabner playing on the 3rd line isn't necessarily a bad thing, as proven by Aucoin to the point that people don't want to break his line up(you being one of them). If anything that should prove a hockey team can't rely on one or two lines, but all four. Look at NJD last year. One of their best lines was that 4th line with Bernier-Carter-Gionta. I think Aucoin and McDonald sliding down with Martin could give us that type of 4th line.

It's all about balance, and these moves would give us a lot more of it IMO while making every line more dangerous than they are right now.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Not necessarily. I have a feeling Bailey is going to play center when he gets back. That'll bump Nielsen to 3C, Aucoin to 4C and Reasoner out of the lineup, where they all belong.

I would love to eventually see these lines tried:

Moulson - Tavares - Ullstrom/Nino
Nino/Ullstrom - Bailey - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Joensuu
Martin - Aucoin - McDonald

In that scenario I think every single line is improved. Send Cizikas back to Bridgeport and use two of Boyes/Reasoner/Boulton as healthy scratches. Maybe even all 3 if you can somehow move Finley to Bridgeport(although I think the Isles would rather keep around as many defensemen as they could). Grabner playing on the 3rd line isn't necessarily a bad thing, as proven by Aucoin to the point that people don't want to break his line up(you being one of them). If anything that should prove a hockey team can't rely on one or two lines, but all four. Look at NJD last year. One of their best lines was that 4th line with Bernier-Carter-Gionta. I think Aucoin and McDonald sliding down with Martin could give us that type of 4th line.

It's all about balance, and these moves would give us a lot more of it IMO while making every line more dangerous than they are right now.
Interesting mix in those lines. Guess they'd have to bite the bullet and do something with Reasoner. But they could probably roll 4 consistently with that lineup.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:48 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
And here is why I am split over it as I agree with both of you. Certainly good play should be rewarded though. I am still split.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:53 PM
redbull
game on

Moulson Tavares Boyes
Grabner Nielsen Ullstrom
Bailey Aucoin Okposo
Martin Cizikas Joensuu

Ullstrom is not a 1st line guy but he's making a strong case for himself in the past week or two. I think with Nielsen and Grabs, they would be dangerous on both sides of the puck!

Tavares getting a bit screwed with Boyes, but there's nobody else better suited right now. May as well give it a shot. They will produce no matter what.

Love the idea of that third line. All three players are pretty responsible defensively and all have offensive ability. It might work very well.

Fourth line can play minutes and not look horrible.

The defense still scares the crap out of me though and not doing the fwds any favours. Of course, it might be different if Visnovsky, Martinek, healthy Hamonic, maybe deHaan or Donovan if they'd cracked the lineup, if Hickey emerges?

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:20 PM
BillD

Ullstrom is a fine prospect, and he may in fact be a better fit for the first line than we have on our present roster. But do not confuse that with him being a first line player. I have always been very high on him since the WJC's, but I truly believe he will be a very steady, solid third liner with possible 2nd line upside.
If he is forced into a role that he can't perform up to, many will sour on him and them want to get rid of him.
Garth needs to do what a GM does...go out and find/sign a legitimate 1st line wing for Tavares.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Ullstrom is a fine prospect, and he may in fact be a better fit for the first line than we have on our present roster. But do not confuse that with him being a first line player. I have always been very high on him since the WJC's, but I truly believe he will be a very steady, solid third liner with possible 2nd line upside.
If he is forced into a role that he can't perform up to, many will sour on him and them want to get rid of him.
Garth needs to do what a GM does...go out and find/sign a legitimate 1st line wing for Tavares.
1st or 2nd line, really doesn't matter. Ullstrom's been one of our most impressive forwards so far, and deserves more minutes. Playing with Tavares and Moulson makes sense. It just so happens Tavares plays on the 1st line.

BTW, Moulson probably isn't a 1st liner on most teams, yet he produces like a 1st liner playing with Tavares. I wouldn't be surprised if Ullstrom does the same.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:34 PM
leaponover

Quote:
100x this. To get scoring from a third line is a huge win in Isles Country. It's been non existent for decades now. DON'T TOUCH IT! The first line will put up points and Ullstrom's boost to the 3rd line right now is necessary. With Grabner showing a return to form (yes it's early) we could actually have three lines with scoring threat!!! (WHoa!)

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:37 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
100x this. To get scoring from a third line is a huge win in Isles Country. It's been non existent for decades now. DON'T TOUCH IT! The first line will put up points and Ullstrom's boost to the 3rd line right now is necessary. With Grabner showing a return to form (yes it's early) we could actually have three lines with scoring threat!!! (WHoa!)
Fine can he please play more than 10 minutes a night? Watching Frans Nielson and Brad Boyes on the PP while Ullstrom is a spectator is madness.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:53 PM
CDirt

I voted no. To small a sample size thus far and too early to place that much pressure on him.

Would like to see Martin on the first line for a spell or two. Think Tavares needs the protection and Martin doesn't fear crashing the net. Okposo is probably more comfortable in 2nd.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:18 PM
luki here

Quote:

i would be guessing that when bailey comes back okposo is bumped from the top 6 (unless they really want a rh shot on jt's wing).

I voted no, give ullstrom a chance on the 2nd line before you move him to the first one.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:35 PM
StrongIslanders90

The size,energy, and skill is what he brings that wouldwork on the top line with Johnny IMO....Not for the long term but for now or this year I wouldnt mind...

But I dont see them breaking up that 3rd line but I guess when Bailey gets back they will have too

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:39 PM
startainfection

no, i like the scoring threat that the third line currently brings a lot

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:01 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
no, i like the scoring threat that the third line currently brings a lot
Agreed, we're also talking about doubling Ullstrom's minutes and going against the other teams best matchups. If Okposo/Moulson got injured and he filled in like Martin or if they wanted him to grab an extra shift then sure but no way right now.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:05 AM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
No. Why mess with success? Especially when we never seem to have much success...

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote