HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks vs Canucks pt 2

Old
01-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
Irwin has been great in the role he has been given. He is playing out of his mind for a true rookie getting near 20 minutes a night alongside Dan Boyle.

Demers and Braun both made much worse mistakes when they first came up.

Irwin's mistakes haven't been horrible defensive position. They have been due to needing to make a little quicker decision than he is used to. He has played 5 NHL games and looks like he belongs more than plenty of other Sharks Dmen I have seen over the years. That alone is enough to give the kid some serious consideration.

Either way, what a great problem to have. Demers and Burns both coming back, and the Sharks defense has only given up 3 even strength goals. Great start, but a long way to go!

Wedontneedroads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:39 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I can only think of the give away against the canucks that actually lead to a scoring chance. but if you have other examples...
No specific examples, my memory isn't that good. I just know he's had a few mental gaffes per game, and he definitely wasn't the one to bail himself out.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Linkster
LTIR'ed off

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
This interview jamie baker did on the post-game show with vlasic is a must-listen:

http://chirb.it/fxKNnt
Great interview, Baker definitely better than his usual "Talk about..." style.

Also, cool thing SJ Sharks are doing with radio pre-game/post-game podcasts at Chirbit.

Edit: plus, radio replay of the Clowe and Murray fights. Rusanowsky will never be a fight broadcaster, but pretty energetic in the call(s).

Linkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:41 PM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
This interview jamie baker did on the post-game show with vlasic is a must-listen:

http://chirb.it/fxKNnt
Holy crap, they actually post the player interview? Thanks for the tip!

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

I may have missed this earlier in the thread but is Boyle OK?

Tkachuk4MVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
I may have missed this earlier in the thread but is Boyle OK?
nope, not looking good. he has a bleeding problem that just won't stop. doctors don't know how long he can survive.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:50 PM
sjshrky27

dont know if this was already posted, but good pic IMO

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:54 PM
SFtoBoston
Left-Heart-In-SF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post

Awesome-sauce.

SFtoBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Zues has played well so far. Gomez has looked good but I think he needs to keep his head on a swivel because he has been hit real hard a few times now. It seems both CO and VAN targeted him a bit. Clowey was so pissed leaving the ice after ejection - it was hilarious!

209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post

DAMN! Much better than my amateur photography skills. Its too dark from my seats to get my pics brighter. I love this pic!

209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
nope, not looking good. he has a bleeding problem that just won't stop. doctors don't know how long he can survive.

Is there a joke I'm missing here? Boyle sat out most of the 3rd period last night did he not? I assumed it was precautionary or just to get him some rest.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:05 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Is there a joke I'm missing here? Boyle sat out most of the 3rd period last night did he not? I assumed it was precautionary or just to get him some rest.
According to McLellan, he had a bloody nose that wouldn't stop bleeding.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:06 PM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209 View Post
DAMN! Much better than my amateur photography skills. Its too dark from my seats to get my pics brighter. I love this pic!
Just to clarify, I did not take the photo. It's on the CSN Sharks page.

I bet its one of those $2 grand digital cameras that the press uses

Last edited by sjshrky27: 01-28-2013 at 01:14 PM.
sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Mattb124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedontneedroads View Post
Irwin has been great in the role he has been given. He is playing out of his mind for a true rookie getting near 20 minutes a night alongside Dan Boyle.

Demers and Braun both made much worse mistakes when they first came up.

Irwin's mistakes haven't been horrible defensive position. They have been due to needing to make a little quicker decision than he is used to. He has played 5 NHL games and looks like he belongs more than plenty of other Sharks Dmen I have seen over the years. That alone is enough to give the kid some serious consideration.

Either way, what a great problem to have. Demers and Burns both coming back, and the Sharks defense has only given up 3 even strength goals. Great start, but a long way to go!
Agreed. Irwin has definately exceeded expectation and I am sure he will be a Shark's regular in years to come. I worry about a rookie slump for him given the increased frequency of games (especially with the compressed season). It will be interesting to see how things are handled when Demers comes back. Demers and Braun both made their mistakes as rookies, but both are (or should be) past that point of their development and IMO would prove more reliable. On the flip side the coaching staff may not want to change the chemistry, and Irwin may make one of Demers or Braun available for trade. Regardless, an embarrassment of riches.

Edit: I am particularly intersted to see Demers play given the monster year he was reported to have had in Europe.

Last edited by Mattb124: 01-28-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
According to McLellan, he had a bloody nose that wouldn't stop bleeding.

Hah! Well then my apologies Barrie, that was a good joke.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Wedontneedroads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
Agreed. Irwin has definately exceeded expectation and I am sure he will be a Shark's regular in years to come. I worry about a rookie slump for him given the increased frequency of games (especially with the compressed season). It will be interesting to see how things are handled when Demers comes back. Demers and Braun both made their mistakes as rookies, but both are (or should be) past that point of their development and IMO would prove more reliable. On the flip side the coaching staff may not want to change the chemistry, and Irwin may make one of Demers or Braun available for trade. Regardless, an embarrassment of riches.

Edit: I am particularly intersted to see Demers play given the monster year he was reported to have had in Europe.
Honestly I cannot remember the last time I looked at the Sharks defense and thought one of our better players was expendable.

I too want to see if Demers' offensive outbreak translates back to the NHL. Most of the time it's a matter of confidence, so hopefully that bolstered his.

It's funny because last year the big debate was who can/should we trade Braun or Demers? Now we can trade both!

Old
01-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Alaskanice

Dealing from a position of power. It's a grand problem to have. Maybe DW won't know what to do?? He can't fleece anyone this way.

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:36 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
I think Irwin had a rough game by his standards last night. He got bailed out twice by the post IIRC. But still, he's a kid playing big minutes. You can't help but be impressed.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Solmors

Boyle, Burns, Irwin, Demers, Braun, Stewart, Vlassic, Murray. Thats crazy deep defense.

Boyle - Irwin
Vlasic - Burns
Stuart - Demers/Braun

Murray's contract is up at the end of the year, maybe trade him at the deadline for a bottom 6 forward or a pick?

Last edited by Solmors: 01-28-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Solmors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:46 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solmors View Post
Boyle, Burns, Irwin, Demers, Braun, Stewart, Vlassic, Murray. Thats crazy deep defense.

Boyle - Irwin
Vlassic - Burns
Stewart - Demers/Braun

Murray's contract is up at the end of the year, maybe trade him at the deadline for a bottom 6 forward or a pick?
Holy crap man, it's Vlasic and Stuart.

Regardless, I think Irwin sits when Burns comes back. But between Demers, Irwin, and Braun, I don't think I care which is playing or not, as long as Murray is one of the scratches.

Also, I think the Petrecki situation is interesting. He has to pass through waivers, but when everyone's healthy, he's #9 on the depth chart. I'd prefer not to see him pass through waivers, since we've seen that a team like Long Island (Hickey) will take a chance on a former first rounder. I'm optimistically reading into that that Murray will be traded.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Alaskanice

Jux,
I couldn't agree with you more. I really wouldn't miss the big hits from the Swede. Stuart is looking to take up the mantle.

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Solmors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Holy crap man, it's Vlasic and Stuart.

Regardless, I think Irwin sits when Burns comes back. But between Demers, Irwin, and Braun, I don't think I care which is playing or not, as long as Murray is of the scratches.

Also, I think the Petrecki situation is interesting. He has to pass through waivers, but when everyone's healthy, he's #9 on the depth chart. I'd prefer not to see him pass through waivers, since we've seen that a team like Long Island (Hickey) will take a chance on a former first rounder. I'm optimistically reading into that that Murray will be traded.
Hahaha, spelling is not my strong point. I typed and didn't see a red line so I thought it was fine.

Solmors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:00 PM
hockeyball

Yah but they need to give Petrecki a shot before they go trading Murray. If Petrecki can play at an NHL level than losing Murray isn't too big a deal. Petrecki is a big hitter and tough too, not as tough as Murray of course (who is?) but good enough. It's not like we have a passive Blue line anyway, Boyle is insane for a little man, Burns is huge, and Stuart is pretty tough too.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Wedontneedroads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I think Irwin had a rough game by his standards last night. He got bailed out twice by the post IIRC. But still, he's a kid playing big minutes. You can't help but be impressed.
He definitely had a sub par game, but he is playing almost 20 min a night alongside Dan Boyle. Pretty incredible for his 5th NHL start.

At least it wasn't as bad as Braun's first game vs Detroit. Never gonna forget Datsyuk completely undressing him for that goal.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209 View Post
Higher ISO, Faster shutter speed. Voila!

Sharkway Drive is offline   Reply With Quote