HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks 2, Red Wings 1 (OT) - PK (Not Subban) Rules Edition

Old
01-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Sevanston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Kruger is double or nothin' on the dot. Looks great for a few draws and then he looks like a dman with somebody else's stick for a few.
The variance on Kruger's FO% is pretty funny.

Dallas - 57.14%
Columbus - 0%
Detroit - 57.14%
St. Louis - 45.45%
Phoenix - 62.50%
Los Angeles - 30.77%

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:38 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher42 View Post
I have seen him bust his ass to get back and bust up plays. His defense is his strength right now. His play is exactly what this team needed.

Toews' avg PK time is down about a minute from last year.

Oh, his points are down because he is playing 4th line instead of 2nd/3rd like last year.
Thereís no question that Kruger is weak on his skates and gets outmuscled regularly but I much prefer the role he has now as a 4th liner who in tandem with Frolik has been effective at killing penalties. As we all know, his face off performance needs to improve. Losing draws in our own end has been rampant on the PK especially - is going to bite us badly if it keeps up.

OT, but Bolland is pretty bad at the dot as well Ö. Toews needs to be giving these guys a clinic at every practice. After Toews, it needs to get much better.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:44 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

Dallas - 57.14%
Columbus - 0%
Detroit - 57.14%
St. Louis - 45.45%
Phoenix - 62.50%
Los Angeles - 30.77%

Again. Stats donít tell the whole story. We were losing draw after draw in our own end on the PK, most of them cleanly. (Kruger as well as Bolland)

Old
01-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Again. Stats don’t tell the whole story. We were losing draw after draw in our own end on the PK, most of them cleanly. (Kruger as well as Bolland)
I wasn't even trying to make a point about Kruger's faceoffs except that the variance is amusing.

But for the record

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...61+62+64+65+66

Kruger has won 25 faceoffs in his own end and lost 20. That puts him at 55.5% in his own end at even strength.

You're right about the PK though.

Won 8, lost 16. That's 33.3%

Old
01-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
I wasn't even trying to make a point about Kruger's faceoffs except that the variance is amusing.

But for the record

Kruger has won 25 faceoffs in his own end and lost 20. That puts him at 55.5% in his own end.
People see what they want to see; watching hockey is like anything in life in the fact that biases always alter and affect what one is watching.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
People see what they want to see; watching hockey is like anything in life in the fact that biases always alter and affect what one is watching.
You should probably check my edit and see if you want to stick by this statement.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
You should probably check my edit and see if you want to stick by this statement.
Not really. My statement still stands (more so about other things).

That is a pretty brutal effort by anyone not named Toews though. One of this team's weaknesses the last couple years has been in the dot. At least they have the talent on the PK to recover from these lost draws, but it is something they definitely need to shore up.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:07 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:

Dallas - 57.14%
Columbus - 0%
Detroit - 57.14%
St. Louis - 45.45%
Phoenix - 62.50%
Los Angeles - 30.77%
Not really. It's called small sample size. There is a lot of noise and variance in a sample of one single game.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:59 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
That is a pretty brutal effort by anyone not named Toews though. One of this team's weaknesses the last couple years has been in the dot. At least they have the talent on the PK to recover from these lost draws, but it is something they definitely need to shore up.
While I'm usually among the first to bash Bolland for being in a unique group of regular centers that can't improve significantly in faceoffs (and number lost cleanly) over the course of their first 5 years in the league, I will say some of the losses are on the team depending on what the wings are doing and what their assignments are.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:39 AM
BobbyJet

/\ Quite true. In fact many face-off wins are dependant on a team effort with each player executing correctly, and Hawks arenít great at that Ö. But it is the number of clean losses in our end, on the PK, that is alarming. The aggressive PK that we witnessed against Wings worked out nicely but that success will be short lived if we donít buck that trend in our end.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:45 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
We would need to bring someone in from the outside to solve the faceoff issues.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
I saw him clearly lose the draw to Z which resulted in us running around in the D zone, the Kruger weakly attempting to clear the zone from above the circle-fail, ending with him holding Z's stick to start the 2nd period parade to the box.

His one point came on an uncontested pass to Frolik.

He is faster than last year and does get in passing lanes, I'll give him that.

Give me specifics of his improvement.

If he could learn to win draws, he could be a very effective PKer for a long time in this league, that's his upside max.
Marauder, as usual, continuing to harp on the one thing Kruger needs to work on, while ignoring everything else. Kruger has been excellent defensively. EXCELLENT. For you to refuse to acknowledge this and instead continue to harp on his FO% and the fact that he falls down, simply shows what an incredibly biased poster you are.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Hawkaholic

Kruger has improved quite a bit defensively, but hasn't done much improving in any other area of his game. Not sure why everyone is in love with him. He's a solid depth C, but isn't leaps and bounds better than he was last year.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:30 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Kruger has improved quite a bit defensively, but hasn't done much improving in any other area of his game. Not sure why everyone is in love with him. He's a solid depth C, but isn't leaps and bounds better than he was last year.
He's looked stronger on the puck, not getting pushed around as much.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:53 PM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Quote:
Probably because he is finally in a role that suits him. Kruger's game still has holes, but his current skill set and the amount of heart he plays with are certainly assets in the bottom six.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Since he is being relied on mainly for his defence in his current role, I would say him improving "quite a bit" in that area is a pretty good reason to praise him so far. Aside from his defensive play, he has continued to show more flashes of offensive skill and looks stronger and faster than last year.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:24 PM
coldsteelonice84

The most analyzed player on the team plays one of the simplest games.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:54 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Kruger is doing fine in his role, and I have been impressed with his play away from the puck...

I doubt he ever reaches a top 6 offensive player, but this team is set in the top 6 now and for the foreseable future, so what Kruger is doing is fine with me... His faceoff % blows chunks, but I imagine come trade deadline we will be able to snag that vet center who is solid on the faceoff...

maybe Marty Reasoner will get moved to fill that spot...though I am not looking at what his faceoff % is this year, he has been very solid throughout his career and would be a nice 13th forward who spot fills in on faceoffs and 4th line duty if Kruger doesnt improve at the dot.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Chelios

I actually think an ideal pickup would be to get an older guy who is good at the dot, but bring him in to play wing on Kruger's line. Have him take the defensive zone draws, then switch back with Kruger.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Compared to last season, Kruger's ice time is down, his face-off % is worse, his offensive stats project to be less...

I am certainly a believer, that Kruger is a smaller, weaker, slower, less offensive player and cheaper version of Frolik.

We NEED another C.

great timing to bash him when he was voted as one of the 3 stars of the game without recording a point and the goalscorers not in the Top3

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:34 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Good game by the hawks. Stalberg has been the one player that I have noticed who seems to have a lot better vision of the ice. Looks so much more active and always is using his speed at the right time, getting stronger on the boards and his stick is usually in the right place. It's nice to see everyone so improved thus far. I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hope they can keep this kind of play going. Not saying they go 48-0, unrealistic obviously, but I think they are very capable of getting at least 34 wins.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post

great timing to bash him when he was voted as one of the 3 stars of the game without recording a point and the goalscorers not in the Top3

I could not care less about the single game sample size.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
Since he is being relied on mainly for his defence in his current role, I would say him improving "quite a bit" in that area is a pretty good reason to praise him so far. Aside from his defensive play, he has continued to show more flashes of offensive skill and looks stronger and faster than last year.
Are those offensive flashes leading to his one shot per game average or his one assist in 6 games? Actually it's zero points in the last 5, while being minus.

His offense is so weak that any play over the center red line is considered a flash of offense.

For strength, try this drinking game, a shot of Jagermeister everytime you see Kruger sent to the ice. By the end of the game you won't even know the score of the game.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:02 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post

Dude, stars of the game DON'T MEAN ANYTHING!!

So tired of people here using them to try to prove something or getting bent out of shape when a guy isn't named. It's nothing more than a publicity stunt. It was started off as an advertisement for Christ sake. The media votes on them 10 minutes before the game is over anyways, and leaves a spot open if the game is close.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:15 PM
coldsteelonice84

I've seen many times where a guest of the team did it and sometimes they have had a unique twist on it like a good defensive performance.