HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena deal agreed to by city and Katz group:mod warning #616

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 09:50 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayFrosy View Post
Ok, silly me.

But then what's with all this celebrating over the approval of the new arena? I thought everything was finalized, but obviously it isn't.
Because the deal between Katz and the City needed to be finalized first. It will be done now, its just a matter of how they work the money from the province. Probably MSI funding, which comes from the province but I think is given to the city to do what they want with in terms of upgrades and whatnot.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
oilers FANS deserve

1 a new arena
2 a better owner katz is a d*ck

Old
01-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Chooch

Old
01-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Beerfish

We all know where that $100 million is coming from. We've known this since day one, nothing has changed. The province will give the city their usual 100 million or so infrastrucutre money they get each year for proejcts and the city is going to use that for the arena, thus screwing the citizens out of a years worth of infra for other things.....but no tax money is being used and the deal is all good for everyone.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
oilers FANS deserve

1 a new arena
3 A competent GM.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:07 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Ok, silly me.

But then what's with all this celebrating over the approval of the new arena? I thought everything was finalized, but obviously it isn't.
The money is there, but has yet to be officially allocated from the infrastructure money already committed to the city.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Ok, forgive me. I'm not trying to troll here or start fights.

But my parents are saying they heard on Global News EDM an hour so ago that the new arena still might not be happening.

They're saying they heard a city counselor saying that $100,000,000 are still missing and the province isn't going to pay it. Something like that.

Yes, my parents very well may have misunderstood and be complete retards. But I'm posting this here because I'm confused and I thought I'd inform everyone just in case. I have no citations... I'm looking for further information.

And yep, if I'm wrong, you have my permission to insult my parents.
Not sure if you or your parents are on crack, or if you've been living under a rock. But it's not news regarding the 100 million shortfall, but obviously no one would have done and signed off on this deal if they didn't think the extra money would be looked after. The deal is done, no matter what you're parents tell you or how misinformed you've manage to keep yourself. In other news, Osama Bin Ladin is dead.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:22 PM
HallOfGreatness4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
3 A competent GM.

And a better team

Old
01-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964

Old
01-27-2013, 08:32 PM
StayFrosty

Yeah I admit I haven't paid good attention to the arena situation. I didn't care for the politics of it and instead just listened in for the major announcements.

And the reason I went so "derp" in my OP is because I thought I'd be seen as a troll for saying that the arena is still up in the air.

But I'm glad to hear that it will be happening.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post

Old
01-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
We all know where that $100 million is coming from. We've known this since day one, nothing has changed. The province will give the city their usual 100 million or so infrastrucutre money they get each year for proejcts and the city is going to use that for the arena, thus screwing the citizens out of a years worth of infra for other things.....but no tax money is being used and the deal is all good for everyone.
I love how Sohi was saying: "But we have to educate the public that nobodies taxes are going up as a result of the arena"

Yeah, read the fine print. City gets overextended for another .6billion dollars fronting this arena, but this is just one particular pie. Your 2013, and 2014 etc tax increases will be due to these other spending pies..honest...

What a shellgame. No tax increases people, just shake that special no interest loans tree again. Shake it real hard, this expenditure is huge and growing.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Not sure if you or your parents are on crack, or if you've been living under a rock. But it's not news regarding the 100 million shortfall, but obviously no one would have done and signed off on this deal if they didn't think the extra money would be looked after. The deal is done, no matter what you're parents tell you or how misinformed you've manage to keep yourself. In other news, Osama Bin Ladin is dead.
Well that wasn't very nice..

Old
01-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Isn't there already an arena thread?

Old
01-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
oilers FANS deserve

1 a new arena
Grow up buddy.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:03 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I love how Sohi was saying: "But we have to educate the public that nobodies taxes are going up as a result of the arena"

Yeah, read the fine print. City gets overextended for another .6billion dollars fronting this arena, but this is just one particular pie. Your 2013, and 2014 etc tax increases will be due to these other spending pies..honest...

What a shellgame. No tax increases people, just shake that special no interest loans tree again. Shake it real hard, this expenditure is huge and growing.
You have written this exact same thing at least a hundred times throughout different arena threads. Why continue? Everybody gets that you're against the arena funding, but quit repeating the same thing over and over....

Old
01-28-2013, 01:20 PM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█¯█¯██¯█★█¯██¯█¯█╲

vCash: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
My grammar sucks, but I think it's "your" not you're.

BE NICE NOW!

Old
01-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
You have written this exact same thing at least a hundred times throughout different arena threads. Why continue? Everybody gets that you're against the arena funding, but quit repeating the same thing over and over....
Good point.

But I don't know that I write it more times than Krushell and Sohi state it. Sohi was just stating it again last week.

ps how many people "correct the internet"

How much sense does any of this online behavior make? I thought the internet would make me rich, rich, rich beyond my beliefs...

Wheres the hits and money, I want my bling, bling me the bling. Maybe I'll build a backyard rink..

Old
01-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
He also thought that the ticket tax was a new thing created just to (in his words) "allegedy" help pay for $125 million of the arena costs. That is, until i pointed out that there had been a ticket tax going to the owner(s) of the Oilers since Peter Pocklington.

Do you think he acknowledged it when i pointed it out? I'll give you one guess...

Old
01-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
He also thought that the ticket tax was a new thing created just to (in his words) "allegedy" help pay for $125 million of the arena costs. That is, until i pointed out that there had been a ticket tax going to the owner(s) of the Oilers since Peter Pocklington.

Do you think he acknowledged it when i pointed it out? I'll give you one guess...
Are you still on about this?

Do you note the DEGREE of ticket tax involved?

The new tax is designed to recover 125M in front outlay on this project. Just servicing debt on that is going to take 4-5M/yr. Actually having it pay off any principal is going to take a surcharge levy of about 7-8M/yr. Which is over 10% of current gate. This assuming sold out games and people willing to pay the piper in an expected downturn economy.

The current tax is negligible and built in. Its less than even the ticketmaster charges. The new ticket surcharge will be 10 or more bucks. On top of already higher priced tickets.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Are you still on about this?

Do you note the DEGREE of ticket tax involved?

The new tax is designed to recover 125M in front outlay on this project. Just servicing debt on that is going to take 4-5M/yr. Actually having it pay off any principal is going to take a surcharge levy of about 7-8M/yr. Which is over 10% of current gate. This assuming sold out games and people willing to pay the piper in an expected downturn economy.

The current tax is negligible and built in. Its less than even the ticketmaster charges. The new ticket surcharge will be 10 or more bucks. On top of already higher priced tickets.
I heard that it won't exceed 7%. -Shrugs-. Oh well, as it won't be much more than it already is and has been for about the past 20 years or so (percentage wise). The EIG group were getting 4 million a year from it, so take from that what you will.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414279

Quote:
Another $125 million will come from a ticket tax that wouldn't exceed seven per cent of the total cost of a ducat.
Holy crow! Not exceeding 7%...what a DEGREE of a ticket tax!

Old
01-28-2013, 02:29 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
I heard that it won't exceed 7%. -Shrugs-. Oh well, as it won't be much more than it already is and has been for about the past 20 years or so (percentage wise). The EIG group were getting 4 million a year from it, so take from that what you will.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414279

Holy crow! Not exceeding 7%...what a DEGREE of a ticket tax!
Even if its only 7%, thats being quoted per ducat price. Which means the tax could be the ticket surcharge could be anywhere from around 7bucks to say 25bucks on more expensive seating. I won't even touch what the tax could be on loge seating.

Heres another rub. Oilers are never keen on hitting up seasons ticket holders with much in the way of increases as they dont' want to bite the hand that feeds them. What does this hold for game day buyers. Will they be paying MORE of the surcharge?

Beyond your grandstanding lets also realize that this ticket tax will be about 4times as much as the current tax. You keep trying to make it sound like its the same.

Last edited by Replacement: 01-28-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Marincin28

Part of the problem is that the Province is going to have to cut spending and/or increase taxes in the next budget. How do the sell $100m for an arena in that environment? Still think the arena happens but the funding will take some sorting out.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Even if its only 7%, thats being quoted per ducat price. Which means the tax could be the ticket surcharge could be anywhere from around 7bucks to say 25bucks on more expensive seating. I won't even touch what the tax could be on loge seating.

Heres another rub. Oilers are never keen on hitting up seasons ticket holders with much in the way of increases as they dont' want to bite the hand that feeds them. What does this hold for game day buyers. Will they be paying MORE of the surcharge?

Beyond your grandstanding lets also realize that this ticket tax will be about 4times as much as the current tax. You keep trying to make it sound like its the same.
4 times as much as the current ticket tax huh? You forgot the "IMO" again Replacement - unless you have some proof to back up your "grandstanding". You really expect Katz to go from 4 million generated per year from the ticket tax to over 16 million in 9 years?

The ticket tax is already at roughly 7% per ducat and has been for a while -

http://www.cbj.ca/business_news/cana...ton_arena.html

Quote:
The report comes from Simon Farbrother, Manager of the City of Edmonton, saying Edmonton Oilers' owner Daryl Katz, pharmaceutical mogul, is "resistant" to continue with a roughly seven per cent tax on tickets to cover a portion of the new facility construction costs, as proposed through written support to Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel.
- This above quote is old of course, and now we know that it's being contributed towards the costs of the arena to the tune of $125 million.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:09 PM
CopperBlue2794

Quote:
Originally Posted by gret99zky View Post
we landed on the moon!!!

Closed Thread