HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR] Rangers sign Jason Arnott (1 year, $1.7M) (Off ,, Failed physical)

Old
01-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Kloparren
Hth

vCash: 500
These remaining FA's are useless.

Their only option is to get someone playing in Europe similar to how the Leafs got Komarov for their bottom 6 which they likely won't be able to do now because any good player like that is under contract or make a trade.

How hard is it to trade for a bottom 6 centree sheesh you have the assets and you're planning to go on a cup run so do it now rather than waiting for the friggin trade deadline. Frankly I'm surprised Sather sat on his butt about his forward depth situation while Prust/Mitchell/Anisimov/Dubinsky all left.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:00 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
These remaining FA's are useless.

Their only option is to get someone playing in Europe similar to how the Leafs got Komarov for their bottom 6 which they likely won't be able to do now because any good player like that is under contract or make a trade.

How hard is it to trade for a bottom 6 centree sheesh you have the assets and you're planning to go on a cup run so do it now rather than waiting for the friggin trade deadline. Frankly I'm surprised Sather sat on his butt about his forward depth situation while Prust/Mitchell/Anisimov/Dubinsky all left.
Dubinsky and Anisimov were traded for Nash.

The Rangers wanted Prust back but were unwilling to go as high as Montreal (2.5 x 4).

Mitchell is a decent 4th line center who is very streaky. The Rangers were able to save ~500k by signing Halpern who is a better face-off guy and can PK. He has actually looked good.

The main issue is that Stepan, Callahan and Hagelin have started off slowly and Kreider is out with an injury. Makes the Rangers depth look bad when in reality it is fine, just need everyone to play better.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:07 PM
cwgatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
Don't count your chickens before they hatch, but there are rumblings in New York about a certain "great" player who is considering a 1-year comeback with the rags.

Where did these "rumblings" occur?

cwgatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:08 PM
cwgatti

How about the guy who is designing dresses downtown? I know Dolan has been to see him recently...

Old
01-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
Don't count your chickens before they hatch, but there are rumblings in New York about a certain "great" player who is considering a 1-year comeback with the rags.
Link?

Quote:
I remember when guys like Prospal, Fedetenko, and Stralman were declared useless.

And frankly, I'm surprised some people here actually believe Sather let Dubinsky and AA walk. Trading someone doesn't mean they were let go. Prust wasn't worth 2.5M. Mitchell was replaced by Halpern. Mitchell's the only guy they could have realistically brought back, but I'd rather have Halpern.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:16 PM
cwgatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Sather would have never offered Arnott a deal if Torts wasn't on board. The two discuss things in detail about players on the team, and around the league. Arnott isn't a Ranger because he isn't physically fit to play the game right now. On any team in the league, I might add.

Kudos for calling this, but it's a shame that you wanted a player you admittingly didn't watch last season.

Your next prediction should be Malkin to NYR. Let's put your skills to good use.
I can tell you for a FACT, that Torts was not pleased with Sather re-claiming Avery in '09. That was Sather forcing Avery on Torts, but Torts' tenure was so short at that time he had to take him. Dolan loved Avery, and insisted Sather claim him. Torts made Avery's life a living hell as a Ranger, and there was serious friction between Sather and Torts over Sean. When the NYR went on that amazing run last year, Sather had to give Torts his way and let him run Avery out of the NHL. With Torts and the NYR slow start, I think Sather signed Arnott, and after the win it bought Torts a little time by saying Arnott failed the physical.

So, while Sather may have run it buy Torts, that decision was Sather's to sign Arnott. A 5-2 win gave Torts a few more days to iron this out.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:19 PM
cwgatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Link?

I remember when guys like Prospal, Fedetenko, and Stralman were declared useless.

And frankly, I'm surprised some people here actually believe Sather let Dubinsky and AA walk. Trading someone doesn't mean they were let go. Prust wasn't worth 2.5M. Mitchell was replaced by Halpern. Mitchell's the only guy they could have realistically brought back, but I'd rather have Halpern.
Couldn't agree more. I also think Mitchell had a lot to do with Hagelin getting off to a great start on Broadway. Hags hasn't been so brilliant since he was switched off of Mitchell's line. Lots of speed, negated some icings, but he hasn't been so great.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:20 PM
cwgatti

Prust was great, but he will never survive to fulfill that 4 yr. deal with Montreal. It's too hard to play like that, fight 30+ times, and still be healthy.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Dubinsky and Anisimov were traded for Nash.

The Rangers wanted Prust back but were unwilling to go as high as Montreal (2.5 x 4).

Mitchell is a decent 4th line center who is very streaky. The Rangers were able to save ~500k by signing Halpern who is a better face-off guy and can PK. He has actually looked good.

The main issue is that Stepan, Callahan and Hagelin have started off slowly and Kreider is out with an injury. Makes the Rangers depth look bad when in reality it is fine, just need everyone to play better.
Yeah I know they were traded or couldn't be retained which is fine but then you still have to fill the gap if you plan on competing for the cup. They can of course wait for some players to get going and Kreider to get healthy but then you have another injury and maybe a slump and the cycle continues.

Really this year they have to push hard for a cup and move some future assets not just to bring in stop gaps but a really good bottom 6 player and 3rd pairing dman.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:22 PM
NYR Viper

Boyle made Mitchell and Hagelin's offense last year. They were both brought up around the same time and flanked Boyle. Brian was able to cover up defensively while they adjusted their games and they both put up points and thrived from there on out.

Mitchell is a good 4th liner and he really accepted his role last year but he was asking for too much.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:24 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Yeah I know they were traded or couldn't be retained which is fine but then you still have to fill the gap if you plan on competing for the cup. They can of course wait for some players to get going and Kreider to get healthy but then you have another injury and maybe a slump and the cycle continues.

Really this year they have to push hard for a cup and move some future assets not just to bring in stop gaps but a really good bottom 6 player and 3rd pairing dman.
I don't disagree with the 3rd pairing d-man part but the Rangers pretty much replaced Prust, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Fedotenko and Mitchell with Nash, Pyatt, Kreider, Asham and Halpern.

They could use another depth forward but overall I think they have improved on paper.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:38 PM
caley

Just a little update on Arnott

Per Darren Dreger on the NHL Network. Arnott was medically cleared by a doctor to play but the NY Rangers doctor didn't like the looks of Arnott's knee. Arnott, himself, insists that he is fine and ready to play. Dreger said it is possible another team's doctor will look at him and agree with Arnott. He said there are several teams still interested in Arnott and he fully expects him to play in the NHL again this season.