HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#05 | New York Islanders vs. Winnipeg Jets | Jan 27 | 8:00PM | OT/L 4-5

Old
01-28-2013, 12:30 PM
goal1228

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=redbull;58525181]I
Tavares has never had that level of talent around him, which is a shame because he makes those around him so much better that it creates the illusion that "Tavares has good linemates". Yes, they are a dominant first line, compared to the OTHER LINES on the team.

I would almost like to see how Bailey plays with the Tavares and Moulson line (on the off wing) when hes healthy. He would be the type of puck distributor needed for that line imo. Tavares never gets set up in good position to score and its forcing him into bad shots.

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:00 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
I would almost like to see how Bailey plays with the Tavares and Moulson line (on the off wing) when hes healthy. He would be the type of puck distributor needed for that line imo. Tavares never gets set up in good position to score and its forcing him into bad shots.
I think Bailey would be awesome on that line. But I don't think Cappy does stuff like that, like "try something new"

At least he didn't in the last two years.

This year, he has been double-shifting JT more, he played a shift with Martin, Boyes and Grabner yesterday, but they were more like half-shifts.

I don't like Boyes with Nielsen-Grabs.

But Bailey would be a perfect winger for JT. I also always liked Bailey-KO together, though they have played together very rarely.

The Isles have lacked talent for SUCH A LONG TIME that I don't even remember if Bailey EVER had decent wingers or linemates. Comeau? He's completely awful in CAL, who's also an awful team.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:11 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Looked good. Smart player, very smooth skater, good passer. He's a very small defense an though and he will struggle for minutes but he can probably be a 5-6 dman in the NHL as he gets more experience. He was very poised in his first game, played with confidence.

I don't blame him for the OT goal, Hickey pinched on the rush and the Jets scored on the rush. It was the right play. Aucoin tried the pass and it failed, good play by Hainsey.

It was a smart waiver pick-up, that's for sure.
I think he has more upside than that. I think he can be a top 4 guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Anyone have Terry Murray's #?? Ill even settle with Paul Maurice at this point. Just give me someone who has experience in coaching and taking there teams to the playoffs.
Terry Murray would have this team playing a lock-down, suffocating defensive style that would make them competitive most nights, but he's terrible at developing young player's offensive game.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:16 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I think he has more upside than that. I think he can be a top 4 guy.

Terry Murray would have this team playing a lock-down, suffocating defensive style that would make them competitive most nights, but he's terrible at developing young player's offensive game.
hey. we all have upside. I'm still trying to make the NHL (decades after my draft year).

He's played ONE GAME and he played okay. I wouldn't be so quick to set unrealistic expectations. It's possible, sure. But it was also possible with a lot of small defensemen that are not named Rafalski or Enstrom. The NHL is a really tough league for a small defenseman these days. Top four minutes especially.

With that said, Mike Kostka and Dion Phaneuf have played over 30min each, twice this young season. They also lead the NHL in the WORST +/-, for what it's worth.

I like Hickey, his mobility and I love his offensive instincts, his skating ability and he seems to have good judgement on the ice, in the 12 minutes he played. I don't think it was a bad play to jump in on the rush in OT either.

But I'm not expecting him to be a top four dman on a winning team. I'd be happy with a better Jack Hillen, and I don't mean that as a slight in any way.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:20 PM
OlTimeHockey

[QUOTE=goal1228;58529209]
Quote:
I
Tavares has never had that level of talent around him, which is a shame because he makes those around him so much better that it creates the illusion that "Tavares has good linemates". Yes, they are a dominant first line, compared to the OTHER LINES on the team.

Wouldn't it be a nightmare if Bailey did his typical pass it back when Tavares sends him a nice dish? Bailey afraid to shoot again would be a disgrace if he went on that line.

But worth a try. This whole season is about throwing ***** on the wall to see what sticks (our organizational plan, FWIW).

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:31 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
But worth a try. This whole season is about throwing ***** on the wall to see what sticks (our organizational plan, FWIW).
I'd say the last five years.

Arguably, the last 20, but let's call it an even "5" !

Old
01-29-2013, 01:49 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
hey. we all have upside. I'm still trying to make the NHL (decades after my draft year).

He's played ONE GAME and he played okay. I wouldn't be so quick to set unrealistic expectations. It's possible, sure. But it was also possible with a lot of small defensemen that are not named Rafalski or Enstrom. The NHL is a really tough league for a small defenseman these days. Top four minutes especially.

With that said, Mike Kostka and Dion Phaneuf have played over 30min each, twice this young season. They also lead the NHL in the WORST +/-, for what it's worth.

I like Hickey, his mobility and I love his offensive instincts, his skating ability and he seems to have good judgement on the ice, in the 12 minutes he played. I don't think it was a bad play to jump in on the rush in OT either.

But I'm not expecting him to be a top four dman on a winning team. I'd be happy with a better Jack Hillen, and I don't mean that as a slight in any way.
Who's setting unrealistic expectations? I said "think he can," not "he will," or "expect him to."

Maybe you've only seen him play 1 game, but I've seen him play dozens. I think I have a pretty good grasp of what his potential upside is.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler

Still says Hamonic is a game time decision.... has anyone heard if hes confirmed to play? or will he miss the game?

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote