HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread IX: 'Try to make this one last longer than a day' Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 03:17 PM
  #951
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I'm almost surprised given his popularity that fans aren't turning on Bergevin.
If the Habs were struggling out of the gate that would probably have happened by now.. With the Habs winning and Markov looking great it takes the heat off Bergevin from the fans IMO.. The team is winning and everyone's happy.. Just wait until the Habs lose 3 or 4 in a row and with PK still not signed.. Things will surely pick up big time then.

sheed36 is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:17 PM
  #952
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 13,464
vCash: 691
Anyone turning on PK is out of their mind. How can you say with a straight face he should only be paid 2.5 million, what a joke.

Of course I want PK on the ice and playing, this team is a lot better with him but this is his livelihood and he's being treated like a second class citizen with these offers.

Habsawce is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:18 PM
  #953
Mats NAslund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,166
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Subban must not want to go the same route as his friend Carey Price did, take a bridge deal then sign for a longer term. He knows what he wants and seems to be willing to sit it out until he gets it. You either have to admire his guts or condemn his stupidity. He is a wonderful talent but I keep hearing about the locker room stuff(could be false) that makes me wonder just ho bad they want him back. If Kaberle is getting 4 million then I guess PK should be able to get 6million and maybe thats the way he looks at it. I realize we did'nt sign Kaberle to such a contract but we are paying for it so lets do the same for PK.
based on that logic Montreal should have given Pacioretty 10 million...Gomez was making 7.3....

Mats NAslund is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:19 PM
  #954
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
O'Reilly wants minimum 5m/year
Crazy. A guy with ONE really productive season.


As for PK, I think he will finally agree to a two-year contract (maybe 3) IF the price is right - 3,5 + per season.

Habtchum* is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:19 PM
  #955
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Wasn't aware of Johnson's ankle but I love O'Reily


How about Landeskog and O'Reily for Subban Desharnais Eller and a 1st

I know wishful thinking....but If Montreal has to trade Subban then teams should overpay or no deal!
They SHOULD overpay. And I wouldn't take a package for him. One on one, and what we get is better in our view. It's that, or he signs, or he rots.

Phil Parent is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:20 PM
  #956
Gobias Industries
Registered User
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Wasn't aware of Johnson's ankle but I love O'Reily


How about Landeskog and O'Reily for Subban Desharnais Eller and a 1st

I know wishful thinking....but If Montreal has to trade Subban then teams should overpay or no deal!
You don't name a 19 year old your captain and trade him in the same year, Landeskog is completely off the table.

Gobias Industries is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:20 PM
  #957
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Anyone turning on PK is out of their mind. How can you say with a straight face he should only be paid 2.5 million, what a joke.

Of course I want PK on the ice and playing, this team is a lot better with him but this is his livelihood and he's being treated like a second class citizen with these offers.
He should be paid 2,5 IF everyone else in his category (age and experience + stats) would be paid the same.

Every team is different. Some are overpaying big time.

Habtchum* is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:21 PM
  #958
Gobias Industries
Registered User
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Crazy. A guy with ONE really productive season.


As for PK, I think he will finally agree to a two-year contract (maybe 3) IF the price is right - 3,5 + per season.
If I'm Subban I'm not signing any bridge contract under 4.25, and that's not unreasonable given comparables IMO.

Gobias Industries is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:22 PM
  #959
Mats NAslund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,166
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Anyone turning on PK is out of their mind. How can you say with a straight face he should only be paid 2.5 million, what a joke.

Of course I want PK on the ice and playing, this team is a lot better with him but this is his livelihood and he's being treated like a second class citizen with these offers.
That's bogus man......
Why does he deserve more then what MaxPac and Price got in their RFA seasons?
Price was better at his postion then most of his established collegues let alone those of the same age and he agreed to a bridge contract.

Subban should sign a two year deal....In my opinion Subban deserves about 3 mil per on a two year contract. If he wants a longer deal then he should sacrafice long term money for it.


20 mil over 5 years...Those would be my options to Subban

Mats NAslund is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:22 PM
  #960
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I'm almost surprised given his popularity that fans aren't turning on Bergevin.
We are sharpening our pitchforks and dusting off the torches. It's just that the hard evidence is lacking so far. It *sounds like* the Habs are engaged in some kind of evil low-ball attempt to drive Subban out of town... but... well, we all loved the thought of Bergevin so much coming as it did in the aftermath of the Gauthier hatefest... we probably ought to wait until the evidence is a bit more solid before we head out the door. Just to be sure.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:23 PM
  #961
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pominville, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,897
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
If I'm Subban I'm not signing any bridge contract under 4.25, and that's not unreasonable given comparables IMO.
Price's bridge contract was 2 years @ 2.75M$, 5.5M$ total.

Price had accomplished more than PK when he got it.

Alexdaman is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:25 PM
  #962
Mats NAslund
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,166
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
If I'm Subban I'm not signing any bridge contract under 4.25, and that's not unreasonable given comparables IMO.
Where are these comparables?
because I see guys like Pietrangelo making 3.1 a year and Del Zotto making 2.25. You mean to tell me Subban today is a million better then Pietrangelo?

3 million a year on a bridge contract is the fair thing here.
Let hiom prove himself and he willhit a massive payday in two years!

Mats NAslund is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:26 PM
  #963
Gobias Industries
Registered User
 
Gobias Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Where are these comparables?
because I see guys like Pietrangelo making 3.1 a year and Del Zotto making 2.25. You mean to tell me Subban today is a million better then Pietrangelo?

3 million a year on a bridge contract is the fair thing here.
Let hiom prove himself and he willhit a massive payday in two years!
Hedman and Carlson?

Both got 4 mil, Hedman for 5 years, Carlson for 6.

So, if you're going to bridge, I'd be looking for 4.25 or better.

I like using RFA as a long term value proposition while understanding the hatred around death of the second contract, but we've seen teams use it effectively before and given Subban's pedigree, that's what I'd be looking to do.

Gobias Industries is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:26 PM
  #964
EveryDay
Registered User
 
EveryDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,715
vCash: 500
Come on PK Sign the DEAL!!!!!!!!

EveryDay is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:29 PM
  #965
Habskrieg
Registered User
 
Habskrieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 3,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Price's bridge contract was 2 years @ 2.75M$, 5.5M$ total.

Price had accomplished more than PK when he got it.
LOL

When Price got that contract, it was right after our playoff push that led us to the conference finals. Halak played most of the season and the playoffs. And it was fairly obvious why. Halak was just playing way better than Price. Once playoffs were over, we traded away Halak. We oculd have easily picked to stick with Halak and deal Price. But we put our faith and went all in on our current goaltender. Price was in now way in any position to negotiate his contract after all of that.

Price's situation is very different to PK's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
That's bogus man......
Why does he deserve more then what MaxPac and Price got in their RFA seasons?
Price was better at his postion then most of his established collegues let alone those of the same age and he agreed to a bridge contract.

Subban should sign a two year deal....In my opinion Subban deserves about 3 mil per on a two year contract. If he wants a longer deal then he should sacrafice long term money for it.


20 mil over 5 years...Those would be my options to Subban
First season he came, he was mediocre and was sent to Hamilton. While Patches didn't prove much that time, he was also being stuck on 3rd line. He was quickly sent down though.
Then, Pacthes had one good half season until he got injured by Chara. He signs his bridge contract. While he was being promising. He did only play half a season. And suffered a rather serious injury. He was in no position to ask much. Then, the past summer, he signs his very deserved extension.

Very different to PK.


Last edited by Habskrieg: 01-28-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Habskrieg is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:31 PM
  #966
Montreal Typical
Registered User
 
Montreal Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Moreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Why does he deserve more then what MaxPac and Price got in their RFA seasons?
Price was better at his postion then most of his established collegues let alone those of the same age and he agreed to a bridge contract.
Price lost his number one job to Halak during his ELC. Pacioretty had a pretty good half NHL season (though he was not as good at his position as Subban is at his) in the last year of his ELC, but he spent a quarter of the season in the AHL and sustained a major injury which left a big question mark on his future as a hockey player.

The situations are completely different.

Montreal Typical is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:37 PM
  #967
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Price's bridge contract was 2 years @ 2.75M$, 5.5M$ total.

Price had accomplished more than PK when he got it.
On the contrary.

Price was coming off a year where he ended the season on the bench with Halak starting.

Subban was eating #1 minutes last year, put up strong stats and still was a +9 despite a lot of tough matchups 5 on 5.

Monctonscout is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:37 PM
  #968
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pominville, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,897
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
LOL

When Price got that contract, it was right after our playoff push that led us to the conference finals. Halak played most of the season and the playoffs. And it was fairly obvious why. Halak was just playing way better than Price. Once playoffs were over, we traded away Halak. We oculd have easily picked to stick with Halak and deal Price. But we put our faith and went all in on our current goaltender. Price was in now way in any position to negotiate his contract after all of that.

Price's situation is very different to PK's.
By trading Halak, Price was then the number1 goalie. PK's just off playing 23-24mins game average in a team that finished 15th. I would give PK 3M$ a year for 2 years. Taking that the league's cap will be lowered and that he will be getting 3M$ next year with no contract adjustments I think it's a fair deal.

Price showed that he had great potential although the playoffs were harsher on him, but the fact of the matter is that PK shows just about the same amount of potential. Yes he had a good ( not incredible ) season last year, I just don't see where him being much better off than Price and him getting a 4M$ plus contract. Especially since in a little more than a year from now he will be signing a much more lucrative and long-term contract.

Alexdaman is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:42 PM
  #969
haburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
He should be paid 2,5 IF everyone else in his category (age and experience + stats) would be paid the same.

Every team is different. Some are overpaying big time.
and thats where the problem is.2.5 mil is under value for other d men in the same category.hedman-4 mil per.carlson-4 mil per.myers 5.5 per.how pk doesnt fit in at the 4 mil range is beyond me.

haburger is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.