HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ownership Cluster**** Thread: NHL and GJ, Put Up or Shut Up!

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 02:10 AM
awfulwaffle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The lease is only renewed via guaranteed money to pay for losses. That won't be happening this year. The NHL has an out every single season built into the lease. Hard to imagine them not invoking it when they've got possibly 2 bidders wanting to pay over sticker for a franchise.

It is what it is.

Without an extension or closing, it's a done deal they are gone. The players are not stupid. Every single one will be worried about their families. The team will implode.
I meant not relocating midseason, as in we are going to have these final games, and if we don't make the playoffs, we know our last home game.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:49 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

The only mildly positive thing I can think of is that the media has been eerily quiet about GJ and there have so far been no reports from any inside sources that the Jamison deal has imploded YET. Again that could all change in the next day or two but considering Glendale is in the dark about the status of the sale has only meant good things historically, since I'm sure Bettman and Daly have learned by now that whenever they inform Glendale of the status of the sale, the 1st thing the city does is blab to the media, which allows Goldwater or Ken Jones or any other idiot to attempt to throw a wrench into everything.

Additionally the Coyotes have had the heaviest amount of marketing I've seen around the Valley, since the team played in Phoenix, because I've heard countless advertisements during primetime radio on stations such as 100.7 and the Coyotes have been airing commercials during primetime television on major local Arizona television stations. I know I'm reading tea leaves here but I truly believe Jamison is behind the marketing campaign and i doubt the NHL would organize a large scale marketing campaign if they expected the sale backfire. Also most media outlets reported that Jamison has already acquired the financing to purchase the team including Mike Sunnucks, who several weeks ago reported the financing was not secured after probably reading the BOH. Once he printed his story several reputable media sources called him out for not having any sources close to the Jamison group and he almost immediately printed a new story claiming Jamison had secured the financing. Jamison and LeBlanc were also at several games and scrimmages, which could be a positive sign.

I truly believe that if the sale falls through at the last minute, which is still extremely possible, it will be because his investors got cold feet at the last minute. Perhaps the investors are waiting as long as possible to see early attendance attendance figures before committing to purchasing the teaam. Again I'm reading tea leaves here but if the sale falls through I think it will be because the investors backed out at the last minute, since they were not confident with early season attendance figures. Obviously we won't know until the 31st. But I would say it's about 50/50 at this point in my opinion.

Last edited by CC96: 01-28-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old
01-28-2013, 07:23 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Coyote 96 View Post

Additionally the Coyotes have had the heaviest amount of marketing I've seen around the Valley, since the team played in Phoenix, because I've heard countless advertisements during primetime radio on stations such as 100.7 and the Coyotes have been airing commercials during primetime television on major local Arizona television stations. I know I'm reading tea leaves here but I truly believe Jamison is behind the marketing campaign and i doubt the NHL would organize a large scale marketing campaign if they expected the sale backfire. Also most media outlets reported that Jamison has already acquired the financing to purchase the team including Mike Sunnucks, who several weeks ago reported the financing was not secured after probably reading the BOH. Once he printed his story several reputable media sources called him out for not having any sources close to the Jamison group and he almost immediately printed a new story claiming Jamison had secured the financing. Jamison and LeBlanc were also at several games and scrimmages, which could be a positive sign.
That's what I've noticed too. more advertising than I have ever seen before. It started right around playoffs (when they made the announcement about Jamison) and then this year it's just everywhere - newspaper, TV, and the billboards along the freeways.

It could be just like the lockout - until the last minute comes, people will hold out for a better deal. Then when it comes to 'take it now or say bye-bye' it gets done.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:43 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I mean why would GJ & ALeB attend games et al if this was in the realm of possibility to not be competed by thru. Now here is my question: what exactly has to take place prior to thur for the lease to execute? The city manager has signed it, it's awaiting a sale. But does the sale have to formally close? Do funds transfer? If the funds sit in escrow (b/c it can take a day or two for escrow to transfer out) is that good enough?

Old
01-28-2013, 09:22 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Coyote 96 View Post
The only mildly positive thing I can think of is that the media has been eerily quiet about GJ and there have so far been no reports from any inside sources that the Jamison deal has imploded YET. Again that could all change in the next day or two but considering Glendale is in the dark about the status of the sale has only meant good things historically, since I'm sure Bettman and Daly have learned by now that whenever they inform Glendale of the status of the sale, the 1st thing the city does is blab to the media, which allows Goldwater or Ken Jones or any other idiot to attempt to throw a wrench into everything.

I truly believe that if the sale falls through at the last minute, which is still extremely possible, it will be because his investors got cold feet at the last minute. Perhaps the investors are waiting as long as possible to see early attendance attendance figures before committing to purchasing the teaam. Again I'm reading tea leaves here but if the sale falls through I think it will be because the investors backed out at the last minute, since they were not confident with early season attendance figures. Obviously we won't know until the 31st. But I would say it's about 50/50 at this point in my opinion.
Oh the one thing I would dread the most in all this is the 'investors' are looking at the early attendance figures before they sign on the final dotted line. I'd tell them 'you're not buying this to make a profit off 2013 ticket sales. You're not going to see 13,500 at a Monday night Nashville game or 17,000 at a Saturday night Kings game'. Not this season; maybe in April, definitely if it's the playoffs, but no way in January.

The market is big enough to grow attendance, and coupled with the AMF and revenue sharing, they'll be given enough cushion to build this opportunity into a successful NHL franchise - successful to ownership on and off ice.

But the months-long lockout dissipated most if not all the residual exuberance the playoff run generated, the on ice results have been dreadful, and no one knows if the team will be here after this season, and the attendance is expected to be substantially better right now? Well, nobody sent that memo! There was no 'Drive to 13,000'. Maybe if the Commish & GJ had come out last May and said 'for this deal to close we need a drive to 13,000' - the deal would have already closed, or the team would have already been sold to out-of-staters for relo. But there was no memo, no suggestion that when games restarted the arena might need to be full or else the sale might fall through.

If in fact the investors are eyeing the early attendance as some tipping point, then I don't know how someone with that belief could think this sale closing has a 50-50 chance; imo someone with that belief would have to peg the chance of this sale closing at well under 50-50.

I don't know if that's the holdup; some money man/men putting the brakes on saying 'whoa I want to see the attendance numbers for the home games through the Oilers game before I agree to this!'...but I hope not.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Including full sponsorships and a desirable location, the Coyotes either made a slight profit or had a slight loss with the following attendance figures during the first few years.

96-97-15585
97-98-15404
98-99-15547
99-00-14991
00-01-14224

I have no idea about the ticket prices or how much revenue they actually brought in from businesses but the average to shoot for is 15150 in Phoenix. With their lease deal and the opportunity to be in the Valley's face with a favorable TV deal, I think the Coyotes could average 14000 in Glendale.

During that period in Phoenix, only a handful of games had attendance figures under 12000. Its clear that location plays a huge factor in getting out their on time but it is what it is now and we must have reasonable expectations for weekday games. Hopefully it gets done soon because I think its reasonable to attain these goals.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Thursday marks deadline for Coyotes deal

Quote:
Team spokesman Rich Nairn says Coyotes executives expect the sale will be completed by this week's deadline.
http://www.kswt.com/story/20719983/t...r-coyotes-deal

Old
01-28-2013, 12:42 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

expect, hope, anticipate, believe...I feel like the thesaurus at the Coyotes office have had a lot of use over the past 6 months.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:44 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Update http://t.co/1LVjFq0p

Old
01-28-2013, 02:02 PM
doaner

Yay! Maybe he told the team to suck this year and get him the #1 pick!

Old
01-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
Quote:
Prospective Phoenix Coyotes owner Greg Jamison told The Arizona Republic on Monday that he expects to complete his purchase of the team on Wednesday or Thursday this week, just ahead of a crucial deadline associated with Jobing.com Arena in Glendale.

(Special note to Seattle and Canadian hockey fans who were hoping to snare a vagabond Coyotes franchise: Insert your curses in either English or French here.)
Thats about as bold as I have heard from him.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Thats about as bold as I have heard from him.
Just came here to post this. This is the most positive news we've had in awhile.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:21 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Jamison has been so circumspect the whole time that perhaps him being willing to go out on a limb means something is actually happening.

Hope...believe...plan...etc.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Pens fan coming in peace.

Unlike FLA (the second dumbest idea Bettman ever had, right after giving ATL a second team), your team has shown some consistent fan support the last few years. I've never been a big supporter of non-traditional markets for their own sake, but I hope this works out for you guys and more importantly that Jamison turns things around and makes the Coyotes a healthy franchise / keeps them competitive. There's a lot to like about your coach and many of your players... just need to get financially healthy, fill the roster out a bit and put butts in the seats every year. Good luck!

Old
01-28-2013, 02:37 PM
MIG

Quote:
There are a lot of moving parts. Its very difficult to explain how many moving parts there are to put it all together. Rather than constantly going into that with people people are a little tired of hearing that I think they would just prefer to have an announcement, one way or the other, at an appropriate time,
"one way or the other" doesn't give me a very good feeling.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:40 PM
MIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I've never been a big supporter of non-traditional markets
This is what the original six said in 1967.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG View Post
That's the way I read it. Would have been nice that if Jamison actually did say he expects to close, as the author suggests, that they actually put that quote in there. All I see is him saying that "one way or another" there will be an announcement by the 31st. Unless I'm missing something?

Old
01-28-2013, 02:50 PM
MIG

"one way or the other" the sale will be complete
"one way or the other" the teams fate will be sealed
"one way or the other" the fans will know something
"one way or the other" Phoenix will hit 100 deg
"one way or the other" Bissonnettes not gonna score
"one way or the other" someone will win American Idol
"one way or the other" in four years we get a new President
"one way or the other" the climate will change

Old
01-28-2013, 02:55 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
Make it happen Jamison!!

Old
01-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

New thread title ideas time

Ownership Cluster**** Thread: One way or another

Old
01-28-2013, 03:06 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG View Post
I was thinking the same thing..

Old
01-28-2013, 03:14 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

It should come as surprise to no one that this situation will literally come down to a last second announcement. I would caution against reading too much into anything that is said, or not said, before Thursday.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:25 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Haha. Oh, man. There WILL be an announcement, huh?

Friday, February 1st 2013:

"We'd like to announce we are working closely with the City of Glendale in an effort to agree to a reasonable extension of the existing terms of the lease agreement. We feel we are in the final stages of consummating a sale of the team, and we are hopeful that the City will understand that we just need a few more weeks to finalize this process."

--Greg Jamison

Then, ten days later the council announces they have entered into negotiations with Jamison on a new lease agreement in an effort to agree on terms they are more comfortable with, given that the old terms were negotiated with the old council.

Then, we have absolute silence for months.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Quote:
Jamison vowed that he’ll meet the deadline. “There’s a lot happening. We’re moving forward. There will be an announcement before the end of the week,” Jamison said Monday morning.
I think people are just reading into the "one way or the other" quote.

Quote:
if you say that you will do something or that something will happen one way or the other, you are determined to do it or that it will happen, although you do not know exactly how One way or the other, I'm going to finish this job next week.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/...y+or+the+other

Heck it could be completely possible that the BOG votes no. It could be a possibility that we win the cup this year. It could be a possibility that we are granted permission to play on roller skates...

Old
01-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

Continue here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9#post58539739

Closed Thread