HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

G Laurent Brossoit (2011, 164th OA CGY; traded to EDM)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-15-2012, 02:08 AM
  #51
F l a m e s
#winitforgio
 
F l a m e s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,830
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Quite well actually, we got Horak in that deal (amongst others).

Calgary has been quietly building up their prospect pool over the last 2-3 years.
Horak, Wortherspoon and Granlund.

You're absolutely right.

Baertschi, Janko, Sieloff, Wortherspoon, Gaudreau, Brossoit, Gillies, and Granlund all in two drafts!


Last edited by F l a m e s: 01-28-2013 at 12:05 PM.
F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:58 AM
  #52
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker
 
superhakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,644
vCash: 500
Brossoit has really rebounded from his slow start. 2nd in the league in GAA and 3rd in SV% not to mention he can chuck 'em pretty good for a goalie:

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocen...1325&id=196604

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:07 PM
  #53
F l a m e s
#winitforgio
 
F l a m e s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moose Jaw
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,830
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
Brossoit has really rebounded from his slow start. 2nd in the league in GAA and 3rd in SV% not to mention he can chuck 'em pretty good for a goalie:

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocen...1325&id=196604
Brossoit has had a great season, but has been LIGHTS OUT since team Canada evaluation camp.

Big, athletic goaltender, with promising upside. Hopefully we see him with the Heat next season!

F l a m e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:40 PM
  #54
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Brossoit has had a great season, but has been LIGHTS OUT since team Canada evaluation camp.

Big, athletic goaltender, with promising upside. Hopefully we see him with the Heat next season!
And a terrible mental game that could have impacts on his future career.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:03 PM
  #55
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
I feel like the biggest problem is that age gap group. Flames have good roster players around 30 and above. They have some nice prospects that I think will be NHL'ers, Arnold, Reinhart, Baertschi, Nemisz, Bouma, etc. Leach, Wotherspoon, Ramage on D.

What they seem to be missing is that age gap of 22-27, I think that's sort of what they plan to use the college FA signings for.
Ummmm... Leach is no longer Flames property. He wasn't resigned. Feaster also strongly hinted Ramage isn't in the future plans. The organization is very high on Gaudreau and Horak is an NHL lock.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:17 PM
  #56
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,412
vCash: 50
Damn Broissoit is a beast! I wonder if he's had any boxing training? He had great head movement dodging those punches and his uppercuts were nasty! I was really surprised by that.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:11 PM
  #57
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
And a terrible mental game that could have impacts on his future career.
Whats this based on? He got cut and didn't let that get him down.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:42 PM
  #58
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Whats this based on? He got cut and didn't let that get him down.
My two years of viewing him.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:43 PM
  #59
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,914
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
My two years of viewing him.
Right, so you can tell how he his weak mentally how?

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:46 PM
  #60
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Right, so you can tell how he his weak mentally how?
Gets rattled after letting weak goals.
Lets in weak goals at consistent bases.
90% of goaler is mental game.

There is a lot of talent there, so I am not calling him a bad player. Just needs to improve on mental game to succeed.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:47 PM
  #61
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
My two years of viewing him.
No offense but that doesn't tell you about his mental toughness at all and having seen him for 2 years as well I wouldn't say he is mentally weak. He does get down on himself when lets a bad goal I agree but he doesn't do it that often.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:23 PM
  #62
Kid Dynamite
5 14 6 1
 
Kid Dynamite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Downtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 903
vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
No offense but that doesn't tell you about his mental toughness at all and having seen him for 2 years as well I wouldn't say he is mentally weak. He does get down on himself when lets a bad goal I agree but he doesn't do it that often.
I would say he is prone to letting in bad goals pretty often tbh. The kid has a lot of talent no doubt but I think S E P H's evaluation is relatively fair.

Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:38 PM
  #63
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
I would say he is prone to letting in bad goals pretty often tbh. The kid has a lot of talent no doubt but I think S E P H's evaluation is relatively fair.
I have seen him 10-15 times in the last 2 years and the Memorial Cup, I can only remember 2 bad goals and he did look rather shaky afterwards but I would not say he is mentally weak must young goales look shaky after a bad goal. I could be wrong but I haven't seen much to say he is mentally weak.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:13 PM
  #64
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,520
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
I would say he is prone to letting in bad goals pretty often tbh. The kid has a lot of talent no doubt but I think S E P H's evaluation is relatively fair.
No it really isnt.

I wasnt a Brossoit fan two years ago, but he made me one last year. He didnt start off the year well but has picked up his game.

Any goalie who plays like he did during the playoffs (winning the mvp) is NOT mentally weak.

Mentally weak is Luongo flopping around on his belly, letting in soft goals and collapsing in the playoffs and playing like a skitterish cat in the Olympics.

You guys are too much sometimes.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:14 PM
  #65
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,412
vCash: 50
Goalies are a neurotic lot by nature. It's true that Brossoit can self-destruct at times, but that can also be said about many top starters in the NHL. A goalie with an unshakable mental game is a very rare thing.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:51 PM
  #66
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No it really isnt.

I wasnt a Brossoit fan two years ago, but he made me one last year. He didnt start off the year well but has picked up his game.

Any goalie who plays like he did during the playoffs (winning the mvp) is NOT mentally weak.

Mentally weak is Luongo flopping around on his belly, letting in soft goals and collapsing in the playoffs and playing like a skitterish cat in the Olympics.

You guys are too much sometimes.
It's also easy to play in front of Gernat, Pysyk, Reinhart, Lowe, and Corbett.

Nobody has called him a bad goaler, I am just stating what his main weakness is and how it could impact his career.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:02 AM
  #67
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,520
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
It's also easy to play in front of Gernat, Pysyk, Reinhart, Lowe, and Corbett.

Nobody has called him a bad goaler, I am just stating what his main weakness is and how it could impact his career.
Not so much when you are playing against Sven Bartschi and Ty Rattie. He was outstanding. That cant be overstated. You could have said that about him before that maybe, but not anymore. He has really grown in the last couple years. I think Ive seen him pulled once in the last two years. That doesnt sound like a goalie who is weak mentally.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:09 AM
  #68
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I have seen him 10-15 times in the last 2 years and the Memorial Cup, I can only remember 2 bad goals and he did look rather shaky afterwards but I would not say he is mentally weak must young goales look shaky after a bad goal. I could be wrong but I haven't seen much to say he is mentally weak.
Sam Consentino often mentionned that Team Canada questionned the mental aspect of his game as well. That's why they sent him to play the 2nd game in the Subway Super Series to see how he'd respond to a great performance. He had a tough start and TC saw what they feared for.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:15 AM
  #69
Kid Dynamite
5 14 6 1
 
Kid Dynamite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Downtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 903
vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No it really isnt.

I wasnt a Brossoit fan two years ago, but he made me one last year. He didnt start off the year well but has picked up his game.

Any goalie who plays like he did during the playoffs (winning the mvp) is NOT mentally weak.

Mentally weak is Luongo flopping around on his belly, letting in soft goals and collapsing in the playoffs and playing like a skitterish cat in the Olympics.

You guys are too much sometimes.
Maybe we have a different definition of mentally weak. When Brossoit is on his game he is fantastic. He will have games where he lets in a softie and has a rough night. You can say this is common in young goaltenders but this doesn't mean he is free from criticism from it. Elite goalies have the ability to shake off a bad goal, I question this about Brossoit.

Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:21 AM
  #70
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 6,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
Maybe we have a different definition of mentally weak. When Brossoit is on his game he is fantastic. He will have games where he lets in a softie and has a rough night. You can say this is common in young goaltenders but this doesn't mean he is free from criticism from it. Elite goalies have the ability to shake off a bad goal, I question this about Brossoit.
You can also call it inconsistency, which I personally consider it to be part of the mental game (for players and goalers).

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:24 AM
  #71
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Sam Consentino often mentionned that Team Canada questionned the mental aspect of his game as well. That's why they sent him to play the 2nd game in the Subway Super Series to see how he'd respond to a great performance. He had a tough start and TC saw what they feared for.
Judging by how their goalies and team performed I think it is safe to say their choices are questionable.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:50 AM
  #72
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,520
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Sam Consentino often mentionned that Team Canada questionned the mental aspect of his game as well. That's why they sent him to play the 2nd game in the Subway Super Series to see how he'd respond to a great performance. He had a tough start and TC saw what they feared for.
Right, because Subban and Binnington never let in bad goals. Hockey Canada put Kevin Prendergast in charge of the WJT. That says all you need to know about them.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:51 AM
  #73
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,520
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
Maybe we have a different definition of mentally weak. When Brossoit is on his game he is fantastic. He will have games where he lets in a softie and has a rough night. You can say this is common in young goaltenders but this doesn't mean he is free from criticism from it. Elite goalies have the ability to shake off a bad goal, I question this about Brossoit.
Mentally weak means consistently folds under pressure.

Pretty hard to say that about a guy who was the WHL playoff MVP.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:19 AM
  #74
Gary83*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Ummmm... Leach is no longer Flames property. He wasn't resigned. Feaster also strongly hinted Ramage isn't in the future plans. The organization is very high on Gaudreau and Horak is an NHL lock.
lol. Are you seriously bumping a post of mine from almost a year ago? You know, when Leach was looking to at least be a serviceable bottom pairing d-man, or when Ramage would be more of a need for Flames before Wotherspoon took a good leap in development. Good stuff.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:33 AM
  #75
madmike77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
You can also call it inconsistency, which I personally consider it to be part of the mental game (for players and goalers).
I'm not saying Brossoit was consistent, but by the same token you can hardly say Subban was the model of consistency either during camp or during the tournament.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.