Official Sports Radio Thread Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
What is worse, media members being this way or a media member writing articles criticizing other media members?

Old
01-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
What is worse, media members being this way or a media member writing articles criticizing other media members?
Media criticism is nothing new; if anything, it's as old as media itself. And in this case, it's absolutely spot on.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:57 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
Oh boo hoo.

The guys he criticzed make loooooads of money criticizing guys in far less fair and well-articulated ways.

Honestly, what was wrong with this? This is a criticism many well-informed, educated fans in Boston have and express. Writing an article exploring the topic is totally fair game, and he presented a well-thought out argument.

Nick Cafardo is terrible at his job. Terrible. He has one of the most coveted positions in all of sports media.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:41 PM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

In the 1980s in Boston we had Will McDonough on the NFL, Peter Gammons on MLB, and Bob Ryan for the NBA and that was just the Boston Globe.

With more outlets now, we are treated to the likes of Chris Gasper (Rondo's Torn ACL a blow for the future...wow, very insightful) and Cafardo, who took about 10 years to overcome his Roger Clemens fetish.

When there were fewer outlets, we were quite lucky and dare I say spoiled by the journalistic talent.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins309;58536571[B
]In the 1980s in Boston we had Will McDonough on the NFL, Peter Gammons on MLB, and Bob Ryan for the NBA [/B]and that was just the Boston Globe.

With more outlets now, we are treated to the likes of Chris Gasper (Rondo's Torn ACL a blow for the future...wow, very insightful) and Cafardo, who took about 10 years to overcome his Roger Clemens fetish.

When there were fewer outlets, we were quite lucky and dare I say spoiled by the journalistic talent.
what's missing from that all star lineup?

Old
01-28-2013, 02:52 PM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
I know what you're getting at, but I just mentioned those three because they were writing for the Globe and also had high-profile national gigs (McD on NBC's NFL Live, Gammons on ESPN, and Ryan pretty much everywhere like Sports Reporters, etc).

Yes, I did leave out Bud Collins as well, who was doing a ton of TV work. People under 30 might be shocked to learn that tennis was a big freaking deal in this country until the last 20 years.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:52 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Mainly talent...

Old
01-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

The problem with the media is the deals they the various sports teams. I have no doubt that reporters are told to hold off on or kill certain stories by their higher ups because they don't want to upset the teams they have deals with.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Therick67

Mazz doing his Ray Lewis is pretty funny..

Old
01-28-2013, 03:02 PM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
The problem with the media is the deals they the various sports teams. I have no doubt that reporters are told to hold off on or kill certain stories by their higher ups because they don't want to upset the teams they have deals with.
It's very hard to get access to the players in the modern era. Not only that, but players are much more guarded anyway so what they end up with is a bunch of cliches, generally.

Bob Ryan's talked about this quite a bit. Covering the Celtics in the 1970s, he would be on their plane and he would stand drinks after games with Dave Cowens or whomever.

There are a few national journos (Jay Glazer for example for NFL on Fox) who have developed personal relationships with athletes but that is few and far between these days. Access is limited and a lot of writers probably don't want to jeopardize the little access they have.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins309 View Post
It's very hard to get access to the players in the modern era. Not only that, but players are much more guarded anyway so what they end up with is a bunch of cliches, generally.

Bob Ryan's talked about this quite a bit. Covering the Celtics in the 1970s, he would be on their plane and he would stand drinks after games with Dave Cowens or whomever.

There are a few national journos (Jay Glazer for example for NFL on Fox) who have developed personal relationships with athletes but that is few and far between these days. Access is limited and a lot of writers probably don't want to jeopardize the little access they have.

But when you have outside reporters breaking stories on local teams and the local writers talking down those stories I have no doubt the reporters were told to do so by their bosses. The Sox,C's,Pats,B's can push around the folks at 98.5,eei,nesn etc and get them to bend to their will. They can't push around Espn or the NFL network. Reporters also know that if the teams their networks have deal with are having problems that might mean less revenue for the network which in turns means fewer reporters so they might loss their jobs. The media around here (and other places) protect their hometown teams now because it helps their bottom line.

Last edited by Lost Horizons: 01-28-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling
Old
01-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Mainly talent...
haha! for some reason the bolded part didn't actually get bolded.

I'm sure you'd be the first to agree that the old saturday morning Mcdonough column was must reading. So much better than the the guy he replaced who would always start it off by telling us what he had for breakfast that morning.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Therick67

Quote:

I'm sure you'd be the first to agree that the old saturday morning Mcdonough column was must reading. So much better than the the guy he replaced who would always start it off by telling us what he had for breakfast that morning.
Well, breakfast is the most important meal of the day

Old
01-28-2013, 03:21 PM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Quote:

Not to say that Will McD was without flaws...he did famously insert himself into the Kraft/Parcells divorce. Not to mention the agendas he had against certain local athletes like Roger Clemens and Mo Vaughn.

But his NFL writing was second to none and his son is a tremendous PBP guy in any sport he does.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Not to say that Will McD was without flaws...he did famously insert himself into the Kraft/Parcells divorce. Not to mention the agendas he had against certain local athletes like Roger Clemens and Mo Vaughn.

But his NFL writing was second to none and his son is a tremendous PBP guy in any sport he does.
oh he had an ego, no question about it. I honestly wish he covered Beacon Hill during those years. THAT is where he was sorely needed.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
oh he had an ego, no question about it. I honestly wish he covered Beacon Hill during those years. THAT is where he was sorely needed.
Still is. Flaherty,Finneran,DiMasi. Yeah we're on a roll. Three peat baby!

Old
01-28-2013, 03:34 PM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Quote:
It's a nice thought, but he was very tight with Senate President Billy Bulger and his family. So he might not have been "fair and balanced"

An urban legend about Will McD: When he passed away in 2003, there is a story that Whitey Bulger came back to Boston and went to his funeral in disguise. Not sure how true that is, but it seems more plausible since we now know Whitey was living in Santa Monica, California at the time.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
In the 1980s in Boston we had Will McDonough on the NFL, Peter Gammons on MLB, and Bob Ryan for the NBA and that was just the Boston Globe.

Cafardo has overcome his Clemens fetish?

Old
01-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Still is. Flaherty,Finneran,DiMasi. Yeah we're on a roll. Three peat baby!
actually, I'd have to rethink that. I do remember him ticking me off by carrying JJ's water with an absurd "JJ is losing money on the Bruins" article. It was up to Eddie Andelman (of all people) to set the whole thing straight by pointing out "yeah Will that's only true if JJ never sold 1 hot dog, never sold 1 soda....etc."

Old
01-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Chiarelli coming up on Toucher and Rich

Old
01-30-2013, 07:35 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Things from Chiarelli:
Around $9m in capspace at the deadline
can add $15m in salary at the deadline
Will talk to FA's sometime during the season
Dougies job to lose going in
3rd line not clicking will see how it goes
goal tending schedule plan in place

Old
01-30-2013, 07:35 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

I know it sounds like I'm glamorizing it and saying how much better the Globe was back in the day, but it's true. The freaking notebooks were being written by Will McDonough, Gammons, and Bob Ryan, with columns by Leigh Montville, and everyone else too. So far ahead of what that place has become that it's a disservice to even call the Globe the Globe. It was the best sports page in the country, now I can't even tell you the last time I bothered reading it.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
, with columns by Leigh Montville.
completely miss him

Old
01-30-2013, 07:40 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I know it sounds like I'm glamorizing it and saying how much better the Globe was back in the day, but it's true. The freaking notebooks were being written by Will McDonough, Gammons, and Bob Ryan, with columns by Leigh Montville, and everyone else too. So far ahead of what that place has become that it's a disservice to even call the Globe the Globe. It was the best sports page in the country, now I can't even tell you the last time I bothered reading it.
Same here. Montville, for example, was always a must read. CHB is a must avoid. And on it goes down the line.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:49 AM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Things from Chiarelli:
Around $9m in capspace at the deadline
can add $15m in salary at the deadline

Will talk to FA's sometime during the season
Dougies job to lose going in