HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

When Reasoner's healthy...

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2003, 12:27 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
When Reasoner's healthy...

Assuming Marty is back in the line-up in the next week or so, the Oilers will find themselves in a rather difficult situation. They will have York, Oates, Reasoner, Horcoff and Stoll at the centre position. Although most of us agree that Stoll has skipped ahead of Horcoff in the depth chart, Horcs no longer has a 2 way contract, and Stoll has basically logged Reasoners minutes and fulfilled his role. My question to you is will it make sense to send Stoll down to Toronto where he can play a more important role, and use his roster spot to call up Rita and see if he can make an impact?

I think he might be able to spark the goal sheet if he is given the chance. How do you guys like this line-up.

Smyth-York-Dvorak
Isbister-Horcoff-Hemsky
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Torres-Oates-Rita
extras: Chimera-Laraque

Our top 3 play makers are broken up (York, Hemsky, Oates), and we have a little bit of finish on all the lines.

Old
12-14-2003, 06:55 AM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Assuming Marty is back in the line-up in the next week or so, the Oilers will find themselves in a rather difficult situation. They will have York, Oates, Reasoner, Horcoff and Stoll at the centre position. Although most of us agree that Stoll has skipped ahead of Horcoff in the depth chart, Horcs no longer has a 2 way contract, and Stoll has basically logged Reasoners minutes and fulfilled his role. My question to you is will it make sense to send Stoll down to Toronto where he can play a more important role, and use his roster spot to call up Rita and see if he can make an impact?

I think he might be able to spark the goal sheet if he is given the chance. How do you guys like this line-up.

Smyth-York-Dvorak
Isbister-Horcoff-Hemsky
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Torres-Oates-Rita
extras: Chimera-Laraque

Our top 3 play makers are broken up (York, Hemsky, Oates), and we have a little bit of finish on all the lines.
horcoff has no right playing with hemsky and isbister. They put hemsky, horcoff, and isbister before and horcoff kills that line. Horcoff hasn't gotten a lot of icetime lately and hasn't done anything for the team. It's time we part ways with horcoff and let stoll take over. Stoll has played better, out produced him in less games than horcoff. Horcoff sucks, get rid of him and chimera. Keep stoll and call up rita. Oilers need new blood in the lineups none of this 4th line crap that cant do ****. lines that i would like would be

smyth-york-hemsky
rita-oates-dvorak
moreau-reasoner-pisani
torres-stoll-isbister

Extras: doesn't matter
rita and isbister can switch places if one of them is cold and hte other is hot.

Old
12-14-2003, 07:08 AM
sidelines

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
horcoff has no right playing with hemsky and isbister. They put hemsky, horcoff, and isbister before and horcoff kills that line. Horcoff hasn't gotten a lot of icetime lately and hasn't done anything for the team. It's time we part ways with horcoff and let stoll take over. Stoll has played better, out produced him in less games than horcoff. Horcoff sucks, get rid of him and chimera. Keep stoll and call up rita. Oilers need new blood in the lineups none of this 4th line crap that cant do ****. lines that i would like would be

smyth-york-hemsky
rita-oates-dvorak
moreau-reasoner-pisani
torres-stoll-isbister

Extras: doesn't matter
rita and isbister can switch places if one of them is cold and hte other is hot.
Now those are some lines I'd LOVE to see. Trade Horcoff,Laraque and Ferguson for a good d-man, and let Cross be the 7th d-man, maybe sometimes rotating in with Bergy and Semenov. But knowing MacT I wouldn't be surprised to see Ferguson moved onto a forward line to get some veteran presence up there.

Old
12-14-2003, 04:18 PM
jadeddog

there really *shouldnt* be a question about this really.... stoll should take over at 4th line and horcoff should sit..... york on 1st line C and oates for 2nd line......

here is what my lineup looks like:

smyth-york-hemsky
torres/rita-oates-dvorak
moreau-reasoner-pisani
isbister-stoll-laraque

Old
12-14-2003, 08:04 PM
GorillazXL

[QUOTE=mrush]
smyth-york-hemsky
rita-oates-dvorak
moreau-reasoner-pisani
torres-stoll-isbister
QUOTE]

Like the looks of this line up alot. That's basically four solid lines each with scoring and defensive abilities.

D pairing:

Brewer - Semenov
Smith - Staios
Bergeron - Cross
Extra: Fergy

GXL

Old
12-14-2003, 08:25 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
horcoff has no right playing with hemsky and isbister. They put hemsky, horcoff, and isbister before and horcoff kills that line. Horcoff hasn't gotten a lot of icetime lately and hasn't done anything for the team. It's time we part ways with horcoff and let stoll take over. Stoll has played better, out produced him in less games than horcoff. Horcoff sucks, get rid of him and chimera.
Actually, bear in mind that Horcoff has played better of late judging from his past 4-5 games. Tonight he was the third star after all. He won important faceoffs and created chances 5 on 5. (After all Igor himself will tell you that he's always been a more than capable even strength player for the last two years) But take that for what's it's worth.

Old
12-14-2003, 08:27 PM
Dangerdanger

Yes i definitely think horc is playing better with a bit less pressure, I guess he just isnt ready for top two line work, but can handle the 4th. I dont know who I'd pick between him and stoll now, tough call.

Old
12-14-2003, 08:37 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky
Yes i definitely think horc is playing better with a bit less pressure, I guess he just isnt ready for top two line work, but can handle the 4th. I dont know who I'd pick between him and stoll now, tough call.
Who knows where the pressure came from.. Maybe he put it all on himself trying to do too much all the time?

But he's averaged around 14-15 minutes a night. Normally higher than what a fourth liner like Laraque gets per night. (Though some of that does probably come short handed) FWIW he's been doing great on the dot for us. In the last 5 games not including this one... his overall faceoff total is 37-24. (~61 %)

Old
12-14-2003, 08:37 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Two way contract for Stoll means he'll be ticketed to Toronto for some prime minutes. He'll be the first call-up in the event of an injury to any LW or C.

Old
12-14-2003, 08:38 PM
jadeddog

i still think that you take stoll..... horcoff has been playing better, but i think that even with his improved play he is, at worst, playing about as well as stoll and, at best, playing a little bit better than stoll..... the big difference between these two is the potential of each player..... many in the oiler organization seem to think very highly of stoll.... so why not give the younger player the ice time? maybe his development can be quickened somewhat by more ice..... whereas im not really sold that horcoff will *ever* be more than a 4th line center (albeit a capable 4th line center)

Old
12-14-2003, 08:41 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
My guess is the guy with the one way contract. This is assuming Stoll is on a 2-way contract and would not have to clear waivers?

Old
12-14-2003, 08:42 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
i still think that you take stoll..... horcoff has been playing better, but i think that even with his improved play he is, at worst, playing about as well as stoll and, at best, playing a little bit better than stoll..... the big difference between these two is the potential of each player..... many in the oiler organization seem to think very highly of stoll.... so why not give the younger player the ice time? maybe his development can be quickened somewhat by more ice..... whereas im not really sold that horcoff will *ever* be more than a 4th line center (albeit a capable 4th line center)
Well, given that Horcoff has been playing at least as well as Stoll if not better... and the fact that Stoll has a two-way contract and Horcoff does not plays a huge role in the decision. Why put around 800k or something in the pressbox when it isn't necessary.

Sure Stoll has the potential... but he's basically playing on the bottom 6 right now with a maximum of 15 minutes a night most likely. Wouldn't it make more sense for the Oil (if it was necessary) to send Stoll down to play #1 center with about 23 minutes of icetime to help hone his offensive prowess? I don't think he can develop that at the big club as much.

Old
12-15-2003, 05:42 AM
Allan

That's what everyone was saying in preseason, too, but Stoll stayed with the team. I think MacTavish will keep both of them up - they can both play wing as well, so it's not as if it always has to between those two.

Closed Thread