HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 11:10 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Morrow seems to be on a really short leash, I've seen him benched a couple of times for the same mistakes that the vets have been making all year. I guess that's what they mean by teaching the system at all levels.
If you're young and you screw up, you're riding the pine. It's always good to show confidence like that in the young guys. It sure goes a long way to having them not think twice about every little detail the next time they are on the ice.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Jacob

stats-wise, Morrow's +/- has improved significantly over the past couple weeks and he always seems to get credited with 2-3 shots per game which is good. We'll see how this short leash thing works out (it did for Goligoski), but we're already at the halfway point in the AHL season, I'd hate for his offensive game to stagnate.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I don't understand what you're saying. Why would we put our prospects in their positions of strength so they succeed?
Because that might interfere with the organization's ultimate goal of winning a calder cup

Old
01-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
If you're young and you screw up, you're riding the pine. It's always good to show confidence like that in the young guys. It sure goes a long way to having them not think twice about every little detail the next time they are on the ice.
I guess they feel more comfortable having Dylan Reese go out and make the same exact mistakes.

Or having Joey Mormina play what seemed like an entire period of overtime, so he could hand the puck and the game winning goal to the other team.

Just because Don Waddell is in the organization now doesn't mean they have to run the farm like the Chicago Wolves.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Coaches are almost always tougher on the young players. This isn't exclusive to the Pens or something new in hockey. It's been going on forever.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Hano looking like himself again. 4G, 2A in his last 4 games.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Hano looking like himself again. 4G, 2A in his last 4 games.
great news. thanks for the update.

Old
01-27-2013, 11:49 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Harrington looked his usual solid, dependable self in London's 3-2 win over Kingston this afternoon. Rock steady in the defensive zone, good outlet passes, and even a couple of hard shots on net.

Maatta kind of looked meh. Decent defensively, didn't do much offensively. I was hoping he'd be more of an impact for the Knights, especially against a pretty weak club in Kingston.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

Maatta kind of looked meh. Decent defensively, didn't do much offensively. I was hoping he'd be more of an impact for the Knights, especially against a pretty weak club in Kingston.
After Harrington leaves next year from maata and zadarov who will become London's top defense men? Without harringtons defense they will probably need maata to step up which should be good for him since he'd receive alot more responsibility.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:45 AM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Coaches are almost always tougher on the young players. This isn't exclusive to the Pens or something new in hockey. It's been going on forever.
older guys tend to be what they are......it's the kid's with talent but are not using it that get the most attention [if yo know what i mean.]

Old
01-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Good game from Zlobin last night, with 1g(gwg) and 2a

Old
01-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Ian Altenbaugh
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
After Harrington leaves next year from maata and zadarov who will become London's top defense men? Without harringtons defense they will probably need maata to step up which should be good for him since he'd receive alot more responsibility.
Maatta would probably be better fit in a defensive role anyway. His offense is really a secondary part of his game, and I think that's why a lot of people are less than impressed by him this season, despite him posting fairly decent numbers.

Maatta is an interesting prospect in general. I've talked to people who, after watching the same game, had completely different opinions of him, coming away having seen much different things. Ultimately, I think he projects as a d-man who will be somewhere between Jordan Leopold and Mark Eaton (to use names Pens fans are familiar with). Meaning he'll be a fairly vanilla, two-way d-man who can put up some numbers, though his primary game is making smart high-percentage plays, carrying the puck up ice, and keeping the puck out of his zone.

Morrow has had a lot of ups and downs this season and it should not be any surprise whatsoever. Coming into prospect camp he said (paraphrasing) "I wasn't able to work on the systems the Penguins taught me this season because of the style we play in Portland". Which is another way of saying, "don't expect a ton early on, I have my work cut out for me."

He is actually very good at moving and shooting the puck. It's just that most other parts of his game need work right now. To use a familiar cliche, he's learning the "systems" and figuring out his role within the "systems".

That all being said, I'm not exactly thrilled with how the Pens have developed some of their prospects over the last two or three years. It does not seem to be a particularly nurturing environment for skilled players (especially forwards), which doesn't make a ton of sense if you consider they are trying to groom skilled forwards to complement Crosby and Malkin. They, like many teams, believe a player needs to be torn down then built back up to play a certain way or in a certain role. The problem comes when the coach isn't able to instill some confidence in a player who might be questioning his own abilities. I don't know the exact source or reason for the problem, Coach Hynes has a long successful track record working with young players, but it is something that seems apparent over the last few seasons.

Feel free to disagree, it's just one man's thoughts.

01-28-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Altenbaugh View Post
That all being said, I'm not exactly thrilled with how the Pens have developed some of their prospects over the last two or three years. It does not seem to be a particularly nurturing environment for skilled players (especially forwards), which doesn't make a ton of sense if you consider they are trying to groom skilled forwards to complement Crosby and Malkin. They, like many teams, believe a player needs to be torn down then built back up to play a certain way or in a certain role. The problem comes when the coach isn't able to instill some confidence in a player who might be questioning his own abilities. I don't know the exact source or reason for the problem, Coach Hynes has a long successful track record working with young players, but it is something that seems apparent over the last few seasons.

Feel free to disagree, it's just one man's thoughts.
Totally agree. As someone thats waiting for BB's skill and poise, I hate hearing that he's having his game changed to fit the system.

The system should benefit the players not drag down a skilled player to do grunt work.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Ian Altenbaugh
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Totally agree. As someone thats waiting for BB's skill and poise, I hate hearing that he's having his game changed to fit the system.

The system should benefit the players not drag down a skilled player to do grunt work.
Bennett's fortunately a smart enough human and creative enough player to adapt to whatever situation he is put in. Which should speak even more highly of the level of pedigree and skill he has. I'm reminded, for whatever reason, of Marian Gaborik playing in Minnesota with the trap. He was so creative and skilled that he could adapt and produce in whatever situation he was playing in. I'm by no means saying Bennett is that skilled, just that very creative players are able to produce regardless of their circumstances, not because of them.

Since I started covering the Penguins in 2008, there has only been one legitimate top-nine NHL forward to come up through their system. That's Tyler Kennedy. All of the other young players on the roster over the last five years were either stars and came in via trade (Neal, Sutter), were 4th liners like Vitale, Letestu, or were fringe guys like Luca Caputi or Nick Johnson. The jury is still out on Dustin Jeffrey and Eric Tangradi, but the early returns in 2012-13 have not been great.

Speaking of Jeffrey, I honestly believe he'd be the guy to play with Malkin and Neal if he hadn't shredded his knee awhile back, and experienced the troubles he had last season recovering. He was a hard-working, skilled guy who the Pens wanted to play wing, and play with more physicality, both of which he did successfully. He was one of the few guys who actually improved into a promising forward while developing in the Penguins system, but that was all derailed by his knee injury and the struggles he had last year.

I've also thought Tangradi hasn't been as bad enough to warrant getting demoted to the fourth line, though he has at least managed to stay in the lineup. Bylsma has also made some interesting moves with Despres. He spoke so highly of him a week ago and now Despres is a scratch. Based off everything I had seen of Despres prior to the NHL season, I didn't even think he warranted an extended look. His play was uneven throughout the year in the AHL, and was much of the same in the NHL.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:46 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Bennett's fortunately a smart enough human and creative enough player to adapt to whatever situation he is put in. Which should speak even more highly of the level of pedigree and skill he has. I'm reminded, for whatever reason, of Marian Gaborik playing in Minnesota with the trap. He was so creative and skilled that he could adapt and produce in whatever situation he was playing in. I'm by no means saying Bennett is that skilled, just that very creative players are able to produce regardless of their circumstances, not because of them.

Since I started covering the Penguins in 2008, there has only been one legitimate top-nine NHL forward to come up through their system. That's Tyler Kennedy. All of the other young players on the roster over the last five years were either stars and came in via trade (Neal, Sutter), were 4th liners like Vitale, Letestu, or were fringe guys like Luca Caputi or Nick Johnson. The jury is still out on Dustin Jeffrey and Eric Tangradi, but the early returns in 2012-13 have not been great.

Speaking of Jeffrey, I honestly believe he'd be the guy to play with Malkin and Neal if he hadn't shredded his knee awhile back, and experienced the troubles he had last season recovering. He was a hard-working, skilled guy who the Pens wanted to play wing, and play with more physicality, both of which he did successfully. He was one of the few guys who actually improved into a promising forward while developing in the Penguins system, but that was all derailed by his knee injury and the struggles he had last year.

I've also thought Tangradi hasn't been as bad enough to warrant getting demoted to the fourth line, though he has at least managed to stay in the lineup. Bylsma has also made some interesting moves with Despres. He spoke so highly of him a week ago and now Despres is a scratch. Based off everything I had seen of Despres prior to the NHL season, I didn't even think he warranted an extended look. His play was uneven throughout the year in the AHL, and was much of the same in the NHL.
I'm pretty sure Jeffrey is back to that person again. He's just not being given a chance to prove that.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Sager
U talkin to me punk?

Quote:
Maatta is an interesting prospect in general. I've talked to people who, after watching the same game, had completely different opinions of him, coming away having seen much different things. Ultimately, I think he projects as a d-man who will be somewhere between Jordan Leopold and Mark Eaton (to use names Pens fans are familiar with). Meaning he'll be a fairly vanilla, two-way d-man who can put up some numbers, though his primary game is making smart high-percentage plays, carrying the puck up ice, and keeping the puck out of his zone.
Oh great we just spent a first round pick on the next Mark Eaton!

Old
01-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sager View Post
Oh great we just spent a first round pick on the next Mark Eaton!
oh geez...

Old
01-28-2013, 04:20 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Watching the Yale/Cornell game now, only got to record about half the game.

I know many here like Agostino as a prospect. I definitely am in the minority on that. (haha, could be a minority of one). Despite his scoring stats, I really do not see him as a prospect at all. I have seen him 5 times on TV and once in person at Pen's rookie camp (and I could be very wrong on that my prediction, jmo). While I have seen some improvement in his skating, it is still substandard. Still very poor balance when hit. Awkward skating. He has always had a nose for the net, and good vision. I just don't seem those abilities compensating for his poor skating. I dunno.....at the most I would give him an upside of Mango Salsa. But it wouldn't surprise me if he never played a game at the NHL level, I hope I am wrong.

He is fine in open areas. Poor in traffic. Has lost all puck battles and contact battles I have seen.

Last edited by td_ice: 01-28-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Jag68Sid87

Let's not forget, an in-your-prime Mark Eaton is something this current Penguins team could certainly use. Before people knock Maatta, let's remember that it takes ALL KINDS of different players to win a Stanley Cup. It's actually hard to remember that because we currently have so many similar D-men and grinding forwards.

I can sorta get why Maatta is a prospect without consensus. Whenever I've seen him play, I've been REALLY impressed. And I've seen him only during Memorial Cup and WJC play. In other words, when it matters. To me, he's one of those mistake-free types who go largely unnoticed until he isn't in the lineup. And I like his upside more than Harrington (not that I dislike Harrington). I think Maatta's puck skills are better than Harrington's. He's less polished right now, that's for sure, but I feel he's the type of 25-minute muncher we're going to really need. He'd be great next to Letang, to be honest. Or anywhere for that matter.

Anyway, of all our D-men prospects, Maatta is the guy I hope we keep (aside from Joe Morrow, whom I believe is our best overall prospect).

Old
01-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

I was thinking Maatta would probably be the best of all our prospects next to Letang too. And a more offensive Mark Eaton is definitely worth a 1st round pick imo.

On a side note, does anyone know what happened to Kuhnhackl?

Old
01-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Out for season I believe with shoulder surgery (or a related upper-body injury). Was just starting to post some numbers when it happened too.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:38 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Let's not forget, an in-your-prime Mark Eaton is something this current Penguins team could certainly use. Before people knock Maatta, let's remember that it takes ALL KINDS of different players to win a Stanley Cup. It's actually hard to remember that because we currently have so many similar D-men and grinding forwards.

I can sorta get why Maatta is a prospect without consensus. Whenever I've seen him play, I've been REALLY impressed. And I've seen him only during Memorial Cup and WJC play. In other words, when it matters. To me, he's one of those mistake-free types who go largely unnoticed until he isn't in the lineup. And I like his upside more than Harrington (not that I dislike Harrington). I think Maatta's puck skills are better than Harrington's. He's less polished right now, that's for sure, but I feel he's the type of 25-minute muncher we're going to really need. He'd be great next to Letang, to be honest. Or anywhere for that matter.

Anyway, of all our D-men prospects, Maatta is the guy I hope we keep (aside from Joe Morrow, whom I believe is our best overall prospect).
I'm with you Jags on Maata. I saw him the times you mentioned and also here in Pittsburgh at Pen's camp. I was very impressed. Outstanding vision and hockey sense.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Krom

Our prospects are kinda "meh", eh?

Old
01-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Malkinstheman

There seem to be ALOT of different opinions of maata, some say he can become an eaton, and a while bac someone said he has the potential to become a #1 defencemen or in the mold of timmonen.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krom View Post
Our prospects are kinda "meh", eh?
Our forward prospects outside of Bennett are "meh". Our collection of defense prospects is the best in the league.

Closed Thread