HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where are all the people who bad mouthed Bourque?

Old
01-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Shaby23

vCash: 50
99.9% wanted him gone last year and we had really good reasons. He just proved wrong to all of us. Glad for him.

Shaby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:11 PM
WakeUpNHL

vCash: 500
Coach Therrien appreciates Bourque's hard work, notice how Therrien put Bourque on the PP in overtime and had that set play for Bourque to shoot to get him that goal he worked so hard for all game.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:11 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
In 38 games? For trading Cammilleri? You've got some interesting talent evaluation skills.
Why do you ignore the fact he was bad with the Flames too last year? He had 24 points last season, he played lazy and has a 3,3M$ contract.

Anyway, 38 games is a bigger sample than 4 games uh? You've got some interesting talent evaluation skills. Plus, it's not like I said I would buy him out directly. I was all for giving him a second chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
Over a 38 game span. Even though the last 3 full seasons in Calgary he had scored 21 (in 58 games, a pace of about 28 over a full season), 27 and 27 goals? Three full seasons of consistent 27ish goal scoring pace but buy him out after 38 games with a new team which placed last in the conference?

I'm happy to see him playing like we hoped he would, and hopefully he continues to do so and prove that last year was just a bad phase.
That's what we used to say with ScottyG and Cammalleri. He did this and that, etc. But if he's not producing here, what is he good for?

I'm glad he's playing better and I hope he continues to work hard. But please, don't use a 4 game sample (this year) and then try to ridicule my opinion based on his full season last year.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:17 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Why do you ignore the fact he was bad with the Flames too last year? He had 24 points last season, he played lazy and has a 3,3M$ contract.

Anyway, 38 games is a bigger sample than 4 games uh? You've got some interesting talent evaluation skills. Plus, it's not like I said I would buy him out directly. I was all for giving him a second chance.

That's what we used to say with ScottyG and Cammalleri. He did this and that, etc. But if he's not producing here, what is he good for?

I'm glad he's playing better and I hope he continues to work hard. But please, don't use a 4 game sample (this year) and then try to ridicule my opinion based on his full season last year.
I always was pulling for Bourque, he was playing hurt last year and after his surgeries he's working hard. Most of the complaints were made that he was lazy. Hard to produce when you're injured. Also last years Habs were a shambles. Why are you overlooking his past production?

Now healthy he looks good and he's working hard in a good system.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Kjell Dahlin

I never understood why people in here refused to consider his back to back 27 goals seasons as an indication that maybe, just maybe, Bourque was not total crap. I guess for some posters bashing Bourque was a way to not give credit to Gauthier: we badly won that trade.

His effort level was not great (it was bad!) but he showed us glimpse of usefulness in 2011-12. For instance, I liked him when, during a short period, he played on our shutdown line alongside Plekanec and Darche.

Therrien is also a much better coach for him than the infamous duo of Martin and Cunneyworth.

So far, he looks good on our first line. Heck... the guy attempted 13 shots vs NJ!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:18 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Coach Therrien appreciates Bourque's hard work, notice how Therrien put Bourque on the PP in overtime and had that set play for Bourque to shoot to get him that goal he worked so hard for all game.
Yes I did notice that and I also noticed Bourque was on the ice for 22 minutes. I appreciate his work ethic this year and also like MT for rewarding and playing guys ( in their right roles ) for their hard work.

yianik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Bourque is generating a lot of chances, if he can keep taht up eventually one will go in and then he will get another and another and another. The Plekanec line seems to have good chemistry.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:29 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
I always was pulling for Bourque, he was playing hurt last year and after his surgeries he's working hard. Most of the complaints were made that he was lazy. Hard to produce when you're injured. Also last years Habs were a shambles. Why are you overlooking his past production?

Now healthy he looks good and he's working hard in a good system.
I didn't. But based on how he played last year, I wasn't hoping a lot from him this year. That said, I totally forgot he had a surgery. On the other hand, past performances don't always guarantee the player will repeat them. We've had some good examples in Montréal over the years.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Habs Junkie

People were bashing Bourque just so they can prove they were right about Gauthier. I always backed him not because I liked Gauthier but because I actually watched him play in Calgary and always liked him as a flame.

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
People were bashing Bourque just so they can prove they were right about Gauthier. I always backed him not because I liked Gauthier but because I actually watched him play in Calgary and always liked him as a flame.
In all fairness, he was terrible last season. That being said, the team in general was terrible last season so the blame doesn't fall on his shoulders alone. One thing is certain, he is playing much MUCH better this season and you notice him on the ice for good reasons not bad ones. Congrats to Bourque for turning his play around. I guarantee you, he'll start burying more pucks soon with the way he's playing.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:44 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post

You also shouldn't use only a one-season sample (one in which he was traded halfway through, and ended up having surgery at the end of the season) to assess a player when he has three very much better seasons prior to that.

To make a judgement on 38 games with the Habs with production very different from his last three entire seasons is as silly if not moreso as making a judgement based on only 4 games this season.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Bullsmith

I bad mouthed him plenty last year based on his play. This year, I've got nothing to complain about. Again, based on his play.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:51 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Was glad to see this!!

MT seems to be rewarding the guys who are playing well!!

As for Bourque, I think he has a great start, let's hope he gets a few goals to go with his hard work!!

I didn't bash him last year, but he was bad, I think most knew he would have to start the year off the way he has!! Glad he is giving us a big body around the net, and he is causing turnovers etc.

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:00 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
You also shouldn't use only a one-season sample (one in which he was traded halfway through, and ended up having surgery at the end of the season) to assess a player when he has three very much better seasons prior to that.

To make a judgement on 38 games with the Habs with production very different from his last three entire seasons is as silly if not moreso as making a judgement based on only 4 games this season.
As I said earlier, I completely forgot his surgery.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I guess people forget his play in the first few games when he first joined the Habs. Consistency has always been an issue with him, sometimes he'll try like the way he is now. Hopefully he doesn't repeat his old ways this year.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Tusk

You mean the guy who can't hit the net to save his life that we've only seen a small sample size from to compare him to last year?

These premature threads are hilarious.

His hustle has been great this year, looks much better, so far. Teams and players need much more to prove themselves than 4 games.

I could deal with seeing these threads after 20 games or so, but 4 is not a time to eat crow or prove anything.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:57 PM
zzoo

I'm surprised to learn out that before joining Habs, he was on pace to score 28 goals. In 38 games with Flames last season, he got 13 goals, but only 3 assists.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Bourque played bad last year, not terrible. He missed great chances, but at the same time he set up teammates with great chances and they missed.

A little bit of luck for him and his linemates could finish he would have had 20 goals 30 points easily.

People wouldn't have been all over him. However, he didn't go that way and he played bad. The main bright spot was when he beat up Hendricks.

Bourque has played well, but I just hope he feels a connection to the habs and if one of Plekanec, or Gionta is targetted he'll stand up for them.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

We need more time to see if he hits a "cold streak". Players like Bourque need to be evaluated over a longer time period because that is how their inconsistency can be discovered.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:04 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I'll say the same thing I said when he got here... I hope he lights it up.

That's not what I think is going to happen though. He's always been a streaky player and if he hits a hot streak (which he has not done) then I hope we could deal him and rid ourselves of this guy. Inconsistent, often doesn't show up and misses way too many shots.

That said, he's shown some effort this season and that's great. If he clicks with the coach and his linemates, so much the better. But I personally think we'd be better off dealing this guy away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
No. People bashed him because he sucked and showed no effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
You mean the guy who can't hit the net to save his life that we've only seen a small sample size from to compare him to last year?

These premature threads are hilarious.

His hustle has been great this year, looks much better, so far. Teams and players need much more to prove themselves than 4 games.

I could deal with seeing these threads after 20 games or so, but 4 is not a time to eat crow or prove anything.
Yup, that's the guy.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:05 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Needs to do some of those Kovalev stickhandling and shooting drills.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:08 PM
PK76

I said in the buyout thread (in which he was mentionned a lot) that he could surprise some of the haters. It's still early but some people will have to eat some crow if he keeps it up.

As a guy who liked AK, to me Bourque is similar because he's a big guy who can hit hard who has a rocket shot. I tend to like these guys even though they're enigmas as they tend to disapear for stretches. I really like what I've seen from Bourque early in the season and I was really happy to see MT put him out there for the PP in OT yesterday.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabzFanatik71 View Post
I said in the buyout thread (in which he was mentionned a lot) that he could surprise some of the haters. It's still early but some people will have to eat some crow if he keeps it up.

As a guy who liked AK, to me Bourque is similar because he's a big guy who can hit hard who has a rocket shot. I tend to like these guys even though they're enigmas as they tend to disapear for stretches. I really like what I've seen from Bourque early in the season and I was really happy to see MT put him out there for the PP in OT yesterday.
He's always had all the tools. Big, decent skater, can shoot... Sure he could put it together. The guy's scored close to 30 on a couple of occassions and has the talent to do it. It's the inconsistency that is bothersome. You never know if he's going to show up and when he doesn't he's completely useless out there.

Like I said, if he starts playing well I hope we sell high.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:30 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He's always had all the tools. Big, decent skater, can shoot... Sure he could put it together. The guy's scored close to 30 on a couple of occassions and has the talent to do it. It's the inconsistency that is bothersome. You never know if he's going to show up and when he doesn't he's completely useless out there.

Like I said, if he starts playing well I hope we sell high.
Sounds like you're describing AKost.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Sounds like you're describing AKost.
Actually yeah... only he was more consistent than Bourque was. Then again he had better tools and was the bigger dissapointment.