HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ideal System for the Flyers: Now and the Future

Old
01-28-2013, 02:07 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 500
Ideal System for the Flyers: Now and the Future

I love the way Peter Laviolette coaches, and I'd like him here long term. But his stubbornness and unwillingness to adjust his system to cater to his big, slow/old defense, young forwards, and inconsistent goaltender (yes I know he's been tremendously better) continues to drive me nuts.

I refuse to believe that this defensive personnel is THAT bad. No we don't have a true #1 anymore, but our top 5 defensemen, when healthy, should be among the best in the league. And we're not throwing Lukas Krajicek out there anymore, we have about 5 serviceable 5/6 d-men in the organizaiton. The forwards...we brag about having all these guys with defensive upsides and good two way awareness (Couturier, Schenn, Fedotenko, Talbot), or just the effort (Simmonds, Voracek, Read, Giroux)...yet they're AWFUL backchecking 5v5.

We've got some good players we could see in the next few seasons like Laughton, Cousins, Noebels, Gostisbehere, and Stolarz...not to mention Bryz for 8 more years (likely starting for 4-6 of them). If we could change it up today, what would be the ideal system going forward for this team to succeed?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Well...we have Terry Murray on the Phantoms. I imagine if Lavi goes, he comes up.

01-28-2013, 02:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well...we have Terry Murray on the Phantoms. I imagine if Lavi goes, he comes up.
Well murray isnt doing the best job down there. I know he doesnt have the best players but i haven been impressed with what he has done. Still disappointed they got rid of Patterson. I personally think he did a better job.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:39 PM
dawkins121

I hate how exposed our system leaves the D and goalie but it's a lot more fun to watch than most other teams. I just wish our forwards would learn to backcheck a little more diligantly.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I had started a similar thread about the merits of Lavi's system especially given the personnel. It was a piggyback off of a Meltzer blog post that discussed Lavi being pushed by the GM and owner to change the system a bit and tighten up the D to benefit Bryz. Started off good then devolved into a Bryz bash fest. Luckily Bryz is doing good so I think this thread will have more staying power and not get hijacked..

Anyway..point it that I think Lavi has adjusted somewhat and at least I saw a bit of it against the Rangers but the Rangers weren't on their game and so far against the other two maddening defensive teams that befuddle the Flyers (Devils and TB) the Flyers have looked pretty much lost in the woods...

It's hard to judge how much Lavi has adapted or can adapt with the help of people like Paddock as an eye in the sky given the few games played thus far but doesn't look too great so far...but yeah the players ultimately have to take responsibility for working and executing the system....if they don't questions have to be asked as to why?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:54 PM
LuigiStone*

I hate him. I want someone like Randy Carlyle, Ted Nolan or Claude Julien.

LuigiStone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:59 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

There isn't anyone out there who would be a decent replacement

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:01 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiStone View Post
I hate him. I want someone like Randy Carlyle, Ted Nolan or Claude Julien.
yeah yeah nice sarcasm....

Doesn't matter whether we like him...we have no bearing on the outcome of whether he stays or not. However, it does matter what the players think of him and his system. They have to believe in it and if they don't then unfortunately you can't fire the whole team so Lavi gets ousted as a lot of coaches do. It's a short shelf life as coach in the NHL and there is a reason for it and coaches like Lavi and Torts and even Hitch are especially known to be short shelf lifers especially since they are task master types and don't typically like to change things up...heck even Sutter in LA is know to be this type...

Old
01-28-2013, 03:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
There isn't anyone out there who would be a decent replacement
True but again when a coach loses his team there isn't much choice but to get a replacement. Not saying Lavi has lost his team but if they continue to look lost against defensive teams like NJ, Tampa and a fresh Ranger team and other teams that are D oriented then they might lose trust in his message...just sayin.

Lavi is not a bad coach at all but his reputation precedes him that his task master ways can tire a team and even he knows it. I mean in Carolina the locker room particularly Brindamour ran him out of town after winning a cup no less...

Old
01-28-2013, 03:15 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Not too sure who everyone wants. I don't want Murray again, guy is a black hole with offense.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

I saw you guys played some 1-3-1 yesterday. Maybe you guys are thinking it wasnt such a bad system or that was only VS/NBC sports that didnt like it. I forget.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:25 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
I saw you guys played some 1-3-1 yesterday. Maybe you guys are thinking it wasnt such a bad system or that was only VS/NBC sports that didnt like it. I forget.
I didn't see us playing any 1-3-1 or zone defenses for that matter.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:28 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I didn't see us playing any 1-3-1 or zone defenses for that matter.
Against the Rangers I noticed it if I recall..or at least at times in the game. Easy to notice from the stands..on TV not so obvious sometimes.

The Devils and TB games I watched with one eye open ..gripping my pillow tight...

Old
01-28-2013, 03:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Not sure what you want him to change. Coaches want players to play to their system. Not the other way around.

And he runs his system because that is an attractive style of play. The Flyers as an organizational philosophy are against the trap. We'll never have a system where 3 guys line up at the red line and a defenseman hangs back.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Not sure what you want him to change. Coaches want players to play to their system. Not the other way around.

And he runs his system because that is an attractive style of play. The Flyers as an organizational philosophy are against the trap. We'll never have a system where 3 guys line up at the red line and a defenseman hangs back.
Except we definitely have this year. I noticed it when I was at the Rangers game and thought I saw it during the Panthers game.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
As an outside fan I hope you guys don't change.

However I do get 100% what op means, as Leafs with Wilson was the same. I just don't want to lose one of the few remaining exciting teams left in hockey, so selfishly I hope noting changes.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:59 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post

Attractive to whom? I didn't enjoy watching them fall down 0-2 with a time out halfway through the first over and over again. There has to be more attention to defence and he seems too stubborn to change. I loved Lavi when he first got here, his passion and fire was great, especially because he was so different from Stevens but he doesn't even look like his heart is in it this year. He doesn't freak out behind the bench anymore, he is looking more like Terry Murray and his 1 expression.

Dallas Eakins is a highly thought of AHL coach with the Marlies and might be the guy to watch as a replacement.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

I think the current state of the flyers defenseman and goalkeepers will keep any system to work for them. They need to improve the back end in order to deal with the forechecking pressure from teams like the devils.

I don't think the offense is a huge problem but they seem to be trying to be too cute though the neutral zone. The flyers are a team that's most successful when they dump the puck in and get a forechecking cycle going creating havoc in front of the net and rolling all four lines. Especially with the stricter interference calls on dump ins it's a little less challenging to get to the puck first.

Special teams have been pretty bad too though, maybe it's time to ditch the umbrella on PP and as for penalty kill go back to the aggressive high pressure pk like in the late 2000s

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Except we definitely have this year. I noticed it when I was at the Rangers game and thought I saw it during the Panthers game.
OK, well, in the Rangers game they started taking a bunch of penalties, and against the Panthers they were up so big that it didn't matter. The team let off the gas in that game, they did get out-shot. As a base strategy though, they will never, ever trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Attractive to whom? I didn't enjoy watching them fall down 0-2 with a time out halfway through the first over and over again. There has to be more attention to defence and he seems too stubborn to change. I loved Lavi when he first got here, his passion and fire was great, especially because he was so different from Stevens but he doesn't even look like his heart is in it this year. He doesn't freak out behind the bench anymore, he is looking more like Terry Murray and his 1 expression.

Dallas Eakins is a highly thought of AHL coach with the Marlies and might be the guy to watch as a replacement.
Lavy might not get too angry anymore, because this is around the time he got fired from the Hurricanes (sooner with the Islanders). He knows what got him fired, and he knows he doesn't want to go the same road. He told a room full of fans that he's not naive enough to think he won't get fired again. He can't scream and yell every time anymore.

Also, it's a failing of the GM if he does not give the coach the personnel to run the coach's system. That's across all sports.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:07 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Every team traps in certain situations, but I think the point was that won't be the Flyers main philosophy anytime soon.

I actually think Lavy has adjusted as I don't see the D activated as much as before. Maybe the players themselves just aren't comfortable doing it, and are being more cautious. Either way, it doesn't seem as aggressive. A lot of our breakdowns are coming in the d zone, which could be from the forwards looking to get on the offensive too soon, but to me it looks like they just don't have a lot of players with good defensive instincts.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Every team traps in certain situations, but I think the point was that won't be the Flyers main philosophy anytime soon.

I actually think Lavy has adjusted as I don't see the D activated as much as before. Maybe the players themselves just aren't comfortable doing it, and are being more cautious. Either way, it doesn't seem as aggressive. A lot of our breakdowns are coming in the d zone, which could be from the forwards looking to get on the offensive too soon, but to me it looks like they just don't have a lot of players with good defensive instincts.
We also have one guy on each pair who is new to the system (at least when Grossmann and Coburn aren't together), although I don't think any of them have looked uncomfortable in general.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:10 PM
kicksave27

They are simply terrible in their own end when pressured. It's how the devils killed them in the playoffs last year, reverse and reverse some more, usually leading to a turnover. The kings did two short passes and out of the zone they went.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:22 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
They are simply terrible in their own end when pressured. It's how the devils killed them in the playoffs last year, reverse and reverse some more, usually leading to a turnover. The kings did two short passes and out of the zone they went.
I couldn't agree more. They need a much better D-zone breakout plan, and if the opposition goes all out to pressure them, then send a cherry-picker to centre ice to stretch their D.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote