HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Top 25 Slovakian Players Of All-Time – #3

View Poll Results: Top 25 Slovakian Players Of All-Time – #3
Marian Hossa 18 62.07%
Peter Bondra 4 13.79%
Zigmund Palffy 4 13.79%
Marian Gaborik 0 0%
Robert Svehla 0 0%
Lubomir Visnovsky 0 0%
Pavol Demitra 1 3.45%
Michal Handzus 0 0%
Vladimir Dzurilla 1 3.45%
Jozef Golonka 0 0%
Marian Stastny 0 0%
Anton Stastny 0 0%
Miroslav Satan 1 3.45%
Jozef Stümpel 0 0%
Richard Zednik 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-28-2013, 03:46 PM
jcbio11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
A few Czechs came over (Bubla, Hlinka, Nedomansky being the most successful) and while they were superstars at home, were far less effective in the NHL than in their home countries. They faltered against tougher competition. The Czechoslovak leagues were simply inferior.

edit:
Not everyone adapts well. Stastny came over and was a dominant force in the 80s. Sample size too small in the 80s to make any statements, just like you said, a few guys came over.

How do you explain the explosion of talent in the 90s (and by talent, I mean talent that made it - off the top of my head - Jagr, Hasek, Bondra, Palffy etc.)? Magic?

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:48 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
Not everyone adapts well. Stastny came over and was a dominant force in the 80s. Sample size too small in the 80s to make any statements, just like you said, a few guys came over.

How do you explain the explosion of talent in the 90s (and by talent, I mean talent that made it - off the top of my head - Jagr, Hasek, Bondra, Palffy etc.)? Magic?
Not magic, just improved development infrastructure. I would imagine that it coincided with the declining Soviet influence.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:54 PM
jcbio11

Quote:
Not magic, just improved development infrastructure. I would imagine that it coincided with the declining Soviet influence.
90s Czechs and Slovaks were trained during the communist era. They were just the lucky generation that was allowed to go over to the NHL and play there.

If anything, our development infrastructure is worse now (although situation is not as bleak as some would have you believe), but that's a whole different debate.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:55 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
A few Czechs came over (Bubla, Hlinka, Nedomansky being the most successful) and while they were superstars at home, were far less effective in the NHL than in their home countries. They faltered against tougher competition. The Czechoslovak leagues were simply inferior.

edit:
All 3 of those players played very well in North America considering the ages they came over. I mean, Nedomansky was almost a PPG at the age of 35 in a time when many players would have been retired by then.

Or do you think a 32 year old "rookie" should be just as good as a 22 year old rookie?

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:57 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
90s Czechs and Slovaks were trained during the communist era. They were just the lucky generation that was allowed to go over to the NHL and play there.

If anything, our development infrastructure is worse now (although situation is not as bleak as some would have you believe), but that's a whole different debate.
I have been wondering about that - what's the reason for the relative lack of Czechs and Slovaks coming down the pipe lately?

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:58 PM
jcbio11

Quote:
I have been wondering about that - what's the reason for the relative lack of Czechs and Slovaks coming down the pipe lately?
I'd rather not get into that in this thread.