HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 06:57 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
There certainly aren't tons of goalies who've played up to 40 at a high level. Most either flame out completely or end up as backups.

Also, can we all admit that Leighton is not an NHL caliber goalie, and Holmgren has made a huge error every time he's re-signed this guy?
their thinking he's one of those guys like kiprusoff. not a hall of famer but a guy that can be the guy til he's 38, etc. i think he is too. the contract is worth it then. who knows tho. but yea, leighton sucks. just call up boucher and get it over with.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Sadly, I don't think Boosh will be any better. He had a major injury at the wrong age to have it. It's doubtful he's NHL caliber anymore either. Any time we start a backup we'll need to hope the skaters are dominant.

01-27-2013, 07:38 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I don't understand why Laviolette started Leighton tonight......we need wins and we were on the right track and then they put in this disaster of a goalie. It's so frustrating that this clown keeps getting recycled over and over again with the same results!

PLEASE LEIGHTON GO AWAY!

Old
01-27-2013, 07:43 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Sadly, I don't think Boosh will be any better. He had a major injury at the wrong age to have it. It's doubtful he's NHL caliber anymore either. Any time we start a backup we'll need to hope the skaters are dominant.
speaking of old goalies we could sign roloson for dirt cheap and then keep him on as goalie coach next summer. at least he's actually played in the NHL recently. chubbs played 1 game since that horrible zapruder film goal i keep seein in my nightmares from the finals 3 years ago. it'd be better to just pay him to train for something he can win, like wing bowl, so we can replace the bad memories with good ones. tell me i shouldn't be G.M. (no, it doesn't stand for Ginormous Moron)

Old
01-27-2013, 07:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I don't understand why Laviolette started Leighton tonight......we need wins and we were on the right track and then they put in this disaster of a goalie. It's so frustrating that this clown keeps getting recycled over and over again with the same results!

PLEASE LEIGHTON GO AWAY!
Maybe Bryz is tired or something. Or Lavy is worried he is going to get tired. How many games did he play in Russia? So if Leighton bombs his next start (I assume there will be a next start), do they call up Boosh or look for other options? I love Boosh, but I don't think he would be much of an improvement over Leightoon.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:49 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Maybe Bryz is tired or something. Or Lavy is worried he is going to get tired. How many games did he play in Russia? So if Leighton bombs his next start (I assume there will be a next start), do they call up Boosh or look for other options? I love Boosh, but I don't think he would be much of an improvement over Leightoon.
Bryz is on record saying he wants to and can play a lot of games....this is why we got him. Plus we know he can play a lot from prior history. IMO this was just an early miscalc on Lavi's part...not the end of the world or anything but given our start we need to establish some consistency and continuity before introducing such a wild card like Leighton...

Old
01-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I wish we could get a decent backup or a young talented kid (oh wait, we traded him) and not having to rely on Michael ****in Leighton or Brian Boucher.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:33 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
I wish we could get a decent backup or a young talented kid (oh wait, we traded him) and not having to rely on Michael ****in Leighton or Brian Boucher.
that is holmgren's worst move as G.M to me. getting rid of a coveted young goalie for nothing. second round nothingness. we could've packaged him with something and made an impact move. just weird. if it was to remove all competition from bryzgalov then mission accomplished but you gotta make something happen for him. there's too many teams rollin the dice in net for us to have let him go that easily.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:41 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
that is holmgren's worst move as G.M to me. getting rid of a coveted young goalie for nothing. second round nothingness. we could've packaged him with something and made an impact move. just weird. if it was to remove all competition from bryzgalov then mission accomplished but you gotta make something happen for him. there's too many teams rollin the dice in net for us to have let him go that easily.
Sorry, trading a first for Steve Emminger that ended up becoming John Carlsson takes the cake as the worst move.

Way to early on the Bob trade, maybe Stolarz will become something.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:45 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Quote:
Bryz is on record saying he wants to and can play a lot of games....this is why we got him. Plus we know he can play a lot from prior history. IMO this was just an early miscalc on Lavi's part...not the end of the world or anything but given our start we need to establish some consistency and continuity before introducing such a wild card like Leighton...
I believe Lavy said the same thing about giving Bryz a ton of work, but obviously that's within reason. You still want to win the Cup. No sense in torching Bryz's stamina in a grueling sprint when you'll need him in the playoff marathon.

I still think Bryz will play about 40 games this year if a playoff spot is in question, 35 if we can make a run and get comfortable.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:33 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Sorry, trading a first for Steve Emminger that ended up becoming John Carlsson takes the cake as the worst move.

Way to early on the Bob trade, maybe Stolarz will become something.
There's no guarantee that the flyers make that pick though. Don't forget the flyers picked Kevin Marshall two spots before Subban was taken.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:57 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
There's no guarantee that the flyers make that pick though. Don't forget the flyers picked Kevin Marshall two spots before Subban was taken.
doesn't matter, it's still Holmgren's worst trade

Old
01-28-2013, 09:00 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Yep. By far.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:39 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

And recycling Leighton is another of Holmgren's dumb moves.

Here is Meltzer's take on LOLeighton.....

Once again....not sure how many chances Leighton is going to get to constanly prove he is NOT NHL material...

Wonder if Clement, Coatsey and JJ are going to come on here and apologize for Leighton like they did in last night's telecast....

Quote:
As for the goaltending, what can I say? Leighton did not look like an NHL goaltender last night. His reaction times were too slow, the angles weren't sufficiently covered, the rebounds went directly into the slot. In his defense, it should be added that there were a couple deflections and numerous coverage breakdowns in front of him.

The Flyers weren't going to win regardless of the goaltending because they were outplayed in every facet of the game. But Leighton did very little to give the team a chance to regain its equilibrium. Even his saves looked awkward and off-balance; hardly something to inspire confidence in his teammates that he could erase defensive mistakes.

In fairness to Leighton, the conditions going into the game were far from ideal for him. He was going to need his fair share of help, especially in the early going of the game. Last night was his first game action of any kind since his final AHL start (April 14, 2012) of last season, first NHL game since a disastrous appearance in Game 6 of the 2011 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against Buffalo and first NHL regular season game since Dec. 20, 2010 (a 7-4 win over Los Angeles).

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...cuses/45/48846

Old
01-28-2013, 09:42 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Flyers probably would've used it on Daultan Leveille, lol

But still a bad trade

Old
01-28-2013, 09:44 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Flyers probably would've used it on Daultan Leveille, lol
I think they would have taken Carlson..b/c they were really looking at D in that draft..hence getting Eminger who they thought was a better option being that he was still young and a bit more seasoned and looked like Larry Robinson against the Flyers in the playoffs to Holmgren's eyes

Old
01-28-2013, 09:46 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I think they would have taken Carlson..b/c they were really looking at D in that draft..hence getting Eminger who they thought was a better option being that he was still young and a bit more seasoned and looked like Larry Robinson against the Flyers in the playoffs to Holmgren's eyes
It was a joke, the flyers are very good at drafting late in the first, almost always forwards but still. They did take Sbisa earlier so they may not have drafted another D. We'll never know

Old
01-28-2013, 09:57 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
It was a joke, the flyers are very good at drafting late in the first, almost always forwards but still. They did take Sbisa earlier so they may not have drafted another D. We'll never know
I know it was a joke....Holmgren's decision to trade that lower 1st round pick for Eminger was no joke that is for sure.

I remember when they announced it..I flipped and Carlson and Markstrom were specifically players that were ranked high and still on the board that I wanted them to get.

Flyers better start focusing on D in the drafts and developing them properly. I remember Holmgren saying some nonesense about that pick being like a second round pick anyway and that it was such a coup to get a first rounder in Eminger...

Voynov and Schultz were also 2nd rounders in that draft....

Old
01-28-2013, 01:34 PM
kicksave27

Leighton is just as bad as I remember, except they don't the top 4 from 3 years ago to make up for him

Old
01-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Broad st phantom

Roaming the main boards and looking at the how bad bryz has played posts reminds how much these people put more time on HF then they do watching actual hockey.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
People on the Main Boards keep listing Bryz as a cause for the Flyers slow start. People on the Main Boards shouldn't talk about things they don't know stuff about.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:00 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad st phantom View Post
Roaming the main boards and looking at the how bad bryz has played posts reminds how much these people put more time on HF then they do watching actual hockey.

don't get me started. most posters won't change their tune about bryz or L. Schenn until after they have a full season and they can look at their stats and form an opinion over the off-season

i seriously think most posters on here only know about their team/don't pay attention to anything outside of what impacts their teams. that's the main reason we see so many outrageous proposals and statement on the main boards, imo.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:06 PM
FlyersFan61290

on a somewhat related note. bryz has let in 11 goals in 5 games so far. of those 11 goals, 3 were deflections of our own guys, 1 was penalty shot and at least one more was a breakaway. how many ES have been scored on him? i realize at least two of the deflections were pp goals so these numbers won't add up.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:08 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
People on the Main Boards keep listing Bryz as a cause for the Flyers slow start. People on the Main Boards shouldn't talk about things they don't know stuff about.
The main boards would average 15 posts a day if this were the case.

01-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

let everybody underestimate him. hopefully every other team does what their fans do

Closed Thread