HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stastny to Buffalo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 02:29 PM
  #26
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
We have absolutely no reason to move Stastny. Unless we are getting what we need, guess what, you won't get him!! If we move Stastny, it won't be on the other teams terms. The Avs would control the situation. You wouldn't move Myers, Erhoff, Sekera, Vanek, or Pominville for him? Fine. We will keep Stastny. Just because you don't want to move those guys does not mean we will accept a crappy package of the pieces you are willing to move.
And thats fine, just thought I'd throw it out there to see where the avs stand on stastny. If they still value him highly than keep him. Was just checking to see if he was in the block

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:38 PM
  #27
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
On the other hand what would we have to add to ennis to get O'Reilly

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:39 PM
  #28
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,228
vCash: 300
No, Buffalo can afford to be patient as it is a young team and somewhat rebuilding.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:41 PM
  #29
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
On the other hand what would we have to add to ennis to get O'Reilly
Ennis does not get included in any trade with the Avalanche for O'Reilly. If there is a deal to be made, it's O'Reilly+ for Hodgson+

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:46 PM
  #30
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Ennis does not get included in any trade with the Avalanche for O'Reilly. If there is a deal to be made, it's O'Reilly+ for Hodgson+
Makes sense I guess but Hodgson and O'Reily are such similar players it would be a lateral move.

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:50 PM
  #31
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
O'Reilly, Elliott
For
Grigorenko, Sekera

?
No reason for Buffalo to do that. Grigorenko has an insanely high ceiling and could be the #1C Buffalo has desperately needed since forever (O'Reilly is good, but he does not have that kind of offensive tool set), and Sekera is not only one of our best defenders but our best contract.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:01 PM
  #32
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Makes sense I guess but Hodgson and O'Reily are such similar players it would be a lateral move.
Exactly, so why would the Avs downgrade to Ennis? Guy's insanely quick and has a lot of skill, but he's one of the smallest players in the league and isn't exactly an ideal centre for us with Duchene and Stastny already here playing the roles of "skilled offensive centres". The Avs and Sabres are not good trading partners.

Also, they aren't really the same type of player. I haven't watched as much Hodgson as I have O'Reilly, but O'Reilly is the prototypical 3rd line centre who's capable of putting up anywhere from 40-60 points provided he has wingers that can finish their chances. In my own personal opinion I think they both have the same ceiling offensively, but O'Reilly is far superious defensively and leadership wise

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:03 PM
  #33
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Exactly, so why would the Avs downgrade to Ennis? Guy's insanely quick and has a lot of skill, but he's one of the smallest players in the league and isn't exactly an ideal centre for us with Duchene and Stastny already here playing the roles of "skilled offensive centres". The Avs and Sabres are not good trading partners.

Also, they aren't really the same type of player. I haven't watched as much Hodgson as I have O'Reilly, but O'Reilly is the prototypical 3rd line centre who's capable of putting up anywhere from 40-60 points provided he has wingers that can finish their chances. In my own personal opinion I think they both have the same ceiling offensively, but O'Reilly is far superious defensively and leadership wise
Ennis was left wing until the end of last year and would probably shift back if on colorado

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:05 PM
  #34
McTank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,820
vCash: 500
Also, realisticly I don't know a lot about the avs financial situation but I understand they don't have gobs of cash just lying around. How big of an offer sheet would it take for them to let O'Rielly walk? If he signed a 7 year/42 million dollar deal would they match?

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:05 PM
  #35
IWantSakicAsMyGM
Registered User
 
IWantSakicAsMyGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,821
vCash: 500
I think the only trade is Jason Pominville to the Avs in exchange for Chuck Kobasew and picks. Then the Sabres will have enough money to sign their RFAs.

Obviously, this makes the most sense financially.


IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:07 PM
  #36
Crisp Breakout
Registered User
 
Crisp Breakout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Also, realisticly I don't know a lot about the avs financial situation but I understand they don't have gobs of cash just lying around. How big of an offer sheet would it take for them to let O'Rielly walk? If he signed a 7 year/42 million dollar deal would they match?
I think it's safe to say that the Avalanche wouldn't be prepared to give Ryan O'Reilly 6 million a year... I pity the team that offers him that.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:09 PM
  #37
dahrougem2
Registered User
 
dahrougem2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Also, realisticly I don't know a lot about the avs financial situation but I understand they don't have gobs of cash just lying around. How big of an offer sheet would it take for them to let O'Rielly walk? If he signed a 7 year/42 million dollar deal would they match?
Ennis is naturally a centre though, he was drafted as one and he has just recently shifted to left wing. The Avs financial situation is not a problem in the least, we have something ridiculous like 15 million dollars in cap space. And that kind of offer sheet? The Avs likely wouldn't match but that's a ridiculous offer even for someone like O'Reilly, and you better believe that if the Sabres did that, you can kiss goodbye to players like Cody Hodgson and Marcus Foligno because the Avs would come right back and do the same thing to them.

Also, I don't think the Sabres are fans of offer sheets seeing as how they saw what the Oilers did to them with Vanek, they probably don't want to go through that again with a different team

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:09 PM
  #38
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART
 
Blitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
OK, OP - I am going try to address this from a Colorado Point of view... (Avs fans, I apologize if I am way off-base)

For starters If the Avs were able to get RoR to re-sign thereby making Paul Stastny available, Buffalo would definitely need to add value to that package... While Stastny's high cap hit hurts his value a little this is still brutal value from COL POV.

On top of that if we are taking on Stastny's $6.6M cap hit for the next 2yrs. we absolutely need to be clearing some salary off next years books (Leo is UFA - meaning he will need to be replace via UFA/promotion), especially with the cap dropping... not a cap-dump per say, but we cant eat that much coming back past this season IMO.

I would think any deal with COL is going to involve a Defensive partner for EJ - perhaps Reggie Sekera fits that bill? He also has the added attraction of a $2.75M cap hit and a front-loaded contract.

The Avs are also pretty weak up the middle depth wise. If they decided to trade Stastny, the would really only have Duchene, and RoR (once signed) as proven NHL top-6ers - Hishon might be ready to slot in as a #3C, but Colorado is likely gonna want a near-ready centreman back... I would not even entertain Grigo or CoHo, and Adam is not likely that appealing from an Avs POV, which leave Girgensons.

While I would not jump at the idea of dealing Zemgus, if the return is a top-6 centreman such as Stastny I could definitely be persuaded.

If I am Buffalo, I would also likely be inclined to try and get a guy like Cody McCormick thrown into the deal to alleviate a bit more of that $6.6M Stastny cap-hit for this year and next. Perhaps he may draw some interest with the injury to Downie, and could easily replace Bordeleau or McLeod as a semi-offensive depth guy.

To

D Reggie Sekera ($2.75M - UFA 2015-16)
C Zemgus Girgensons ($1.4M - RFA 2015-16)
C/W Cody McCormick ($1.2M - UFA 2014-15)

To

C Paul Stastny ($6.6M - UFA 2014-15)
2013 3rd RND pick

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:13 PM
  #39
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

To

D Reggie Sekera ($2.75M - UFA 2015-16)
C Zemgus Girgensons ($1.4M - RFA 2015-16)
C/W Cody McCormick ($1.2M - UFA 2014-15)

To

C Paul Stastny ($6.6M - UFA 2014-15)
2013 3rd RND pick
You mean for O'reilly, right?

Why the heck would the Sabres give up that package for 2 years of Stastny????


That's a really good package... that's close to what LA paid for a decade of Mike Richards... close to what Car paid for Jordan Staal...

and you are offering it for Stastny?

Sekera and Girgensons is a hefty package... holy cow

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:18 PM
  #40
IWantSakicAsMyGM
Registered User
 
IWantSakicAsMyGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Also, realisticly I don't know a lot about the avs financial situation but I understand they don't have gobs of cash just lying around. How big of an offer sheet would it take for them to let O'Rielly walk? If he signed a 7 year/42 million dollar deal would they match?
The Avs aren't cash strapped. After the 04-05 lockout, the Avs were forced to let guys like Adam Foote and Peter Forsberg walk because the of the new salary cap. Since that CBA only lasted for 7 years, the Avs stayed near the salary cap floor to greatly reduce the chance that they would end up in that same position.

Now, next season when the salary cap drops, they'll still have $17 million in cap space with 19 players under contract. Hejduk will likely retire, Kobasew will likely be let go, and the Avs will have a bunch of cap space to sign the big free agents that the other teams can't afford. $6.5 million a year each to Perry and Getzlaf and there is still $4 million in cap space. Unlikely, I know, but I can dream.

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:29 PM
  #41
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART
 
Blitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
You mean for O'reilly, right?

Why the heck would the Sabres give up that package for 2 years of Stastny????


That's a really good package... that's close to what LA paid for a decade of Mike Richards... close to what Car paid for Jordan Staal...

and you are offering it for Stastny?

Sekera and Girgensons is a hefty package... holy cow
Why the heck would Colorado trade either Stastny or RoR for market value? It's gonna be an overpayment for either of them - I just can't see the Avs being convinced to deal O'Reilly... period.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:34 PM
  #42
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor
 
thefifagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Why the heck would Colorado trade either Stastny or RoR for market value? It's gonna be an overpayment for either of them - I just can't see the Avs being convinced to deal O'Reilly... period.
That's not overpayment for Stastny, that's blasphemy. Just completely absurd from a Buffalo POV.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:35 PM
  #43
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Why the heck would Colorado trade either Stastny or RoR for market value? It's gonna be an overpayment for either of them - I just can't see the Avs being convinced to deal O'Reilly... period.
Why in the world would Buffalo trade a shutdown defensmen just entering his prime on arguably the best none ELC contract in the NHL AND a recent high 1st round pick... for 2 years of Stastny?

Derek Roy had 2 years remaining, and he returned Ott and Pardy... why would the Sabres treat Stastny like he has 10x the trade value of Derek Roy?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:12 PM
  #44
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
If I am Buffalo, I would also likely be inclined to try and get a guy like Cody McCormick thrown into the deal to alleviate a bit more of that $6.6M Stastny cap-hit for this year and next. Perhaps he may draw some interest with the injury to Downie, and could easily replace Bordeleau or McLeod as a semi-offensive depth guy.

To

D Reggie Sekera ($2.75M - UFA 2015-16)
C Zemgus Girgensons ($1.4M - RFA 2015-16)
C/W Cody McCormick ($1.2M - UFA 2014-15)

To

C Paul Stastny ($6.6M - UFA 2014-15)
2013 3rd RND pick
First off---its Andrei Sekera---Not Reggie.

As a buffalo fan i honestly dont have an issue with this trade and would do it.

Buffalo has a ton of Dmen waiting in the wings to come in and play so they need to move some Dmen now. They have 2 sitting out every game and 4 others in AHL/JRS/College who would play next year if not this year.

Stasny after 2013-2014 (next year) would then be a UFA. Buffalo would have no problem in him walking. They have their core Centers who they will want to keep in Ennis Hodgson and Grigorenko. With Stasney, Ennis can move to a wing. If they keep Stasny then they move Ennis or Hodgson for a winger.

what Buffalo doesnt want is a long contract on what they acquire at Center. If they are in a playoff hunt they would be players if Getzlaf were on the table.

if they go for a player like Getzlaf in the offseason for a long term contract then they will need to trade Hodgson or Ennis for a winger.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:19 PM
  #45
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
First off---its Andrei Sekera---Not Reggie.

As a buffalo fan i honestly dont have an issue with this trade and would do it.

Buffalo has a ton of Dmen waiting in the wings to come in and play so they need to move some Dmen now. They have 2 sitting out every game and 4 others in AHL/JRS/College who would play next year if not this year.

Stasny after 2013-2014 (next year) would then be a UFA. Buffalo would have no problem in him walking. They have their core Centers who they will want to keep in Ennis Hodgson and Grigorenko. With Stasney, Ennis can move to a wing. If they keep Stasny then they move Ennis or Hodgson for a winger.

what Buffalo doesnt want is a long contract on what they acquire at Center. If they are in a playoff hunt they would be players if Getzlaf were on the table.

if they go for a player like Getzlaf in the offseason for a long term contract then they will need to trade Hodgson or Ennis for a winger.
(first name spelled Andrej)
Rej, or Reggie are nicknames used by coaches/teammates

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:21 PM
  #46
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Ron C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,236
vCash: 356
We could offer sheet O'Reilly. A 5yr/33.625M deal would cost a 1st,2nd and 3rd.

The question is does Colorado match?

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:26 PM
  #47
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Why in the world would Buffalo trade a shutdown defensmen just entering his prime on arguably the best none ELC contract in the NHL AND a recent high 1st round pick... for 2 years of Stastny?

Derek Roy had 2 years remaining, and he returned Ott and Pardy... why would the Sabres treat Stastny like he has 10x the trade value of Derek Roy?
Why????

Because Buffalo has a ton of NHL ready Dmen waiting to come up. Besides Weber and Brennen, they have McNabb, Pysak, McCabe (captain of USA world junior championship team) who could step in and play at the NHL level now.

They have a very young Center core in Ennis, Hodgson, and Grigorenko. Stasny would provide leadership for the short term as these players develop. They are all very young.

Stasny gives a veteran leadership pressence.

Girgenson is tradeable. Grigorenko is not. As I said above they would rather have him as a LW than a center because he would be stuck behind the top 3 on their team.

In the short term future of the Sabres they will havea RW coming to play for them next year in Arima coming from finland. Ennis could play LW.

Their lineup could be

Vanek-Hodgson-Pommenville
Stafford-Stasny-Foligno
Armia-Grigorenko-Ennis.

Then they have Leino sitting there as well. If he doesnt do much this year he will likely be their mulligan for next season.

If I recall correctly besides Stasny, Vanek and Pommenville will be UFAs after 2013-14 season.

they could also kick the tires on Perry or Getzlaff.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:29 PM
  #48
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
We could offer sheet O'Reilly. A 5yr/33.625M deal would cost a 1st,2nd and 3rd.

The question is does Colorado match?
O'reilly isnt worth that. He is not a #1 nor a potential #1 center. This will throw Buffalos contract structure into he!! because then how much with Ennis, Hodgson, or Grigs be worth???

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:45 PM
  #49
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor
 
thefifagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
O'reilly isnt worth that. He is not a #1 nor a potential #1 center. This will throw Buffalos contract structure into he!! because then how much with Ennis, Hodgson, or Grigs be worth???
I'd much have O'Reilly locked up for 5 years at 6.6 than Stastny at 6.6 for 3 less years. O'Reilly is exactly what the Sabres need, fits right into our core, and in this proposed scenario we don't have to trade our best defenseman on a sweetheart contract (Sekera) to get him.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:46 PM
  #50
Sergei Shirokov
Registered User
 
Sergei Shirokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Makes sense I guess but Hodgson and O'Reily are such similar players it would be a lateral move.
I don't think they are that similar. Maybe in mobility, aside from that Cody doesn't bring the grit or defensive game O'Rielly does. And probably has a better pure offensive instincts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
You mean for O'reilly, right?

Why the heck would the Sabres give up that package for 2 years of Stastny????


That's a really good package... that's close to what LA paid for a decade of Mike Richards... close to what Car paid for Jordan Staal...

and you are offering it for Stastny?

Sekera and Girgensons is a hefty package... holy cow
I understand Sekera is a very valuable defenseman.

But is this package really comparable to Voracek and Couturier? Or Schenn and Simmonds.

I mean those are pretty valuable deals, I don't think Statsny could quite swing something like that.

I think that deal is even for Stastny. When you look at the comparable (Jordan Staal) He got a good roster player, then a high pick & prospect. It's fairly comparable. Cause in this deal, while the roster player might be more valuable, the prospect isn't quite as good IMO, and then you get McCormick not another good prospect like Dumoulin.

Perhaps i'm off base so don't flame too hard if I am but from and outsiders POV it seems fairly close.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.