HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have the Canucks 100% Committed to Schneider?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2013, 02:44 PM
  #51
blendini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
Schneider becomes a UFA the year after. I'd say that would be a scarier proposition than a potential trade demand.



If you didn't notice that Luongo fixed the problem of falling on his stomach last season, and his form was as good as it's ever been except for his leg strength holding the post, which is the only thing Schneider is better at hands down, then maybe you didn't watch the games.
But will he ever change his ball breaking habit of letting in a tie breaker or go ahead goal in the last few seconds of a period?

blendini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:02 AM
  #52
sunnyvale420
Registered User
 
sunnyvale420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
Schnieder is just the stop gap for Lack, there I said it

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 05:02 AM
  #53
AlexandreBurrows
Registered User
 
AlexandreBurrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
Schneider becomes a UFA the year after. I'd say that would be a scarier proposition than a potential trade demand.



If you didn't notice that Luongo fixed the problem of falling on his stomach last season, and his form was as good as it's ever been except for his leg strength holding the post, which is the only thing Schneider is better at hands down, then maybe you didn't watch the games.
So why did Vigneault give Schneids the number 1 last year, Gillis sign his and promise him number 1, and Luongo agree to do what's best for the team and allow a trade? So Vigneault, Schneid, Gillis and Luongo, all realise think Schneid is better now and better for the team but they are all wrong and you are right. Get a grip.

AlexandreBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:17 AM
  #54
Hammer79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandreBurrows View Post
So why did Vigneault give Schneids the number 1 last year
Did he? He pretty much played them as a 1A/1B last year. Luongo started the Kings series, but he was hardly the reason they lost those two games. No Daniel, Kesler playing hurt and Bitz's stupid 5 min major had a lot more to do with it. Schneider went in when the series was 0-2 heading back to LA. He got games for playoff experience after the series was already pretty much a write-off.

Quote:
, Gillis sign his and promise him number 1
I don't remember Gillis ever explicitly promising Schneider the #1. He's often said 'Why can't I have two good goalies?' He re-signed him, yes, to a short 3 year deal. If he was guaranteed the starter job, why was his contract so short?

Quote:
, and Luongo agree to do what's best for the team and allow a trade?
Because he wants #1 ice time, but doesn't want to stand in Schneider's way. Schneider was on the trade block for two years and MG didn't get the offer he wanted. If Luongo really wanted out of Vancouver to play in Florida, he wouldn't have signed a 12 year deal. Luongo just gave MG options besides trading Schneider. He could just hold to his NMC and force the issue, but he hasn't.

Quote:
So Vigneault, Schneid, Gillis and Luongo, all realize think Schneid is better now and better for the team but they are all wrong and you are right. Get a grip.
I don't think any of them think he's necessarily better now, just that he's ready to be a starter. The potential trade offers for Schneider has obviously not been to MG's liking. Luongo has consistently been a star player for many years now, and will continue to play at a high level for at least 5-6 more seasons. Schneider has about 70 games under his belt, had a great save % last year in a tandem with Luongo and has won one playoff game. He still has a lot to prove.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:19 PM
  #55
Fat Tony
Fire Benning
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Did he? He pretty much played them as a 1A/1B last year. Luongo started the Kings series, but he was hardly the reason they lost those two games. No Daniel, Kesler playing hurt and Bitz's stupid 5 min major had a lot more to do with it. Schneider went in when the series was 0-2 heading back to LA. He got games for playoff experience after the series was already pretty much a write-off.
Luongo wasn't the only reason. The offense dried up long before the playoffs but that doesn't excuse the 7 goals he let in over the 2 games he played.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:13 PM
  #56
Wizeman*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
As canuck fans, its perfectly normal to use 'wishful thinking' when discussing the team. Eveyr teams fans do it and at this very moment each teams threads are doing this exact same thing.

However, when discussing a TRADE, now all of a sudden it requires a team that does NOT see the Vancouver players with rose colored glasses nor does it have 'wishful thinking' towards the Canucks.

So when discussing a trade or Luongo's worth to another team, lets stick to the reality and skip the cherry picking of great aspects of his game and ignore the negative aspects of his game, age and contract. Its not helpful.

Gillis got Schneider to sign a cheap contract under the assumption he was to be the starter. Luongo knew this and demanded a trade. Its not rocket science and trying to deny it accomplishes nothing.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:51 PM
  #57
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
As canuck fans, its perfectly normal to use 'wishful thinking' when discussing the team. Eveyr teams fans do it and at this very moment each teams threads are doing this exact same thing.

However, when discussing a TRADE, now all of a sudden it requires a team that does NOT see the Vancouver players with rose colored glasses nor does it have 'wishful thinking' towards the Canucks.

So when discussing a trade or Luongo's worth to another team, lets stick to the reality and skip the cherry picking of great aspects of his game and ignore the negative aspects of his game, age and contract. Its not helpful.

Gillis got Schneider to sign a cheap contract under the assumption he was to be the starter. Luongo knew this and demanded a trade. Its not rocket science and trying to deny it accomplishes nothing.
I understand your logic, yet I wonder if it is so black and white. I wouldn't necessarily say Schneider signed a cheap contract, 4mil per season for a goalie that has never played more than 33 games per season seems very fair to both sides when assesing risk vs. reward. Gillis could have said we'd like to sign you, and you will be given every opportunity to win the starting job here next season, but you won't be handed that spot. Now, if Schneider fails to win that job, feasibly he could be traded.

If that were to happen, you then need to wonder how Lu would react. I'm not sure he would hold bitterness towards the team, hes a profesional and as a profesional he surely knows that hockey is a business. Gillis could sit down with him and say this: You've each been given a number of games to win the starting job, we believe that you have prevailed, are you still interested in playing for Vancouver? We have a deal on the table to trade Schneider, and as long as you would like to be part of our organization we'd like to have you here. Personally, I think Lu would love to stay if that situation were presented to him.

Again, I'm mainly playing devil's advocate here. I fully expect Lu to be traded. But, if Gillis has played his cards right up to this point (which I believe he has) then I'm sure he could move either goalie if he wanted to and keep the other without hurt feelings.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.