HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 03:54 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Barkov would be my choice at 3, but Drouin would be a close second.
I agree

Old
01-28-2013, 04:07 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
You don't pass on a top two overall player regardless of what you have in your system or on your team. That's ludicrous. You pick Jones 1, 2 or 3 and don't look back. You can always trade prospects for players. We have yet to see anyone but Moore from our system. No Murray, No Savard, No Erixon, No Reilly, No Goulobef....they all COULD be great. COULD be top 4 d-men. Not yet and may never be. Great to have solid prospects and depth but you don't pass on Jones because we don't have the same depth up front.

If someone else thinks the prospects are worth something you trade them for need. Period.
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 goals = chili View Post
Devils Advocate....we finish with the 3rd overall pick and Jones,MacK go 1-2.

It's a lock that we take Drouin, right?
Barkov without a doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Not really. Drouin is getting alot of press right now, but for my money he is still behind barkov at least. Personally i don't like Drouin i worry his game won't translate to the nhl. I'd rather have barkov, lindholm, or monahan first
Annnnnd this.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:43 PM
RDriesenUD

I would probably have Barkov 3rd right now.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:49 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 goals = chili View Post
Devils Advocate....we finish with the 3rd overall pick and Jones,MacK go 1-2.

It's a lock that we take Drouin, right?
i think id take Barkov, i think he's going to be better the Drouin. i think he can be as good a play maker but with more goals

Old
01-28-2013, 04:50 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
So what's to guarantee that the first three offensive players you pick rather than a guy like Jones improve the CBJ and their scoring woes? There isn't one. You take the BPA and move on. Offense isn't generated from the guys playing LW, C, RW...it takes 5 skaters to be successful on the ice. This team has sucked at transition for a decade. we're filling that spot now. You can fill in with forwards that achieve your designed team goals but there is no guarantee that whomever is picked at 1, 2 or 3 will be a great player. Odds remain the same, they've never played in the NHL and you don't know how an 18 year old will turn out. If you believe Jones is the best player, you take him.

Personally I am hoping for McKinnon and the big Russian kid (Nichyushin ???) after that, I really don't care.

Taking the chance on 3 out of the 4 is better then having none at all. you pass on BPA and move on.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:51 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
You don't pass on a top two overall player regardless of what you have in your system or on your team. That's ludicrous. You pick Jones 1, 2 or 3 and don't look back. You can always trade prospects for players. We have yet to see anyone but Moore from our system. No Murray, No Savard, No Erixon, No Reilly, No Goulobef....they all COULD be great. COULD be top 4 d-men. Not yet and may never be. Great to have solid prospects and depth but you don't pass on Jones because we don't have the same depth up front.

If someone else thinks the prospects are worth something you trade them for need. Period.
yeah you pass on them all day long when you're system is loaded at their position and you're not scoring and dont have scoring in the system, all day every day twice on the weekends

Old
01-28-2013, 04:53 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
The fact that Jones is ranked higher than Mackinnon in the rankings is all I need when Mackinnon is a notch above the rest.
and yet if people doing thoese rankings knew what they were talking about they would be working for NHL GMs not blogging

Old
01-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Not really. Drouin is getting alot of press right now, but for my money he is still behind barkov at least. Personally i don't like Drouin i worry his game won't translate to the nhl. I'd rather have barkov, lindholm, or monahan first
If there is any concern that Drouin's offense won't translate to the NHL, then pass on him. But if you think it does, then you cannot pass on him.

But then, I find "versatility" one of the most hideously overrated things in hockey.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
Taking the chance on 3 out of the 4 is better then having none at all. you pass on BPA and move on.
Point it moot. The odds of having 3 of the top 4 picks are negligible at best. And if a team did, no GM would pass on Jones regardless of what they MIGHT have in the system. Jones doesn't drop beyond pick #3 for any team in the NHL. Your way of thinking is very short sighted and flawed. When you are a little older I believe you'll start to recognize why so many differ in opinion with you. I respect your enthusiasm and desire to strengthen the offense but can't agree with your opinion.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

if somehow we get 2 or 3 of top 4 then I hope we go MacKinnon, Jones, and Barkov that order...

Jones/Murray top pairing for the next 8 to 10 years... *Drool*

Old
01-28-2013, 05:20 PM
CBJ Scruffy

Quote:
and yet if people doing thoese rankings knew what they were talking about they would be working for NHL GMs not blogging
Woah, woah, wait a minute... Which NHL GM do you work for then?

The concept of not taking the BPA seems ridiculous to me, especially at that point in the draft. Taking the BPA adds more to the overall value of your team, what kind of GM would take a forward who is consensus not as good as another player on the board? if they were close to on par, then there's room for interpretation, but people who scout players as their jobs all seem to figure Jones is on a different level right now, whether they are currently in an NHL position or not.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Scruffy View Post
Woah, woah, wait a minute... Which NHL GM do you work for then?

The concept of not taking the BPA seems ridiculous to me, especially at that point in the draft. Taking the BPA adds more to the overall value of your team, what kind of GM would take a forward who is consensus not as good as another player on the board? if they were close to on par, then there's room for interpretation, but people who scout players as their jobs all seem to figure Jones is on a different level right now, whether they are currently in an NHL position or not.
Agreed. Especially when the two players in question are a center and a d-man. Those are the toughest types of players to get via other means. If you have a chance to draft a franchise center or d-man, you do it, no matter what your team needs.

If we get the #1 pick, we listen to our scouts and make a call between the best one of the two.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
I don't mean to get personal, but didn't you just get into hockey/hockey prospects? I don't know if you're in a position to question such people. A guy like Bob Mackenzie is a sounding board for NHL scouts. Craig Button, as controversial as his opinion may sometimes be, has been an NHL executive and typically puts out lists that are closer to how the draft actually pans out than most pre-draft mocks. Do you know what you're talking about? I like your enthusiasm to learn and understand the game, but stat watching/HFboards/etc can be a disgusting habit when abused.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:41 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
if somehow we get 2 or 3 of top 4 then I hope we go MacKinnon, Jones, and Barkov that order...

Jones/Murray top pairing for the next 8 to 10 years... *Drool*

That is the exact reason why I want Jones. Even at 1, we have the potential to have a franchise PAIR of Dmen.
We canpackage savard/erixon/wiz/Brassard for legit top 6 center, hell if the cards fall wrong(nyr and La go deep into he playoffs) we can throw those 2 picks in a package and get someone special. But like I said before it's ALL going to depend on where the picks are, and how JD SH CP and TW have the players ranked. And I bet all eyes are on Mackinnon. The kid just has entirely to much hype.

Edit: not saying he's not special just that there's no way he wont go #1

Old
01-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Im a Sens fan but starting to follow the Jackets abit due to the Foligno trade... Who's 1st round picks do you guys have this year other than your own?

Rangers? and?

Old
01-28-2013, 07:47 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Im a Sens fan but starting to follow the Jackets abit due to the Foligno trade... Who's 1st round picks do you guys have this year other than your own?

Rangers? and?
LA Kings.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

I've made my thoughts known: If we have the option, it has to be Nathan MacKinnon or Seth Jones. If one of them is gone, you take the other. The Nashville Predators have been a very competitive team for the last handful of years, and it was built on the backs of Shea Weber and Ryan Suter. They've had such superstar forwards as Patrick Hornqvist, Martin Erat, and David Legwand.

Take that in contrast to the New York Islanders, who have drafted skilled forward after skilled forward at/near the top of the draft.

I'm not saying you can't win with talented forwards, but there is something to be said for having prospect depth at any given position. I mentioned that Seth Jones is a Shea Weber type of player - imagine he and Ryan Murray bolstering our defense for the next 10 years. That makes us not only immediately better, but immensely better, even in the long term. And that's on the assumption that we either A) decide he's the best player at the draft and take him first, or B), have landed the #2 pick and seen MacKinnon go first. There's no way at this point that Seth Jones falls past #2 (barring injury or epic collapse). If we're in a position to take him, I don't see how you don't. Especially with two more first round picks to select skilled forwards.

Overthinking your prospect depth or overvaluing what you have will cripple a franchise. Yes, we have great depth on our future blueline, but in that depth we only have one (maybe two) first pairing players.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:59 PM
CBJFan19*

5 on 3 PP 0 points and people still think Seth Jones is an option LOL!

Old
01-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
you're not gonna change ppls minds man...

Old
01-28-2013, 09:09 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
you're not gonna change ppls minds man...
thats ok keep supporting a losing team then. gotta score to win, Seth Jones doesn't make the team any better, just holds them back

Old
01-28-2013, 09:10 PM
3 goals = chili

Send a message via Skype™ to 3 goals = chili
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
[/B]
That is the exact reason why I want Jones. Even at 1, we have the potential to have a franchise PAIR of Dmen.
We can package savard/erixon/wiz/Brassard for legit top 6 center, hell if the cards fall wrong(nyr and La go deep into he playoffs) we can throw those 2 picks in a package and get someone special. But like I said before it's ALL going to depend on where the picks are, and how JD SH CP and TW have the players ranked. And I bet all eyes are on Mackinnon. The kid just has entirely to much hype.

Edit: not saying he's not special just that there's no way he wont go #1
I think we can take Jones at 1 and then move one of Savard, Erixon, Wiz, Brass, the other 2 1sts for a top 6 scorer. Hell you may be able to move parts of those pieces for two scorers...

Old
01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
thats ok keep supporting a losing team then. gotta score to win, Seth Jones doesn't make the team any better, just holds them back
you got to have pieces to make the whole...just bringing in a MacKinnon/Barkov alone won't do it...where as the defense is starting to round out and another big piece we can get that over with and focus on other needs....

as said above we get Jones, we have other pieces to then trade for those offensive pieces...its not an either or situation...we have 3 picks to improve the TEAM...

and right now we're in 7th in the West...so that means we get none of the three...if it holds... (not that it will)

Old
01-28-2013, 09:26 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:
you got to have pieces to make the whole...just bringing in a MacKinnon/Barkov alone won't do it...where as the defense is starting to round out and another big piece we can get that over with and focus on other needs....

as said above we get Jones, we have other pieces to then trade for those offensive pieces...its not an either or situation...we have 3 picks to improve the TEAM...

and right now we're in 7th in the West...so that means we get none of the three...if it holds... (not that it will)

why trade for 1 when you can just get 3 ? makes no sense. Why not just Draft Jones then trade him for scoring then if he's half as great as people here think he is? we should be able to get Sidney Crosby AND Malkin for Jones.
sorry theres absolutley no possible way Jones improves the team, none, zero, ziltch, zip, nadda.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
why trade for 1 when you can just get 3 ? makes no sense. Why not just Draft Jones then trade him for scoring then if he's half as great as people here think he is? we should be able to get Sidney Crosby AND Malkin for Jones.
sorry theres absolutley no possible way Jones improves the team, none, zero, ziltch, zip, nadda.
you're either trolling or totally missing the point....

Old
01-28-2013, 09:43 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Yep.. I take Seth Jones

Quote:
every day of the week, he solidifies the defense & and allows everyone else to be more aggressive, makes your goalie better, maker the PP better, PK better, coaches better.

Did I mention we would be a better team with Jones & Murray on the 1st pairing?

Wouldn't mind a huge influx of offense, & I generally agree that we lack snipers especially RW power forwards, but I would like to build a team the way the Preds did & opposite of what we did the first decade.

Closed Thread