HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 03:57 PM
BloFan4Life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
IMO, he is the most creative offensive player on our roster. While I like him better at center I like him as a winger as well. Any line Ennis is on generates chances. Grigorenko (and everyone outside of VHP) need s jump start to offensive creativity and confidence.

Let Grigo play with someone that is offensively creative and aggressive and I think he makes leaps and bounds in his offensive game.
Grigs should be the one that is offensively creative and aggressive. He shouldn't rely on someone to be that role. If he can't do this, then he isn't ready to play in the big leagues.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:57 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Sweet baby Jesus, Ennis (38.2%) and Stafford (46.4%) are being used as defensive players based on their zone starts. Drew is a decent two-way player, but for those two to be relied upon in defensive roles tell you that this coach seems to be clueless about how to deploy his players, or the GM has built a team of mismatched parts, or some combination of both.
The question is who else? VHP have been pretty close to garbage in their own end, with Vanek at +1, Poms at -1, and Hodgson at even despite combining for 7 ES goals. Grigorenko's in his first 5 NHL games and even if he's looked responisble defensively, giving him the bulk of the defensive zone draws is foolhardy at best. The only line left is the 4th line which includes Scott and Ellis who are only playing about 5 minutes a game.

Stafford and Fogilno aren't exactly slouches defensively (I think Stafford's been playing pretty good hockey without the results, myself), and Vanek and Pominville have been the only line going offensively.

I think this is just a consequence of being a young team (and particularly with very young/inexperienced centermen). Even Ennis has had less than a full season at center. It's gonna be a learn as you go kind of season.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Nibbler

Quote:
IMO, he is the most creative offensive player on our roster. While I like him better at center I like him as a winger as well. Any line Ennis is on generates chances. Grigorenko (and everyone outside of VHP) need s jump start to offensive creativity and confidence.

Let Grigo play with someone that is offensively creative and aggressive and I think he makes leaps and bounds in his offensive game.
Ennis + Grigorenko is drool-worthy

Old
01-28-2013, 04:00 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
If the Sabres decide to keep Grigorenko up and start his rookie contract, would they be able to send him to Rochester at any point then during the rest of the season ?
There may be two ways, one of which needs league approval and the other I am just guessing on.

The first way, which needs approval from the NHL, would be a conditioning stint.
If they kept him but didn't play him for a long period of time (which is stupid IMO), they could send him to the AHL on a conditioning stint with commissioner approval.
A conditioning stint cannot last longer than 14 days, IIRC.

The second option is theoretical and would be if they kept him and missed the playoffs, they may be able to assign him to the AHL.
You can't assign a player back to major junior after the NHL trade deadline, so that option would be off the table.
It's theoretical because I am not aware of it ever happening, which probably means it is not allowed.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:03 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Grigs should be the one that is offensively creative and aggressive. He shouldn't rely on someone to be that role. If he can't do this, then he isn't ready to play in the big leagues.
He is 18 and insanely gifted. He is on the border of being too naturally talented for the AHL / Juniors and too young for top 6 center NHL respectability.

Having him play on a line with a young gifted offensive player like Ennis (IMO) would bridge the gap quickly.

For the record I think Grigo has more natural offensive talent than anyone on the roster. But, because of his age, he needs someone to help him actualize it at such a young age.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:02 PM
heartsabres*

I am tired of the "he is 18 crap"

What are these guys excuses? Oh wait, they got points
http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/playe...l-players.html

Old
01-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post

Yeah..let's compare him to some of the best players to ever play the game

Also, he has played 4 games (not counting his 4th game where he was benched) so he still has a lot of time to get points if he stays. How is fair to compare his production against 18 year olds that played a full season?

Last edited by Fire Lindy: 01-28-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 05:16 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
Yeah..let's compare him to some of the best players to ever play the game

Also, he has played 4 games (not counting his 4th game where he was benched) so he still has a lot of time to get points if he stays. How is fair to compare his production against 18 year olds that played a full season?
NICE!!! THE BEST RIGHT LIKE GANGER???? CARSON??? BELLOWS???? CARPENTER??? DAIGLE???? should I keep going with the list off all time greats????
Yes lets not count the one game where he was benched because that was Ruff´s fault not Grigs since he was producing...

You sound like a homer.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
NICE!!! THE BEST RIGHT LIKE GANGER???? CARSON??? BELLOWS???? CARPENTER??? DAIGLE???? should I keep going with the list off all time greats????
You sound like a homer.
Does that change the fact that he's only played 4 games? Stamkos was pointless through 7. And Grigs wasn't benched because he wasn't producing..the explanation has been posted many times, but go ahead and count it as 5 games, it doesn't change anything.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:20 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:

Hilarious

Or were you seriously comparing him to some of the most talented players ever to play the game as a means to say he is no good if he can't be like them at 18.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:22 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Hilarious

Or were you seriously comparing him to some of the most talented players ever to play the game as a means to say he is no good if he can't be like them at 18.
Do you guys even read the list or just see Gretzky? Hilarious how you think Daigle is most talented or was it Ganger you were thinking of no wait Chris Gratton thats it, thats it! hmmm, think you don´t know those guys or wait Jimmy Carson is there for sure that really makes it the all time greats!

You ever think I was comparing him to the not so greats on the list. I guess I left my homer glasses at home.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Do you guys even read the list or just see Gretzky? Hilarious how you think Daigle is most talented or was it Ganger you were thinking of no wait Chris Gratton thats it, thats it!
It's been 5 games, obviously if he goes the full 48 without scoring a point, we have reason to worry don't jump off a bridge yet son

Old
01-28-2013, 05:24 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Do you guys even read the list or just see Gretzky? Hilarious how you think Daigle is most talented or was it Ganger you were thinking of no wait Chris Gratton thats it, thats it!
Your list is based on a full season. Get back to me on Grigorenko then.

Or make the same list based on those players first 5 games (even that would be relatively useless at such a small sample size, probably some real gems scored a goal or two in their first 5 games.)

Old
01-28-2013, 05:28 PM
heartsabres*

I don´t have a problem with Grigs, you guys seem to have a problem interpreting a post. All I said was I am tired of the "he is 18 crap" we all know he was 18 there is 100 18 year olds before him and will be after him.

Then you start complaining about how Daigle and Ganger are all time greats...it is your blanket statement that the list is all time greats.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Do you guys even read the list or just see Gretzky? Hilarious how you think Daigle is most talented or was it Ganger you were thinking of no wait Chris Gratton thats it, thats it! hmmm, think you don´t know those guys or wait Jimmy Carson is there for sure that really makes it the all time greats!

You ever think I was comparing him to the not so greats on the list. I guess I left my homer glasses at home.
How about you look at that list and see all the 18 year olds that didn't put up great rookie seasons and became great players?

Old
01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Yes lets not count the one game where he was benched because that was Ruff´s fault not Grigs since he was producing...

You sound like a homer.
ok here is where I started to get it

good show

Old
01-28-2013, 05:32 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
How about you look at that list and see all the 18 year olds that didn't put up great rookie seasons and became great players?
Sure but what does that have to do with my point?

Old
01-28-2013, 05:33 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Sure but what does that have to do with my point?
I don't really know what your point is.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:36 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
I don't really know what your point is.
so you don´t read so well.....(not to mention your counter posting to my point without even knowing what it is???lol)
FOR THE THIRD TIME....

People should stop using the excuse that he is 18 every time someone says something negative the sabres fans get defensive and say he is only 18. Look through the posts....he is only 18 has been said over 100 times. If someone uses the excuse that "he is only 18" then they are admitting indirectly without knowing it that if that is the reason for his struggles is that he is not ready.

Last edited by heartsabres*: 01-28-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 05:48 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
so you don´t read so well.....(not to mention your counter posting to my point without even knowing what it is???lol)

FOR THE THIRD TIME....

People should stop using the excuse that he is 18 every time someone says something negative the sabres fans get defensive and say he is only 18. Look through the posts....he is only 18 has been said over 100 times. If someone uses the excuse that "he is only 18" then they are admitting indirectly without knowing it that if that is the reason for his struggles is that he is not ready.

It's not easy to jump into the NHL as an 18 year old and start producing. Especially when your coach tells you to play defence first. The points will come. He probably should have had at least two points by now (Ott play vs. Phl and great save on him vs. Was) and is getting better each game he has played. A lot of those players on the list piled up points in the 80's. The ones from recently are pretty impressive (minus Connolly of course!). Give him the full season and I'm quite sure he'll be on the list.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:49 PM
boots electric

he's only 18 guys

Old
01-28-2013, 05:49 PM

Every rookie whether 18 or 22 has an adjustment period. It takes awhile to figure out the NHL.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
he's only 18 guys
O rly??

Old
01-28-2013, 05:55 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Every rookie whether 18 or 22 has an adjustment period. It takes awhile to figure out the NHL.
So your saying he is 22?

Old
01-28-2013, 05:59 PM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots electric View Post
he's only 18 guys

Closed Thread