HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
on a somewhat related note. bryz has let in 11 goals in 5 games so far. of those 11 goals, 3 were deflections of our own guys, 1 was penalty shot and at least one more was a breakaway. how many ES have been scored on him? i realize at least two of the deflections were pp goals so these numbers won't add up.
It's low. if my mental math based on recollection is right, a very solid majority of his goals against have come on the PK. Granted, he's always been weak on the PK but it doesn't help that the team has been undisciplined, while the refs have been whistling anything and everything.

01-28-2013, 05:18 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

As I stated earlier, Bryz is the least of our problems.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:26 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Watching Daily News Live right now, at least these guys aren't making excuses for leighton unlike clement and Jackson were last night.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

At the end of the day, it's Holmgren's fault. It's been incredibly obvious for ages what sort of player Leighton is. Holmgren somehow can't see that, or refuses to see it.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:32 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
At the end of the day, it's Holmgren's fault. It's been incredibly obvious for ages what sort of player Leighton is. Holmgren somehow can't see that, or refuses to see it.
They were questioning why leighton was even on our roster. Frank Seravalli was saying he thinks Boucher is a better option and how leighton hasn't been good in practice either. He also said there were better options in the off season than leighton.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:33 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
There's no guarantee that the flyers make that pick though. Don't forget the flyers picked Kevin Marshall two spots before Subban was taken.
I hate that argument as well. It's just totally unfair and hindsight is 20/20.

For instance...James Sheppard, Riku Helenius, Ty Wishart, Mark Mitera, Davis Fischer and Bob Sanguinetti....all picked ahead of Giroux. You just never know.

Hell, you go back in time and I think he gets picked over 99% of the players drafted. Only real arguments I could see would be Toews, EJ and maybe Staal/Backstrom. I would take G over any of them.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

If he hasn't been good in practice that would explain the penalty where two of our defenders absolutely manhandled a Bolt standing in front of the crease in a fairly panicked fashion. It struck me as a penalty of desperation, and I conjecture it wouldn't happen if they had confidence in their goalie.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:41 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
If he hasn't been good in practice that would explain the penalty where two of our defenders absolutely manhandled a Bolt standing in front of the crease in a fairly panicked fashion. It struck me as a penalty of desperation, and I conjecture it wouldn't happen if they had confidence in their goalie.
It is what it is at this point. I just hope one more bad start by him and maybe someone in the front office gets the point that guy sucks and brings up Boucher.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:50 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
i went to one practice in person and i watched the live practice on TV. i know it's not a very big sample size but he was indeed bad in practice as well. bryz on one end had looked really good and competitive while leighton looked like...well leighton.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:58 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I give him one more shot. If he ***** the bed, I will finally agree with the rest of HFBoards, and will be forced to admit that my beloved Michael Leighton is nothing more than AHL goalie.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:22 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
i went to one practice in person and i watched the live practice on TV. i know it's not a very big sample size but he was indeed bad in practice as well. bryz on one end had looked really good and competitive while leighton looked like...well leighton.
The practice on tv was brutal. I felt bad for the guy seemed like the flyers forwards were going 5 hole on him every time.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I give him one more shot. If he ***** the bed, I will finally agree with the rest of HFBoards, and will be forced to admit that my beloved Michael Leighton is nothing more than AHL goalie.
Hahah i finaly came to that realization after the 5th goal in the TBL game..

it ****en kills me, but GODAMIT !!!

oh well time to move on.

the ****** part is that Leighton was a big big part of my renewed interest in following the Flyers closer then had been in years, so that was a big part of why i wanted him to be better then he obvoiusly is capable of.

RIP Leighton NHL career.. /sigh

Old
01-28-2013, 06:48 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Im glad you inserted the word finally. If he wants to do everything he can NOW to win a cup he better transform himself pretty quickly bc he is doing everything he can NOW to seal his fate as the consummate AHL goalie...

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 01-28-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: on laptop..not cell!
Old
01-28-2013, 06:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Leighton deserves his own thread..

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 01-28-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 07:00 PM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
I realize most of us don't think Homer is the sharpest tool in the shed (ie. mistakes with the CBA multiple times), but does anyone think it's possible that maybe Homer signed Leighton so that Bryz went into this season confident that he was the #1 guy without question?

I think all the pressure of the cameras, and the Winter Classic, and the Philly media, and having Bob pushing for a starting spot (which Bob openly admitted in the preseason) really got to Bryz last year and fueled his struggles.

Leighton is a sharp contrast to Bob in that he's older and knows he will never again be the starter for an NHL team. He's not a threat at all.

Maybe Homer just wanted to create the most stress-free environment for Bryz to give him a chance to play well? I realize that would mean that Homer is basically jettisoning the team's chances of winning on nights when the backup plays in hopes that our starter turned around his performance from last season, but like I said, nobody ever accused Homer of being the best GM on the planet.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:01 PM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The practice on tv was brutal. I felt bad for the guy seemed like the flyers forwards were going 5 hole on him every time.
It's more like a 10 hole. Seriously, that thing is WIDEEEEEE OPEN.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
having Bob pushing for a starting spot (which Bob openly admitted in the preseason) really got to Bryz last year and fueled his struggles.
correct

Old
01-28-2013, 08:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
correct
That's fine but you still need a guy who's capable to come in win some games here and there while the starter gets rest. IMO Leighton isn't that guy. You shouldn't sign an AHL goalie to be your backup because your starter fears his job security.

I feel like you can still get guys who don't have aspirations to be the number 1 guy but still be a solid goalie.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
That's fine but you still need a guy who's capable to come in win some games here and there while the starter gets rest. IMO Leighton isn't that guy. You shouldn't sign an AHL goalie to be your backup because your starter fears his job security.
i don't dispute you. but the backup can't be publicly campaigning for the #1 spot. on the ice, sure, but not in front of the press, like Bob did

Old
01-28-2013, 09:00 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
i don't dispute you. but the backup can't be publicly campaigning for the #1 spot. on the ice, sure, but not in front of the press, like Bob did
You don't think other backups are saying their trying to win the job? Schenieder/Luongo? Quick/Bernier? etc etc. Ussually in sports, when a guy competes for your spot, it SHOULD push you to play harder, not worse. Maybe he tried too hard.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:01 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I know I was just throwing that out there. Hey I'm just glad we're complaining about Leighton and not Bryz.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You don't think other backups are saying their trying to win the job? Schenieder/Luongo? Quick/Bernier? etc etc. Ussually in sports, when a guy competes for your spot, it SHOULD push you to play harder, not worse. Maybe he tried too hard.
Exactly my thoughts. If he had a problem with it he definitely needs to be tougher mentally.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
He played worse because bob was getting a lot of starts.

Bryz had played in 69 and 68 games before coming here. That's when he's best. When he gets a lot of starts, he is a great goalie.

He probably had about 50 starts last year.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Krishna

If Bryz doesn't get 38-40 starts this year, I will be disappointed in Lavy

Old
01-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
He played worse because bob was getting a lot of starts.

Bryz had played in 69 and 68 games before coming here. That's when he's best. When he gets a lot of starts, he is a great goalie.

He probably had about 50 starts last year.
Bob got a lot of starts because Bryz was bad. Bob getting starts didn't cause Bryz to falter; it was the other way around. Bryz faltered, therefore Bob had to start. Lavi tried to play Bryz through the storm and he really had no choice but to keep going with Bob.

I don't buy that Bob's presence made Bryz worse. By all accounts their working relationship was fine, and when Bryz was signed it was abundantly clear he was meant to be the number 1. When he was playing well it was clear he was supposed to, and expected to be, the go-to guy; when he wasn't playing well it was clear Bob was a backup filling in. With that eternal contract and NMC clause, these things weren't in doubt. Only when he struggled for a long time did he have to be sat down for the good of the team.

If the threat of a decent goalie as a backup shattered Bryz's confidence so badly, that says a lot of negative things about Bryz's mental fortitude.

Edit: If we have to keep a non-NHL goalie as backup and put the team at risk of losing an extra 10 games because Bryz mentally collapses with a decent backup, that's a detriment to the team and offsets any benefit of keeping Bryz pleased.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-28-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Closed Thread