HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stastny to Buffalo

Old
01-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
O'reilly isnt worth that. He is not a #1 nor a potential #1 center. This will throw Buffalos contract structure into he!! because then how much with Ennis, Hodgson, or Grigs be worth???
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
I'd much have O'Reilly locked up for 5 years at 6.6 than Stastny at 6.6 for 3 less years. O'Reilly is exactly what the Sabres need, fits right into our core, and in this proposed scenario we don't have to trade our best defenseman on a sweetheart contract (Sekera) to get him.
IF you could convince Sherman not to match the offersheet at $6.6M (keeping in mind they have more cap space than Buffalo, and keep in mind that in 3yrs. r less Grigs, Girgs, Armia, McNabb, Lieuwen, Makarov, Catenacci/Sundher all going to be looking for new deals - would be nice to not be strapped with another long-term deal at $6M+ (think Vanek...), not to mention sacrificing 2 1st RND picks, a 2nd and a 3rd in the process.

I dont mind 2 yrs of Stastny in a 'wait and see' sort of setting regarding an extension... we are after all in "win-now" mode.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:51 PM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Ott and Foligno are really the only players I'd like to see in a Staz deal.

Obviously Buffalo is really high on Foligno and probably won't give him up so here we are...

GeoffL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post

Obviously Buffalo is really high on Foligno and probably won't give him up so here we are...
Both are pretty close to untouchable.

I don't blame you for asking for some value for Stastny; again, some posters don't understand that he doesn't have negative value despite the contract. I just feel too many of the Sabre fanbase is wanting to make a panic trade five games into the season.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post

I could be coerced to deal Foligno in a larger package, but I would deinaitely want a guy like McGinn coming back which probably makes the deal nearly a wash... Would rather hang onto Marcus though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Both are pretty close to untouchable.

I don't blame you for asking for some value for Stastny; again, some posters don't understand that he doesn't have negative value despite the contract. I just feel too many of the Sabre fanbase is wanting to make a panic trade five games into the season.
Aquiring the top-6 centre we have been missing for 2yrs (due to injuries to Roy, decline of Connolly) or so is not really a 'panic trade'. We knew Ennis as a #2C was a gamble, and in this case it isn't working out as well as hoped. We also gambled on Leino and lost - it is time to bet on a safer horse at a bit steeper price IMO.

Buffalo needs a top-6 centre whether it is Stastny or someone else.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:19 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Why????

Because Buffalo has a ton of NHL ready Dmen waiting to come up. Besides Weber and Brennen, they have McNabb, Pysak, McCabe (captain of USA world junior championship team) who could step in and play at the NHL level now.

They have a very young Center core in Ennis, Hodgson, and Grigorenko. Stasny would provide leadership for the short term as these players develop. They are all very young.

Stasny gives a veteran leadership pressence.

Girgenson is tradeable. Grigorenko is not. As I said above they would rather have him as a LW than a center because he would be stuck behind the top 3 on their team.

In the short term future of the Sabres they will havea RW coming to play for them next year in Arima coming from finland. Ennis could play LW.

Their lineup could be

Vanek-Hodgson-Pommenville
Stafford-Stasny-Foligno
Armia-Grigorenko-Ennis.

Then they have Leino sitting there as well. If he doesnt do much this year he will likely be their mulligan for next season.

If I recall correctly besides Stasny, Vanek and Pommenville will be UFAs after 2013-14 season.

they could also kick the tires on Perry or Getzlaff.
That is absolutely absurd. Weber and Brennan, right now, are nothing more than serviceable depth/bottom pairing guys. Pysyk and McCabe are talented but at least 1-2 more years away from being ready for full-time NHL action. McNabb has been pretty awful in the AHL this year (there's a reason he wasn't invited to camp, you know).

And that projected forward line-up looks, somehow, even softer than what Buffalo iced last year.

We more likely than not have our top 6 center needs for the future answered in 2 of Hodgson/Ennis/Grigorenko/Girgensons/Catenacci. Our core players are mostly young and unlikely to be competitive this year. Why waste valuable assets on a center that doesn't put us over the edge now and that we probably won't have any use for in 2 years?

I'd be 100% ok with dealing significant assets for ROR, but not Stastny. (ie: Ennis, Girgensons, some roster D, any D prospects, picks).

We'd be able to ice something like:
V-H-P
Ott-ROR-Stafford (wow! a legitimate defensively competent line!)
Foligno-Grigs-Leino
Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta

Last edited by tsujimoto74: 01-28-2013 at 07:49 PM.
tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:27 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

I'd be cool with giving him 6 million a year if it only costs a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The kid is a stud

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Oh my God, this isn't even close. Good freaking Lord.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I could be coerced to deal Foligno in a larger package, but I would deinaitely want a guy like McGinn coming back which probably makes the deal nearly a wash... Would rather hang onto Marcus though...

Aquiring the top-6 centre we have been missing for 2yrs (due to injuries to Roy, decline of Connolly) or so is not really a 'panic trade'. We knew Ennis as a #2C was a gamble, and in this case it isn't working out as well as hoped. We also gambled on Leino and lost - it is time to bet on a safer horse at a bit steeper price IMO.

Buffalo needs a top-6 centre whether it is Stastny or someone else.
You're ready to say that five games into the season? We traded for Hodgson just last year. We drafted Grigorenko. We've made moves to acquire two potential top-six centers already in the matter of less than a year, both of which potential hasn't even been hit. Five games in suddenly these guys aren't going to work? Ennis looked great last year. After five games we're giving up on him? How many games as he played in the NHL as a center? Not many and in a majority of them he did very well.

This team making a trade this early on and giving up assets for someone like Stastny is stupid. If it's clear what we have won't work, then that's when it's time. But five games into a new season and it's already a failure? Way too early. If we're trading for a guy like Crosby, Malkin, even Spezza, then I don't oblige, but Stastny being the fix here this early? Way too soon to give up on our guys.

I stand by this sample size being way too small. Ten games in and we're still struggling, then I say change might be an option. However, I think the coaching staff should be the first thing looked at in that regard, not the players this team is supposedly being built around this soon.

Last edited by Rivet52: 01-28-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
That is absolutely absurd. Weber and Brennan, right now, are nothing more than serviceable depth/bottom pairing guys. Pysyk and McCabe are talented but at least 1-2 more years away from being ready for full-time NHL action. McNabb has been pretty awful in the AHL this year (there's a reason he wasn't invited to camp, you know).

And that projected forward line-up looks, somehow, even softer than what Buffalo iced last year.

We more likely than not have our top 6 center needs for the future answered in 2 of Hodgson/Ennis/Grigorenko/Girgensons/Catenacci. Our core players are mostly young and unlikely to be competitive this year. Why waste valuable assets on a center that doesn't put us over the edge now and that we probably won't have any use for in 2 years?

I'd be 100% ok with dealing significant assets for ROR, but not Stastny. (ie: Ennis, Girgensons, some roster D, any D prospects, picks).

We'd be able to ice something like:
V-H-P
Ott-ROR-Stafford (wow! a legitimate defensively competent line!)
Foligno-Grigs-Leino
Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta
there is no way I trade Ennis for ROR.

He is a 15-20 goal scorer at best.

You only give up Ennis if you are getting a long term #1 center.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:56 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
How did this thread even get to 3 pages...

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:48 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:

You only give up Ennis if you are getting a long term #1 center.
Ennis will almost certainly never be that.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:33 AM
clumping platelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
I agree...........thread should have stopped after post #1

clumping platelets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:02 AM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
Listen Toronto and Colorado have already swapped former 3C via FA in Mitchell and McClement so we might should continue said trend and swap our #1C in Bozak and Statsny.
Throw in Grabovski and we'll throw in Jones, and you've got yourself a deal.

Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:05 AM
heartsabres*

Stastny for Stafford, Sekera and Luke Adam

Probabaly an overpayment

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:17 AM
hockeyviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Also, realisticly I don't know a lot about the avs financial situation but I understand they don't have gobs of cash just lying around. How big of an offer sheet would it take for them to let O'Rielly walk? If he signed a 7 year/42 million dollar deal would they match?
no avs would take the 4, 1st round picks
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...e-offer-sheets

hockeyviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:23 AM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviking View Post
no avs would take the 4, 1st round picks
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...e-offer-sheets
Not 4 firsts, unless he's making over $8.4 million per year. Based on a $6 million per year contract, it's a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd.

But, honestly, O'Reilly isn't even worth $6m per year right now. Somewhere between Subban and Benn is where he should realistically end up. 2 years, $4.5m per year.

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantSakicAsMyGM View Post
Not 4 firsts, unless he's making over $8.4 million per year. Based on a $6 million per year contract, it's a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd.

But, honestly, O'Reilly isn't even worth $6m per year right now. Somewhere between Subban and Benn is where he should realistically end up. 2 years, $4.5m per year.
0.4 Draft Choice Compensation for Restricted Free Agents

Any Club that is entitled to but does not exercise its Right of First Refusal pursuant to Section 10.3 shall be entitled to obtain Draft Choice Compensation from the New Club. The number and quality of draft choices due to the Prior Club shall be based on the average annual value of the compensation contained in the Principal Terms (as defined in Section 10.3(e) hereof) of the New Club's Offer Sheet (determined by dividing such compensation by the lesser of the number of years of the Offer Sheet or five)

$42 / 5 = $8.4M

Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:40 AM
hockeyviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
a lot of copy + paste

Old
01-29-2013, 09:43 AM
hockeyviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantSakicAsMyGM View Post

nice you correct me but you are wrong to

look at Benders post

he ends up at $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd