HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2012-2013 Season Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 02:12 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbet1998 View Post
For the STL Blues to have continuous success in the future, they have to keep these 6 players in STL, IMO:

Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Backes
Oshie
Perron
Tarasenko

What do you guys think? Can they afford it and still ice a good team around them with their budget? This year has been a perfect storm and I love it, but I cant help but look down the road and see the Blues having to let guys like Polak, Steen, Berglund, etc. walk.

That will hurt if it happens. Those 6 guys look like 40 MIL in 3-5 years.
There's no doubt that people will have to be let go as they price themselves out of the team's plans. That's where good drafting, player development, and coaching comes in.

It's interesting to see who everyone believes are the "core" players for this team. I wonder how many people would have listed Perron two games ago?

Old
01-28-2013, 02:16 AM
sbet1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
There's no doubt that people will have to be let go as they price themselves out of the team's plans. That's where good drafting, player development, and coaching comes in.

It's interesting to see who everyone believes are the "core" players for this team. I wonder how many people would have listed Perron two games ago?
I would have. He has only gotten better and better and the skill was always there. People that didnt give him a chance were just impatient.

He's been one of the Blues most skilled players since he came here. All he could do was get better. He's still very young.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:22 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post

I would have. It had only been 4 games into the season after the lockout and he only played in that charity even and maybe a few beer leagues. Perron has serious skill and will continue to get better.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:32 AM
sbet1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
I would have. It had only been 4 games into the season after the lockout and he only played in that charity even and maybe a few beer leagues. Perron has serious skill and will continue to get better.
Perron is IMO, the most dangerous or explosive player on this very good team.

He is just starting to reach his potential and he wont reach his peak for a few years. Everyone forgets how young he is. I will say this without reservation: He will be the Blues top point getting forward for the next 2 years. Easy.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:34 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

He would have been on my short list as well, pending final performance reviews for this year. He definitely brings an aspect to the team that no one else does.

I believe this is a make-or-break season for him, though. If he can't put it all together this year, then it seems unlikely that he ever will.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:42 AM
sbet1998

Perron has found another level. The level we all were waiting for. We all know this team will make the playoffs. I just hope they will succeed when they get there. I think they will. A parade down market will make me feel like a kid. Cant wait.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 01-28-2013 at 02:57 AM. Reason: I laughed. Explanation in PMs
Old
01-28-2013, 02:44 AM
sbet1998

Who is that girl in your AV? Im in love.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:50 AM
sbet1998

Taking off. You guys should check out Impractical Jokers. Good show.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:58 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
What is the compensation for losing RFA's to offer sheets?
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...e-offer-sheets

My guess is if Pietro signs an offersheet(I REALLY hope not), it would probably be in the 5-6.5 Million range, which would be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. Hardly worthy of Pietrangelo. If Pietro was traded for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, St. Louis would riot. Hopefully it never gets to that point.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:03 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

One thing I've noticed is that the Blues have continually manage to sign their players for the low end of their general consensus market value under Armstrong.

I have a great deal of confidence in his ability to keep the Blues competitive within their given financial constraints.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post

My guess is if Pietro signs an offersheet(I REALLY hope not), it would probably be in the 5-6.5 Million range, which would be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. Hardly worthy of Pietrangelo. If Pietro was traded for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, St. Louis would riot. Hopefully it never gets to that point.

I was thinking for Stewart and Bergland in case we lost them.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:16 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbet1998 View Post
Who is that girl in your AV? Im in love.
This.

Who is this EastonBlues22?

Old
01-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Blues core (IMO):

Backes
Oshie
Berglund
Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Tarasenko
Perron
Halak

While there are other guys I wouldn't want to trade (McDonald, Steen, Stewart, Schwartz,etc.)I don't consider them core guys.

Old
01-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

After watching the past few games I think it would behoove the Blues to consider resting Russell. He made a few good plays last night but spent too much of his time just looking...off. (I do not include the penalty against him since the official could not figure out how to get out of the way)

Perhaps bring Cole in for a game or two, in particular if Russell does not look markedly better after getting some rest between now and the next game.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
After watching the past few games I think it would behoove the Blues to consider resting Russell. He made a few good plays last night but spent too much of his time just looking...off. (I do not include the penalty against him since the official could not figure out how to get out of the way)

Perhaps bring Cole in for a game or two, in particular if Russell does not look markedly better after getting some rest between now and the next game.
I'm not opposed to this. I wouldn't take Redden out of the lineup for Cole though.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:25 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Suppose for the sake of argument Redden plays the rest of the season pretty much how he's played these first three games. In that event, he's almost certainly going to be an everyday player.

Is that defense good enough to withstand an injury to Petro in the playoffs?

Old
01-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
I'm not opposed to this. I wouldn't take Redden out of the lineup for Cole though.
Agree, at this point Redden is playing more than adequately.

My thought here is Cole should be subbing for any defenseman (save 1 or 2) who is playing below their par. Just as I suspect Cole will need to fill in for a few days for Jackman since there will be times when he becomes tired and morphs in to "Lazy Jackman: Bane of Penalty Killing" not to mention any other injuries.

This will help to keep the team fresh and get Cole the experience he needs to take the next step.

But most of all, right now something needs to be done to get Russell playing to his potential again.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Without spending a massive amount of money or talent to get a true #2, is such a thing even possible?

Old
01-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
This.

Who is this EastonBlues22?
If her temperament is anything like her appearance I am going to go with one of my ex-girlfriends...

Old
01-28-2013, 02:53 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Blues core (IMO):

Backes
Oshie
Berglund
Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Tarasenko
Perron
Halak

While there are other guys I wouldn't want to trade (McDonald, Steen, Stewart, Schwartz,etc.)I don't consider them core guys.
This is pretty accurate.

Anyways, I'd like to see Russell sit, but he's one of Hitchcock's favorites that I'd be surprised if it happened. We'll see though.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Quote:
Blues core (IMO):

Backes
Oshie
Berglund
Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Tarasenko
Perron
Halak

Jackman?

Old
01-28-2013, 06:52 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

The Blues have scored 23 goals this year and the defensemen have 4 G, 16 A combined.

Shattenkirk 0-8-8
Pietrangelo 1-6-7
Redden 2-0-2
Jackman 1-0-1
Polak 0-1-1
Cole 0-1-1
Russell 0-0-0

Old
01-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post

Blues match those offersheets in a nanosecond. Blues would be getting 4 first round draft picks in any offersheet we deemed unmatchable.

As I said elsewhere though, his agents are in town this week, so at this stage there is no reason to expect he'll get to RFA anyway. Hopefully we can talk him into taking a big discount ($6m x 8) to keep as much of the team together as possible.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:20 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

If Petro wanted to help the team team out, he would do an 8 year deal worth $44 million.

5 5 6 6 6 6 5 5

Old
01-28-2013, 07:24 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Suppose for the sake of argument Redden plays the rest of the season pretty much how he's played these first three games. In that event, he's almost certainly going to be an everyday player.

How many defenses are if they sustained an injury to their number 1? Perhaps NYR and LAK could, but it'd be difficult. Look at the Red Wings. They lost Lidstrom, and now it looks bad. Flyers lost Pronger, and their defense looked bad. No team is going to have a defense completely capable of losing their #1, especially someone as good as Petro

Closed Thread