HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Justin Schultz

Old
01-27-2013, 11:04 AM
GorillazXL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp10 View Post
Thanks again for picking Edmonton!

I can't help but every time I look at the list of AHL Top Scorers.
Just looked at the AHL scoring this morning, basically two weeks after Justin left for the Oilers camp and both him and Eberle are still #1 (Eberle) and #2 (Schultz) in the scoring... too funny.

GXL

GorillazXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:34 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

It's still insane what the 2008 draft produced in terms of defensemen.

Drew Doughty - #1 in LA, Norris Candidate
Alex Pietrangelo - #1 in St. Louis, easily a future Norris Candidate
Erik Karlsson - #1 in Ottawa, Norris Winner
John Carlson - #1 in Washington
Justin Schultz - #1 in Edmonton in his rookie season
Tyler Myers - Top pairing in Buffalo
Travis Hamonic - Top pairing for Islanders
Luca Sbisa - Top 4 in Anaheim with top pairing potential
Luke Schenn - Top 4 in Philly with top pairing potential
Jake Gardiner - When healthy, #1 on Leafs until Reilly develops
Zack Bogosian - Top 4 in Winnipeg with top pairing potential.
Michael Delzotta - Top 4 in New York with top pairing potential
Slava Voynov - Top 4 in LA with top pairing potential

8 guys who are already top pairing, with 5 more having top pairing potential. 2012 class is in tough to compete with that.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:41 PM
ekcut

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL View Post
Just looked at the AHL scoring this morning, basically two weeks after Justin left for the Oilers camp and both him and Eberle are still #1 (Eberle) and #2 (Schultz) in the scoring... too funny.

GXL
He is leading the AHL defensemen and the NHL defensemen in scoring at the same time!

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:58 PM
CardMonkey83*

I wonder if he'll sign an extension this summer, along with RNH. Like hall and eberle did with one year left on their EL contracts. Hope he does sign at least 5 year extension and doesn't become disinterested this year and ends up wanting to switch teams again.
This guy is going to become our quarterback, if he isn't already, and as a rookie already leads all NHL defensemen in points. Wow

CardMonkey83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
I just read the locked Schultz thread on the main board. Jesus H. Christ. Sixteen pages of *****ing, moaning, and crying because it's only four games into the season and there is a discussion thread on him. Was there outrage in all the other threads for rookies or people ripping it up into this short season? I read garbage like that and it just amazes me how people on the main board get pissy when anyone mentions Oiler hate.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:00 AM
pocketful
"We'll see"

To be fair, it is a bit early too be singing his praises.

That aside, if I ever meet Justin Schultz I will shake his hand and tell him the day he chose Edmonton was the happiest day of my life.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:28 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketful View Post
To be fair, it is a bit early too be singing his praises.

That aside, if I ever meet Justin Schultz I will shake his hand and tell him the day he chose Edmonton was the happiest day of my life.
Sure, I agree. But it doesn't stop anyone from praising the other surefire studs after four games. God forbid anyone mention an Oiler though, it's the double standard that bugs me.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Sure, I agree. But it doesn't stop anyone from praising the other surefire studs after four games. God forbid anyone mention an Oiler though, it's the double standard that bugs me.
We should just shut up and accept our place at the bottom of the league. None of our players are any good.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:51 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Exactly. Conacher's the next St Louis and Tarasenko's the next Ovi, but its way to early to compliment Schultz

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:55 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Exactly. Conacher's the next St Louis and Tarasenko's the next Ovi, but its way to early to compliment Schultz
Our team sucks and is irrelevant in the eyes of HF, mang.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:12 PM
CardMonkey83*

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Justin Shultz was drafted with the pick Anahiem got from us in letting Dustin Penner sign the oilers offer sheet. Kind of funny, Anahiem got royally screwed by Edmonton from 2006 conference finals, to Penner, to stealing their golden egg in J. Shultz. If I were a Duck fan, the oilers would be decorated all over my dart board. GO OIL

CardMonkey83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:22 PM
OilCanada92

Schultz reminds me of Pronger(not saying he is). Just the way he plays is like hes "calm" and "cool". With like 10 seconds in the period he makes it seem like he has 2:00 to work with. Awesome pickup and hopefully becomes the great player he has the potential to be.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
Schultz reminds me of Pronger(not saying he is). Just the way he plays is like hes "calm" and "cool". With like 10 seconds in the period he makes it seem like he has 2:00 to work with. Awesome pickup and hopefully becomes the great player he has the potential to be.
He does have a very calm demeanor and slows the game down, that is the sign of a great player and regardless of what other fanbases may think, Schultz is well on his way to becoming a great player.

01-28-2013, 04:25 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayBerle HopKov View Post
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Justin Shultz was drafted with the pick Anahiem got from us in letting Dustin Penner sign the oilers offer sheet. Kind of funny, Anahiem got royally screwed by Edmonton from 2006 conference finals, to Penner, to stealing their golden egg in J. Shultz. If I were a Duck fan, the oilers would be decorated all over my dart board. GO OIL
Anaheim surely picks good defensemen--just in recent years they drafted Gardiner, Schultz, Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm--only one was a top 10 pick.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:27 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayBerle HopKov View Post
Then Penner got dealt for Klefbom who is projected to be a perfect partner for Schultz

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Kelevra

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Then Penner got dealt for Klefbom who is projected to be a perfect partner for Schultz
The picks we gave up to get Penner ended up being Myers, Schultz and Hamonic...not saying we would have picked those guys but it was a deep draft...we lost the Penner Offer sheet no matter how you slice it.

Kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:29 PM
OilCanada92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He does have a very calm demeanor and slows the game down, that is the sign of a great player and regardless of what other fanbases may think, Schultz is well on his way to becoming a great player.
Its like he can teleaport. There has been many times he passes the puck up to eberle or Hall then BOOM! hes in front of the net for a perfect wrist.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
Its like he can teleaport. There has been many times he passes the puck up to eberle or Hall then BOOM! hes in front of the net for a perfect wrist.
Yeah he jumps into the play seamlessly.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:39 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
The picks we gave up to get Penner ended up being Myers, Schultz and Hamonic...not saying we would have picked those guys but it was a deep draft...we lost the Penner Offer sheet no matter how you slice it.
Just goes to show Oiler offer sheets would never work.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:05 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
I am pretty sure this is not correct. Oilers gave up 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 2008 draft (12th overall (BUF, Myers), 43rd overall (ANA, Schultz), 72nd overall (NYI, Jyri Niemi).
Hamonic was taken by the Islanders in the 2nd round (53rd overall).

Old
01-28-2013, 06:16 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
I am pretty sure this is not correct. Oilers gave up 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 2008 draft (12th overall (BUF, Myers), 43rd overall (ANA, Schultz), 72nd overall (NYI, Jyri Niemi).
Hamonic was taken by the Islanders in the 2nd round (53rd overall).
It's actually more confusing than that.

-We traded the 73rd overall pick and MAB to NYI for Grebeshkov.

-Later we then traded the 53rd overall pick(Hamonic), which we got from the Pronger trade, to NYI for Allan Rourke and our 73rd overall pick back.

-Then used our 1st(Myers), 2nd(Schultz) and 3rd(Kirill Petrov) to offer sheet Penner.

-Then Anaheim traded the 3rd(Petrov) to the Islanders for MAB.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:22 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
I'm not sure you can really say we "lost" the offersheet.

Anaheim ended up with Jake Gardiner, Nic Deschamps, Eric O'Dell, Justin Schultz and MAB.

All they have to show for it is Francois Beachemin(from Gardiner trade) and Brandon McMillan(from MAB trade) now.

Compare that to the near 4 seasons of Penner and the acquisition of Teubert, Klefbom and Zharkov we got.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:23 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
It's actually more confusing than that.

-We traded the 73rd overall pick and MAB to NYI for Grebeshkov.

-Later we then traded the 53rd overall pick(Hamonic), which we got from the Pronger trade, to NYI for Allan Rourke and our 73rd overall pick back.

-Then used our 1st(Myers), 2nd(Schultz) and 3rd(Kirill Petrov) to offer sheet Penner.

-Then Anaheim traded the 3rd(Petrov) to the Islanders for MAB.
ok, thanks. So technically Hamonic was not a part of the offer sheet package, but part of another deal that enabled the offer sheet.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:24 PM
GMofOilers

Hes the real deal for sure. Wow what a impressive player already, wonder how much better he will get? Im guessing not a whole bunch cause hes pretty impressive now. A few brain cramps defensivly but pretty good.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:28 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
ok, thanks. So technically Hamonic was not a part of the offer sheet package, but part of another deal that enabled the offer sheet.
Yup. We had to get our 3rd back to send the offersheet.