HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 01:14 AM
alexmanu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
There's always Drouin or Nathan MacKinnon
Yeah MacKinnon would solve these issues I think, doubt we will be in a position to be able to draft him unfortunately.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:02 AM
Neal Before Zod

Yah yah yah yah...same old argument when we struggle. Poile won't trade for offense!

Yes, I do agree that it would be nice for us to grab a top 3 forward. But those guys do not come cheap.

Is this the year we want to make a big move like that? We have a pretty decent group of young forwards out there, and most of our veteran forwards are locked up for at least a year or two. We also have a deep draft coming up this summer. As a team, I do not think we have a great chance to bring the Cup home this season. Even if we add a big name guy, I'm not sure that would buy us past the first round. We have some decent vets on our roster, but no superstars. We have some promising youth on our roster, but no one I see as a potential top liner. 9 of 14 forwards on our roster are signed through next season. And of the remainder, 3 are RFAs and people I would strongly consider resigning.

As a Preds fan, I know the frustrations of always looking down the road, but so far I think our patience has paid off. No, we don't have any deep runs to show for it, but we have a remarkably consistent and competitive team, a perennial playoff team, and we've generally taken more steps forwards than backwards.

If we make a deal on a legit top liner, it has to be a deal that makes sense to us. We have to be willing to part with whatever we give up (draft picks, prospects), and it has to be more than a one year wonder deal.

More importantly, it has to be the type of guy that fits our system. We all witnessed the highs and lows of what talent like Alex Radulov brings. I know a big point of frustration here is how all of our guys must be 2 way guys...but is that really a bad thing? What about the likes of a Marian Hossa? Or a Pavel Datsyuk? Those guys are superb defenders and have loads of offensive talent to boot. Obviously I don't think those guys in particular are available...but I think those kinds of guys are the ones that would best fit our system. As much as I enjoyed Paul Kariya's time here -- I can't say that's the type of guy I WANT to see us get.

But back on track. I am only in favor of a trade if we can get a guy who will be here next year or beyond. In this shortened season, it's too much to risk a 1 year mercenary. I also think that Hornqvist's injury will bear heavily on whether a serious move is made. If the news is bad and Horny is out for the year, Poile has a big decision to make. Does he go after a 20 (or preferably, 30+) goal scorer to replace him NOW, or does he bring up a prospect and ride it out (let's say no attractive deal can be made).

It's too early -- way too early (and we're actually in playoff position as we speak) to suggest that we "tank"...but in an abbreviated season, would it be the worst thing in the world if we got a top 10 draft pick in a talent rich year?

In any case, watching this team...we're very rusty. We need to gel and have players adjust to new roles. We need both young and old to step up their game. I just don't see this as a Stanley Cup contention year. Too many missing parts, or parts that just aren't ready. I don't know if one big move actually changes that in the end. Maybe, maybe not.

We're not losing Weber or Rinne anytime soon. We have a core group of forwards that will be back (or that we can possibly trade, if necessary). We could use another good D man assuming Gill retires and Hannan is a one year thing. I'm just thinking we let this year play out, and hope to make a bigger splash in the offseason, either via trade, trade a draft pick, trade for a draft pick. Looking at the upcoming UFA list, it's not incredibly deep, though at current there are some big names (under 30 guys include Semin, Perry, Getzlaf that are surefire top line forwards).

But...I will say...if a good deal can be made...one that makes sense...then Poile needs to pull the trigger.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

The Avs are reportedly shopping ROR ... Poile, you got your fax machine plugged in ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:23 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
The Avs are reportedly shopping ROR ... Poile, you got your fax machine plugged in ?
oh yeah! we need another third line center

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:38 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I feel like I'm in Groundhog Day.

EVERY ****ING SEASON SINCE I'M A FAN.

(beginning of season)

WHAAAA!!!! PREDS SUCK!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

(middle of the season)

Hey look! The Preds are making a comeback.

(Trade deadline)

WE NEED TO MAKE A TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure what they need to trade for, but MAKE A DAMNED TRADE!!!!!

(Near playoff time)

Wow, glad we didn't make that big deal.

Honestly, I could make an economics metaphor where you keep tweaking the system for the present you **** the future. Relax, just think to yourself this is a half season, even if we won the cup everyone would **** on us for having an illegitimate cup because it's a half season.

If the team sucks, great draft we get better with our 1st.

IF the team wins and gets into the playoffs, great enjoy the ride.

If the team wins it all, guess what all the haters will crap on it anyway and doom the Preds as the worse SC winner ever.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Honestly, I could make an economics metaphor where you keep tweaking the system for the present you **** the future. Relax, just think to yourself this is a half season, even if we won the cup everyone would **** on us for having an illegitimate cup because it's a half season.

If the team sucks, great draft we get better with our 1st.

IF the team wins and gets into the playoffs, great enjoy the ride.

If the team wins it all, guess what all the haters will crap on it anyway and doom the Preds as the worse SC winner ever.

Man, I don't think I could've summed it up any better.

Neal Before Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:47 PM
AintLifeGrand

Could Poille be in on the Phil Kessel sweepstakes??

to Nsh: Kessel
to Tor: Leipsic, Hornqvist, 2013 1st

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Could Poille be in on the Phil Kessel sweepstakes??

to Nsh: Kessel
to Tor: Leipsic, Hornqvist, 2013 1st
I would do that trade, but they wouldn't. People on the main board are asking Wilson, Watson/Ellis + 1st. And rightfully so.

To me that's a double edged sword, we get the 30-40 goal sniper we've been craving since Poile drafted Bondra, BUT he's a ufa next year and we potentially give up an entire first line. That's essentially the Phil Kessel trade and it even features Phil Kessel. History repeats I guess.

Let's say Wilson continues to play well and gets a couple 30 goal years, Watson plays to his ceiling and is around 30 goals and stellar defensively and we keep losing in shootouts and get a top 10-15 pick. We're no better off then Columbus after Carter, or Toronto after Kessel.

That could turn very sour for us, we already have had trouble signing OUR ufa's now we need to convince Kessel to re-up long term. Which reminds me, the last time he was traded didn't he not want to come here?

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:05 PM
alexmanu

I'd only agree on the Kessel deal if he signs an extension. Otherwise we need to identify other targets or take advantage of the fact that guys like Corey Perry, Jarome Iginla, Mike Ribiero, Nathan Horton, Ryane Clowe could be UFA's in the off season and nab one or two of those guys.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Drake744
#HeyHeyPekkaRinne

vCash: 325
Wasn't it down to us and Toronto last time Kessel was a free agent or traded or whatever? I thought we were all pissed off because Boston traded him in the division rather than to us.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:18 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Wasn't it down to us and Toronto last time Kessel was a free agent or traded or whatever?
yeah between us and toronto when he was traded from boston. there was a deal with ryan ellis that got nixed last minute. kessel didn't want to come here

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Drake744
#HeyHeyPekkaRinne

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
yeah between us and toronto when he was traded from boston. there was a deal with ryan ellis that got nixed last minute. kessel didn't want to come here
Guess I don't blame him since the Leafs are always in the playoffs and we're bottom dwellers.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:33 PM
NoNecksCurse

this was posted a while back from someone around here I think .....

" That's not true. I spoke via twitter to kevin paul dupont about it, around 6 months after the fact. He said that Boston was willing to accept Nashville and Toronto's offers--it came down to signing Kessel. Nashville would go no higher than 4.75 per for 4 years. The leafs offered 5 at 5.5. Nashville's offer, according to KPD, was Jonathan Blum, a first and a second."

Old
01-28-2013, 04:03 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
this was posted a while back from someone around here I think .....

" That's not true. I spoke via twitter to kevin paul dupont about it, around 6 months after the fact. He said that Boston was willing to accept Nashville and Toronto's offers--it came down to signing Kessel. Nashville would go no higher than 4.75 per for 4 years. The leafs offered 5 at 5.5. Nashville's offer, according to KPD, was Jonathan Blum, a first and a second."
that would have been a steal... I bet if they knew Suter wouldnt resign they wouldve added more $ to his contract... whatever.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:21 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
that would have been a steal... I bet if they knew Suter wouldnt resign they wouldve added more $ to his contract... whatever.
kessel at 6 mil would be a deal.. back then, that was market price but man if poile would have upped his offer to 6-7 years, 5.5 mil per.. we would have our first line winger and only lost blum, and a 1st & 2nd round picks. we lost both of those at this years deadline.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:34 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
kessel at 6 mil would be a deal.. back then, that was market price but man if poile would have upped his offer to 6-7 years, 5.5 mil per.. we would have our first line winger and only lost blum, and a 1st & 2nd round picks. we lost both of those at this years deadline.
im gonna send poile a magic 8 ball for these hard decisions.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:37 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
haha please do..

Old
01-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 50
Quote:

Don't waste the magic 8 ball, just ask him to post a poll on HF boards.

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Ryan Ellis's deal was for Boston's 1st round pick in 2011. My guess is they wanted Couturier.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:18 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Ryan Ellis's deal was for Boston's 1st round pick in 2011. My guess is they wanted Couturier.
thanks, my mistake. you're right. ellis was in a deal to move up to grab couturier but that didn't happen.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
thanks, my mistake. you're right. ellis was in a deal to move up to grab couturier but that didn't happen.
Having seen Hamilton this year, do you guys think we made the wrong move again? I like Ellis though, certainly not upset he's on our squad.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:00 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Having seen Hamilton this year, do you guys think we made the wrong move again? I like Ellis though, certainly not upset he's on our squad.
boston called off the deal, not us. id much rather have couturier over ellis, though. as poile did and probably still feels that way.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:01 AM
alexmanu

Quote:
boston called off the deal, not us. id much rather have couturier over ellis, though. as poile did and probably still feels that way.
Ellis is going to be a good player in this league, a threat on every PP. But Couturier will be better, Poile was about to pull the trigger on the trade, but once again the circumstances were such that it wasn't possible. Trades with Boston haven't gone too well for Poile, we've missed out on Kessel and the opportunity to draft Couturier.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Top 6 Spaling

The deal was contingent of Couturier being there. Once the Flyers took him one pick before the Bruins were up, no deal.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Webersmashpuck

I was thinking about something reasonable that would help us, what about getting back Joel Ward from Washington? He would not be close to a 1st liner but he would help the team and fill the void left by Hornqvist. I also know his contract is terrible, but maybe Washington would eat some of it to get the cap off the books and it still be affordable.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote