HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Canadiens re-sign PK Subban!!!!! 2 years/$5.75M

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 08:01 PM
SnapVirus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
2M pro rated to 48 games minus 4 games how much money will he make this year?
This year?

2M$ = 82 games.
so he will have for 44 games = 1.07M$

Old
01-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred50 View Post
lol. huh? You don't think he'd go after every dollar otherwise?
Go look up Vancouver's roster. It would be quicker to count how many players haven't taken a discount. Crosby could have essentially asked for a blank check, yet took a substantial discount. Many players feel they want to help their team build. PK has no reason to feel such loyalty to the Habs, as they didn't reciprocate.

Old
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
You should tell that to Bergevin who offered less than Del Zotto money to Subban.

Would you trade Subban for Del Zotto ? No ? Why should he make less than Del Zotto then ? The same MDZ who even had to be sent back to the minors at some point.
He will make almost as much in his second year as delzotto will over his whole 2 years when you count the prorating for this season. Perhaps you should have hummed and hawwed over why the second year of the contract was almost twice as much as the first year before you went on a tangent.

Old
Andy

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman
Quote:
Indication I've read during this process is MTL don't know what they have in PK. That's fine, but if you evaluate badly, it will cost a lot.
He's right and that's what scares me.

Old
bigred50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

1. I think we could've signed him longer team at a cheaper rate.
2. Whatever chance there was for a hometown discount is now long gone.
1. Cheaper than $3 mil a year?
2. No such thing as a hometown discount anymore IMO. Plus, he'll be an RFA again in 2 years.

Old
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

We've just made a big trade. We just acquired Subban and we gave nothing.

Welcome back home, PK. I just hope we don't loose you in 2015.

Old
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Compare that contract to every other #1 defenseman in the league, or better even, just RFAs. This offer is an absolute lowball when held up by comparison.
Next year, Subban will receive a better salary than Kris Letang.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Not to pee on anyone's rainbow, but I have a feeling this will bite us in the rear in two years. We might have missed an opportunity to get a potential long term steal. /armchair GM

Old
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Bergy sounds very happy.

''Today is a great day for the Montreal Canadiens.''

''He's a really good young defenceman.''

''Really proud of P.K.''

Old
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Because we could have saved long-term if we signed to the money PK wanted now. In two years we may have to pay 1.5-2 million dollars extra, where we could have had him signed for less at a longer-term now.
OK. Here is the clarification.

Gomez $7 million is off the books next year.

If you pay Subban $5.5 to $6 million, then that only leaves $1 to $1.5 million to bring in and sign basically a scrub player like we have become accustomed to seeing here in Montreal.

Now, with this contract, $3.2 million dollars of Gomez money will be used to bring in an impact forward or a very good DMan.

We want to pay Subban $6 million per in a couple of years as he progresses. We now have an OPPORTUNITY to add talent to this team next year without fighting the cap.

Very simple concept that the Bergevin haters cannot grasp. Fortunately for the Montreal Canadiens, Bergevin gets it and makes the decisions.

Again, great day for the Habs and loving the moves Bergevin is making since taking over the job. Very astute.

Old
PyrettaBlaze

Press conference started:

http://www.tsn.ca/Montreal/listen/

RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I complain that Bergevin low balled our best young player into a hold out and signed him to a bridge deal that makes no sense. I haven't changed my mind. I was against the bridge deal from day #1. And I thought this should have been done before season started. I guarantee you that the 0.5M Bergevin won in this negotiation wasn't worth the hold out and bad blood. But people will understand this later.
LOL!! Our best young player?? I think Price and a few other players may have something to say about that.

You are just ticked off because MB made a sound decision to negotiate hard with an RFA instead of giving him what he wanted. A bridge contract is a valid protocol prior to a long term deal. How does this cap hit and contract make no sense for the Habs?

Subban will still be an RFA after this deal. Then you make a long term deal based on the next couple of years of performance. If not, he should be easy to sign since he is an RFA and it's so easy to sign those guys according to you.

What MB won in this deal is not .5M, it's a baseline for future negotiations on this team.

Bad blood? If Subban wants to stay he will...at the right price. If not, he'll leave...for the right price.

It's all a business and not about how you feel about bridge contracts. The only thing people will understand later is how much time they spent debating posters with "give players whatever they want" mentalities. It's hard to draw the line between Hab fans and player fans on this board sometimes.

Old
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
It comes at a price man. And in the long run, it's going to cost us a whole lot more.

Then again it could've been worse and PK could've told MB to go **** himself so uh, yeah let's be happy about this.
I don't see how it will cost more long term. The only scenario that happens in, is if he outperforms what he has done to date, and asks for more money than what he was seeking earlier. A scenario which I would have absolutely no problem with, since we would have a pretty incredible defenseman to sign.

The bottom line here, is that he wants to play in Montreal. There's no reason to think that will change come next contract since it didn't change today. To top it all off, he's still an RFA next time. Only difference will be he will be eligible for arbitration.

Old
SB164

Press conference has started:

Listen live - http://www.tsn.ca/Montreal/listen/

Old
Vinc360

Really happy we're getting Subban. It's so awesome to see such positivity among Habs fans. I wonder how long the honeymoon will last between the team, its administration and the fans...

Old
01-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Thrilled with the contract. Hope to see him in the lineup tomorrow!

Old
PyrettaBlaze

Aww Subban is so cute...

Old
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
For me it REALLY depends on how you see PK Subban.

I'd rather take the two year deal and the chance that PK asks for 2-3 million more next deal (if he earned it) instead of dealing with him for 4-5 million for next 5 years, and he doesn't pan out like you'd hope. It was a RISKY deal. I personally feel it's the best deal.

Even as PK Subban. It's a good deal and don't think a long-term deal was any good for him.
Give me 4 million next year. I kick ass, and I prove I'm worth 5-6 next deal.
He's not going to ask for 2-3 more next time around. He's going to ask for 4-5 more.

As for the RISK that you're talking about... MB is very lucky that PK didn't just walk away. THAT was a risk (and an unnecessary one at that.)

And we are going to get killed next time. Count on it.

Old
Habsfan18

I'm ecstatic, but part of me thinks this could actually end up biting us in the ass. Have to think PK realizes he signed for less than what he's worth and is a bit bitter about the situation.

We could have signed PK long term for 4-5 million per season (I'm assuming, of course) when in 1 and a half years, he could actually cost us 6+ million per season over a long term deal.

Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Subban thanking Bergevin.

Credits his teammates for a great start.

''Enjoyment to watch''.

Props to Markov now.

Old
sheed36

PK doesn't sound bitter..

Old
01-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The only bad blood is from the PK Subban fans on the internet who despise Bergevin for getting him to sign a contract that will free up money to help improve the Montreal Canadiens.

And why be pissed off because the Canadiens will now be able to get better talent on the team............along with Subban on the ice??????

The question of the day.
We are thinking ahead - two years, when PK is up for renewal and decides Drew Doughty money is now his end game.

Old
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
OK. Here is the clarification.

Gomez $7 million is off the books next year.

If you pay Subban $5.5 to $6 million, then that only leaves $1 to $1.5 million to bring in and sign basically a scrub player like we have become accustomed to seeing here in Montreal.

Now, with this contract, $3.2 million dollars of Gomez money will be used to bring in an impact forward or a very good DMan.

We want to pay Subban $6 million per in a couple of years as he progresses. We now have an OPPORTUNITY to add talent to this team next year without fighting the cap.

Very simple concept that the Bergevin haters cannot grasp. Fortunately for the Montreal Canadiens, Bergevin gets it and makes the decisions.

Again, great day for the Habs and loving the moves Bergevin is making since taking over the job. Very astute.
AND with the ability to work with the cap in a few years with Gio/Markov/Kaberle contracts off the book. I really dont see how this isn't good for Montreal and PK Subban.

Old
PyrettaBlaze

Subban thanking his teammates, praising Markov. Love it.

Old
Carboneer

Whoever is still complaining that MB handled this the wrong way, the rest of us don't really want to hear it.

Closed Thread