HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Observations you've made watching other teams broadcasts on center ice

Old
01-28-2013, 06:34 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 662
I'm a Sharks fan, but I'm slowly starting to think Bob Miller and Jim Fox are better announcers, even though I do like Randy and Drew a lot. Miller and Fox seem a lot more knowledgeable about the game and I love how Fox's voice raises like he's asking a question after every comment.

I also like the Panthers announcers.

I should probably see more Stars games. Don't really have much of an opinion on Ralph and Razor, even though I've heard they're really good.

I actually don't mind most announcers, even though I don't like the Penguins guys

Canada gives away a lot of stuff to their viewers (Like the whole Safeway thing on Sportsnet).

Fox must really be hard core for fox girls and the Daytona 500. That's been the main commercial on all the FSN broadcasts so far.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:37 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Only observation I've made is that most teams in the West have terrible announcers, at least when compared to Ralph and Razor.
Interestingly, they're among my least favorite. Razor seems like a cool guy outside of the broadcast booth, but I don't care for his trying-way-too-hard analyst schtick.

By contrast, people complain about the homerism of the Sharks announcers and even though I'm not a Sharks fan, I think they're among the best in TV. Still, that's not saying much, as the bottom line is that most TV announcers, even Canadian ones, aren't very good.

I think that's why I appreciate John Kelly for the Blues. I don't love his play-by-play, and his "un-be-lievable" and "thank you, thank you, thank you" things are so forced and weak. HOWEVER, he does his homework. Dude knows even the tweener players on every team and is incredibly prepared with stats and info and accurate observations. Some of that is overall production and the booth feeding stuff to him, but when you listen to 90% of other broadcasts, the announcers just don't even try. Half the time, the dude just says the name of the other team instead of the actual player.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Soderberg

Other teams announcers can be just as biased as Jack Edwards.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:46 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segchise View Post
Other teams announcers can be just as biased as Jack Edwards.
The guys in Pittsburgh (Errey and Steigerwald) as well as Washington (Joe Beninati and Craig Laughlin, I think) are just as bad, and I think it's great.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:50 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
The lack of Madison Avenue social engineering Canadian commercials is quite nice.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:00 PM
GrafSk8r12

Seeing Marty Turco on the Dallas broadcast reminded me of this:

GrafSk8r12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:02 PM
truefan8993

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsMike View Post
To be fair, it's actually pronounced like e-raht (the e like in 'bed') instead of the only way I've heard it (ee-rat)
Well thank you for telling me that, I guess someone needs to let the Preds announcers know that. All these years I have been mislead.

truefan8993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:04 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I'm yet to notice a team in the States without an Enterprise ad on the boards.
They are the official rental car of the NHL.

I've not seen an enterprise without an NHL sticker on its door

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Black and Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
Yep they're great.

I also like the Blues crew.
They should hire two brothers to broadcast their games, then they could be the Blues Brothers.

Black and Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
malcolmedge

Ive scratched my head a few times. Like when the Penguins announcer outright said James Neal is better than the Sedin's. Now I know the Canucks get a lot of hate, but really come on...

I also noticed that SNE guys are utterly terrible as well. SNP are bad too, they talked about The Bachelor for 3 minutes during play.

Overall the impression I get are that TSN and CBC have the 4 best in the game. Nothing is better than Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson.

malcolmedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bullwine85

-The Telus commercials on Canadian broadcasts are entertaining (and I know the feeling that HD should be included. I work Customer Service for ATT U-verse, and HD is an additional $10 unless you get the highest package ).

-Also saw an ad for Pro Hockey Life megastore, so I went online to see what they had. Shame they don't normally ship to the US, at least from what I've seen

-The Blues and Stars crews are really good. Especially since those are the two teams i watch most often

-Will often get looks (in a good, laughing way) if I put on a Canadian game on Center Ice at the bar, since everyone else will be wondering "wtf is this ad?". Such as the case when the Battle of Alberta was on on Saturday

Bullwine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:20 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Oh yeah and I love the broadcast crews that seem like they are friends off the ice.

Some of you guys are bashing the crews for the very reasons I love them. The SNP talking about The Bachelor was hilarious, I can't remember what game it was, but if anyone can remember, I would enjoy laughing at it again.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:23 PM
geno4mvp

The Blues have the two best regional announcers in the NHL, if you can get past the homerism.

geno4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:26 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno4mvp View Post
The Blues have the two best regional announcers in the NHL, if you can get past the homerism.
Errr Pang is terrible. Listening to him whining about interference calls being called like the rule says gets old, he whined about it for an entire period.

Then on top of that Rinne barely touch the post doing a normal thing a goalie should do, and he says he should get a delay of game. Then later in the game Rinne actually knocks the net off on purpose and he's too busy whining about interference calls to notice that one.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:30 PM
weezy2736

Jeff Rimer is the worst.

weezy2736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:36 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 489
I actually enjoy listening to the Sharks announcers, also like the Blues.

Love seeing commercials for teams outside the north east.

And it seems the Flames give away a bunch of free **** after every goal.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:42 PM
topliner967

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post

I think that's why I appreciate John Kelly for the Blues. I don't love his play-by-play, and his "un-be-lievable" and "thank you, thank you, thank you" things are so forced and weak. HOWEVER, he does his homework. Dude knows even the tweener players on every team and is incredibly prepared with stats and info and accurate observations. Some of that is overall production and the booth feeding stuff to him, but when you listen to 90% of other broadcasts, the announcers just don't even try. Half the time, the dude just says the name of the other team instead of the actual player.
I think Bob Miller is good at this. Here's a video from the Kings showing how Bob prepares for each game (btw, this is Bob's 40th season with the Kings!):

http://video.kings.nhl.com/videocent...sole?id=105701

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Uber Coca

Fans in the USA are lucky to have ice girls. I want them in Montreal. Awesome entertainment.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
I can't stand Boston's announcers, some of the things they say are stupid and incredibly homerish.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:50 PM
SharksFan1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
I'm a Sharks fan, but I'm slowly starting to think Bob Miller and Jim Fox are better announcers, even though I do like Randy and Drew a lot. Miller and Fox seem a lot more knowledgeable about the game and I love how Fox's voice raises like he's asking a question after every comment.
I can not stand how Fox always ends his statements with that tone. Although they are a million times better than the Ducks announcers.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:50 PM
PhoenyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
In comparison to the rest of the league, Anaheim really needs to get their passing game together. Unreal how bad they can be at such a fundamental part of the game. Getzlaf, Fowler, and Selanne are the only ones who can put it on the tape.
Yeah, we're 3-1 at this point but still look like we're in preseason mode. Lots of work to do, especially on special teams.

PhoenyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Bullwine85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
I can't stand Boston's announcers, some of the things they say are stupid and incredibly homerish.
Well, considering the amount of Jack Edwards threads there sometimes are, I'll put him in the "Such a homer, he's entertaining" category.

Bullwine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:53 PM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Fans in the USA are lucky to have ice girls. I want them in Montreal. Awesome entertainment.
The Bruins`ones aren`t very friendly. Stepford Ice Girls.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:56 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Doesn't Edmonton have Ice Girls now.

Also, I love this thread. You pay for Center Ice and there is so much complaining about various announcer styles and such. I've seen some compliments, but not many.

I've got one other compliment. In terms of overall production and style, I think Fox does it the best. Love the score graphic, the music, and the "Fox Sports" with the team underneath in the right hand corner. I still wish the Bay Area was under the Fox Sports style and not comcast, but trying to keep this positive.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
They are entertaining, I love watching them if I'm just a neutral fan of teams playing.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote