HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you happy with Dubnyk in net now and in the future?

View Poll Results: are you happy with dubnyk in net?
yes 78 26.44%
no 81 27.46%
will give him one more year 68 23.05%
too early to tell, he is sill developing 48 16.27%
Oilers need a backup who can play more games to give him a break 20 6.78%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 08:14 PM
  #76
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Point is, team could be heading to the third period 0-0 against say Vancouver, going neck and neck and even though by that point, Dubnyk has made 30 saves, he'll let in a softy that deflates the team. Thats the problem. Blame all the D you want but players like Luongo, Quick, Lundqvist, they are good because they have the talent, not rely on others.
I agree completely.

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:28 PM
  #77
Tommy35
Registered User
 
Tommy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
If this organization still has patience and confidence in Dubnyk as our No. 1 goalie moving forward, then we've got big problems. The team is on the right path with the re building., just 2 more pieces missing to complete the puzzle, a goaltender and quality DMAN

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:38 PM
  #78
I see only darkness
Registered User
 
I see only darkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 681
vCash: 761
Dubs is a good goalie. My personal problem with him is he never makes the big save. Where you say man that was a sure goal that he robbed.

Everyone lets in bad goals here and there but Dubs lets far to many of them in. Almost at a rate of 1 per game.

I see only darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:46 PM
  #79
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,711
vCash: 500
Anyone know anything about Federik Anderson?

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:19 PM
  #80
Tommy35
Registered User
 
Tommy35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Anyone know anything about Federik Anderson?
r u serious?? the pearl artist for Amon Armath? I luv the guy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Z0ur09tb_DA

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:39 PM
  #81
Horseradish
Registered User
 
Horseradish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 4,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Point is, team could be heading to the third period 0-0 against say Vancouver, going neck and neck and even though by that point, Dubnyk has made 30 saves, he'll let in a softy that deflates the team. Thats the problem. Blame all the D you want but players like Luongo, Quick, Lundqvist, they are good because they have the talent, not rely on others.
You reference the 3 starting goalies of 3 of the best teams in the league.

...you realize they're not 3 of the best teams JUST because of goaltending, right?

Quick and Lundqvist out-of-this-world last year.

Luongo was slightly better than average in SP% last year on the President's Cup winning team.

But if you look at their D, they all have some incredible talent and depth back there. Edmonton doesn't.

If you give Dubnyk any of those d-corps, he's easily a better than average goaltender looking at a .920-.925 SP%.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:46 PM
  #82
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
You reference the 3 starting goalies of 3 of the best teams in the league.

...you realize they're not 3 of the best teams JUST because of goaltending, right?

Quick and Lundqvist out-of-this-world last year.

Luongo was slightly better than average in SP% last year on the President's Cup winning team.

But if you look at their D, they all have some incredible talent and depth back there. Edmonton doesn't.

If you give Dubnyk any of those d-corps, he's easily a better than average goaltender looking at a .920-.925 SP%.
That last save by Varlamov is a surefire goal against Dubnyk. Theres the difference between a starting goaltender and a backup.

Edit: Also look at Carey Price's numbers and he had nothin to work with last year in Montreal.


Last edited by raab: 01-28-2013 at 09:52 PM.
raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:31 PM
  #83
ekcut
Registered User
 
ekcut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,898
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ekcut
Dubbies stats are getting better. Save% up to .907.
Ignore the SJ game and his save% is .940.

I know you just cant 'ignore' a bad game, but I'm not throwing him to the wolves yet. He has shown enough for me to think he will be a top 20 starting goalie in the league.....which is better then anything available (unless you are willing to take on luongos contract... Which i'm not)

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:43 PM
  #84
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,679
vCash: 610
I'm inclined to take Dubnyk's position: Ignore the first ten games.

And weep for him when Potter and Whitney are on the ice.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:02 AM
  #85
oilerbear
Registered User
 
oilerbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
No, I just don't have any confidence in him.
What was Dubnyk's record and stats with Smid-Petry-Whitney-Schultz/Sutton.
Once DD/KHB shared starting in Nov last year?
26 games:
16W - 8L - 2 OTL 2.03GA .939 SV%

This year 3W-2L 264 Min 3.18GA .907SV%
Against SJ
1L
20 Min
6 GA
17 Shots
18.00GA
.647 SV%
Our team was Historically awful as a whole for the 20.

The other 4 games:
3W-1L
244Min
8GA
133 Shots
1.97GA
.940 SV%

it was indicated by K. Fraser that by rule
like the disallowed RNH goal
the backland goal should have been disallowed.
It took away our chance to be 4W-1L

Dubnyk out dueled 3 of the top 5 Goalies from the Western Conference.
Luongo
Quick
Kiprisoff 3G on 20 shots; DD 4G??? 3G on 35 Shots

Before the SJ game he had 23 games in a row of 3G or less.

So with the major basis of our D
Dubnyk has been
19W-9L-2 OTL less than 2GA and .940 Save%
Plus 1 bad period as a team.

OPINIONS
Definition: Ideas not based on fact or Knowledge.


Last edited by oilerbear: 01-30-2013 at 12:26 AM.
oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:22 AM
  #86
oilerbear
Registered User
 
oilerbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERS91 View Post
Dubs is a good goalie. My personal problem with him is he never makes the big save. Where you say man that was a sure goal that he robbed.

Everyone lets in bad goals here and there but Dubs lets far to many of them in. Almost at a rate of 1 per game.
Video please?

I would love a game by game identification of these bad goals.
Which you clearly looked up.
Since you presenting these facts.


You might want present the expected success rate of these shots based on
1. Shot types (nhl.com Play by Play)
2. location of shot in Off Zone (ESPN full game shot Chart)
3. path of Shot (Espn Shot Chart with Description)
4. location of the shot relative to the 7 goalie holes. (cbs game information)

There is a fairly extensive group of studies on these.

Her is a secret about the flashy saves.
There are not that many in a 82GM 32 shot /GM 2462 Shot Season.

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:34 AM
  #87
Chooch
Registered User
 
Chooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 784
vCash: 500
Honestly, put any goalie out there with this teams horrible 5on5 play and you will still find yourself complaining about the goalie if you are still oblivious to the actual problem.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:44 AM
  #88
AM
Registered User
 
AM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,891
vCash: 500
Hes been better then previous years.

He always gave up one easy goal. I think over 5 games he has give up 3 or so.

O.5 easy goals a game is better then 1.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:59 AM
  #89
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Video please?

I would love a game by game identification of these bad goals.
Which you clearly looked up.
Since you presenting these facts.


You might want present the expected success rate of these shots based on
1. Shot types (nhl.com Play by Play)
2. location of shot in Off Zone (ESPN full game shot Chart)
3. path of Shot (Espn Shot Chart with Description)
4. location of the shot relative to the 7 goalie holes. (cbs game information)

There is a fairly extensive group of studies on these.

Her is a secret about the flashy saves.
There are not that many in a 82GM 32 shot /GM 2462 Shot Season.
Theres plenty of videos of Dubnyk's weak goals on the Oilers site...you can scour all the games he's played over the years and check them out.

The ones that stuck out for me the most last season ...probably because I had family asking WTF is that goalie doing on those shots

Nov 10, 2011 - Caron, Sequin, Lucic...Oilers were heading into the game as a "top" team [still early in season] and after this game, team started falling apart...and that falling down on Seguin goal was brutal

Jan 2, 2012 - Toews, Hayes...even in victory, 2 of the 3 goals were weak.

Feel free to prove otherwise

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:02 AM
  #90
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
Honestly, put any goalie out there with this teams horrible 5on5 play and you will still find yourself complaining about the goalie if you are still oblivious to the actual problem.
Just because the players up front are playing like crap doesn't mean goalie has to be

And letting softies per game = playing like crap

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:06 AM
  #91
Smartguy
Registered User
 
Smartguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
What was Dubnyk's record and stats with Smid-Petry-Whitney-Schultz/Sutton.
Once DD/KHB shared starting in Nov last year?
26 games:
16W - 8L - 2 OTL 2.03GA .939 SV%

This year 3W-2L 264 Min 3.18GA .907SV%
Against SJ
1L
20 Min
6 GA
17 Shots
18.00GA
.647 SV%
Our team was Historically awful as a whole for the 20.

The other 4 games:
3W-1L
244Min
8GA
133 Shots
1.97GA
.940 SV%

it was indicated by K. Fraser that by rule
like the disallowed RNH goal
the backland goal should have been disallowed.
It took away our chance to be 4W-1L

Dubnyk out dueled 3 of the top 5 Goalies from the Western Conference.
Luongo
Quick
Kiprisoff 3G on 20 shots; DD 4G??? 3G on 35 Shots

Before the SJ game he had 23 games in a row of 3G or less.

So with the major basis of our D
Dubnyk has been
19W-9L-2 OTL less than 2GA and .940 Save%
Plus 1 bad period as a team.

OPINIONS
Definition: Ideas not based on fact or Knowledge.
Thank you for posting these stats, I don't understand how people have given up on him so early into the season. Theses stats show that he is a very good goalie and will continue to grow on these numbers. I believe that dubnyk can be our goalie in the future and is a good option right now. He made 37 saves against the avalanche the other night and not all of those shots were easy. Sure he may have allowed in a soft goal here and there but I believe if we get better in front of him he will gain confidence and stop those soft ones. This is also his first year as a undisputed starter and people just need to give him time to become that goalie we all hope for.

Smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:10 AM
  #92
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GO99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
The two goals I absoluted have hated this year is Vancouvers first goal on that long shot by Edler and Coutoures PP goal to make it 2-0.

I really didn't like COL goal last night although Dubs was excellent as a whole.

GO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:13 AM
  #93
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GO99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
I always write about this and it sounds weird, but do all goalies wear similar sized equipment up top? I know it is measured ,etc, but I look at a guy like Luongo. He seems to be around the same height and size as Dubs. Is it his stance? He looks like a blimp. When they zoom in on his chest and shoulders they look Garth Snow like. Dubnyk looks like he is wearing the tightest sweater he can lol.

Even pad wise. Some goalies just find it harder to move with the biggest pads they are allowed to wear?

GO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:58 AM
  #94
Kilts79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Think he will play tommorrow?

Kilts79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:18 AM
  #95
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartguy View Post
Thank you for posting these stats, I don't understand how people have given up on him so early into the season. Theses stats show that he is a very good goalie and will continue to grow on these numbers. I believe that dubnyk can be our goalie in the future and is a good option right now. He made 37 saves against the avalanche the other night and not all of those shots were easy. Sure he may have allowed in a soft goal here and there but I believe if we get better in front of him he will gain confidence and stop those soft ones. This is also his first year as a undisputed starter and people just need to give him time to become that goalie we all hope for.
Stats dont tell the whole story. Grant Fuhr isn't a HOF Goaltender if you go by his stats.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:48 AM
  #96
Chooch
Registered User
 
Chooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Just because the players up front are playing like crap doesn't mean goalie has to be

And letting softies per game = playing like crap
When the team plays like crap, how is that supposed to make the person with the most vital job on the team have a spotless game? Actually, that has happened. Dubnyk has bailed this team out way more than people like you realize but you just can't see it because you are so blinded by a soft goal he lets in here and there.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:52 AM
  #97
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
When the team plays like crap, how is that supposed to make the person with the most vital job on the team have a spotless game? Actually, that has happened. Dubnyk has bailed this team out way more than people like you realize but you just can't see it because you are so blinded by a soft goal he lets in every game.
Fixed it for you.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:17 AM
  #98
83Hemsky83
Registered User
 
83Hemsky83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saskatchatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
I do have faith in Dub. But I honestly at the same time don't have faith in his goaltending. He seems so weak at times that I just want to cry.

But I also think think is a problem with our team as a whole. We brought in Khabi and he stunk besides those few games at the beginning of last year. I honestly think Edmonton is a DEADSPOT for FA's; everyone's(30+) career seems to die in Edmonton its ridiculous.

83Hemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:33 PM
  #99
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces
 
Aceonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,535
vCash: 500
The problem with Dubnyk is his vision and how he covers the puck.

That P.A goal was too easy. If he had fully knelt down it would not have gone in. Even the Backlund goal was badly covered.

IMO this season should be do or die for him. Our D has not been great, but that is when he needs to step it up. Weak goals in the 1st destroy the teams morale.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:34 PM
  #100
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GO99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
He just doesn't seem to cover a lot of net for a big man IMO.

GO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.