HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Has there ever been a "Bo Jackson" type player in the NHL?

Old
01-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
I kind of believe you but really dont understand why he couldnt say Bo knows hockey well lol...

Its 10000x better than he said no. Cuz its probably true haha
Sometimes people just choke in front of the camera. Even great actors sometimes struggle with getting a line right from time to time.

You "kind of" believe me? It was in his autobiography. It's not like I heard it on the street or something.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:40 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Lionel Conacher is kinda like Jim Thorpe. They are on the Bo Jackson level of dominating their peers, but are not even close to the Bo Jackson / LeBron James absolute level of athleticism.
in the future, cyborgs >>>>> lebron.

but if you want to play this game, then no there has never been a bo jackson in the NHL. /thread

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 906
Here in Sweden we had Sven Bergqvist who played 35 internationals as a goalkeeper in soccer and in 30 as an ice hockey defenceman.

Hans Mild played 31 and 63 respectively.

And of course Sven "Tumba" Johansson although he only qualified for one international in soccer.

What should be remembered when it comes to these chaps though is that Sweden was pretty good at soccer back in the days. I mean we're talking medals during the olympics and World Cup.

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 01-28-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Uncle Rotter

Syl Apps was 6th in the Pole Vault at the 1936 Olympics

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_James

In a short 18-week span of the overlapping 1959 CFL season and 1959–60 NHL season, James became the only player in history to play in the finals for the CFL's Grey Cup (November 28, 1959—won cup) and the NHL's Stanley Cup (first game April 9, 1960—lost cup) in the same season. He joins Lionel Conacher as the only two people to play the finals for both the Grey Cup and Stanley Cup in their careers. (Conacher won the 1921 Grey Cup, then later won the 1934 and 1935 Stanley Cup.)
A couple of things to remember about Gerry James. He played in the 6 team NHL & during an era when many star US football players came north for more money than they would get in the NFL

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Didn't see anyone mention Tie Domi,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tie_Dom...rican_football

Although he didn't play in the NHL, the first name I thought of who was a multi-sport athlete in hockey/football was Hobey Baker.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobey_Baker

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Sometimes people just choke in front of the camera. Even great actors sometimes struggle with getting a line right from time to time.

You "kind of" believe me? It was in his autobiography. It's not like I heard it on the street or something.
I did not know the truth in that but it was so minuscule but so detailed that I was not sure if you really heard it from a real source or from streets. Thats all, but thats good 2 know

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Thesensation19

For everyone saying no, I think your really underestimating what athleticsm is. All jokes aside, Could Bo Jackson really ever play at the NHL level?

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:04 PM
kingdok

Just had a flashback of this:

from this set

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:12 PM
neksys

Alex Burrows was a legit star in the ball hockey world. In 2005, he was named the International Ball Hockey Player of the Year. He has also been inducted into the International Ball Hockey Hall of Fame. Won his last world ball hockey championship while with the Canucks.

No, not quite "Bo Jackson" level, but still interesting.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:15 PM
JWINK19
southern Devils fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Ahhh, yeah, the career ended too soon label. That doesn't get you into the hall of fame. Neither do 500 career carries and career highs of 5 td and 950 yds. That would be like a baseball player having a couple of 15 G, 30 pts seasons.
If you want to use stats, how about some context? The year he got 950 yards, he played in 11 games. The other years he played 7, 10 and 10. In his short career, he played 38 games and averaged 73 yards a game. Over a full season, that's 1168 yards. Pretty good if you ask me. Plus, as someone mentioned earlier, he has the highest yards per carry in league history. Almost 5 1/2 a pop. He was an above average baseball player, but he was HOF caliber in football.

JWINK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 05:05 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Bouse Hutton won the Stanley Cup, the Minto Cup (lacrosse) and the CFL championship

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:03 PM
silkyjohnson50*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
Also, how the heck does LeBron James even possibly get brought into this conversation?? I won't argue his basketball status, but to compare him as an 'athlete' to Bo? Talk about you don't know diddly!!
LeBron James would have been the #1 recruit coming out of high school had he decided to play football. As a sophomore and junior he was considered the top WR in the state of Ohio, which is a real strong high school football state.

Obviously he decided after his junior year to focus only on basketball, but that's why you see (and will continue to see) his name come up in any type of all time athlete list. There's no doubt in many minds that James would be an elite talent in football as well.

Why he also gets mentioned is he's impossible to ignore from a pure physical standpoint. He's so skilled (coordination/motor skills/ball skills), yet he's so physically blessed (much like Bo Jackson.)

He's a freak of nature and IMO he's the greatest pure athlete I've ever seen. You're simply not supposed to have that combination of skill, size, speed, and explosiveness.

silkyjohnson50* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:15 PM
vecens24

Has anyone mentioned Jaroslav Drobny yet? Drobny won Wimbledon in 1954. He could have been the first European in the NHL in 1949. He was placed on the Bruins reserve list and also apparently offered $20,000 to play for the Bruins, but turned it down.

Lionel Conacher was probably the closest thing the NHL's ever seen to a Bo Jackson, but I still don't think there's ever been anyone like Bo.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:19 PM
thom

Doug Harvey was a tremendous baseball player who was invited to training camp he was on of the top Amature baseball players in Quebec

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:22 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Lol the guy you talking about is 6'2 195lbs . Nowhere close to Lebron James 6'8 253 lbs. Conacher bio is nice but im not that impressed with playing in the CFL in 1920 lol. Bo jackson played in the NFL as an hobby
Training and diet in the 20's was way worse. You can't compare guys decades apart, if you don't take those differences into account

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:35 PM
whatname

Most of the multi-sport hockey players had to decide between hockey and the other sport(s) at an early age, so we don't see that many of them.

Chara's old man wrestled in the Olympics, I'm pretty sure if he dedicated himself, Chara could have been a great wrestler. I'm pretty sure he could hurt Lebron James pretty bad if they get into a fight. I heard that back when Chara and Havlat were with the Sens, Havlat wanted to train in wrestling with Chara, so Havlat went to Chara's home. Havlat quit in like two days.

whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:53 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Hank Lammens

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:57 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
just fyi, no one in america considers lacrosse a real sport. same goes for squash, crew, sailing, etc etc.

lets focus on the big four , and to the standards of the best leagues not anything less.
If we include lacrosse, then NFLer Jim Brown gets added into the conversation.

EDIT: I see someone else mentioned Brown. Since he's regarded by many as one of the greatest lacrosse players, this kinda ends the "lacrosse is for rich white kids" argument.

I'm 40. In my lifetime, Bo Jackson is the most impressive athlete I've ever seen. And this is coming from someone who doesn't bother to watch his hometown NFL team play anymore but who does show up at hockey scrimmages.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Hot Water Bottle
1/2 Man 1/2 Porridge

It's Brett Hull, golfer extraordinaire!

Hot Water Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:41 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
Also, how the heck does LeBron James even possibly get brought into this conversation?? I won't argue his basketball status, but to compare him as an 'athlete' to Bo? Talk about you don't know diddly!!
Seems like a lot of kids these days like to rave about Lebron's 'athleticism' at every chance they get.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Better than Bo Jackson: Lionel Conacher. He is in the Hockey Hall of Fame AND the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.
Ya, he was also a Hell of a Lacrosse & Baseball player, Boxing & Wrestling... Eric Lindros as well, the details of which Im unsure of, was I believe a prospect with the Toronto Blue Jays at one point. Whether it was just a publicity stunt or whatever no idea, but he does appear in a 1990 card collection in a Jays uniform apparently.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Hans Mild played 31 and 63 respectively.
Looking into it a bit more, he was named Swedens best soccer player in 1964 the year after he was chosen to the All-Star Team at the ice hockey World Championships. He must rank quite high on this list?

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:44 PM
JWINK19
southern Devils fan

If Lebron was that good in football, then yeah, he is indeed pretty athletic. Another name for the list is a guy who was drafted in baseball, football AND basketball: Dave Winfield.

JWINK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:14 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWINK19 View Post
If Lebron was that good in football, then yeah, he is indeed pretty athletic. Another name for the list is a guy who was drafted in baseball, football AND basketball: Dave Winfield.
I was just about to bring up Winfield.

There have also been a bunch of players who played two sports in college and ultimately had to pick one - Tony Gonzalez, the Falcon's future-HOF TE played basketball at Cal, for example.

A couple of nice NHL.Com pieces on Tom Glavine from 2005 & 2008 - sadly the original links are dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier
Tom Glavine was a hockey star at Billerica(Mass.) High School and a fourth-round draft pick of the LA Kings in 1984.

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1984/84069.html
There was a nice piece on nhl.com about Glavine's hockey background and his choice between MLB and the NHL:

http://www.nhl.com/intheslot/read/fe...ine071304.html

Quote:
"It was a tough decision to make, that's for sure," Glavine recalled. "When I was picking colleges, most wanted me to give up one of the two sports. So I finally ended up weighing the issues.

"Baseball created the opportunity for me to play right away. Although I would be starting out in the minor leagues, I knew that it wouldn't take that long for me to reach the major leagues.

"Hockey, on the other hand, didn't offer me that. I would have been going on to college first before making the Kings. And there was no guarantee that I would make the Kings. After all, I was a fourth-round selection.

"Then there was the longevity of a career in baseball versus one in hockey. Baseball came out ahead in that one. Finally, there was the simple fact that I was a left-handed pitcher. There aren't too many left-handed pitchers, or at least good ones, in the majors today or even at that time. I felt being left-handed gave me the edge in making the majors sooner than had I been right-handed.

"What it came down to in the end was taking a chance with baseball and giving up a college scholarship. Being a second-round pick in the baseball draft, I received a pretty good bonus. I made my decision and I went with baseball.

"I have no regrets about my professional decision. I know I made the right one for myself. But I'll always love the game of hockey. It's in my blood."
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
There is a nice Tom Glavine piece on NHL.com.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=350858

For those who don't know - Glavine was drafted in 1984 in the 4th round by the LA Kings (ahead of Brett Hull and Luc Robitaille) before opting for the Atlanta Braves and a HOF baseball career.

Quote:
“I think about it quite a bit,” said Glavine, who is returning to the Atlanta Braves in 2008 after spending the past five seasons with the New York Mets. “Before, I think it was whenever I would go to a (hockey) game. You’d watch the game and you’d see what was going on, and you kind of try to evaluate what I would have done or how I would have matured and whether or not I would have made it. I think now with my kids playing, me getting on the ice a little bit more, I kind of wonder a little bit more what would have happened, but I certainly don’t have any regrets or second thoughts about my decision. I think I made the right one. But I miss playing the game, and I’ll always wonder what would have happened.”

Glavine also is enjoying the fact that Atlanta has become a viable hockey market. With people from all across the country moving to Georgia’s biggest city, the demand for hockey has grown.

“The Thrashers seem to be very popular among the kids here,” said Glavine, a father of four. “It seems to be the kind of thing that is viable. I think it’s going to continue to grow. Atlanta is such a transient city. You have so many people here from the Northeast, you’re getting a lot of people here from the Midwest, and all those people have hockey backgrounds. I think with the influx of people coming here who grew up with hockey – and their kids want to play hockey – I think that’s only going to help to continue to grow the interest in the Thrashers. It’s going to continue to grow the youth programs around here. When they become stable and popular, then I think the interest in hockey is always going to be there. Much of it starts with getting the kids interested and getting them to understand it.”

Glavine’s children certainly are interested. Perhaps one day one of them will have to choose between baseball and hockey, too. If that ever happens, what will Dad’s advice be?

“You sit down and you weigh the options and just try to make an honest assessment of both sports, and really, what your ability is in both of those sports,” Glavine said. “In my case, it wasn’t necessarily really a decision of which sport I liked better. If that was the case, I probably would have chosen hockey. But you have to weigh everything into the equation. But believe me, if any of my kids are faced with that decision, that’ll be a happy day for me to sit down with them and go over that.”
Then again, there's always ...

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote