HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Aves @ Oilers - Monday, 1/28/2013 @ 7:30 MT

View Poll Results: Best song of the decade
Justin Bieber - Baby 5 6.67%
Nicki Minaj - Stupid Hoe 4 5.33%
Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe 22 29.33%
PSY - Gangam Style 16 21.33%
Flo Rida - Whistle 1 1.33%
Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger 4 5.33%
Katy Perry - Last Friday Night 4 5.33%
LMFAO - Sexy and I know It 6 8.00%
Keith Urban - Red Solo Cup 4 5.33%
JWK's Future Disney Career 9 12.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
When people write Aves, do they still pronounce it "Avs"? I once played golf with a guy that kept saying "Avvies" - I wanted to push him into a water hazard.
I think it's more eivees. There should be room for personal interpretation though.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:07 PM
FunkyChicken

vCash: 500
Was looking forward to seeing Landeskog play, hope he's back soon.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Drizzt1

I almost had a man cry when I read Landeskog is out
Our team just can't take a trick on and off the ice.

Oh, and Subban signed to the 2 year deal at Montreal.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Appleanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
I almost had a man cry when I read Landeskog is out
Our team just can't take a trick on and off the ice.

Oh, and Subban signed to the 2 year deal at Montreal.
So Subban gets 2.9m a year for 2 years, ROR wants 1-2m more.. nice.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:25 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Sorry if I missed it, any official word on Landeskog's injury? Details? Expected length of time out?

Ed: Just got it off twitter. Head injury, avs not saying concussion, but not saying it isn't. No timetable. ------per Dater.

Nice.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:30 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTheGreat View Post
Sorry if I missed it, any official word on Landeskog's injury? Details? Expected length of time out?

Ed: Just got it off twitter. Head injury, avs not saying concussion, but not saying it isn't. No timetable. ------per Dater.

Nice.
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...n-avs-continue

Read more: Avs captain Gabriel Landeskog out indefinitely with head, leg injuries - The Denver Post

EDMONTON, Alberta — The Avalanche was dealt a crippling blow Monday when it was determined that captain Gabriel Landeskog would be lost indefinitely to head and leg injuries, the result of a huge hit he took Saturday from the San Jose Sharks' Brad Stuart.
Landeskog will miss Monday's game with the Edmonton Oilers, and the Avs say there is no timetable on his return. The team did not say Landeskog has a concussion, but declined to be more specific than the general term of head injury.
The puzzling aspect to Landeskog's sudden sidelining is that he returned to play with seemingly no ill effects early in the second period of Saturday's game, after taking the blow from Stuart late in the first period. Landeskog said he felt good after the game.
Landeskog did not practice Sunday, but the team gave no indication he was hurt, and he had already missed a practice earlier this season from a routine "maintenance day."
Symptoms worsened entering Monday, however. The Avs already have lost a top forward, Steve Downie, to a season-ending knee injury. Losing Landeskog — the NHL's rookie of the year in 2011-12 — for any serious length of time would be a massive blow to the Avs' playoff aspirations.
Based on last year's roster, the Avs are now without three of their top nine forwards from last season in Landeskog, Downie and holdout Ryan O'Reilly.
There was "nothing new at all" on the O'Reilly holdout situation, when his agent, Mark Guy, was contacted Monday. If Landeskog is out a while, it obviously ups the pressure on the Avs to get another forward, and their leading scorer from last season would be a welcome addition.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTheGreat View Post
All they've said is that it's a head/neck injury and that he hurt his knee as well. He'll miss tonight's game. Beyond that, nothing. No confirmation what the injuries are, but I think we all know what it likely is.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:46 PM
NateTheGreat

This game is huge. Honestly Saturday was pathetic, one of the most frustrating games to watch as an avs fan, after Landeskog got hit we were soft and had no heart. I just dont get it. Management wants our team to have character guys yet when its time to fight through adversity we hide and go soft on the ice, its just frustrating. Tonight's the test, our captain is injured, O'Reilly's holding out, and Downie tore his ACL last week, this team needs to show us how much character they have tonight. 4-3 avs, Duchene will have a big game.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Good View Post
This game is huge. Honestly Saturday was pathetic, one of the most frustrating games to watch as an avs fan, after Landeskog got hit we were soft and had no heart. I just dont get it. Management wants our team to have character guys yet when its time to fight through adversity we hide and go soft on the ice, its just frustrating. Tonight's the test, our captain is injured, O'Reilly's holding out, and Downie tore his ACL last week, this team needs to show us how much character they have tonight. 4-3 avs, Duchene will have a big game.
I can be a pretty tough critic, but if Landeskog actually "does" have any type of concussion or head injury, and returned, I'd hardly call that soft mate.

I really don't think we are soft. We are quite gritty to be honest. We just lack a few high end, skilled consistent producers both in the forwards, and in defense.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Landeslog

Quote:
I can be a pretty tough critic, but if Landeskog actually "does" have any type of concussion or head injury, and returned, I'd hardly call that soft mate.

I really don't think we are soft. We are quite gritty to be honest. We just lack a few high end, skilled consistent producers both in the forwards, and in defense.
Playing with a concussion is not gritty, It's stupid.

But I agree in general. I think we have gritty players they just didn't play gritty after getting down early

Old
01-28-2013, 08:00 PM
NateTheGreat

Quote:

I agree we have grit on our team but when its time to show it, they don't. That's what i meant to say, and don't get me wrong I love Lando and in no way is he soft, but our other forwards like Stastny needs to step up in his absence, guess we'll see tonight, but so far that whole line has looked soft since the start of season.

Not trying to bash the Avs i love them, but sometimes i get so frustrated with them as i was Saturday.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

This team is full of problems, but being soft has never been one of them. There was a time when they were too small and banged up, but I wouldn't have called them soft. It's completely erroneous to do so now. If anything, they've sacrificed too much puck skill and speed in order to become bigger and tougher.

What you're calling a "soft" game is an inability to sustain offensive pressure, and that stems from a nonexistent transition game and defense that can't contribute offensively. The Avs wanted to be a team that was "hard to play against" that could pressure the puck in all three zones. But they can't do that without speed and a puck possession game.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

First of all, we don't know if Landeskog has a concussion or not.

Secondly, if Landeskog, the trainers or the coach thought he had one, he obviously wouldn't have returned. Sometimes there is a lag to these things.

I know it's easy to look for someone to be at fault here, but it's more likely that everyone was doing what they should. They're not idiots.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:03 PM
IceRat
#BallsOnTheTable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post

What you're calling a "soft" game is an inability to sustain offensive pressure, and that stems from a nonexistent transition game and defense that can't contribute offensively. The Avs wanted to be a team that was "hard to play against" that could pressure the puck in all three zones. But they can't do that without speed and a puck possession game.
^ so well said

Old
01-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeslog View Post

But I agree in general. I think we have gritty players they just didn't play gritty after getting down early
Concussions are hard to diagnose until a couple days after the incident. It makes perfect sense for him to return thinking he was fine, and now today be getting strong concussion symptoms.

The part I don't understand is if he also has a leg injury, why did he come back with a leg injury, that part seems dumb not so much on Landys part but on the Trainers and the Coaching staff to let him back. Obviously Landy will come back if he's told he can. Every player would.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

vCash: 125
Anyone know why Hejda's out tonight?

Old
01-28-2013, 08:13 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani bushido View Post
think i'd rather put peter worrell out there instead of hejduk.

So would I.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Marc Moser ‏@RadioMoser

Shane O'Brien on ice for Avs.... Looks like he will go tonight..

Old
01-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeslog View Post

I don't mean to be rude, but have you ever played a contact sport like hockey? It's not that easy to diagnose--certainly not easy at all to self-diagnose. A hockey player takes plenty of blows to the head. If they sat out after every time they came up feeling a little woozy, they'd miss major ice time all the damned time.

I agree with Adam Proteau that the League needs to institute a policy that forces a player to sit after a violent blow to the head like that...but it's ridiculous to call a player "stupid" when at the time he was likely feeling fine.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Marc Moser ‏@RadioMoser

Shane O'Brien on ice for Avs.... Looks like he will go tonight..
Damn, I took only 2 penalties for Avs.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:18 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Just reading things on twitter, sounds like O'Brien might be in for Hejda. Not sure if that's true.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
Damn, I took only 2 penalties for Avs.
You know how some mammals build up a supply of fat to last them through winter? Shane O'Brien is like that. He won't be able to catch anyone tonight so there will be no penalties.

Old
Landeslog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but have you ever played a contact sport like hockey? It's not that easy to diagnose--certainly not easy at all to self-diagnose. A hockey player takes plenty of blows to the head. If they sat out after every time they came up feeling a little woozy, they'd miss major ice time all the damned time.

I agree with Adam Proteau that the League needs to institute a policy that forces a player to sit after a violent blow to the head like that...but it's ridiculous to call a player "stupid" when at the time he was likely feeling fine.
I was referring to if they knew it was a concussion and decided to play.
Obviously if he didn't think he had a concussion and played it wouldn't be stupid
The way Drizzt said it made me think he was referring to playing with a concussion, knowing you had it. Guess I read it wrong

And no worries, not rude.

Old
Unaffiliated

Apparently you can share GCL.

YAY I GET GOOD STREAMS FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR

Old
SB

Guys on tv didn't say concussion, just said very very sore, like getting hit by a truck. Which is not a specific thing, could still be concussion. Probably whiplash or something. They didn't make it sound like he'd be out long, but....

Closed Thread