HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

If Toronto gets a second team

Old
01-28-2013, 08:29 AM
birddog*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Yep. I've often thought about this. If you switch you fan loyalty to another team, you get thrown under the bus. But in reality, what has MLSE done to EARN fan loyalty over the last ~8 years? I'm not saying I'm going to switch loyalty, because I feel I've been a fan for too long and couldn't. But I have wondered why I do bother to continue to support this team.
- Highest ticket prices in the league
- Only team not to have made the playoffs in that span
- Still has a questionable future with only a mediocre prospect pool and no real franchise players on the roster either
- Lame atmosphere at games compared to many other arenas
They don't deserve our loyalty. Haven't earned it and take it for granted. Burke would often through it in your face calling Leaf fans stupid for their blind support. Saying that we should "get a life".

There have been times where you can tell they aren't 100% committed to getting better. There true colours come out when guys like Nash and big UFA's are open for bidding. They make more money than anyone but don't bid for Kovalchuk, come up short on Brad Richards, Mike Richards, Carter, nash and find excuses why expensive players aren't a fit.

All the while they overpay mediocre players like Grabovski, Komisarik, Connolly, etc. Sadly -- they either don't know how to run a team or are unwilling.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:55 AM
Morlu

They would be my #2. I would always support the leafs but Id also support any team in my city.

Morlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
if a second team comes to Toronto,
how many people would switch elegance
and become fans of the new team?
personaly i woudn't, but still want a second
team here
I'd be a polygamist and have 2 wives.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Twix
Patch of velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
lol at people who still think Markham is at the top of the list for a 2nd GTA team. A market with no good transportation link and one of the lowest GTA city populations with a 50% Asian immigrant population who care jack squat about hockey.

Markham would blow for a second team in Toronto. Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughan and Hamilton would all be before Markham.
The GTA consists of 24 towns and cities. Markham is the THIRD largest of the 24 in terms of population with only Brampton and Mississauga being larger. You honestly have no idea what your talking about.

Twix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:28 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
lol at people who still think Markham is at the top of the list for a 2nd GTA team. A market with no good transportation link and one of the lowest GTA city populations with a 50% Asian immigrant population who care jack squat about hockey.

Markham would blow for a second team in Toronto. Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughan and Hamilton would all be before Markham.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
The GTA consists of 24 towns and cities. Markham is the THIRD largest of the 24 in terms of population with only Brampton and Mississauga being larger. You honestly have no idea what your talking about.
Andddd there's the logic hammer to destroy silly senseless factually-baseless arguments.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:29 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
I was hoping someone would shed some light on that post

Isn't Markham and surrounding area home of some of the higher income earners in the GTA as well?

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:32 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I was hoping someone would shed some light on that post

Isn't Markham and surrounding area home of some of the higher income earners in the GTA as well?
Yep..

I would say there are probably a solid ~2M people who could more easily access an arena in Markham than they could in DT Toronto. Markham, Vaughn, Brampton, parts of Scarborough/North York, Pickering/Ajax/Whitby/Oshawa, Aurora/NewMarket, etc.

Not to mention it doesn't impede the possibility of adding a team to Hamilton eventually the same way that adding a team to say Mississauga would (since Mississauga would compete for fans from Oakville/Burlington/Guelph/K-W, all of which are closer to Hamilton).

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:39 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Yep..

I would say there are probably a solid ~2M people who could more easily access an arena in Markham than they could in DT Toronto. Markham, Vaughn, Brampton, parts of Scarborough/North York, Pickering/Ajax/Whitby/Oshawa, Aurora/NewMarket, etc.

Not to mention it doesn't impede the possibility of adding a team to Hamilton eventually the same way that adding a team to say Mississauga would (since Mississauga would compete for fans from Oakville/Burlington/Guelph/K-W, all of which are closer to Hamilton).
The key here is north Toronto -- near the 407 -- in many ways easier to acces than downtown. People would come from all the towns you mention.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:12 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Never

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
This is a depressed town (don't tell me success/failure of a sports team doesn't affect people's mood.. hell yes it does).

We could easily use a winning hockey team (and our only option is having a second one).

Having said all that, I won't be going to the 2nd toronto team.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:51 AM
The Big D

Quote:
They're wasting their money on an NHL caliber arena (if it really is) because no way no how would a 2nd Toronto team ever go to Markham. Smallest Population in the GTA, Least interest for hockey among their demographics in the GTA, Terrible highway access, terrible Public transit and on the wrong side of the side of Toronto.
Agreed, not to be biased as I now live in Mississauga, but if a 2nd team in the GTA were to have to exist in the "905" the square one area would be the spot, easy access from the 403, 401, qew & even the 407. Eventual subway line to there and a large population. Base from etobicoke/oakville/Brampton not to mention Mississauga is 750,000
On its own, Markham is literally the worst spot in the GTA, aside from being far enough from buffalo's territorial rights.

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Anth93

As a Leafs/Raptors/Jays/Redskins fan who's seen one playoff game in five years.. I could NEVER switch allegiance to a different team. How could you justify it?

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Hockey Crazy

I could never switch teams. I'm sure they would get a lot of fans though.

I was just talking to someone the other day about how sad it is that there is a whole generation of Toronto kids that have never really seen the Leafs make the playoffs. Many of us still remember the Sundin days and the conference finals, but if there were a second team and they were half decent, you would see a whole generation of Toronto kids grow up following them.

Hockey Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Jatt

It would be fantastic, all the bandwagoners/hockey fans that whine and complain about the Leafs could now be easily identified as Markham fans, and they can't GTFO sooner. The rivalry would be fantastic in a White Sox/Cubs, Rangers/Islanders Clippers/Lakers kind of way. When the White Sox made the World Series fans practically protested that John Cusak among other celebrities were showing up at the ballpark since they are noted Cubs fans.

Jatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:47 PM
RtooDtu

I could totally see myself going to games and rooting for them. But the moment they play TML's i will always root for them.

However, i could see a younger generation who grew up with both teams and always going to TO "2nd" team wouldn't be a Leaf fan.

RtooDtu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Sundinftw

Why not

Sundinftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:29 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
if a second team comes to Toronto,
how many people would switch elegance
and become fans of the new team?
personaly i woudn't, but still want a second
team here
How does one switch elegance? Does one go from being elegant to uncouth or something?

If you mean switch allegiance, that is a different story. I, for one, might go to that teams games if tickets were more easily available but I would not stop being a Leafs fan.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Morlesio14*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Not being rude but wtf?
hahah i was going to do the same thing

Morlesio14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Wendelstache

a second team would make this team get it's management ***** together.

sick and tired of Mis-management since the ballard years.

Wendelstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
Quote:
Andddd there's the logic hammer to destroy silly senseless factually-baseless arguments.

West Side of GTA
Brampton Pop 523,911
Mississauga Pop 713,443
Vaughan Pop 288,301
Oakville Pop 182,520
Milton Pop 84,362
Burlington Pop 175,779
Hamilton Pop 519,949
Kitchener/Waterloo 300,000ish

East Side of GTA
Markham Pop 301,709
Pickering 88,721
Oshawa 145,680
Whitchurch–Stouffville 37,628
Aurora 53,203
Uxbridge 20,623

It may be the 3rd largest in itself, but my point was the area it is in is NOTHING compared to the west side of the GTA. Nice "logic hammer" though. I'll even leave out the fact that the 416 has nearly double to the amount of people living west of yonge, than east.

Urban Explorer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:04 PM
thecatch22

I live in Pickering, it's more than 88,000.

You also didn't include Whitby and Ajax on the east side.

thecatch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:23 PM
ironrhcp

Markham is actually a huge hockey town and has produced some great NHL'ers

Jeff Skinner
Steven Stamkos
Michael Del Zotto
Steve Thomas
Adam Oates
Raffi Torres
Stephen Weiss
Mike Zigomanis
Cody Hodgson
Cameron Gaunce
Brendon Gaunce

All from Markham look it up

ironrhcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:37 PM
goonx

with the leafs failing so hard.. If they can get a good team playing within 2-3 years and make the playoffs, they'll get a fanbase

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelstache View Post
a second team would make this team get it's management ***** together.

sick and tired of Mis-management since the ballard years.
Yeah I guess I'd volunteer to attend some games at the new arena. Just as a protest mind you, until the Leaf organization gets it's **** together. I know it will cost me some bucks going to the enemie's arena but hey we got to show MLSE we mean business.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironrhcp View Post
Markham is actually a huge hockey town and has produced some great NHL'ers

Jeff Skinner
Steven Stamkos
Michael Del Zotto
Steve Thomas
Adam Oates
Raffi Torres
Stephen Weiss
Mike Zigomanis
Cody Hodgson
Cameron Gaunce
Brendon Gaunce

All from Markham look it up
you could make a list like that about any city in the GTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch22 View Post
I live in Pickering, it's more than 88,000.

You also didn't include Whitby and Ajax on the east side.
The 2011 Census say's 88,000 people. But you live there, so you must know better, I guess you counted everyone. Regardless the east side of the GTA is a wasteland compared to the westside in terms of population density and people who care about hockey.

Sorry about forgetting ajax and whitby.. add in those places and the entire East Side has almost as many people as mississauga. lol

Last edited by Urban Explorer*: 01-28-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Urban Explorer* is offline   Reply With Quote