HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avalanche Jersey Pickups

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Avs Hockey Podcast
All Avs All the Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
I've never been into game worn/used stuff unless its gear like a stick or puck. It kinda creeps me out to see people gushing over the game used pants in the team store.

What are your guys feelings on buying stuff that has been worn, ie a blank jersey on eBay that has been worn/washed, etc off and on by the seller. I realize finding a old style jersey in perfect condition NWT is gonna be next to impossible but what should I look for. I don't typically buy anything that isn't new.
Agreed on the used pants. Icky.

And the thing I look closest at when it comes to used/washed jerseys is the crest. If it's wavy or looks flimsy the jersey has been washed a lot. If it has been washed a lot it has probably been dried a lot and that's bad. Most people don't understand that drying your jersey a lot will take its toll on the jersey overall. If the crest is still crisp, you should be good. Most of the used authentic jerseys I've seen on eBay haven't been too beat up. I've had a fair amount of success through the years with used jerseys on eBay.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:57 AM
agent22red
10/10/14

vCash: 206
I have a Forsberg away (when away was dark) Sakic home and my baby is a Quebec Nordiques signed Sakic sweater.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:10 PM
billybobjoe1881

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs Hockey Podcast View Post

And the thing I look closest at when it comes to used/washed jerseys is the crest. If it's wavy or looks flimsy the jersey has been washed a lot. If it has been washed a lot it has probably been dried a lot and that's bad. Most people don't understand that drying your jersey a lot will take its toll on the jersey overall. If the crest is still crisp, you should be good. Most of the used authentic jerseys I've seen on eBay haven't been too beat up. I've had a fair amount of success through the years with used jerseys on eBay.
Washing a jersey and hanging it to dry is OK though right? Just veryfiying.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:21 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:

I agree, the crest tells the tale. That said, I've been pretty lucky with finding "New With Tags" jerseys on ebay. I can think of 4 of my jerseys off the top of my head that were new (and everything I have but one is pre-2002). I'd assume that if someone is willing to put up the cash for an authentic jersey, they probably have enough interest in the sport/hobby to take care of it. And, the original buyer knew the price tag... they understand the value, so inherently it's in their best interest to keep it in good condition. I've seen tons of replica jerseys that are trashed - more inexpensive, less care I suppose. And...vote #2 for NEVER drying a jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
Washing a jersey and hanging it to dry is OK though right? Just veryfiying.
I don't wash unless there's a stain. I wear at least a t-shirt, usually a heavy long sleeved t-shirt underneath so I don't feel too gross about just hanging them up after I wear them, and it's not like I'm in them for a full day, once or twice a week. When I do wash, it's in a clean bathtub by hand - NOT in the washing machine, cold water and a little detergent. Toothbrush at the ready for any light scrubbing, and then rinse in cold and hang immediately.

Last edited by SuperTheGreat: 01-26-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

I've never had any issues (fading, etc) when washing in a machine on the extra delicate cycle, in cold water with just a bit of detergent and a pinch of oxyclean. But yeah never machine dry.

That said, I rarely wash my jerseys unless I spill something on them. I very rarely wear a hockey jersey somewhere that I'm gonna sweat a lot and stink it up.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:37 PM
billybobjoe1881

vCash: 50
I have a Roy jersey I bought back in grade six - 2002. I used to get it dirty all the time at school and would clean it with pink solution and cold water in the washing machine. It's the only jersey I've put through the dryer and it is very flimsy and gross now. I never dry anything now a days.

Old
01-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Avs Hockey Podcast
All Avs All the Time

I think there are a couple different types of jerseys we're talking about here. The replicas aren't made to last like the authentic/game worn jerseys. It's probably smart to be as careful as possible with them.

I have had no problems washing the authentic and game worn jerseys that I have if they need it. Cold and delicate cycle. Then I put them in the dryer on low for about 5-10 minutes to get the wrinkles out. After that I hang them to dry. I had to wash my Ryan O'Byrne Forsberg night gamer three or four times to try and get the stink out of it. It's still fine.

I'm thinking the keys are cold water, gentle cycle, and drying, if you want to, on low for just a few minutes. Washing in hot and drying on hot are nothing but trouble. Poor crests.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:08 PM
UtahSportsGuy
Rookie User

My collection:

-Teemu Selanne original third jersey
-Burgundy blank
-White blank

I was about to buy a Galiardi one then he got traded the next week to SJ. Right now, I want to purchase a Ryan O'Reilly one once the Avs brass re-signs him. I'm also looking to get a Landeskog and/or a Nordiques Sakic.

Any suggestions on the color I should get for ROR? Right now I'm leaning towards white.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSportsGuy View Post
My collection:

-Burgundy blank
-White blank

I was about to buy a Galiardi one then he got traded the next week to SJ. Right now, I want to purchase a Ryan O'Reilly one once the Avs brass re-signs him. I'm also looking to get a Landeskog and/or a Nordiques Sakic.

Any suggestions on the color I should get for ROR? Right now I'm leaning towards white.
Welcome to the jersey thread. We're lucky to have Jay here who is the most knowledgeable and sick individual when it comes to jerseys. He'll be able to put his kids through college if he sells his jersey collection.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:49 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSportsGuy View Post
My collection:

-Burgundy blank
-White blank

First post in the jersey thread, nice! Welcome. Snap pics of your collection & post 'em up. Love seeing everyone's jerseys. As for the O'Reilly, I might wait. With his contract antics, he may go the way of Galiardi. I'm not a huge fan of the Edge jerseys, but if he signs and stays I agree - go white. I do like the crisp look of the backs on the whites. Blueberries are ok, too.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Blueberry would be my first choice, with White #2. For some reason I've never really liked the Blue/Burgundy...although I do own two of them.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

If anyone is interested check Marshall's/TJ Maxx. They had both the Black and Burgandy Avs Practice jerseys for 20 bucks. Dunno if there is such a thing as an Authentic or Replica practice jersey. But these looked like replicas.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Avs Hockey Podcast
All Avs All the Time

Denver Athletic Blast!

Plenty more details to come in a blog post that will be up within the next few days.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Avs Hockey Podcast
All Avs All the Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The U View Post
Welcome to the jersey thread. We're lucky to have Jay here who is the most knowledgeable and sick individual when it comes to jerseys. He'll be able to put his kids through college if he sells his jersey collection.
Ha! Nice Greg. Thanks man.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Denver Athletic Blast!

Plenty more details to come in a blog post that will be up within the next few days.
Nice.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Avs Hockey Podcast
All Avs All the Time

Just finished a post on my blog about my latest order from Denver Athletic. Feel free to check it out here:

http://www.avshockeypodcast.com/2013...adness-update/

Plenty of pics and why I chose to put certain players on certain jerseys. Let me know what your favorite of the bunch is too!

Let's Go Avs!

Old
02-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Good stuff. Love the blueberry Lando and the "62" Stastny.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:37 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
WHOO-HOO!

I need to first give a HUGE "THANK YOU!" to SuperTheGreat, he had that very nice Forsberg White Away jersey that he posted about shortly after Christmas. It wasn't long after he had posted that he was going to put it up for sale that I contacted him.

Well...circumstances beyond my control prevented me from having the money for him until just this past weekend. We PM'd each other and talked back and forth, and on Saturday I sent him his payment. Imagine my surprise when TODAY my package arrived!

Here it is, in all it's glory!

ForsbergJersey1.jpg

ForsbergJersey2.jpg

Thanks again SuperTheGreat! I love it already man!

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
02-25-2013, 07:49 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
WHOO-HOO!

I need to first give a HUGE "THANK YOU!" to SuperTheGreat, he had that very nice Forsberg White Away jersey that he posted about shortly after Christmas. It wasn't long after he had posted that he was going to put it up for sale that I contacted him.

Well...circumstances beyond my control prevented me from having the money for him until just this past weekend. We PM'd each other and talked back and forth, and on Saturday I sent him his payment. Imagine my surprise when TODAY my package arrived!

Thanks again SuperTheGreat! I love it already man!
You are very welcome! Glad it got into the hands of a fellow die-hard avs fan, and it's great to hear that you love it. Always happy to help.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:05 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Seems like today's the day for arrivals. First Rock, and now here's my newest. As usual I'm totally pumped! Been wearing it around the house off and on since it arrived. 2010 Forsberg MoDo. This one's a replica. They don't make authentic Swedish Elite League jerseys, so the only way to get one is to score a game-worn, which I assume is extremely unlikely, would be extremely expensive, I'd have to strip it clean to start over, and it would be way too big for me anyway. So this time, a replica will do just fine. Got it as a blank on Ebay from a complete tool of a seller. Had to do a bunch of research online to match fonts, materials, and colors. Sent it to Triple Threat Sports in Illinois for customization and they did an outstanding job. I am SO excited to add this one to my Forsberg collection!

Last edited by SuperTheGreat: 08-18-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 08:13 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTheGreat View Post
Seems like today's the day for arrivals. First Rock, and now here's my newest. As usual I'm totally pumped! Been wearing it around the house off and on since it arrived. 2010 Forsberg MoDo. This one's a replica. They don't make authentic Swedish Elite League jerseys, so the only way to get one is to score a game-worn, which I assume is extremely unlikely, would be extremely expensive, I'd have to strip it clean to start over, and it would be way too big for me anyway. So this time, a replica will do just fine. Got it as a blank on Ebay from a complete tool of a seller. Had to do a bunch of research online to match fonts, materials, and colors. Sent it to Triple Threat Sports in Illinois for customization and they did an outstanding job. I am SO excited to add this one to my Forsberg collection!
Holy cow! That thing is a BEAUTY, in EVERY sense of the word! I'm so jealous right now!

Hey Super, can you answer something for me. I was pretty sure that while watching an Avs game recently, they showed some B-Roll of Altitude Authentics, and it LOOKED like they had all the current players jerseys on one side, and then on the other side Former Players jerseys in the current Edge styling, is that accurate?

If so I ABSOLUTELY need a Bourque/Roy one, and I have regretted not picking up another Sakic one...though I also need a Lando one since he's gotten the "C"....

But are you able to confirm/deny this for me?

Old
02-25-2013, 09:53 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
Holy cow! That thing is a BEAUTY, in EVERY sense of the word! I'm so jealous right now!

Hey Super, can you answer something for me. I was pretty sure that while watching an Avs game recently, they showed some B-Roll of Altitude Authentics, and it LOOKED like they had all the current players jerseys on one side, and then on the other side Former Players jerseys in the current Edge styling, is that accurate?

If so I ABSOLUTELY need a Bourque/Roy one, and I have regretted not picking up another Sakic one...though I also need a Lando one since he's gotten the "C"....

But are you able to confirm/deny this for me?
Yes, Altitude Authentics has current Edge jerseys with former players like Roy and Bourque. However, among jersey collectors, that's a no-no, a jersey foul. When I first got into collecting, I had designs on getting current players on the old style jerseys, but since I've been into the hobby, I've realized that the accuracy of a player and his jersey in the correct time frame and the correct style/design/cut is important. I don't want to come off as a jersey snob, but a player on a jersey in the wrong style from the wrong era just looks bad. Maybe Jay, or TheU can jump in and say it better, but if you get into collecting jerseys (and by the sounds of how many you just mentioned wanting to get - I'd say you might have been bitten by the bug), you'd most definitely look back and regret the purchase. Consider how you would have thought about a fan at the game vs. the Kings sitting in the stands wearing their new 3rd jersey, just like the team wore on the ice, with "Gretzky 99" on it. Besides, you'd probably spend less money by finding a jersey from the right period on Ebay (especially if you go replica) and sending it in to Denver Athletic and having them do it up. You can even send a blank jersey to me and I'd take it in for you & get it back safe & sound.

So as not to come off as a snob...All that said, it's your jersey and you can do what you want. You gotta do what makes you happy, and if you're not going to get hard & heavy into collecting and it won't bother you to have Roy or Bourque on an Edge style jersey, go ahead and do it. I have lesser fouls on jerseys of mine that I had done on purpose because they don't bother me.

In my most humble opinion - get a Sakic and a Landeskog in the Edge style and get the Roy and Bourque in the old style - all pre done - or - buy blanks and send them either here or to Denver Athletic. Thoughts?

Last edited by SuperTheGreat: 02-25-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 09:55 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTheGreat View Post
Yes, Altitude Authentics has current Edge jerseys with former players like Roy and Bourque. However, among jersey collectors, that's a no-no, a jersey foul. When I first got into collecting, I had designs on getting current players on the old style jerseys, but since I've been into the hobby, I've realized that the accuracy of a player and his jersey in the correct time frame and the correct style/design/cut is important. I don't want to come off as a jersey snob, but a player on a jersey in the wrong style from the wrong era just looks bad. Maybe Jay, or TheU can jump in and say it better, but if you get into collecting jerseys (and by the sounds of how many you just mentioned wanting to get - I'd say you might have been bitten by the bug), you'd most definitely look back and regret the purchase. Consider how you would have thought about a fan at the game vs. the Kings sitting in the stands wearing their new 3rd jersey, just like the team wore on the ice, with "Gretzky 99" on it. Besides, you'd probably spend less money by finding a jersey from the right period on Ebay (especially if you go replica) and sending it in to Denver Athletic and having them do it up. You can even send a blank jersey to me and I'd take it in for you & get it back safe & sound.

So as not to come off as a snob...All that said it's your jersey and you can do what you want. You gotta do what makes you happy, and if you're not going to get hard & heavy into collecting and it won't bother you to have Roy or Bourque on an Edge style jersey, go ahead and do it. I have lesser fouls on jerseys of mine that I had done on purpose because they don't bother me.

In my most humble opinion - get a Sakic and a Landeskog in the Edge style and get the Roy and Bourque in the old style - all pre done - or - buy blanks and send them either here or to Denver Athletic. Thoughts?
Interesting...I never looked at it like that. I guess the Forsberg/Sakic ones are alright because they did play in them.

I don't know if I'm a "collector" per se, I'm one of those weird guys who wears Jerseys like regular clothes.

But you're right...I've been "bitten" so to speak

Old
02-25-2013, 10:16 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
Interesting...I never looked at it like that. I guess the Forsberg/Sakic ones are alright because they did play in them.

I don't know if I'm a "collector" per se, I'm one of those weird guys who wears Jerseys like regular clothes.

But you're right...I've been "bitten" so to speak
Well, welcome to our sickness. If you have any time on your hands (what with working & moderating these boards) you may want to lurk for a while on the IceJerseys boards. The guys there are absolutely fantastic - knowledgeable and very attentive to details. Even if you just read through some threads to get educated and find perspective or get collectors' points of view, it's worth the time and will help you get the right jerseys for the right price.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

I'm 50/50 on jersey fouls. I own plenty, my CCM Claude Lemieux Devils jersey has the NHL 2000 patch on it even though the jerseys were made by Pro Player when the league had those patches. My Bobby Orr 1972 throwback has the name on it not just the number. My Pro Player Adam Foote has the 2001 ASG patch on it, even though the jerseys were CCM in 2001.

But they don't bother me. It's really to each his own. I wouldn't do a super jersey foul though, like a player in a jersey he's never worn. Or MY name on a jersey.

Nice hauls above guys. Love that MODO...ads and all.

Closed Thread