HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 09:45 PM
  #451
slightlystewpid420
Registered User
 
slightlystewpid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
why trade for 1 when you can just get 3 ? makes no sense. Why not just Draft Jones then trade him for scoring then if he's half as great as people here think he is? we should be able to get Sidney Crosby AND Malkin for Jones.
sorry theres absolutley no possible way Jones improves the team, none, zero, ziltch, zip, nadda.
So playing better defense doesn't help the team? This is a move that gives the team a real identity. It gives them a defense that Generates offense and a defense that when they are in their own zone you know the job is going to get done and keeping players on the outside, leading to lower % shots and more turnovers. If we have two top 5 picks I would take Jones all day. I get that you can't win without offense. I'd rather only have to score 3 goals to win instead of 6.

slightlystewpid420 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:53 PM
  #452
LetsGOJackets!!
Registered User
 
LetsGOJackets!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 2,513
vCash: 500
right on

stewpid, I agree 100%. I always find it funny when people say more than 100% to try and emphasize their point.

McKinnon is very hyped & I get that, and my chances to see him play have been limited, but I didn't much. Like his teammate Drouin(?). Also like Monahan and the finn.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:56 PM
  #453
OldGoaltender
Registered User
 
OldGoaltender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Triad NC
Country: United States
Posts: 808
vCash: 500
As a goalie I can attest that a good defense leads to a productive offense. A strong blue line also let's the wings and center attack more. You draft BPA no matter how stacked you are.

OldGoaltender is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:59 PM
  #454
slightlystewpid420
Registered User
 
slightlystewpid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 goals = chili View Post
I think we can take Jones at 1 and then move one of Savard, Erixon, Wiz, Brass, the other 2 1sts for a top 6 scorer. Hell you may be able to move parts of those pieces for two scorers...
Yeah hats kinda what I mean but a Erixon + Brassard + 2 1sts could get us a legitimate first line center and maybe even a prospect back. It's still kinda early and that D could be whoever. Just some ideas. But if those picks are top 15 I wouldn't trade those picks unless we're getting an offer we can't refuse. Shot someone might even decide to offer a kings ransom for the first. Who knows what edm got if nyi offered us their entire draft for Murray, and Jones is arguably better than him.

slightlystewpid420 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:08 PM
  #455
slightlystewpid420
Registered User
 
slightlystewpid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoaltender View Post
As a goalie I can attest that a good defense leads to a productive offense. A strong blue line also let's the wings and center attack more. You draft BPA no matter how stacked you are.
Exactly where I'm coming from. Every team I've been on has definitely been more efficient on the offensive side when they had a better D behind them. The jackets coaches and management have been wanting to generate offense from the D. And this will do that in spades. I can only imagine wiz jj tyutin nik Murray and Jones all getting 20min/night. Than we still have Moore and Erixon for injuries or to move. I really don't see savard sticking around.


Last edited by slightlystewpid420: 01-28-2013 at 10:18 PM.
slightlystewpid420 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:16 PM
  #456
OldGoaltender
Registered User
 
OldGoaltender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Triad NC
Country: United States
Posts: 808
vCash: 500
I would be thrilled with Seth Jones. Defensive pairings of Jones/Murray and Exiron/Moore would be any GM's wish.

OldGoaltender is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:25 PM
  #457
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,155
vCash: 500
12.5% of the way into the season, and we're all arguing over which of the consensus top-2 picks we'd rather see in Columbus...

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:25 PM
  #458
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
5 on 3 PP 0 points and people still think Seth Jones is an option LOL!
Is anyone else starting to think that this is Doug MacLean in disguise?



One powerplay doesn't make or break an entire season. In spite of that 5 on 3 failed powerplay, the Jackets went on to win the game ... while only allowing one goal. Ask the Edmonton Oilers if having enough talent to score 5-6 goals every night is the key to success. They didn't go out and completely re-vamp their defense in the offseason because they won the Cup last year.

As a new person to the board, I suggest you stop being so bullish about your points, or you will be quickly shunned by many of the intelligent posters around here and thus, will have nobody that wants to talk about hockey with you.

Just a thought.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:26 PM
  #459
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
12.5% of the way into the season, and we're all arguing over which of the consensus top-2 picks we'd rather see in Columbus...
I think the argument is more about "I'm right and you're wrong" than anything else. Personally, I don't see us being in a position to draft either of these players, unless we win the lottery.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:27 PM
  #460
slightlystewpid420
Registered User
 
slightlystewpid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoaltender View Post
I would be thrilled with Seth Jones. Defensive pairings of Jones/Murray and Exiron/Moore would be any GM's wish.
Trade wiz and tyutin (if Nikitin pans out for the next 2 years) and have JJ and Nik with Reilly developing and hopefully ready to play some AHL games within the next 3 years.
JJ Murray
Moore Jones
Erixon Nikitin
Eh? Eh?

slightlystewpid420 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:37 PM
  #461
slightlystewpid420
Registered User
 
slightlystewpid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
12.5% of the way into the season, and we're all arguing over which of the consensus top-2 picks we'd rather see in Columbus...
It's more fun thinking about the future that could be, than what will likely happen.

slightlystewpid420 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:39 PM
  #462
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I think the argument is more about "I'm right and you're wrong" than anything else. Personally, I don't see us being in a position to draft either of these players, unless we win the lottery.
If it were really about "I'm right and you're wrong", why am I not participating in it?

I still think that, all things considered, this may be one of those drafts where #14, #16, and #19 all end up as clearly better players than #3, 4, and 5. Will Ryan Pulock make people forget about Cam Fowler falling? Will Sean Monahan step in as an 18-year-old and look like an excellent two-way player? Will Artturi Lehkonen hit 25 goals before he's 20 years old?

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:40 PM
  #463
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
5 on 3 PP 0 points and people still think Seth Jones is an option LOL!
You do know 5 on 3's are usually quarterbacked by the defenseman, which Jones is? Jones is a defenseman, but he can still put up 30+ points when he becomes an NHL defenseman. Thats very valuable.

CBJBrassard16 is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:48 PM
  #464
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
It's more fun thinking about the future that could be, than what will likely happen.
I think you just blew the cover off the entire wedding and bridal industries in one single sentence there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
You do know 5 on 3's are usually quarterbacked by the defenseman, which Jones is? Jones is a defenseman, but he can still put up 30+ points when he becomes an NHL defenseman. Thats very valuable.
Personally, I wonder why. In theory, a 5-on-3 situation should be quarterbacked off the goal line toward the corner by a forward, rather than up high by a defenseman. By having the QB up high, the team on the PK is able to run an inverted triangle, which means continually trying to force one-timers.

But by running it from the goal line or the bottom of a circle, it forces the PK to reverse that alignment; they'd have to have two PKers down low (to pressure the QB and to clear the front of the net). But it would allow the point men to roam freely, enabling the one-timer to come from either direction. And by being able to move back and forth down the goal line, it would open up every imaginable passing lane with a minimum of restrictions.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:50 PM
  #465
CBJFan19*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Is anyone else starting to think that this is Doug MacLean in disguise?



One powerplay doesn't make or break an entire season. In spite of that 5 on 3 failed powerplay, the Jackets went on to win the game ... while only allowing one goal. Ask the Edmonton Oilers if having enough talent to score 5-6 goals every night is the key to success. They didn't go out and completely re-vamp their defense in the offseason because they won the Cup last year.

As a new person to the board, I suggest you stop being so bullish about your points, or you will be quickly shunned by many of the intelligent posters around here and thus, will have nobody that wants to talk about hockey with you.

Just a thought.


let me know when we're not in the bottom of the league in scoring, then ill consider worrying about defense.

CBJFan19* is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:51 PM
  #466
CBJFan19*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
So playing better defense doesn't help the team? This is a move that gives the team a real identity. It gives them a defense that Generates offense and a defense that when they are in their own zone you know the job is going to get done and keeping players on the outside, leading to lower % shots and more turnovers. If we have two top 5 picks I would take Jones all day. I get that you can't win without offense. I'd rather only have to score 3 goals to win instead of 6.

Nope playing better defense doesn't help the team when you're so weak in scoring.

CBJFan19* is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:53 PM
  #467
CBJFan19*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
every day of the week, he solidifies the defense & and allows everyone else to be more aggressive, makes your goalie better, maker the PP better, PK better, coaches better.

Did I mention we would be a better team with Jones & Murray on the 1st pairing?

Wouldn't mind a huge influx of offense, & I generally agree that we lack snipers especially RW power forwards, but I would like to build a team the way the Preds did & opposite of what we did the first decade.

im sorry how many Cups does Nashville have?

CBJFan19* is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 10:57 PM
  #468
slightlystewpid420
Registered User
 
slightlystewpid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
12.5% of the way into the season, and we're all arguing over which of the consensus top-2 picks we'd rather see in Columbus...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
If it were really about "I'm right and you're wrong", why am I not participating in it?

I still think that, all things considered, this may be one of those drafts where #14, #16, and #19 all end up as clearly better players than #3, 4, and 5. Will Ryan Pulock make people forget about Cam Fowler falling? Will Sean Monahan step in as an 18-year-old and look like an excellent two-way player? Will Artturi Lehkonen hit 25 goals before he's 20 years old?
This is more likely except maybe high twenties for NYRs. This is where hopefully the new scouts can payoff.

slightlystewpid420 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:05 PM
  #469
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
This is more likely except maybe high twenties for NYRs. This is where hopefully the new scouts can payoff.
I'm curious to see where the tier breakdown ends up being. Can Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, or Lindholm end up in that same level as Jones and MacKinnon? Does the second tier end up shrinking (if those guys move up), or growing (as others move up)? How large can the third tier be? And does New Jersey end up forfeiting this year's first-rounder entirely?

In the last few days, I've seen projections that have players being unable to be pegged down...anywhere from 8th to 32nd for guys like Bo Horvat. I wouldn't be shocked to see a couple of consensus high-end guys fall not because they stagnated, but because other guys turned it on toward the end of the year.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:15 PM
  #470
CBJ Scruffy
Registered User
 
CBJ Scruffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Planet Express Co.
Country: Canada
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I think the argument is more about "I'm right and you're wrong" than anything else. Personally, I don't see us being in a position to draft either of these players, unless we win the lottery.
To that point, what's the word on the draft lottery after the CBA? I know there were discussions/murmurs about changing it so all 14 teams out of the playoffs have a slight chance at #1 overall. Did this happen or is it something that might be considered more in the future?

CBJ Scruffy is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:25 PM
  #471
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Scruffy View Post
To that point, what's the word on the draft lottery after the CBA? I know there were discussions/murmurs about changing it so all 14 teams out of the playoffs have a slight chance at #1 overall. Did this happen or is it something that might be considered more in the future?
It happened.

CBJBrassard16 is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:40 PM
  #472
Sore Loser
Since 2009
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
If it were really about "I'm right and you're wrong", why am I not participating in it?

I still think that, all things considered, this may be one of those drafts where #14, #16, and #19 all end up as clearly better players than #3, 4, and 5. Will Ryan Pulock make people forget about Cam Fowler falling? Will Sean Monahan step in as an 18-year-old and look like an excellent two-way player? Will Artturi Lehkonen hit 25 goals before he's 20 years old?
That's the thing about this draft, something I keep getting at also. I personally wouldn't be disappointed to see us come away with a guy like Ryan Pulock or Sean Monahan. Though they aren't on the same level as a Jones or MacKinnon, these are players with HUGE upside that could eventually surpass them (see: Tyler Seguin/Taylor Hall).

I'm very high on Pulock in particular. I was just a little kid watching a young Al MacInnis play, however I see an almost identical player in every way in Ryan Pulock. It was very interesting to hear the CBJ brass talking about him in that JD video they posted awhile back - comments like "if the guy tries to block the shot, you break his leg" ... that's the kind of player you're getting in Ryan Pulock, a guy who may get overlooked from time to time, but will wind up being one of the top players to come out of this draft.

Earlier in the thread, someone compared Monahan to Sean Couturier ... that's a good comparison, and an honest assessment of his talent. Looks like a solid bet to become a top-6 center with shutdown potential; a Ryan Kesler type of player.

It's variables like this that make me not want to deal away our picks, not even to move up in this draft. It's just such a strong class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan19 View Post
im sorry how many Cups does Nashville have?
Have to make the playoffs to win the Cup. And Nashville knows how to make the playoffs - and on a budget, every year, no less.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 11:55 PM
  #473
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Have to make the playoffs to win the Cup. And Nashville knows how to make the playoffs - and on a budget, every year, no less.
That's all well and good, but if we're going to model ourselves after a franchise, why wouldn't we try to model ourselves after a top franchise instead of an upper-middle one?

FANonymous is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 01:25 AM
  #474
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
That's all well and good, but if we're going to model ourselves after a franchise, why wouldn't we try to model ourselves after a top franchise instead of an upper-middle one?
Oh dear G-d, here we go again.

Thanks a TON, new guy. We had just gotten past this mishegaas...


As for the original comment on how Murray+Jones is a silly thing to go drafting for - consider asking Chicago just how well they did - and continue to do - with Keith+Seabrook.

Personally, I'd like to prioritize forwards as well, but that's no reason to take leave of one's senses and pretend that Jones is somehow an unreasonable opportunity expense.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 01:34 AM
  #475
slightlystewpid420
Registered User
 
slightlystewpid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
That's all well and good, but if we're going to model ourselves after a franchise, why wouldn't we try to model ourselves after a top franchise instead of an upper-middle one?
The Jackets are in a unique position. Restarting a franchise with a defensive heavy roster, a lot of depth players, and a few promising young players (Murray, Atkinson, Johansen, Moore). This needs to be the season someone steps up whether it's a vet, newcomer, or youngster. Somebody needs to take control. But the future of the organization could lie in this draft. I think that's what making being a jacket fan this year so excited, even if we don't make the playoffs, we have the draft to look forward to. I'll be watching LA and NYR a lot more this season...

slightlystewpid420 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.