HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

B. Schenn/ Couturier

Old
01-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I don't think you see the word "genius" enough in responses to your posts. Whenever I see you respond in a thread, I'm always expecting to see something geniusy.
Thank you sir.

However, I believe the correct term here is "Howsony"

01-28-2013, 10:11 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Thank you sir.

However, I believe the correct term here is "Howsony"
That's true. "Howsony" is a geniuser word.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Le Oranje

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Scored 29 goals last year and is arguably our best forward so far this year. And how did he get hosed in the Carter deal? Even if Voracek doesn't work out (I think he'll be fine), he still got Couturier and traded the 2nd rounder for Grossmann, who has been playing very well. If anything, he made out like a bandit.

As for the main topic of the thread, it's been 6 games. Relax. Both are young and still have lots of potential. Lots of players get off to slow starts and/or go through cold streaks. That's hockey.
And one of those picks turned into Nick Cousins, IIRC.

Couturier? I'm not worried at all. Schenn? I'm not seeing anything more than borderline 2nd liner at best.

Le Oranje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:38 PM
captainpaxil

honestly i think read has stolen that first line spot from both schenn and voracek. id like to see schenn at lw with briere and voracek. let him establish his physical game or drop him down to cooters line after hartnell gets back

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Victory5

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
honestly i think read has stolen that first line spot from both schenn and voracek. id like to see schenn at lw with briere and voracek. let him establish his physical game or drop him down to cooters line after hartnell gets back
As of right now, yes.

I view Sean as more of a defensive minded forward. He can score, but hes a great PK guy and as we saw last year, can shut down another top player easily.

Schenn is an enigma, I feel like he should be a solid 2nd line player right now, but he hasnt developed into that yet. He is still very very young, so maybe give him another year or so...who knows.

That being said, we do need to get better production out of all three of them (schenn, couts, and jake) because without those three producing, our O is pretty much G, Hartnell, read, and simmonds. Which is OK, but not for a playoff team.

Victory5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:04 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Oranje View Post
And one of those picks turned into Nick Cousins, IIRC.

Couturier? I'm not worried at all. Schenn? I'm not seeing anything more than borderline 2nd liner at best.
You're right I was mistaken...we didn't get a 2nd rounder in the Carter deal. It must've been LA's 2nd rounder that we traded for Grossmann.

I agree with you about Couturier. He's gonna be just fine. Best case, he finds his offensive game and becomes a Patrice Bergeron-like player. Worst case, he doesn't reach his offensive potential and is one of the best defensive forwards in the league. I'd rather the best case but I'm happy either way.

I'm a little worried about Schenn too, but he's still only 21. We'll just have to wait and see.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:21 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
You're right I was mistaken...we didn't get a 2nd rounder in the Carter deal. It must've been LA's 2nd rounder that we traded for Grossmann.

I agree with you about Couturier. He's gonna be just fine. Best case, he finds his offensive game and becomes a Patrice Bergeron-like player. Worst case, he doesn't reach his offensive potential and is one of the best defensive forwards in the league. I'd rather the best case but I'm happy either way.

I'm a little worried about Schenn too, but he's still only 21. We'll just have to wait and see.
I get worried about Schenn too sometimes but then I remember he hasn't even played 82 games in the NHL yet.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:52 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

We're doomed.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:59 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I am a little skeptical of B. Schenn. After watching him so far, I just havent seen anything that says to me "hey this kids gonna be something special". When G first came up, his skill and playmaking ability was pretty obvious, and he showed glimpses of the player we saw last year. JVR was kind of the same way, he occasionally showed how dominant he can be...he just never achieved it consistently while he was here. Couturier has shown to have an incredible hockey IQ at such a young age, I have no doubts about him.

With Schenn though, I just dont know. He has shown he can throw big hits, but offensively I havent seen him do anything to suggest he has it in him to be a 70 point player consistently. His shot isnt anything special, neither is his playmaking...and his hockey sense doesnt seem to be anything special either. To be honest, Laughton has impressed me more so far.

He is only 21, so its way too early to consider him a bust...I just have been disappointed so far. When he was traded here, he was considered "the best prospect not in the NHL"...I just havent seen that yet.
I actually completely agree with this post. When Giroux was a wee one you could see it. Same with Cooter. I simply haven't seen it with Schenn. He's never really stood out to me offensively and has never made me say "Wow, this kid is going to be something."

I consider myself good at being unbiased when trying to look at players objectively and just go with my gut, which is based on what I see. I want Schenn to be great, he just hasn't shown me anything really yet.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:37 AM
TheLegendkiller

Schenn wont be some dynamic forward that creates a ton of offfense. He'll be a physical 2-way forward that has a knack for scoring in big games. He'll be able to win puck battles and make **** happen. Or he might just end up as a slightly more offensive Ryane Clowe. Which is also badass.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:05 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I actually completely agree with this post. When Giroux was a wee one you could see it. Same with Cooter. I simply haven't seen it with Schenn. He's never really stood out to me offensively and has never made me say "Wow, this kid is going to be something."

I consider myself good at being unbiased when trying to look at players objectively and just go with my gut, which is based on what I see. I want Schenn to be great, he just hasn't shown me anything really yet.
Schenn will never be a "wow" player even if he hits his peak ability. I think the best comparison would be Shane Doan. He didnt break out until his 5th year. Look at Shane Doan statistics:
Rookie Season : 74 games played 7 goals 17pts
2nd season : 63 gp 4 gls 12 pts
3rd season: 33 gp 5 gls 11 pts
4th season : 79 gp 6 gls 22 pts
5th season : 81 gp 26 gls 51pts
He has only scored less than 20 goals once (18) in the 12 years since. Point being is that patient is needed.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:04 AM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothless Couts View Post
I get worried about Schenn too sometimes but then I remember he hasn't even played 82 games in the NHL yet.
Exactly. I want to see him play a full 82 game season. I think that'll give us a better idea of how he will turn out.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:15 PM
BernieParent

To me, the ideal pairing for Schenn is Briere. Briere controls the puck and Schenn either moves into the slot or fights to the net for a rebound. Schenn could also complement Briere on an odd-man rush.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
I believe Couts is a complete win-win, whatever happens.

Worst case scenario: 50pts per year shutdown centre in running for Selke... Guy Carboneau points figures, prob less Selkes due to more obsession with points since 90's.

Best case scenario: PPG centre with 3 Selkes over career. (Ron Francis clone?)

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:29 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I believe Couts is a complete win-win, whatever happens.

Worst case scenario: 50pts per year shutdown centre in running for Selke... Guy Carboneau points figures, prob less Selkes due to more obsession with points since 90's.

Best case scenario: PPG centre with 3 Selkes over career. (Ron Francis clone?)
Before cout's draft year, i remember some comparisons to Lecavalier... don't know how accurate that is now, though.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:51 PM
kicksave27

I have no worries about couts, his hockey IQ is off the charts. Schenn was hurt most of last year and had no training camp this year, he really hasn't had a chance to get on a roll.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:55 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Last two games Schenn has had some really odd falls into the boards with his head bearing the brunt of the impact. I hope he doesn't become concussed again or is playing concussed.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote