HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Has there ever been a "Bo Jackson" type player in the NHL?

Old
01-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Crosbyfan

vCash: 500
Beliveau probably could have played pro baseball if not for hockey. He was offered but turned down a minor pro baseball contract when just 15.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
you're wrong and don't come from a lacrosse background or lacrosse hot bed.

This is such fail.

How is it a rich white kids?... Hockey has that stigma WAY more than hockey. Much more expensive to play hockey than lacrosse.

Anyways for the thread Grant Fuhr was drafted by the Pirates as well as playing for the Oilers.
It isn't really a rich white kid sport (that's golf, squash, sailing, etc.) but it's definitely one of the most "bro" sports. Hockey is a pretty "bro" sport as well, but tbh I think Lacrosse takes the crown there. In high school and college they dress like absolute fools with popped collar bright pink/green shirts and lax pinnys all the time, not to mention the lax "flow" (although that is admittedly present in hockey too).

Not a fan of lacrosse but it's definitely a competitive sport at the college level. ESPN even airs the college finals nationally. That said nobody gives a crap about MLL, so it doesn't go beyond college at all.

Anyways Bo Jackson was a freak, too bad about the injuries...

Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:27 PM
silkyjohnson50*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Seems like a lot of kids these days like to rave about Lebron's 'athleticism' at every chance they get.
Name a comparable athlete.

He's a combination that I've never before seen in sports. Guys have been as skilled, but they didn't have his physical gifts. And the guys who come close physically speaking haven't been as skilled. He handles the ball like a skilled point guard, but he's 6'8, 250 and can jump out of the gym and run the court with anyone.

Bo Jackson had a pure speed and strength combo that we've never seen. He was the fastest guy on the field, yet at the same time one of the strongest. That's the definition of amazing physical talent. But even he didn't have LeBron's height/length and skill level IMO.

I'm impartial. James has never played for my favorite team or even against them in any significance. I don't love him and I don't hate him. But I do marvel at his God given ability.

silkyjohnson50* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Bo Jackson didn't just play two sports. He was a legit star in both.

That's even harder to do.
Deion Sanders was also a two star athlete on the pro level

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Lol the guy you talking about is 6'2 195lbs . Nowhere close to Lebron James 6'8 253 lbs.
Andre The Giant was 7'4" 550 lbs. What is your point, Beibler?

Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:31 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
Pronger(in his prime) would dominate Lebron or Bo in any series of athletic competition or just about any kind of obstacle course.
I love Pronger and even I know this is hysterically untrue.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:08 AM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Pittsburgh Pirates Shortstop Dick Groat who was named National League MVP in 1960 after winning the batting title and was an eight-time all-star was drafted third overall by the NBA. He was player of the year twice in college hoops and set the NCAA scoring record at the time. Played very little in the NBA because of military service then stuck with only baseball afterward.

I think he's the only guy to be enshrined in both the collegiate baseball and basketball halls of fame.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Well, according to ESPN, Anssi Salmela.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:41 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Deion Sanders was also a two star athlete on the pro level
Nah, Deion was a HOF cornerback but he wasn't much of a ballplayer. He just ran fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Beliveau probably could have played pro baseball if not for hockey. He was offered but turned down a minor pro baseball contract when just 15.
Besides Harvey and Beliveau, Jacques Plante was also a terrific baseball player and got offered a contract. Maurice Richard was no mug at baseball either.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:09 AM
mbhhofr

Gene Conley, baseball and basketball. Pitcher for 1957 World Series champion Milwaukee Braves. Winning pitcher 1955 All Star game. Played on 3 Boston Celtic NBA championship teams, 1959-1961.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Conley

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Canadiens1958

Vic Janowicz

1950 Heisman Trophy winner. NFL - Washington running back. MLB - Pittsburgh catcher. Car accident ended his career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Janowicz

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

I didn't read the entire thread, but Joe Nieuwendyk should be mentioned, if he hasn't been already. From his wiki page...

Quote:
He played both hockey and lacrosse growing up and the latter considered his better sport. At one point, Nieuwendyk was considered the top junior lacrosse player in Canada. He earned a spot with the Whitby Warriors junior A team at the age of 15, and was named the most valuable player of the Minto Cup tournament in 1984 when he led the Warriors to the national championship. The Ontario Lacrosse Association later named its junior A rookie of the year award after Nieuwendyk.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:27 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Bears View Post
Pretty sure he played QB in college, or maybe just high school.
High School, he was a star QB and could have gone the NFL route if he wanted as I understand it.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:37 PM
BamBamCam*

Not sure why Jim Brown is not getting the love in this thread. I don't think Bo can compete with Brown nevermind anyone else competing with Bo.

Jim Brown lettered in football 3 times but lettered 4 time in lacrosse. By all reports, he was a better lacrosse player than football, but it doesn't stop there. He was on Syracuse's basketball team and track team. He is also in the Pro Football, Lacrosse and the Collegiate HoF.

Bo doesn't know Brown

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:19 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post

He's a combination that I've never before seen in sports. Guys have been as skilled, but they didn't have his physical gifts. And the guys who come close physically speaking haven't been as skilled. He handles the ball like a skilled point guard, but he's 6'8, 250 and can jump out of the gym and run the court with anyone.

Bo Jackson had a pure speed and strength combo that we've never seen. He was the fastest guy on the field, yet at the same time one of the strongest. That's the definition of amazing physical talent. But even he didn't have LeBron's height/length and skill level IMO.

I'm impartial. James has never played for my favorite team or even against them in any significance. I don't love him and I don't hate him. But I do marvel at his God given ability.
I guess it depends on your definition of athlete, size matters not! I will agree that LeBron is a freak on the basketball court; but I'll agree to disagree about his athletic prowess.
To me, Bo Jackson might have been the pinnacle example of an athlete (at least in my lifetime). I'm far too young to have watched Jim Brown.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:19 PM
popo

Reading the thread title before the first post, I brainstormed for a hockey player who was an off the charts physical freak and dominant, but had a career cut short by injury. I thought of Eric Lindros.
Obviously he doesn't fit the actual criteria of two-sport superstar though.

popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Crease

Some physicians say that Bo was so incredibly strong, and there was so much force and energy behind his strides, that a normal NFL running back or full back would have gotten up without issue from the tackle that effectively pulled his leg out of his hip socket.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Nah, Deion was a HOF cornerback but he wasn't much of a ballplayer. He just ran fast.

Besides Harvey and Beliveau, Jacques Plante was also a terrific baseball player and got offered a contract. Maurice Richard was no mug at baseball either.
I think Harvey was quite a football player as well.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:46 PM
DJ Man

Sometimes when Glenn Hall would make a great glove save, Lloyd Pettit would tell us that he'd have been a great first baseman. I don't think it was a serious argument.

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:02 PM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
I bet Seth Jones could be an NBA player if he didn't choose to play hockey.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:20 PM
crobro

a few that come to mind

bob bourne bhockey/baseball

kirk mc caskill winnipeg jets-california angels

peter zezel nhl-canadian soccer league

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:04 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Racette View Post
Not to mention the scheduling! Football and baseball never overlap... unless his baseball team makes the playoffs.
Huh? The MLB regular season overlaps with the NFL preseason and the first month of the NFL season. The MLB playoffs would overlap another three weeks or so.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:12 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

I'm sure you could find tons of guy's who played in the NHL that are better golfers than Deion was at baseball or Jordan with baseball. Same with lacrosse. The guy who was mentioned earlier in this thread has a pretty insane resume that honestly could probably stack up against anybody's.

In terms of being a physical specimen? Not even close tho. You don't need elite athletic ability to play in the NHL. Wayne.G is the best hockey player of all time in most people's eyes and look at him .. you're average joe could probably beat him in a race or jump higher

NBA/NFL just have those crazy athlete's. Guy's who are simply on another planet. Has the NHL even had a player that you could compare to a Vince Carter or Kobe Bryant? Randy Moss? I don't think so. Chara is an extremely strong guy but has nowhere near the mobility of a McGee or Dwight Howard who are bigger. In terms of speed, quickness, vertical, strength, size etc. NHL player don't stack up. Probably because they use sticks and skates ... really that's the great thing about hockey. Don't need to be 6+ feet and have crazy genetic gifts.

ANewHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:19 PM
CC321

Lionel Conacher,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Conacher

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:19 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post

I don't know, Usain Bolt? Michael Phelps? Going pound for pound maybe Bruce Lee?

That's not really the point though. Keep in mind that hockey is the only professional sport I really follow, one where athleticism doesn't get brought up that often. While the more a player has the better, this really isn't the deciding factor in what makes a professional hockey player. 'Athleticism' is basically measured at every draft combine, and while the top athlete always gets a star by his name guys like Patrick Kane still go first overall.

But anyways, there's basically three things I know about Lebron James. 1, the SNAFU in him leaving Cleveland, 2, he finally won his first championship last year, and 3, he has this amazing legendary god-like athleticism. I mean the other two you couldn't help but overhear in sporting news, but in any online forum all I ever seem to hear is people raving about his athleticism athleticism athleticism!!!

I know he's the top basketball player right now but as an outside observer it always makes me think of Martin Skoula's amazing puck poise.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote