HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are the Bruins' needs?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2013, 01:55 AM
  #251
Lord Ahriman
Registered User
 
Lord Ahriman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
According to cap geek the bruins could add a 4 mil plus contract today and a 17 mil worth of players at the deadline. That's all before and Savard LTIR. In a trade other teams can also keep cap dollars.
It's not the real situation, because they are including bonus cushion. By the deadline we will have, if nothing goes wrong, ~$4.4M (not including Savard on LTIR).

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:22 AM
  #252
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,007
vCash: 500
Jarome Iginla.

IF your team doesn't have him, Boston declines.

In all seriousness, a veteran leader like Recchi to play on the third line. IN a dream world it is Iginla who also comes in to help this PP. Keep your eyes on Calgary once again out west. Only one win so far and Iginla is a UFA in the summer.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:45 AM
  #253
Alicat
Charge!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BOSTON
Country: United States
Posts: 22,274
vCash: 500
We have Horton, Ference, Rask and Khudobin all up after this season. Their current salaries:
Horton - $4 mil
Ference $2.25 mil
Rask - $3.5 mil
Khudobin - $875,000

Ideally, you bring them all back. How how much do you give them?

My numbers:

Horton - $4.5 mil
Ference $2.5 mil
Tuukka - $5 mil
Khudobin - $1.3 mil

__________________
"I choose to focus on the things I CAN do and am passionate about." - Sam Berns

I am Boston Strong
6.15.11
4.15.13

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:52 AM
  #254
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
It's not the real situation, because they are including bonus cushion. By the deadline we will have, if nothing goes wrong, ~$4.4M (not including Savard on LTIR).
Sure it's a real situation. 4.4 million may be the total cap space they'll have available however guys like Iginla will be owed only approx 1/3 their current contract at the deadline as their team will have paid out 2/3rds already. 17 mill is the total of yearly salaries Boston is projected to be able to acquire at the deadline, not actual money. Boston can add Iginla because his cap hit at the deadline will not be 7million, rather it will be 2.something million. That said...

You don't include bonuses until they're hit. You plan for them as a lump sum total at the end of the season but you don't include the cushion in cap equations before hand else you skew the final totals. The max lump sum total Boston will have to plan for is Dougies number ($212,500) and Seguins (2.65mill) which equates to $2,862,500 and chances are all those bonuses won't be hit. So it will affect that final total, but not in a dramatic fashion. Come deadline the FO will have a decent idea of what bonuses will likely be hit and which ones they don't have to plan for. That 17 million total will drop because of it, but not likely that drastically.

Another factor that will likely drop that total, and will affect it more immediately will be call ups. If they bring up Caron or Krug for a few games their daily total will apply to the Bruins cap and lower that final number somewhat, though still not likely that drastically.

Boston won't be able to acquire 17 mill worth of contracts come deadline day, but 10-12 mill is very realistic and a relatively safe bet (assuming no acquisitions between then and now of course).

There's no reason to think Boston will be limited by cap space at all this year. They'll only be affected in regards to acquiring cap hits that extend beyond this year.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:22 AM
  #255
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 18,507
vCash: 500
Clowe and Murray

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:31 AM
  #256
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,019
vCash: 500
Iginla, gotta get this guy.


I guess NYR were going to sign Arnott but didn't like his physical condition. I really wouldn't mind the Bruins kicking tires on him, he's a big veteran presence and can play the PP.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:39 AM
  #257
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Iginla, gotta get this guy.


I guess NYR were going to sign Arnott but didn't like his physical condition. I really wouldn't mind the Bruins kicking tires on him, he's a big veteran presence and can play the PP.
I'd rather see NYR blow their cap space right now on a guy like Arnott honestly. It means they'll have far far less flexibility later on. Such a contract would be the difference between them being big players at the deadline or not imo.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:09 AM
  #258
Shaun
All Aboard
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,870
vCash: 500
i'm all for rescuing Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla from that ****** Calgary team.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:41 AM
  #259
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star
 
ToddRundgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerville MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Clowe and Murray
I'd love Clowe here. No clue what it would take, though.

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:02 AM
  #260
bruins04
Registered User
 
bruins04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
I'd love Clowe here. No clue what it would take, though.
I would too, but with the amount of expiring contracts SJ has, it is probably better to just wait until he's a free agent and target him for next years' team

bruins04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:31 AM
  #261
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff
 
PlayMakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellesley, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
I'd love Clowe here. No clue what it would take, though.
I would too but SJ would be foolish to trade him. He always looks like one of their best players in the playoffs.

I imagine he'd cost a lot as well. Everybody could use a guy like Clowe.

__________________
PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:29 PM
  #262
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star
 
ToddRundgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerville MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I would too but SJ would be foolish to trade him. He always looks like one of their best players in the playoffs.

I imagine he'd cost a lot as well. Everybody could use a guy like Clowe.
Yeah, I'm sure he would. I think it was last year that SJ fans seemed like they wanted to dump him. Obviously the front office didn't agree because there were no real rumors to him being shopped.

Can you imagine Clowe & Lucic on one line? Playing the Sabres? That would be insane.

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:56 PM
  #263
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I would too but SJ would be foolish to trade him. He always looks like one of their best players in the playoffs.

I imagine he'd cost a lot as well. Everybody could use a guy like Clowe.
Agreed, if you look up and down that Sharks roster, he`s THE guy who has playoff type player written all over him in regards to never being worried about the guy doing anything and everything to win game in and out, love his game

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:47 PM
  #264
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
no he gave a list of teams which was the New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings, Pittsburgh Penguins, Boston Bruins, Philadelphia Flyers, San Jose Sharks.
You're right it was a short list.
I believe, however Rangers were his preference.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:50 PM
  #265
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,728
vCash: 500
Thanks to all.

As I suspected there is no good offer for Hamilton to Rangers both sides consider win win.

Just wanted to be sure.

I retire this thread to all you beantowners.... peace out.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:24 PM
  #266
Lord Ahriman
Registered User
 
Lord Ahriman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Sure it's a real situation. 4.4 million may be the total cap space they'll have available however guys like Iginla will be owed only approx 1/3 their current contract at the deadline as their team will have paid out 2/3rds already. 17 mill is the total of yearly salaries Boston is projected to be able to acquire at the deadline, not actual money. Boston can add Iginla because his cap hit at the deadline will not be 7million, rather it will be 2.something million. That said...

You don't include bonuses until they're hit. You plan for them as a lump sum total at the end of the season but you don't include the cushion in cap equations before hand else you skew the final totals. The max lump sum total Boston will have to plan for is Dougies number ($212,500) and Seguins (2.65mill) which equates to $2,862,500 and chances are all those bonuses won't be hit. So it will affect that final total, but not in a dramatic fashion. Come deadline the FO will have a decent idea of what bonuses will likely be hit and which ones they don't have to plan for. That 17 million total will drop because of it, but not likely that drastically.

Another factor that will likely drop that total, and will affect it more immediately will be call ups. If they bring up Caron or Krug for a few games their daily total will apply to the Bruins cap and lower that final number somewhat, though still not likely that drastically.

Boston won't be able to acquire 17 mill worth of contracts come deadline day, but 10-12 mill is very realistic and a relatively safe bet (assuming no acquisitions between then and now of course).

There's no reason to think Boston will be limited by cap space at all this year. They'll only be affected in regards to acquiring cap hits that extend beyond this year.

No, it's not, Kaoz. Let's assume a full season (just for argument), our cap payroll is $68.931M (including bonuses), so we would have ~ $1.261M free cap space. Full season means 186 days and by the deadline will remain 41 days to the end. Assuming no major injuries, by the deadline the Bruins would have banked ~$0.983M, so:

0.983/41(remaining days)x186 = 4.459M

That's the real number. Of course you can add Savard LTIR and if possible trading Thomas only for cap reasons.


In your opinion you don't include bonuses, but I think that's the right call, i.e., saving that money and no having any worries about next season.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:31 PM
  #267
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 12,516
vCash: 500
I like Ference, but I think he's going to be a cap causality unless he signs for cheaper than what he's making, which is a fair deal for what he brings.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:47 PM
  #268
sjaustin77
Registered User
 
sjaustin77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
No, it's not, Kaoz. Let's assume a full season (just for argument), our cap payroll is $68.931M (including bonuses), so we would have ~ $1.261M free cap space. Full season means 186 days and by the deadline will remain 41 days to the end. Assuming no major injuries, by the deadline the Bruins would have banked ~$0.983M, so:

0.983/41(remaining days)x186 = 4.459M

That's the real number. Of course you can add Savard LTIR and if possible trading Thomas only for cap reasons.


In your opinion you don't include bonuses, but I think that's the right call, i.e., saving that money and no having any worries about next season.
This. Seguin is likely to hit all his bonuses as I believe he did last year. If you use that up you are taking $2.65M off next year's cap that is going down $6M with players like Looch, Marchand and Seguin salaries going up. I wouldn't and I'm sure Chia won't use much if any of the bonus space. What they do have is LTIR, possible trade of Thomas, and salary of player Iginla would be replacing.

I think they could add Iginla at the deadline without it hurting too much. To think they could actually add $17M without it hurting them is crazy. Technically they have that space. Realistically they don't unless they plan to lose at least 2 good players plus everyone they brought in & the assets used to get them. Getting more than 1 player of decent salary would really hurt the future of the Bruins being a serious contender because of the loss of current players, and loss of assets to acquire those high priced players.

sjaustin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:00 PM
  #269
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 7,557
vCash: 500
Needs? PMD? Haaa, Dougie has single handily put a rest to all the 'PMD to Boston' threads!!

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:13 PM
  #270
Rookie Chargers
Registered User
 
Rookie Chargers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Quebec
Country: Azores
Posts: 7,751
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Trade for Clowe, Purcell and Ryder, we'll be ROCK solid.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:14 AM
  #271
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 28,842
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
been watching Sobotka just toy with the Western Conference these past 10 days and its time to bring him back for the third line....Koko has no spot, undersized, and wont play in Providence. He's also very good friends with Tarasenko. Time to right the wrong

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:18 AM
  #272
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey
 
Kovi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,357
vCash: 500
I miss 'Botka.

his solidness would be great for our 3rd line

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:06 AM
  #273
vjcsmoke
Registered User
 
vjcsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Jarome Iginla.

IF your team doesn't have him, Boston declines.

In all seriousness, a veteran leader like Recchi to play on the third line. IN a dream world it is Iginla who also comes in to help this PP. Keep your eyes on Calgary once again out west. Only one win so far and Iginla is a UFA in the summer.
Would LOVE Iginla. But very little chance of that happening.
Bruins need to fix their 3rd line and PP.
By adding Iginla, they could bump one player down to the 3rd line to improve it as well as getting rid of the 'not earning his ice time' Bourque.
Addition by subtraction.

Iginla would help the Bruins with both issues at once. Not to mention he would give them another premier scoring threat and bring more veteran experience for the playoffs.

vjcsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:10 AM
  #274
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 15,015
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
been watching Sobotka just toy with the Western Conference these past 10 days and its time to bring him back for the third line....Koko has no spot, undersized, and wont play in Providence. He's also very good friends with Tarasenko. Time to right the wrong
Yea but St. Sobotka can only play center.

There is no one I miss less than that guy.. talk about overrated.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:57 AM
  #275
Shaun
All Aboard
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Yea but St. Sobotka can only play center.

There is no one I miss less than that guy.. talk about overrated.
I agree 100%.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.